Chandrayan-1 moon mission

lakshmikanth
BRFite

Re: Chandrayan-1 moon mission

Post by lakshmikanth »

SaiK wrote:I doubt ISRO would allow an open-source project for this? .. further, they might charge on the service.
!?
That would be sad. Because most of software is moving in the following pattern:

1) Closed source infrastructure
2) Open source interfaces to access the infrastructure. (google earth like features where you give co-ordinates and it gives you the maps). Opensource projects would be build on top of these infrastructures.
3) Access Control to access high quality infrastructure (like extremely high resolution images et al).

Another area to use open source leverage is to get some open source project up to do searching (like GET ALL VILLAGES WHERE AREA EXPANSION > 10 sq km). And then source it (to create internal projects that do waaay more than that.

This is the model that google uses to provide value added services. In my opinion any infrastructure provider (ISRO/Google et al) should heavily leverage pensource software and source it to create high quality closed source apps (using LGPL like license.)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Perhaps they can do .. what I was saying was for the 10M resolution.. they would let the open source to interface in and provide the images, perhaps at a much lower resolution [say at a level equal to google], and for higher resolutions they would charge.

Agree on getting it open for source code maturity, but there should be options, that business are not getting things for free.
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

ISRO website seems to have gone in 'silence is golden' mode. So we are trying to do some comparison.

TMC frame is put side by side with Google Moon. Mind you the TMC image is a QLD so may be 20-25m resolution due to subsampling. ( actual image with full resolution should be 5 m resolution. )

By the way does anyone know whether the data that will be aquired over two yrs will be used in some planned manner???

I mean are there any utilisation plans or is it going to the cold storages of PRL/TIFR etc labs?

Will the data be used/shrared by astronomical deptt of any univ?

Type moretus in Google map and you will see the larger view of Moretus Crater. The TMC image covers a part of the rightside rim of that crater.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

It is only fair that one might not see daily updates on the ISRO web page of pics acquired. One has to view it as part of collaboration rules among all the agencies involved outside of ISRO too. Any data has publication rights before it is ready for public consumption, even when supported by aam admi tax dollars/rupees.

What I am afraid will happen is that non-ISRO collaborators will be the ones first with papers and pictures with detailed explanation for the scientific community and with articles in popular magazines for the laymen. If we do not invest in our universities this is to be expected as an end result. :(
lakshmikanth
BRFite

Post by lakshmikanth »

Bade wrote:It is only fair that one might not see daily updates on the ISRO web page of pics acquired. One has to view it as part of collaboration rules among all the agencies involved outside of ISRO too. Any data has publication rights before it is ready for public consumption, even when supported by aam admi tax dollars/rupees.

What I am afraid will happen is that non-ISRO collaborators will be the ones first with papers and pictures with detailed explanation for the scientific community and with articles in popular magazines for the laymen. If we do not invest in our universities this is to be expected as an end result. :(
And in all this the "hype" this has created is decreasing exponentially. Think of propaganda wars (like the Iraq one). We need to make sure that the "hype" is not lost :) and we leverage propaganda to the maximum extent.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Has anyone living in the U.S. seen any coverage of India's moon mision at all? I'm yet to see any mention of it at all on CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX etc. not even on the news tickers on the bottom of their screens. On these news channels' web sites if it's mentioned at all, it's at the very bottom and in small prints. You'd have to go looking for it to find it, it's not very obvious. The CNN's Miles O'Brien clip that was posted here, I don't think that aired here in the U.S. because the lady anchor I've not seen here on CNN channels. That may have been CNN Asia? Sorry to take up bandwidth on this guys, but just curious. I'm sure if there was a train wreck or cows roaming the streets in India that would be prominantly featured on U.S. news outlets. :roll:
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Luxtor wrote:Has anyone living in the U.S. seen any coverage of India's moon mision at all? I'm yet to see any mention of it at all on CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX etc. not even on the news tickers on the bottom of their screens. On these news channels' web sites if it's mentioned at all, it's at the very bottom and in small prints. You'd have to go looking for it to find it, it's not very obvious. The CNN's Miles O'Brien clip that was posted here, I don't think that aired here in the U.S. because the lady anchor I've not seen here on CNN channels. That may have been CNN Asia? Sorry to take up bandwidth on this guys, but just curious. I'm sure if there was a train wreck or cows roaming the streets in India that would be prominantly featured on U.S. news outlets. :roll:
for Americans sending an unmanned probe to moon is no big deal. they conquered moon about forty years ago. They gave appropriate attention to the chandrayaan. remember there are two asian satellites already orbiting the moon even before we got there. we need to do something which has never done before to get media attention.
this is just a beginning , in the future i am sure that we gonna cross many milestones and that will bring isro in limelight.
things will only get better from here i think..
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Chandrayaan1 is a hit

