Long range Agni missile & test launch :Part-1

ranganathan
BRFite

Post by ranganathan »

pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

Way to go!

^
Those are awesome pictures.

My favorite is actually this:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/SCG ... 773935.JPG

Nothing fancy-shmancy, no jackboots no nothing, just a bunch of paunchy guys and a super cool lady with humilty and grit etched on their faces. My sashtanga pranam.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

^^^

Ok, so amongst those responsible for shoving a 17 x 2 meter lightpole up the musharraf of the pious (and lizard) resulting in severe enlightenment is a kufr rice eating sari-clad shrimati ji.

The pious are not amused... :twisted:

Sherry has a new job!

Well done DRDO!
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Arun_S wrote:My guess is that this test will involve using a upper stage motor that is now made of composite material. Very likely a 3 stage missile. Aka Agni-3A version. I think they are still searching their cajohns (little balls lost in the Pokhran) for the MIRV configuration hence, will most likely carry RV-Mk3, all this press report of MIRV is lets say just bakwas.
HariC wrote:One of the bestAgni III pics
From the pictures, it seems to be 2 stage (onleee) with the payload adaptor and no MIRV. The vented interstage is very much present. Looks identical to A-III (2). Unless there is some deep SDRE earth-e-shatter going on with the pictures.
Last edited by Anujan on 07 May 2008 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

pradeepe wrote:Way to go!

^

Nothing fancy-shmancy, no jackboots no nothing, just a bunch of paunchy guys and a super cool lady with humilty and grit etched on their faces. My sashtanga pranam.
OMG ! One of the guys in the pic is a schoolmate of mine ! :-o
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

rediff says range is 3000km indiatimes says 3500km now russian says it is 5000km. So the question remain what is the exact range of this missile?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Nitesh wrote:
rediff says range is 3000km indiatimes says 3500km now russian says it is 5000km. So the question remain what is the exact range of this missile?
Zero. I doubted it ever flew. I think the whole thing was photo shop'ed.

Congrats DRDO!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

pradeepe wrote:Way to go!

^

3 people wearing just sandals.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sandals - chi chi chi :twisted:
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

The Shrimatiji's look by itself can launch the Agni :)

I remember seeing her in another picture with Shri Avinash. This was an indoor one.

Yeah, whats with the Sandals. Kufr Indians with chappals launching agnis.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

The SDRE proud group has done it for India, sandals and all. Time for the Lizard to shut f^%& up and stop their belligerence in Tibet.

Way to go DRDO. Kudos.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Now the west can gloat its a SS20 copy.

Sandals and Saadis will deliver the Rose Garland~ under the hyde name of SS20 now. Thank you Russia.
shyamv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyamv »

pradeepe wrote: My favorite is actually this:
One ominous note here: Hardly anyone below 30... We need more young people working with these guys...
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

shyamv wrote: One ominous note here: Hardly anyone below 30... We need more young people working with these guys...
You should have seen the videos posted by JC, which were unfortunately removed or the pics by Colonel Shukla. Don't despair. 6th Pay commission will deal with the pipeline issues.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

Prasant wrote: OMG ! One of the guys in the pic is a schoolmate of mine ! :-o
Since you have already exclaimed, it opens the doors for questions by others. Was he the tall guy standing behind? No need to give his/her name.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Them sandals are super. As good a punch at History Channel's beautiful and deadly looking people as any :lol: Raises a question or two about Western contractors and public money.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

Deleted.
Last edited by Rahul Shukla on 07 May 2008 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

lakshmic wrote:
Arun_S wrote:My guess is that this test will involve using a upper stage motor that is now made of composite material. Very likely a 3 stage missile. Aka Agni-3A version. I think they are still searching their cajohns (little balls lost in the Pokhran) for the MIRV configuration hence, will most likely carry RV-Mk3, all this press report of MIRV is lets say just bakwas.
HariC wrote:One of the bestAgni III pics
From the pictures, it seems to be 2 stage (onleee) with the payload adapter and no MIRV. The vented interstage is very much present. Looks identical to A-III (2). Unless there is some deep SDRE earth-e-shatter going on with the pictures.
Indeed what was launched was a 2 stage missile. Few observations:
  • 1.) For the first time they released pics that shows the fine structure in the nose cones (all the patch antenna etc) that I had carefully masked out in the A3-D1 high res pic. Of course one can also see patch antenna on other stages.

