INS Arihant (ATV) Launch News and Discussion

Javee
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Arihant (ATV) Launch News and Discussion

Post by Javee »

Last edited by Javee on 27 Jul 2009 05:47, edited 2 times in total.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Cybaru wrote:104-105 or 110-112 ??

The reports are all over the place..
There's also the one outlier report in Economic Times that places the length at 124m.
Last edited by vera_k on 27 Jul 2009 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Cybaru wrote:104-105 or 110-112 ??

The reports are all over the place..
But Saar, does not the fact that reports have touched upon only those 2 figures, actually narrow it down considerably. I remember resident experts (vina iirc) pointing out to 104 mtr: 5000kg or 110-12 mtr:6000kg.

BR is ahead of the curve once again. Damn, talke bout double hulled, hadn't Sagguji posted a pic to that effect?

CM
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

BBC aired a clip of INS Arihant launch, showing Mrs.Kaur breaking the coconut and Shri MMS's speech. The angle video of MMS speech is same as that of the photo. It appeared to be front bow, with many people standing on it. There was no sign of sail in the segment aired.

ooops didn't see Gerard's post.
Last edited by sunilUpa on 27 Jul 2009 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Linky ?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

AFP image - indianukesubmarine_afp.jpg
http://www.ndtv.com/news/images/story_p ... ne_afp.jpg
:mrgreen:
csharma
BRFite

Post by csharma »

Reuters is now using Bharat -Rakshak to come up with Missile ranges. For Agni IIISL. I do not know where from they got 250 -350 km for Sagarika.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2009 ... 474361.htm

look at the Reuters graphic. Left hand corner for sources.
Last edited by csharma on 27 Jul 2009 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

csharma wrote:Reuters is now using Bharat -Rakshak to come up with Missile ranges. For Agni IIISL. I do notknow where they 250 -350 km for Sagarika.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2009 ... 474361.htm

look at the Reuters graphic. Left hand corner for sources.
Arun - please take a bow.. :)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Cain Marko wrote:I remember resident experts (vina iirc) pointing out to 104 mtr: 5000kg or 110-12 mtr:6000kg.
Cmon man, its a submarine NOT a Gadha/Godhi Paki missile :mrgreen:
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Isn't 30 years too steep a learning curve (leave aside L&T's participation to fabricate the hull when we have giant PSUs).
Consider the case of the UK which (unlike India) had been building carriers, battleships, submarines
For its first nuclear submarine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(S101)
Although the plan was to build all-British nuclear submarines, much time would be saved by accepting the American technological lead and taking advantage of US nuclear technology. The excellent relations between Admiral Mountbatten and US Navy Chief of Naval Operations Arleigh Burke, expedited obtaining that help. This was despite Rear Admiral Hyman Rickover, in charge of the American naval nuclear power program, being set against any transfer of technology, indeed, Rickover prevented Mountbatten inspecting USS Nautilus. It was not until a visit to Britain in 1956 that Rickover changed his mind and withdrew his objections [1]. Although Rickover wished to supply the third generation S3W reactor of the Skate class, Mountbatten exerted his influence and the entire machinery system for an American Skipjack class submarine, with its fifth generation S5W reactor, was obtained[1]. This was known as the "American Sector" (see 1958 US-UK Mutual Defence Agreement). The hull and combat systems of Dreadnought were of British design and construction hull, although British access to the Electric Boat Company influenced the hull form and construction practices
And decades later, for its current Trident system?
Please read
Trident: we've been conned again

and this
UK'S TRIDENT SYSTEM NOT TRULY INDEPENDENT
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 86we13.htm
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Infact to be honest Munna UKstan puts even TSP to shame when it comes to getting latest military technology and IP on a platter from Unkil. Btw BAE and GD are right across the road and share same premises in the so called submarine capital of the world .
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Any one in masa land with TIVO, please record the BBC news being aired now..the INS Arihant clip is likely to be repeated.