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/34886564.html

Some unverified sources are pointing to taking a month to get more pics from the TMC ? Any verifiable inputs on why the press silence from ISRO?
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

One thing ISRO must learn is public perception has it's highs and lows a little different from the stoicicity that scientists carry about them. There's a large support and deep sense of appreciation for ISROs mission. Their silence is a little disappointing. Even the Hindu is quiet. What stage is the mission now? What instruments have been activated. Last i knew there were 8 more to go, the MIP video promised. Wonder whats up.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Chandrayaan: normal operations soon
Only two more instruments to be made operational, says Madhavan Nair
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Luxtor wrote:Has anyone living in the U.S. seen any coverage of India's moon mision at all? I'm yet to see any mention of it at all on CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX etc. not even on the news tickers on the bottom of their screens. On these news channels' web sites if it's mentioned at all, it's at the very bottom and in small prints. You'd have to go looking for it to find it, it's not very obvious. The CNN's Miles O'Brien clip that was posted here, I don't think that aired here in the U.S. because the lady anchor I've not seen here on CNN channels. That may have been CNN Asia? Sorry to take up bandwidth on this guys, but just curious. I'm sure if there was a train wreck or cows roaming the streets in India that would be prominantly featured on U.S. news outlets. :roll:
I have seen Chandrayaan (not by name though) on the CNN news ticker a few times...perhaps once on Fox also unless I am mistaken. Apart from the fact that a craft to the moon is not really considered newsworthy in most amirkhans' mind....news in massa seems to be more biased towards mindless sensationalism (DDM are catching up real fast though :evil: )...so train crash in India or temple stampede is considered more eye catching.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Quite a few Americans are certainly aware of the Chandrayaan moon mission, and together with the recent news on the anti-piracy action, there are certainly impressions that India is not quite what their daddy's India was. I think it is unnecessary to presume that people are deliberately ignoring it - there is quite a bit of awareness about our recent achievements. There was someone who asked me why India 'wasted money when it is poor', but he said nothing when I asked him why the US sent a man to space before it granted basic civil rights to all those on the ground.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

Hope this ain't true, or ain't problematic enough: :(
http://raakshaseeyam.blogspot.com/2008/ ... oblem.html
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

sumishi wrote:Hope this ain't true, or ain't problematic enough: :(
http://raakshaseeyam.blogspot.com/2008/ ... oblem.html
Not sure about it's authenticity. Let's wait and see.May be if this is true they might try lowering the orbit to reduce the orbital time and exposure to sun.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

prashanth wrote:Not sure about it's authenticity. Let's wait and see.May be if this is true they might try lowering the orbit to reduce the orbital time and exposure to sun.
There is a video in the blog with Dr Nair saying something in Malayalam (I can see that he says something about ten degrees). Mallu rakshaks, can someone hear what he is saying (in this video) and translate ?
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

He said that on the first day itself the satellite was overheated from normal temp by 10 C so now they are cooling it down so as to get the best results possible. I guess they are waiting for the satellite to cool to the optimum temp before switching on all the instruments.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

vavinash wrote:He said that on the first day itself the satellite was overheated from normal temp by 10 C so now they are cooling it down so as to get the best results possible. I guess they are waiting for the satellite to cool to the optimum temp before switching on all the instruments.
Thanks vavinash! Gurus, any information on why this happened in the first place, and whether the 10°C overshoot falls within the built in factor of safety?
juvva
BRFite

Post by juvva »

vavinash wrote:He said that on the first day itself the satellite was overheated from normal temp by 10 C so now they are cooling it down so as to get the best results possible. I guess they are waiting for the satellite to cool to the optimum temp before switching on all the instruments.
From the Hindu: http://www.hindu.com/2008/11/24/stories ... 180300.htm

"The Moon’s atmosphere is very volatile and on the very first day, there was a sudden temperature variation of 10 degrees. This could to some extent affect the sophisticated electronics components on the Moon Impact Probe,” he said. Trying to find water on the lunar surface was one of the main objectives of the Moon Impact Probe."