2) The Chankian SRDE this time around left tell tale and (in fact made prominent) dashed lines on all the stages that mark the ends of solid fuel pressure vessel or mounting/separation point (for the SC explosive bolts). To give clear indication of how much garam masala did I fill in the volume. Once can then factor in length of the exhaust funnel and the available space left in the cylinder.

3.) No pic released this time of the puffing upper stage at the moment of lift off (unlike pics released at the time of D2).

4.) The TEL support point also gives fair bit of information. The support structure indicate the weight is born at the end of the stage (cantilever) and not at mid section of pressure vessel. Again reconfirms where the pressure vessel ends . (Of course the booster is supported differently due to other considerations)

5.) If one sees more carefully you can see where the location of 3rd stage motor will be. 8)

6.) I need to do more image analysis (in free time) but I see that the upper stage pressure vessel is a bit longer, compared to A3-D2.
Now some crystal gazing/analysis:
  • A.) They upper stage motor this time is composite case and not maraging steel used in A3-D2.

B.) The 1.5tonne payload, 350Km apogee altitude, 800 sec flight time are incompatible for any reasonable missile confign estimate for a normal trajectory. If only the missile did a mid-flight course change will the 350Km altitude and 800 second time be possible. That is akin to test of new Russian missiles.

C.) If one looks carefully at the black nose cone (zoom-in will help), one can see 4 parts (3 separation lines) with the outline of a small RV on the tip.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

Prasant wrote:OMG ! One of the guys in the pic is a schoolmate of mine !
There is only one 'guy' in the picture (unless you're ~ 50 yrs old). So the Amitabh Bachchan in the photoo was your school mate?

Ok.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

pradeepe wrote:The Shrimatiji's look by itself can launch the Agni :)

I remember seeing her in another picture with Shri Avinash. This was an indoor one.

Yeah, whats with the Sandals. Kufr Indians with chappals launching agnis.
She is Tessy Thomas, Associate Project Director.

Frontline Volume 24 - Issue 08 :: Apr. 21-May. 04, 2007
Next objective: a 5,000-km Agni
T.S. SUBRAMANIAN

Interview with Avinash Chander, Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory, and Programme Director, Agni-III mission.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

shyamv wrote:One ominous note here: Hardly anyone below 30... We need more young people working with these guys...
Shyamv saar, these are probably directors of various labs, project directors and higher ups. Look to be mid 50's, nothing surprising about that. Remember that over 280 entities, labs and organizations were responsible for A-III, mid level managers and engineers will be lot younger.
Last edited by Anujan on 08 May 2008 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

SwamyG wrote:
pradeepe wrote:Way to go! Those are awesome pictures. My favorite is actually this:

3 people wearing just sandals.
One guy doesn't even know how to wear a belt. He's obviously a mad statistician with a tendency to skew all data to the left.

So disappointing vs. the pristine brown pant platoon at every gadha/ghodi launch avenue. Yindoos are doomed... there is no hope!
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Ananth wrote:
Prasant wrote: OMG ! One of the guys in the pic is a schoolmate of mine ! :-o
Since you have already exclaimed, it opens the doors for questions by others. Was he the tall guy standing behind? No need to give his/her name.
Yes the tall guy.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

lakshmic wrote:
shyamv wrote:One ominous note here: Hardly anyone below 30... We need more young people working with these guys...
Shyamv saar, these are probably directors of various labs, project directors and higher ups. Look to be mid 50's, nothing surprising about that. Remember that over 280 entities, labs and organizations were responsible for A-III, mid level managers and engineers will be lot younger.
You are right. I believe all of them are SD(System Directors), Scientist 'F' range barring the young fellow in the back ground. I recognize quiet a few of them and one of them even signed my academic project report back in 2002 as part of my final year UG course. That was at RCI-Hyderabad.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Congrats on the A-3!

