Re: INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

Post by Gagan »

But it is already May 2011,
Where is the Chakra?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

All those reams of BRF pages guessing the names of the follow on subs all gone to waste.
The babus foxed us! These guys are very chankian I say.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Gagan wrote:But it is already May 2011,
Where is the Chakra?
Delayed, what else. They have been saying this year, next month from last two years.
March was the planned date from last year
http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?695744
Hope I am wrong..
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Karan M wrote:Was this posted? Note it was a meet the press event, judging by the pic and details thought the ATV stuff is from sources.
http://indiastrategic.in/topstories861.htm
This link states that two more Scorpenes have been ordered to make up for the shortfall in conventional submarines. Has this been confirmed? I read a report sometime back that it was three more Scorpenes. So is it two or three or any?
Karan M wrote:Delayed, what else. They have been saying this year, next month from last two years.
March was the planned date from last year
http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?695744
Hope I am wrong..
"Next Month" has a different meaning to the folks in the MoD. Last I read was that interior painting is ongoing. The torpedoes are being painted in a glow-in-the-dark colour, so that the enemy can see them coming :)
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Amazing that writer of that hindi article was so well informed and wrote the whole thing very compactly.

He says arihant was on sea trial at the time of accident which means previous reports of reactor getting critical were correct!!!

Aridaman is the name of the second sub for non hindi speaking folks. Already published in media nothing to hide.....
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Katare my Hindi is atrocious! Can you please transalate that article into English for me? What does Aridaman mean?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

'enemy+destroyer'
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Arihant
Aridaman
Arinashak?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Katare wrote:Aridaman is the name of the second sub for non hindi speaking folks. Already published in media nothing to hide.....
Lest hope 3rd one is Dushtdaman.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

saip wrote:Arihant
Aridaman
Arinashak?
Sounds about right. The 'Sindhu' series and all. I guess it will be a challenge for us to guess the next 6 SSBN (Ari- boomer) names.

Ari*.*

:)
prithvi

Post by prithvi »

Cosmo_R wrote:
saip wrote:Arihant
Aridaman
Arinashak?
Sounds about right. The 'Sindhu' series and all. I guess it will be a challenge for us to guess the next 6 SSBN (Ari- boomer) names.

Ari*.*

:)
Arighatak
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

negi wrote:'enemy+destroyer'
daman isn't exactly destroyer, it's more like 'suppress and dominate'. likewise, hant is killer, I don't know how it became destroyer. may be the babus thought it was too strong in translation. ;)
I thought arijit and arinash were sureshot options.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

See what you started Chanakya? :-o
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Ariyunda (considering its bunker buster effects on teeth and long lingering fallout below the third shirt button)
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Daman is indeed "Domination"

Arihant = Destroyer of enemies.
Aridaman = Dominator over the enemies

nice.
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

How about Arijit Conquering enemies ( son of Krishna )
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

Not really a name to do with Indian Mythology but one that can really send a chill down the spine: INS Enthrone Darkness Triumphant! :D

But everything aside, how about naming the last sub in the series, just called the INS Triumphant.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

^^^^ Too close to the Triomphant Class SSBNs of France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triomphant_class_submarine
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

INS Babur.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

:lol:

gurinder ji, yinglish name ? quite unlikely. AFAIK IN has only one ship with yinglish name, INS investigator.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Rahul yeah my bad; haven't been myself lately , no time for BRF these days (can you imagine). :eek:
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Rakesh wrote:Katare my Hindi is atrocious! Can you please transalate that article into English for me? What does Aridaman mean?
It says that INS Aridaman will be like INS Arihant in terms of capabilities.

The accident happened when some French gate mechanism was being installed.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

INS Andaman and INS Nicobar are natural fits given these things will hang out in the seas. I am not in favour of sanskritized names that half the people cannot understand at all. names like arihant and tejas while used as people names have obscure meanings not known to 99% of non-hindi natives probably.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Another naming ceremony? :mrgreen:
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Full translation of the Hindi article:

After INS Arihant, India is now producing its second nuclear submarine, which is at an advanced stage and expected to be launched next year. Informed sources said India's second nuclear submarine named "INS Aridaman " will be its predecessor INS Arihant submarine's twin and its features, size and capabilities will be similar.

India inadvertently unveiled the second submarine in the shipyard in Visakhapatnam recently because of the accident at the shipyard. The accident killed four Navy personnel. When a section of the media published false reports that the accident would affect the sea trials of INS Arihant, some officials strongly denied that the incident happened while INS Arihant was in the dry dock.

India builds the second nuclear submarine INS Aridaman

These officials confirmed that the accident happened in the same docks used for Advanced Technology Vessel (the nuclear submarine project, codename), but at the time of the crash instead of Arihant there was another vessel.

It was later confirmed by other sources that the INS Arihant was moved for sea trials and the other vessel, being talked about, was in fact India's second nuclear submarine. Arihant INS was launched on July 26, 2008 by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's wife Gursharan Kaur. Traditionally, naval ships are launched by a woman.