Here he seems to be talking about MIP and not the mother ship. I wonder, if this could this be the reason, we are yet to see the descent movie from MIP.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

10 degree should not impact the satellite, but dont know about the instruments especially optical cameras and so,
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

juvva wrote:
From the Hindu: http://www.hindu.com/2008/11/24/stories ... 180300.htm

"The Moon’s atmosphere is very volatile and on the very first day, there was a sudden temperature variation of 10 degrees. This could to some extent affect the sophisticated electronics components on the Moon Impact Probe,” he said. Trying to find water on the lunar surface was one of the main objectives of the Moon Impact Probe."

Here he seems to be talking about MIP and not the mother ship. I wonder, if this could this be the reason, we are yet to see the descent movie from MIP.
Yes, The MIP thing is already a history. It worked nicely and as per a foreigner who was present in control room it acquired some 3000+ images. So 10 deg thing has not hampered the MIP.

As regards other electronics all the space qualified components should not get affected with just a 10 deg rise.. even the imaging array which IS sensitive to temp should work ok after cooling.. even at 10 deg higher temp it could give degraded S/N and not affect the resolution so at the most the dynamic range of brightness variation capture will be affected.

A serious problem does exist if the temperature rise is due to the operation of payload. however if the temp rise is due to solar heating in certain attidudes then the yaan can be cooled by reorientation and ISRO has ample experience of attending to such circumstances.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

A Nigerian's perspective! Sorry, no link available.
One Giant Leap for Mankind And One Sleeping Giant

Lagos, Nov 24, 2008 (This Day/All Africa Global Media via COMTEX) -- Glitz
Contrast with Ebuka

Where were you on the 21st of July, 1969? Don't even ask me because my parents
were just 3 days away from their 6th month wedding anniversary. I have 2 elder
siblings and so that should mean that I was not even anywhere near being thought
about.

For most people who were alive and old enough to remember, and were living in
Nigeria at the time, the Nigerian Civil War was probably the thing on their
minds then. The breakaway Republic of Biafra on the one hand and Nigeria on the
other, were at war and had been for about 2 years before that date (and would be
for another 6 months thereafter). My parents always told us about their wedding
in January of 1969 and how there were a couple of helicopters and jets flying
over as the ceremony went on. I keep trying to imagine what it must have felt
like trying to enjoy the happiest day of your life and at the same time,
imagining that it could actually be your last if anything dropped from the
skies! But I digress

While Nigerians were at war against one another on that late July day, the
United States of America and the rest of the world were celebrating a huge
achievement which many only dreamed of witnessing. The Russians (then Soviet
Union) led by Yuri Gagarin had earlier won the race to first go into space in
1961 and so the Americans knew that they had to achieve something equally as
huge if not more monumental, for them to look as much a super power as they had
gradually become at the time. The moon seemed like the best bet to be conquered
since no one had gone there. The Americans in typical fashion set out to achieve
that as soon as they could, especially so that the Soviet Union did not get
there before them. They planned for years tirelessly even though not a lot of
their country men had faith in the project. But on the 16th of July 1969, the
Apollo 11 mission was launched and everyone watched in suspense, probably
expecting the worst. But it turned out

to be a smooth launch. As the spaceflight disappeared into the sky, everyone now
waited to see if they would actually get to their destination; the moon!

On the 21st of July 1969, in a live transmission from the moon via the Voice Of
America, the whole world (or mostly those who had any access to radio or even
radio stations at all) listened as history was being made. What most people did
not and still do not know is that there was just about 15 seconds worth of fuel
left in the tank and so they were unbelievably close to having a failed mission
and most likely death!