OT, but I had to comment. The lady Tessy Thomas is wearing a bindi and the fellow 6th from the right in a blue shirt has chandan on his forehead. This is reassuring and allows me to sleep well at night when observing these characteristics of the key players in the Agni team. Let us not forget, it is these humble individuals that keep the barbarians at the gates and preserve freedom and democracy for a billion plus people.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Agni-III missile test-fired successfully
Balasore, May 7 India today successfully test-fired its 3000 km range surface-to-surface nuclear capable Agni-III missile for the second time giving the country a capability to hit targets as far as deep inside China.
The all solid fuel missile took off from Wheelers Island off Orissa coast at 09:56 hrs and achieved its full range and accuracy by reaching its pre-designated target in 800 seconds.

"The missile is now ready for induction," jubilant DRDO scientists told reporters after the missile achieved its target in a copy-book style.

With this second successful test-firing, India now joins a select group of nations having intermediate range ballistic missiles (IRBMs) with ranges upto 3000 kms. The missile will give the nation the capability to target cities in China like Beijing and Shanghai.

It was a sort of golden jubilee gift of the DRDO to the nation as the organisation is about to launch from Monday celebrations to commemorate 50 years of its existence. The success of Agni-III paves the way for India to build its truly intercontinental range missiles Agni-IV with a range of 5000 kms in the near future.

A miniaturised submarine-launched version of the Agni-III called Agni-III SL is also being developed and could be test-fired shortly. (Agencies)

Published: Wednesday, May 07, 2008
I first coined the name Agni-III SL on BR missile page. How come India is now officially naming it identically?

When news media parrot BR articles, that is coming of age of BR..

He hee... .. I pity what is next? Will R.Chidambram's Thermo-Nuclear fizzle also become news report soon? So much Agni agony from the creative photoshopper! Proof is in the pudding. :twisted:. Eat your heart out.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Agni-III test-fired successfully
For the first time, the missile scientists flight-tested high performance indigenous Ring Laser Gyro based navigation system in the Agni range of missiles. So far the DRDO has been using Strap-dowm Inertial Navigation Systems.
international strategic study groups estimate that India currently has 18-36 Agni-II, IRBMS with a range of 3500 kms, 8-16 missiles of Agni-I, MRBM with a range of 900 kms.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Agni - III missile successfully test fired
Md Mudassir Alam, 07 May 2008, Wednesday

India has always prioritised on its defence mechanism. Recently, Agni-III missile was successfully tested. This missile has a capacity of 3,500 - 5,000 km range. Soon the Indian defence will also be launching Agni-IV.

WEDNESDAY MORNING, India successfully test fired the 3,500 km range Agni- III missile from Wheeler’s Island at Balasore, off the Orissa coast. Agni – III missile was test-fired through a mobile launcher from the integrated test range launch complex at about 09:56 Indian Standard Time (IST). India’s most powerful nuclear capable of intermediate rage ballistic missile (IRBM), Agni – III is a surface-to-surface missile. Agni – III missile weighs 48 tonnes and is 16 metre long, 1.8 metre wide and has the capacity to carry a payload of 1.5 tonnes.

Developed indigenously, the two stage, all-solid fuel missile is capable of reaching the Chinese cities of Beijing and Shanghai. Agni – III missile is equipped with an on-board computer that will work as its guidance system. Besides two naval warships anchored near the impact point, the whole trajectory in the test launch was monitored by a battery of sophisticated radars, electro-optic tracking systems and telemetric data centres in the mainland. According to sources, the test results will be known only after the detailed analyses of the flight data, after it is recovered.

Developed under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP), the Agni missiles is a range of short to intermediate range ballistic missiles. Agni missiles range includes Agni-I short range ballistic missile (700- 800 km range), Agni-II medium range ballistic missile (2,500 km range) and Agni-III intermediate range ballistic missile (3,500- 5,000 km range). Among the Agni missiles range, Agni – III is India’s first solid fuel missile, which is compact and small in size for easy mobility. Agni – III can be easily packaged for deployment on varied surfaces and sub-surface platforms.

Prior to Wednesday’s launch, Agni – III missile was first test-fired on July 9, 2006, from Wheeler Island, off the coast of Orissa, but the test failed to meet mission parameters. It was reported that after the launch, in the second stage the rocket had failed to separate owing to which the missile fell short of its target. But in April 7, 2007, the Agni – III missile was successfully test fired from the the Wheeler Island again. After the successful launch of Agni – III missile last year, India entered the world’s select group of countries to field missiles of intercontinental reach.