Ramana, Rahul..apologies.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Gerard wrote:AFP image - indianukesubmarine_afp.jpg
http://www.ndtv.com/news/images/story_p ... ne_afp.jpg
:mrgreen:

What is that thing ? :oops:
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Cool down my friend Sunil....remember? we are peaceful people....

After seeing the above picture...it just struck me that we Indians develop cute little stuff [LCA, Arihant] but DEADLY and POTENT.. :)
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Jamwal thats INS Kursura its a Foxtrot class submarine which NDTV and rest of the channels are showing as INS Arihant. :lol: :roll:
ajay_hk
BRFite

Post by ajay_hk »

Woooohooo! was late in joining the party here but hearty congratulations to each and everyone involved. A very proud moment for the entire nation. Hopefully we can get a glimpse of it sooner...

A graphic from the Telegraph article...

It says Graphic is from Reuters
Last edited by ajay_hk on 27 Jul 2009 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

negi wrote:Jamwal thats INS Kursura its a Foxtrot class submarine which NDTV and rest of the channels are showing as INS Arihant. :lol: :roll:
Dhanyawaad
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Err.. decades after Mountbatten got the US to transfer the Skipjack technology the UK is still dependent on the US for SSBN technology

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 86we13.htm
UK Vanguard-class Trident submarines are UK-made, but many aspects of the design are copied from US submarines and many components are bought from the USA.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

sunilUpa wrote:Any one in masa land with TIVO, please record the BBC news being aired now..the INS Arihant clip is likely to be repeated.

Wonder which genius smuggled in the camera phone and what all he recorded??? :roll: No doubt getting his/her 2 mins of fame while not giving two hoots about national security.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

as usual telegraph is up to its usual DDM standards. LA class 16,000 tonnes ? :roll:
I mean how different are the spellings of ohio and los angeles, even if you know nothing about subs ?
Guys,

Why are you abusing me? I have just asked a very basic question. Is it wrong?
well if you throw up half baked comments (that's a comment, not a question and a very irritating one at that, considering you know nothing about the project. your comment sounds as if you are the CNS or something with access to every classified doc on the ATV)
expect to be grilled on BR, this is not a place where people can say anything they like and get away with it.
C'mon guys there seems to be no democracy in this forum.
:roll: what does democracy got to do with it ?
why does every newbie who makes an inane comment shout 'democracy', 'hitler' etc when they are called out on that ?
FYI, next to everyone here is aware of these things, that doesn't mean that you can compare two defence industries with massive differences in terms of experience, funding and access to tech from the rest of the west and bad mouth the disadvantaged one in the process.

comparison makes no sense if you forget the context. you have just committed that mistake.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

RaviBg wrote:
sunilUpa wrote:Any one in masa land with TIVO, please record the BBC news being aired now..the INS Arihant clip is likely to be repeated.

Wonder which genius smuggled in the camera phone and what all he recorded??? :roll: No doubt getting his/her 2 mins of fame while not giving two hoots about national security.
Looks like official video release. Apparently there were three photo/videographers.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

sunilUpa wrote:Looks like official video release. Apparently there were three photo/videographers.
Sunil, those 3 were from IN or GoI Defence Ministry it seems. It might be that the footage released to media is deliberately deteriorated. They will have good solid footage for private viewings amongst the H&M ofcourse,..its just that us street-level abduls are not in the know.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

There was a <1 sec bit at the end of the BBC clip that appeared to be cell phone quality. Quite pixelated and jagged unlike the previous portion
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Now, one of the reports here mentioned that the reactor wont be switched on till about a year from now (i.e. approx 33% to 50% into trial time). I wonder what are the stages (broadly) of trials the sub is supposed to go thru over the next 2-3 years. Even though there are 1000s of sub-systems which have to be integration tested (I bet they have been unit tested already), I was of the opinion that the propulsion would be one of the first to be tested? :-?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

My nth version of the Arihant. :(( GoI for godssake release the pic, or I'll spend the whole night doing this stuff.