Then, America's poster boy for Astronomy and the reason why every child born in
the 70's wanted to be an astronaut, Neil Armstrong, stepped out of the
spacecraft and became the very first man in the world to set foot on the moon. I
have watched that clip and have goose bumps whenever I do. I can then only
imagine what the world felt as they witnessed his walk down the ladder, unto the
surface that is the moon! What seemed so far away and heavenly at that point
immediately became connected to everyone.

Then at the point when his left foot touched the moon's surface, he uttered
those very famous words that still mean a lot even in today's world; "That's one
small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." A lot of analysts have assumed
that Armstrong meant to say; "That's one small step for a man " The fact that he
omitted the word 'a' was talked about a lot but no one cared. He had achieved a
huge feat and nothing was going to take away that shine. Neil Armstrong and Buzz
Aldrin both later spent some 2 and half hours planting the American flag on the
moon, receiving a phone call from President Nixon and doing other research. The
world celebrated!

Surprisingly, no other country has landed an astronaut on the moon apart from
the United States till date and even the United States, closed the Apollo
program in 1998 citing funding problems even though there are plans to re launch
it by 2020 (this our Vision 2020 year go hot o!). Some other countries have been
able to send spacecrafts to the moon though after that but they have all been
unmanned. None other than America has sent humans to the moon.

Meanwhile, this past week, India made history by joining the very exclusive
league of countries that have successfully launched a mission to the moon. This
list does not include countries like Germany, Britain France or Japan so that
should show how much of an achievement it must be for them. On the 14th of
November 2008, at exactly 8.31pm New Delhi time, India's Lunar Orbiter,
Chandrayaan-1 crash landed on the moon's surface and completed the first phase
of India's planned eventual manned spaceflight sometime in 2020 (this year
again). It was received with mixed reactions in the country with many saying
that a mission to the moon was not a priority at a time when there is still a
lot of poverty in the country. But the government stated that it was in
connection with their plans to advance technologically with the rest of the
world since that was the direction the world was going. The fact remains that
whatever angle you want to look at it from, it

must have been a proud moment for the people of that country especially since
they have been touted as the next technological super power. It all ties into
their plans for the future and it sure was a giant step for them.

In the same week though, just two days earlier on the 12th of November, news
broke out in Nigeria that our N40 billion NigComSat-1, which was built and
launched by the Chinese in May 2007, was missing. Apparently, contact had been
lost with it and no one could locate it. It made no sense at the time I read it
on the cover of Thisday mostly because I never knew satellites could get
missing. It just seemed strange to me and I hoped somehow that there was a mix
up somewhere. I also expected that there would be a response from the government
as soon as possible and I was not disappointed.

The next day, our Federal Government, through the MD of NigComSat, denied that
the satellite was missing. According to him, they and their Chinese counterparts
had found problems with the satellite a couple of days earlier and so decided to
shut the satellite down so as to carry out fault analysis of the problem. At
that point, instead of allaying my fears, I immediately knew that the satellite
was in jeopardy. There is just something about how we deny reports in Nigeria
that always makes the case look even worse than it was before the attempted
denial. And in typical Nigeria style; and confirming what my instincts were
telling me, the Voice of America, confirmed the next day November 14th (while
India was landing on the moon), that Nigeria's NigComSat-1 was spinning out of
control in outer space and thus was making a free fall back to earth. One Paul
Ceruzzi, a curator at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in America,
clearly said that a

satellite could fail if the antennas do not point properly towards the ground to
send signals or if it simply runs out of fuel even though these sorts of
problems are not normal these days. Well, obviously not with Nigeria!

There was apparently a power failure and a subsequent loss of contact with the
satellite. Whether there was so much fuel scarcity that the commodity could not
be bought on time to refuel, or PHCN had extended its services to space or there
was some fuel queue which NigComSat-1 could not jump before it ran out of gas,
is all talk for another day. What bothers me more is whether no one saw this
coming. How did a satellite with an average life span of 15 years last just for
over a year? Who awarded the contract to the Chinese company when (we are only
now just hearing that) there had been a failed satellite in that country just 2
years ago? Is the N40 billion it cost to build that satellite now lost in space
too? Was that project insured? If it was, when will compensation be paid and why
then is NigComSat seeking another $500 million to build new satellites just a
few days after the first satellite failed? Who is going to take responsibility
for what has

happened?