As per Defence Research and Development Organisation ( DRDO) sources, though defence scientists had planned only three tests of the missile before its induction, more tests are required to prove its robustness due to the failure of the first test flight.

Ironically, Agni missiles range also includes the intercontinental ballistic missile. Defence scientists are working on Agni-IV intercontinental ballistic missile, which is supposed to have 6,000 km range. First trial of Agni – IV missile is expected to be held later this year or in the earlier part of 2009.
BR's missile page is making impact. Many of the above statement are lifted straight or rephrased from BR website or the my articles in Indian Defense Review.
satyarthi
BRFite

Post by satyarthi »

Arun_S wrote: I first coined the name Agni-III SL on BR missile page. How come India is now officially naming it identically?

When news media parrot BR articles, that is coming of age of BR..
That tells us how much paucity of information, including paucity of accuracy of information, there was earlier regarding Indian missiles.

Now the Russian Gen says A-3 can go 5000km (with its stated payload 1500kg). Which anyone could observe from the range vs payload graph on the BR missile pages. Just that one graph is a bombshell.

Thanks to the BR team for pushing the envelope.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

India test-fires longer version of surface-to-surface Agni-3 missile
By our Correspondent
Last updated: 05/07/2008 23:24:31
Bhubaneswar (Orissa): India on Wednesday conducted another test of its Agni-III nuclear-capable intermediate ballistic surface-to-surface missile from the Wheeler Island in Balasore Orissa.

The Agni-III missile has a flight-range of 3,500 kms which would bring much of China within its range.

Defence Ministry top officials and scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) witnessed the launch.

The missile was initially supposed to be launched in the last week of April. But the launch was delayed slightly following an appeal by wildlife experts in Orissa to postpone the tests due to the nesting season of the endangered Olive Ridley turtles.

India has lacked a credible nuclear-delivery system that could penetrate the Chinese heartland in stark contrast to China, which has missiles capable of hitting every corner of India.

Agni-III is designed to support both conventional and nuclear warheads, with a total payload weight of 600 kg to 1,800 kg. Analysts say the missile is designed to deliver a nuclear payload to the tune of 200-300 kilotons.

The Agni-III missile has fired by making use of solid fuel propellant unlike the short-range Prithvi missile as well as earlier versions of the Agni surface-to-surface missile.

The Agni-III missile features two solid-fuel stages with overall diameter of 1.8 metres, which is compatible with the recently tested sub-surface launch system.

The missile's first stage booster is made of advanced carbon composite materials to provide high mass fraction. It weighs about 24 tonnes and has a length of seven metres.

The second stage is also made of advanced carbon composite materials weighing around eight tonnes with a length of 2.5 metres.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks please stick to topic. No need for extraneous comments.

Thanks, ramana

Good showm. Now AIII is operational. One chapter closed. On to next edition.

Arun, Why the RLG system? And look at the single digit accuracy!
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

bala wrote:Agni-III test-fired successfully

For the first time, the missile scientists flight-tested high performance indigenous Ring Laser Gyro based navigation system in the Agni range of missiles. So far the DRDO has been using Strap-dowm Inertial Navigation Systems.
I reiterate my claim that the paper is interesting.
lakshmic wrote:Arun Saar, a paanwallah, new to the trade told me that chunaa is also important in making paan and pointed me to this in the A-III context. Rakshaks might find it interesting.
Strategic Inertial Navigation Systems
HANCHING GRANT WANG and THOMAS C. WILLIAMS
HIGH-ACCURACY INERTIALLY STABILIZED PLATFORMS FOR HOSTILE ENVIRONMENTS

During the Cold War, the United States developed a three - pronged strategic deterrence capability, the Strategic Triad, consisting of widely dispersed landbased intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs) carried by strategic submarines, and nuclear bombs carried by long-range strategic bombers.