Last edited by Gagan on 27 Jul 2009 08:18, edited 2 times in total.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Raja Bose wrote:Now, one of the reports here mentioned that the reactor wont be switched on till about a year from now (i.e. approx 33% to 50% into trial time). I wonder what are the stages (broadly) of trials the sub is supposed to go thru over the next 2-3 years. Even though there are 1000s of sub-systems which have to be integration tested (I bet they have been unit tested already), I was of the opinion that the propulsion would be one of the first to be tested? :-?
Not so sure about taking one year to switch on the reactor. Another report (Ajai Shukla?) talked about reactor going critical being next step.

Ahhh Gagan you are getting close..
Last edited by sunilUpa on 27 Jul 2009 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

if it has a borei style hump might be able to take the full caliber A3SL rounds without any
compromise for "K-X". A3SL is just our name for it.

chipanda must be going nuts wanting to know more.

wrt to reactor, I believe that report is incorrect. another report spoke of starting the diesel
and steam turbines under external power , then making the reactor up (3 week process).
even for detached harbour trials, you'd need the power plant up and running.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Chipanda probably knows more than BRF jingos
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Gagan wrote:My nth version of the Arihant. :(( GoI for godssake release the pic, or I'll spend the whole night doing this stuff.
:rotfl: :rotfl: Gagan-ji don't give up yet ... I am sure it will turn up pretty soon... meanwhile keep us entertained. :mrgreen: ... I loved your prediction of the coconut breaking pic. :D
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

sunilUpa wrote:Ahhh Gagan you are getting close..
You've seen it !
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote: wrt to reactor, I believe that report is incorrect. another report spoke of starting the diesel
and steam turbines under external power , then making the reactor up (3 week process).
even for detached harbour trials, you'd need the power plant up and running.
Exactly. Once it is untethered from shore, the reactor needs to run otherwise none of the hotel systems will even work. Actually to think of it, I think one SBC chap who was talking of getting the fluids running and heart ticking might have been referring to this. I wonder what kind of auxillary diesels the Arihant has to drive the boat to safety, in case of reactor scram - I guess I will keep wondering for ages given the shroud of secrecy. :((
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Its a good thing AK has clarified that BARC did the reactor with some innovative technologies , so that should put to rest all claim that Russian has helped in reactor design , Its a pure Indian Designed Compact PW Reactor with indian innovation init ..thats a great news..Great Job BARC
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Austin, Rooskies did consult on it so tech might be indig., but they helped smooth some kinks out.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Gagan wrote:
sunilUpa wrote:Ahhh Gagan you are getting close..
You've seen it !
LOL NO. I wish :(( .your picture is very close all descriptions we have read..

I just hope we don't end up as five blind men and the elephant. :)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

OK fellas...for the lack of any other interesting tidbits....MARCOS were present in mufti (and in some other types of suits :mrgreen: ).
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The indigenous content is said to be about 40% as per the interview of Vice Admiral A.K. Singh, which will go up to about 70% in the next two subs.

Tech demonstrators don't have anechoic tiles on them. Besides I don't think India has $700 million to blow on just a tech demonstrator.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Andrew DeCristofaro
BRFite

Post by Andrew DeCristofaro »

sunilUpa wrote:Image
good one
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

This is INS Arihant and not a technology demonstrator , this is a formally commissioned sub which will be deployed as soon as it will clear sea going trials and loaded with maal.
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

Austin wrote:Its a good thing AK has clarified that BARC did the reactor with some innovative technologies , so that should put to rest all claim that Russian has helped in reactor design , Its a pure Indian Designed Compact PW Reactor with indian innovation init ..thats a great news..Great Job BARC

Austin,

For all we know , we can never tell if its a pure Indian design or if russians helped us on reactor design..Even if they did, i dont think MoD officials will state that russians helped us design the reactor ..the mere fact that Singh saar mentioned Russians in his speech is a testimony to the fact that Russians have played a greater role than just helping design problems...

Borei class , thats the most recent Russian design....woow.......

Either ways its a golden day for Indian military...was waiting for so long for this day to come...and secondly..thank you Russia for the help , this kind of consultancy will seldom be received by any one..

Jai hind.