We are used to asking many questions in Nigeria but we never get answers? We
launched a satellite project at a time when a more beneficial thing like
repairing the terribly bad Benin-Ore expressway (which is still bad as my cousin
spent about 12 hours going from Lagos to Onitsha just 5 days ago) could have
been repaired. And even if they felt like the satellite was a priority at the
time, what happened to managing it better?

Nigerians are just tired of these sorts of stories and it looks like there is
nothing like a bright future for this country as it is. While the rest of the
world takes giant steps towards having a brighter future and fixing their
countries, Nigeria just stands there looking more stupid by the day with our
many embarrassing acts that never seem to cease. What with siren blaring big
men, harassing and beating up citizens just so Oga can quickly have lunch! It's
all just terrible and I like many other Nigerians, am really tired of wondering
when this sleeping (so called) giant of Africa will ever wake up. Sadly, it does
not seem like it will be happening any time soon. After all, is Aso Rock even
awake?

ANSWERS ANYONE?
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Some days ago i had mentioned about the JPL liason officer (for M3 ) saying that there was a rise in temp, but it was within the range
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

ISRO could well pair with Google and provide it with the Visual Stereographic images for a ISROOGLE Moon project. Let the cost of stitching these and putting it on a sphere be Google's cost, and distribution too.

ISRO will never be able to buy better long-term publicity than this. Even $80 million (the entire budget) will not buy ISRO better publicity ever. The first is first - and will remain so.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

I think this should put the overheating problem to rest as Salviji has already pointed out..is a thing from the past.

http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMMVL5DHNF_index_0.html

Excerpts below..
The European near-infrared spectrometer SIR-2 was commissioned successfully on 19 November. The instrument was switched on and sent back housekeeping data indicating normal functionality. Science observations were started successfully on 20 November.

The Chandrayaan-1 X-ray Spectrometer, C1XS, was first activated on 23 November, and its commissioning is in progress.

The Sub-keV Atom Reflecting Analyser, SARA will be commissioned from 7 to 10 December. The commissioning for this instrument will take longer than usual because the instrument operates at a high-voltage, which will be increased in steps.
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

any news pics from chandrayaan-1?My Thanks to any Gurus if they can add any URLs of pics from chandrayaan -1

Thanks in Advance
UPrabhu
BRFite

Post by UPrabhu »

narayana wrote:any news pics from chandrayaan-1?My Thanks to any Gurus if they can add any URLs of pics from chandrayaan -1

Thanks in Advance
narayana wrote:any news pics from chandrayaan-1?My Thanks to any Gurus if they can add any URLs of pics from chandrayaan -1

Thanks in Advance
Officially given up on ISRO PR .... babudom zeendabaad
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

They seem to be updating the chandrayaan specific subsite without the last update "date and time" being reflected in the homepage of ISRO. :)
http://www.isro.org/Chandrayaan/htmls/ImageMoon.htm
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

In the first image
http://www.isro.org/Chandrayaan/images/1map_hysi.jpg

In the upper 1/3rd portion of an image on the left side, there is a crater which looks like the symbol "e" embedded in a triangular depression...
Probably the stamp of ET.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

AdityaM wrote:
In the first image
http://www.isro.org/Chandrayaan/images/1map_hysi.jpg

In the upper 1/3rd portion of an image on the left side, there is a crater which looks like the symbol "e" embedded in a triangular depression...
Probably the stamp of ET.
That "e" is the logo for Microsoft Internet Explorer. Now I know where Gates created that lousy browser (till version 6). :rotfl:
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

India Maps Out Manned Exploration Program
by Staff Writers
Bangalore, India (PTI) Nov 25, 2008
With the success of Chandrayaan-1, the country's first moon mission, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning a manned space mission as a first step to manned moon mission.

"Sending man to moon is a very complicated mission. So, as a first step, we plan to develop an Indian spacecraft that will take astronauts across the earth and bring them back," ISRO Chairman G Madhavan Nair said delivering a lecture on 'India's Recent Space Achievements' here on Sunday.