The navigation systems for ICBMs, SLBMs, and, to a lesser extent, strategic bombers share three requirements that set them apart from virtually all other navigation systems: the need for extreme accuracy in a self-contained system, the need for high operational reliability, and the need to survive and operate in extremely hostile man-made nuclear-radiation environments. These requirements have spawned an abundance of innovations in the design of inertially stabilized platforms (ISPs) for strategic navigation systems.

This article provides an overview of the technical challenges and solutions for ISP designers for strategic inertial navigation systems (INSs).
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

TSS in Hindu has some good info...

Agni-III test-fired successfully - T.S. Subramanian and Y. Mallikarjun

[quote]CHENNAI: India’s credible nuclear deterrence capability received a boost on Wednesday with the successful test-firing of Agni-III ballistic missile, which is capable of striking targets 3,500 km away, from the Wheeler Island, off the Orissa coast.

The missile soared into the sky from a rail-mobile launcher at 9.56 a.m., carved a parabolic arc with its stages igniting and jettisoning on time, and a dummy payload splashing 3,000 km away in the Indian Ocean.

The missile climbed to an altitude of 350 km and reached a velocity of over 4,000 metres a second. As the re-entry system plunged into the atmosphere, it worked to perfection, withstanding a searing temperature of over 2,500 degrees Celsius. The entire flight lasted 13 minutes and 20 seconds.

The launch propelled India into a select group of countries such as Russia, the U.S., France and China with the intermediate-range ballistic missile capability.

This is the third flight of Agni-III. The earlier ones took place on July 9, 2006 and April 12, 2007. The April 2007 flight was successful. Designed and developed by the Advanced Systems Laboratory, Hyderabad, it is 17 metres tall and weighs 50 tonnes. It can carry payloads up to 1.5 tonnes.
“Golden launchâ€
Last edited by putnanja on 08 May 2008 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Army may induct Agni-III missile by next year; one more flight likely - Y.Mallikarjun and T.S. Subramanian

[quote]CHENNAI: The Agni-III ballistic missile system may be inducted into the Army by next year.

With its consistent performance for the second time on Wednesday, the path has been cleared for its induction into the Army, according to Avinash Chander, Programme Director, Agni-III.

The missile’s flight trajectory was as per design and all the systems performed to expectations, validating the pre-launch modelling and simulation. The missile was made more robust to withstand severe vibrations and other disturbances.

A special system, called ring-laser gyro-based inertial navigation system, was flown on board for higher accuracy of the flight. The circular error probable was in single digit, indicating the high accuracy of the system, Mr. Chander said.

After the successful flight, M. Natarajan, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, said from Wheeler Island, “We may have one more flight. We are ready for induction [of the missile into the Army]. It will take some time to manufacture some numbers of the missile.â€
Last edited by putnanja on 08 May 2008 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
ranganathan
BRFite

Post by ranganathan »

The good general is comparing A-3 to SS-20 based on dimension alone. SS-20 was 16.7m long, 1.79m dia and weighed 37 tonnes. The A-3 is heavier and I would go by Arun's graphs rather than comparing it with a 30-40 year old IRBM.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

satyarthi wrote:That tells us how much paucity of information, including paucity of accuracy of information, there was earlier regarding Indian missiles.

Now the Russian Gen says A-3 can go 5000km (with its stated payload 1500kg). Which anyone could observe from the range vs payload graph on the BR missile pages. Just that one graph is a bombshell.

Thanks to the BR team for pushing the envelope.
Russian gen compared A-III with SS-20. SS-20 was 14.9m tall (without warhead), 37t launch weight, 1.79m dia and 1.5t payload, solid fuel with stated range of 500km-5000km, later improved to 7500km.

Draw your own conclusions.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Even during the plasma effect (which disturbs the communication), data was received. “This means we have continuous data till the end,â€
satyarthi
BRFite

Post by satyarthi »

[quote="sanjaykumar"]Even during the plasma effect (which disturbs the communication), data was received. “This means we have continuous data till the end,â€
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Singha wrote:sandals - chi chi chi :twisted:
I loved the sandals. Thats what we Indians are. SDRE, chappals and all. But look at the beauty they launched. Fantastic. 8)
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

[quote="sanjaykumar"]Even during the plasma effect (which disturbs the communication), data was received. “This means we have continuous data till the end,â€