Artillery: News & Discussion

ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: Artillery: News & Discussion

Post by ks_sachin »

ramana wrote:I was on Twitter with lt gen PR Shankar (retd) and asked him about the Dhanduh tirals issues.
He says its OFB shells and barrel. And once they understood it was all well..
Didn't get into what were the issues? :)

I think its barrel wear causing muzzle strike due to shell cg offset.
And the ERFB shells are anyway low fracture toughness by design to produce right fragmentation pattern.
I am willing to leave it as we wont get the details nor should we.

As long as poor johnny's firing the guns done suffer from the barrel bursting incidents...I trust that the powers that be have factored the OFB shell quality into the barrel wear calculation...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

penny packet orders, small orders , artillery must be funded and built as a strategic project, if OFB has no capacity then let pvt cos also help on assembly lines. we need 1000 each of dhanush and ATAGS to make an impression. we can even engage idle russian artillery plants to produce our guns why waste friendly capacity?

north korea is the one nation that truly understands the effective use of massed artillery as a strategic deterrent asset no less than n-weapons.

while we fire off some 5 guns to impress VVIPs @ firing range on certain days, they place their bets in a unheard of manner

our quest for unobtainium is a never ending mess.

our army is never ready to deliver this kind of barrage because it nitpicks and asks for platinum where steel will do. if our army is never really ready based on imported systems, our GOIs options is reduced.
nitpick all you want about accuracy , but koi ma ka doodh nahi piya jo iske saamne takkar de sake...skip to 17:00 if you lack time

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

despite all the noises , the harsh reality is Pakis are able to match us 1:1 in heavy and light artillery on the northern stretches of the IB and on LOC.

and we are an economy 9X larger. :D
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

How is this sharang different than dhanush.. All too confusing only.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

The NoKo artillery demonstration linked above is good only for that - a demonstration. In war time, such a deployment would be asking for trouble, both from air and from CB fire.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Cybaru wrote:How is this sharang different than dhanush.. All too confusing only.
Not really. Sharang is OFB upgrade of the 130 mm M46 guns. It re barrels with 155mm x45 caliber and electronics.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

they can fire from various locations its the volume and numbers that matter. noko has sited them in well protected bunkers, caves, mobile units as required.

can anyone deny the 1:1 harsh reality i pointed out. if successive UPA/aman ki tamasha regimes took diktats from DC to keep indian artillery weak, atleast the army could have funded vast numbers of IFG105mm MKI which i heard with a modern shell can still reach out 25km. the red army built up gigantic numbers of crude howitzers, field cannons and katyushes in the later stages of ww2 and use to good effect in attack on the german homeland. the basic technology has not changed much.

we are just a couple of large import deals away from being (finally) ready to thrash the tspa. we are in dressing room getting ready since kargil - when shall batsman emerge to slaughter the bowlers :D its always easy for someone to open their purse, and "balance out" the 1:1 equation again. china probably has mountains of old cannons in some caves.

no wonder other serious powers make a mockery out of our interests . they know our threats are empty barkings. even iran is taken more seriously because iran has proven they can and will eat grass and stale bread but put some teeth into the enemy.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

I had mentioned this before, but I think tube artillery was given a short shrift for two decades because PGMs and rocket artillery caught the fancy of MoD folks. It is not like Bofors was an issue after early 90s and by end of PVNR government, the artillery could have been upgraded at any point. It is the Cold Start and its need for a graded escalation before usage of airpower or SSBMs, that caused them to wake up again

NoKo artillery is no benchmark. Their barrels slap around like a mosquito larvae after each shot. There must be so many barrel bursts that no one cares about over there! One can only imagine their accuracy, let alone their vulnerability during mustering time at the border against big budget airpower.

What we dont have as of today (post-Pulwama) is time. Time to build up the number of tubes in their hundreds, thanks to a hoary past of never ending testing cycles.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Rakesh wrote:As per wiki chacha, there are around 67 artillery regiments. Now if 45 of those regiments will convert to 155mm guns, imagine the sheer fire power they will bring.

And of the remaining 22 regiments, some units will feature the Pinaka and Smerch MBRL.

Brown pants for TSP are in order :)

If not for anything else, the first term of the Modi Govt will be remembered for a dramatic artillery transformation. The Josh is High in the Regiment of Artillery. Jai Hind!

Sarvatra Izzat-o-Iqbal (Everywhere with Honour and Glory) - Motto of the Regiment of Artillery, Indian Army.
Actually Rakesh there are 185 tube artillery regiments. The original plan was to convert all of these to 155mm. That may yet happen.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

JayS wrote:Dhanush gets bulk production clearance. :-)

https://twitter.com/DrUddipan/status/10 ... 2520100864
That's another super good news, glad that basic bread and butter are being pushed over gold plated equipment.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rupak wrote:Actually Rakesh there are 185 tube artillery regiments. The original plan was to convert all of these to 155mm. That may yet happen.
Thank You Sir! I am creating a new thread soon. Will add this info in.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thread Locked.