The government approval for the mission was yet to be received and ISRO was planning the programme by 2015, Nair said.

ISRO was also in the process of developing technologies for a manned moon mission and it would take more than six to seven years to develop those technologies, he said adding our effort is to achieve the milestone by the time the proposed next manned moon mission of USA and China materialise in 2020".

On the next Space programme of ISRO, Nair said government has accorded sanction for the Chandrayaan-II mission that would be launched in 2012. The work on Chandrayaan-II had started, he said. Under the programme, a robotic lunar rover would smooth land on the moon and conduct experiments, he said.

'Adithya', was the another space programme in the pipeline, he said. Under this programme, effort would be made to study the Solar System by launching a satellite and the same would be stationed within the earth orbit, he said.

"There was no plan to send any satellite to Sun," he said referring to media reports that ISRO was planning a Sun Mission.

Source: Press Trust of India
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Chandrayaan-1 Starts Observations Of The Moon: Nov 25, 2008
by Staff Writers
Paris, France (SPX) Nov 25, 2008
The Indian Space Research Organisation's lunar orbiter Chandrayaan-1 released a probe that impacted close to the lunar south pole on 14 November. Following this, the instruments on the spacecraft are being switched on to get the science observations started.

The Moon Impact Probe was dropped close to Shackleton crater, a place close to the south pole, where ice may exist in areas that are never illuminated by the Sun. It carried three instruments: a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer.

The imaging system took pictures of the Moon as it approached the surface, the radar was used to determine the altitude, and the mass spectrometer was used to study the thin lunar atmosphere.

The probe was released from the spacecraft at 15:36 CET (20:06 Indian Standard Time), on 14 November and took 25 minutes to reach the surface. As it descended, the probe transmitted pictures to the orbiter that were later downloaded to Earth.

The Terrain Mapping Camera, TMC, and the Radiation Dose Monitor, RADOM, were functional by that time on the orbiter. After the impact of the probe, the remaining orbiter instruments were switched on consecutively for their commissioning activities.

During commissioning all standard operating modes of an instrument are exercised and the data and housekeeping parameters are examined to verify that everything is working properly.

The European near-infrared spectrometer SIR-2 was commissioned successfully on 19 November. The instrument was switched on and sent back housekeeping data indicating normal functionality. Science observations were started successfully on 20 November.

The Chandrayaan-1 X-ray Spectrometer, C1XS, was first activated on 23 November, and its commissioning is in progress.

The Sub-keV Atom Reflecting Analyser, SARA will be commissioned from 7 to 10 December. The commissioning for this instrument will take longer than usual because the instrument operates at a high-voltage, which will be increased in steps.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

BBC reports:
India moon craft hit by heat rise
By Swaminathan Natarajan
BBC Tamil service

Indian scientists are exploring various options to cool down a sudden surge of temperature inside the county's first unmanned lunar craft, Chandrayaan 1.

The temperature inside the satellite has gone over 50C, prompting scientists to take drastic measures.

They say that the problem arose because of very hot temperatures during the lunar orbit.

The mission is regarded as a major step for India as it seeks to keep pace with other space-faring nations in Asia.

Earlier this month the spacecraft sent a probe onto the surface of the moon.

Urgent measures
"Now the moon, our satellite and the sun are in same line this means our craft is receiving 1,200 watts of heat from the moon and 1,300 watts from the sun per meter square," said M Annadurai, project director of Indian's moon mission.

If the temperature is not kept in check, many instruments on board the orbiter may fail to perform, scientists say.

This has prompted them to take urgent measures. Most of the instruments are now switched off or being used sparingly.

"We have rotated the spacecraft by 20 degrees and this has helped to reduce the temperature of the craft. We have also switched off certain equipment like mission computers and this has resulted in the reduction of temperature to 40C now. At this temperature all the equipment can perform very well," Mr Annadurai said.

"Although we did factor in the thermal conditions in the lunar orbit, the temperature is a bit higher than we anticipated."

He insisted all the instruments carried on board of the satellite have been tested and were working properly.

While the turning-off of certain equipment will have an impact on lunar research, Mr Annadurai said that it was not worth "taking the risk to run it" at present.