Sources said the incident in the shipyard happened when one of the dock gates was being tested. Caisson, a French system which has three gates, was being set up for the first time in the shipyard. After putting two gates in place, the third gate was being installed there. The gate is forty feet high and about five - six feet wide and had naval officers and personnel standing on it. When the gate was wobbled, they fell into the dry dock. At the same time the sea water had to be left in the dry dock and the victims of this tragedy got a double hit leading to the loss of life.

Sources stressed that the incident will not affect the INS Arihant or any other sub building activity at the shipyard.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Next one probably will be named INS Arindam
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

krishnan wrote:Next one probably will be named INS Arindam
Where did you get that from? IIPM labs? :mrgreen: Not a great idea...the sub will then be ranked no. 1 in global exposure :P
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

99% of non-hindi natives probably.
All educated bengalis and oriyas will understand these names. "Tejosh' aaaal Bangalees will understand. "ori" also they will understand.

As it is Bengali is laden with many more Tadbhav words than Hindi.

Malayalam which borrows its vocabulary mainly from Sanskrit should have no issues either.

Assamese which is the sister language of Bengali and Oriya should not have any issues either. Given that it is a descendant of Ardhamagdhan Prakrit. Of course if today people from Assam don't get any of this then that's sad. Very sad.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

well, tejas is arguably a wimpy name but arihant is a fantastic choice IMO. while naming after geographical entities does have its place, nothing conveys intent more than a well chosen adjective or the name of an inspirational figure.

p.s. there already is an INS andaman and INS nicobar, http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Ship ... Class.html

roy sahab, I think you mean TatSam in this case, not TadBhav.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Gurinder P wrote:Not really a name to do with Indian Mythology but one that can really send a chill down the spine: INS Enthrone Darkness Triumphant! :D
Someone's a Dimmu Borgir fan, I percieve :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

X may get it, but Y wont. other than truly universal names like Shiva, Narayan, Rajesh, Smita which everyone in India can likely understand (though outliers in NE could still not get it) the rest are partial cover only. I am 100% certain no simple assamese you pull of the street can explain what vikrant or neha means but can relate to vikramaditya (people) or andaman(place).
dipak
BRFite

Post by dipak »

INS Arimardan
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Marten wrote:Aridaman, according to IBN Khabar (am sure folks following the wiki page already know about this).

http://khabar.ibnlive.in.com/news/53480/1
Martenji its all speculation. Naming is the last action before breaking coconut.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Since it is speculative season only, I vote for Arihant-II to be named INS Tandav. Nothing conveys murderous intent quite like that. Am sure even the Zaid hamid and Comrade Chu Chow types will figure out the significance in due time only.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

It wont be. It has to start with 'A' , and probably sound something like Ari...
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

dipak wrote:INS Arimardan
when I first read the name I pronounced it INS Armageddon :D
ArmenT wrote:
Gurinder P wrote:Not really a name to do with Indian Mythology but one that can really send a chill down the spine: INS Enthrone Darkness Triumphant! :D
Someone's a Dimmu Borgir fan, I percieve :)
An astute assumption you have made sir.
yantra
BRFite

Post by yantra »

D Roy wrote:
99% of non-hindi natives probably.
All educated bengalis and oriyas will understand these names. "Tejosh' aaaal Bangalees will understand. "ori" also they will understand.

Malayalam which borrows its vocabulary mainly from Sanskrit should have no issues either.

Assamese which is the sister language of Bengali and Oriya should not have any issues either. Given that it is a descendant of Ardhamagdhan Prakrit. Of course if today people from Assam don't get any of this then that's sad. Very sad.
Most of the Indian langauges (except only Tamil, probably) have Sanskrit base/origin. Sanskrit words are extensively used from Kannada-Telugu-Malayalam in South India and Bengali, Oriya (East), Marathi, Guj (West) and of course, Hindi. So Sankritized names come naturally to all Indians and should not be a problem to understand.

However, I have a question. In our 'secular' country, why do we not have Sikh, Muslim, Christian or Jewish names for our weapon systems/platforms?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

yantra wrote:
D Roy wrote:[quote99% of non-hindi natives probably./quote]

Most of the Indian langauges (except only Tamil, probably) have Sanskrit base/origin. Sanskrit words are extensively used from Kannada-Telugu-Malayalam in South India and Bengali, Oriya (East), Marathi, Guj (West) and of course, Hindi. So Sankritized names come naturally to all Indians and should not be a problem to understand.

However, I have a question. In our 'secular' country, why do we not have Sikh, Muslim, Christian or Jewish names for our weapon systems/platforms?
OT but dont be sucked in by Secular Ideology. Tamil has supprisngly a lot in common with Sanskrit.
kvraghavaiah
BRFite

Post by kvraghavaiah »

I do not support names other than sanskrit origin ones. sanskrit based names represent our actual culture and heritage.
Rest all names represent or communicate non-standard and non-Indian philosophies.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

because we don't have 'hindu' names either ?
there is nothing 'hindu' about a sanskrit name, it's Indian. conversely, there is nothing christian or islamic about english or arabic.