Scientists also plan to raise the orbit of the Indian craft to cool it down. It is presently in orbit 100km (62 miles) from the moon. However Mr Annadurai said that would only be done as a last resort.

He said that the next month would be critical for the survival of the mission, which has an intended life span of two years.

"We are able to use terrain mapping cameras to take picture of the moon whenever required," Mr Annadurai said.

India launched its first lunar mission on 22 October. The mission aims to map the lunar surface, look for traces of water and the presence of helium.

The current difficulties are the first to be experienced by the probe, which has been praised for sending the probe onto the moon's surface.
50 deg off the expected temperature is a lot, and I am glad ISRO is being very cautious in first understanding the phenomenon and on-board thermal management options, before jumping up to put instruments on 24x7 operation.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Now British follow Indian footsteps to Moon.

Lord Curzon and Macaulay must be turning in their graves.

After India's Chandrayaan-1 Its Britain's MoonLITE
by Staff Writers
London, UK (PTI) Nov 24, 2008
Britain is set to launch its maiden moon mission to study the phenomenon of mysterious moonquakes, weeks after India's spacecraft Chandrayaan-1 successfully entered the lunar orbit.

The 100-million-pound unmanned mission 'MoonLITE' would aim to understand the cause of mysterious quakes that vibrate through the lunar rock and put it into the satellite's orbit before firing a series of probes into the moon's surface, the daily Telegraph reported on Sunday.

The report said that the launch of Moon Lightweight Interior and Telecommunications Experiment or MoonLITE, will be announced by science minister Lord Drayson next month after which engineers would work on the technical designs with an aim to launch the satellite between 2012 and 2014.

Backed by NASA, the spacecraft would also examine the chemical composition of the rocks and even search for water on the moon's surface.

The existence of moonquakes has puzzled scientists as the moon does not have the tectonic plate activity that causes quakes on the earth.

"The moon still holds an awful lot of secrets. Most of what we know about the moon is from a relatively small area on the nearside of the moon and we have no samples or data from the far side," the daily quoted Ian Crawford, from the school of Earth sciences at Birkbeck College, University of London.

Crawford was one of the scientists who first proposed the MoonLITE mission, which would fire four suitcase-sized penetrator probes into different points around the lunar surface.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Scientists warm to possibility of moon ice
by Staff Writers
Providence, R.I. (UPI) Nov 17, 2008
Researchers at Brown University and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., say they're checking the lunar poles for evidence of ice.

Carle Pieters, a planetary geologist at the Providence, R.I., university, and her colleagues will be analyzing data from one of 11 instruments aboard the Indian spacecraft Chandrayaan-1 that began orbiting the moon earlier in November, the Providence (R.I.) Journal reported Monday.

Pieters is the principal investigator for the Moon Mineralogy Mapper that, among other things, examines sunlight bouncing off the lunar surface. Because substances reflect light at specific wavelengths, the project will provide a detailed look at the composition of the surface.

As the Indian spacecraft crosses the moon's poles, Pieters said, researchers are hoping enough light will scatter to the depths of the craters so the mapper can detect the presence of water ice.

"Everyone wants to know if there's water at the poles," she said. "It's hypothesized to be there. We know there is hydrogen (one component of water) at the poles but we don't know if there's water at the poles."

The project will be the first detailed global assessment of the moon's geology, she said.

"We've been waiting a long time for this -- about 30 years," she said. "And now it may be a reality. I'm excited."
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Finally... isro updates its site
http://www.isro.gov.in/Chandrayaan/htmls/ImageMoon.htm

nice first images of moon
Last edited by vdutta on 26 Nov 2008 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I would rather have ISRO put out images with an explanation or story line as to what that means. Planetary scientists can infer what they want, but what about the aam aadmi. Either do not put anything out or else do give appropriate reading material. It is otherwise very unprofessional to say the least.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Arun_S wrote:China Reveals Its First Full Map Of Moon Surface Beijing (XNA) Nov 13, 2008
its an old news and repost..
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

I don't thin the sat temp rose by 50C but the absolute temp was 50 C. 40 C seems to be the intended temp, so the rise is 10 C above normal.