Naval Tejas Mk1/Mk2: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Naval Tejas Mk1/Mk2: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

Post by Rakesh »

ashishvikas wrote:Beautiful picture of Naval Mk2

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonMoD/sta ... 19232?s=19
Oh that is going in page 1 of this dhaaga! :)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Prasad wrote:
ashishvikas wrote:Beautiful picture of Naval Mk2

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonMoD/sta ... 19232?s=19
Beaut. Btw does this mean no wingtip station like the IAF version?
Yes. This pic was also posted on the first page of this thread, so please do go over that as well.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks great. Did they give a timeline?

Whats a Stabilator?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ramana wrote: Whats a Stabilator?
An all-moving horizontal tail.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

"Security Scan" as usual this time hammers the points we have nailed here time and again. It is disheartening to know about funding for Kaveri.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Was just leaving Goa after a private holiday and was at Indian Naval Aviation museum when LCA Navy decided to start a sortie. What a beautiful bird I could see flying with my own eyes
The pilot was putting it through turns etc. Visited Karwar and INS Chapal museum yesterday. According to people out there INS Vikram Aditya is deployed near Vizag. Didn't see any LCA , SBTF or Mig 29K on the ground at Goa airport
Last edited by Aditya_V on 26 Sep 2019 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

INS Chapal (agile) not Chaupal (raised platform acting as common area in North Indian villages)
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Corrected my Post, it was a pleasure seeing a Sister ship of the ships that participated in Operation Python and Trident and explaining to my Kids these operations, showing them the replica of the Styx, getting into the Missile hatch of the Styx, similarly touching a retired Harrier Jump jet, inspecting its hardpoints, drop tanks, seeing its engine etc.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Aditya_V wrote:Was just leaving Goa after a private holiday and was at Indian Naval Aviation museum when LCA Navy decided to start a sortie. What a beautiful bird I could see flying with my own eyes
The pilot was putting it through turns etc. Visited Karwar and INS Chapal museum yesterday. According to people out there INS Vikram Aditya is deployed near Vizag. Didn't see any LCA , SBTF or Mig 29K on the ground at Goa airport
Wow! I envy you, Aditya ji!

Thanks for sharing. It is special that someone from our forum had see the NLCA with his own eyes!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ramana wrote:Looks great. Did they give a timeline?

Whats a Stabilator?
Stabilizer + Elevator = all moving horizontal tail.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

In a First for the Light Combat Aircraft Navy, earlier today, the first ski jump takeoff and arrested landing in same flight undertaken at Shore Based Test Facility, Goa.
Full cycle demonstration of carrier operation technology by NP-2 took off at 1621 Hrs, trapped at 16:31 Hrs

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 22305?s=19
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Awesome. Page 1 updated.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Now both NP1 and NP2have been trapped.
Nalla Baalu
BRFite

Post by Nalla Baalu »

Saar, at Vizag, you can watch Mig-29K on landing approach and take-off roll from INS Dega, standing in balconies of most apartment buildings. Earlier this summer, they were buzzing the skies every morning like clock-work. You can also spot them parked under sheds from waiting lounge of VTZ airport. Its a beautiful sight of the big birds nestled between hills. Needless to say, no photography allowed.
Aditya_V wrote:Was just leaving Goa after a private holiday and was at Indian Naval Aviation museum when LCA Navy decided to start a sortie. What a beautiful bird I could see flying with my own eyes
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Tejas FB page has photos of takeoff and landing, with the hook catching the wire clearly captured!

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ The comment with the post is important.
An historic day for Defence R&D - first full cycle indigenous demonstration of technologies required for aircraft carrier operation of fighter aircraft was achieved last afternoon. LCA Naval Prototype NP2 launched from the ramp at 16:21 and trapped at 16:31 at INS Hansa (the time stamped on the images are the direct feed from the common time source broadcasting to all the testing equipments including the aircraft). Thus ski jump takeoff and arrested landing done in the same flight as indicated in the image. Readers who are familiar with time formats commonly used in Flight Test Instrumentation, would know the first figure on the time indicates the day of the year. Coming so soon after the maiden arrested landing on 13 Sep it shows the heights that can be achieved by my countrymen with drive and determination.
Jai Hind.
For those asking about the LEVCONS, notice the different LEvcon positions at take off and landing.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

putnanja wrote:Tejas FB page has photos of takeoff and landing, with the hook catching the wire clearly captured!
Beautiful! When one thinks of the complexities, stresses and perils of carrier trapping, this might be our most impressive project of all. Progress has been smooth and on point.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Ramana guru,
our kid is well on its way to haaahwaard :-)
Nalla Baalu
BRFite

Post by Nalla Baalu »

Poof. Didnt read Indranil's post about time stamps above.
SKrishna
BRFite

Post by SKrishna »

Eagerly waiting Indranil and JayS take on LCA Navy Mk2...

Saurabh Jha tweets
https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/117 ... 85058?s=21
Tuning out for now. Will tweet the link to the first part of @delhidefence's article on the LCA-Navy Mk-I fighter when I am back. Cheers.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

It's very well written. Obviously by somebody who understands aerodynamics pretty well. He has got all of it right. Nilesh and my article goes into more detail about the aspects he is speaking of with specifics of NLCA. It should be published soon.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Indranil wrote:It's very well written.
Yes, so much so that, on reading the article, I made an immediate donation to his site. I initially assumed that he was a desi (I figured, who but a desi would show such interest in the LCA program?), but no, he's a Brit. Being a Brit, he is inherently free of any pro-desi bias, and I felt a surge of pride in reading his comments on the LCA -- after all, they come from an unbiased source.

Indranil: looking forward to reading your article.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

'Navy looking at electric propulsion to cut down on fossil fuels'

The main focus was on capacity building for smaller countries providing them hardware and ships, says Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh

On October 4-5, the Navy hosted the second edition of the Goa Maritime Conclave (GMC) attended by 10 Indian Ocean littoral states and observers from a few friendly foreign countries. It was set up in 2017 to identify common threats in the region and evolve cooperative mechanisms to tackle them. In a brief conversation with The Hindu on the sidelines of the GMC, Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh spoke about the conclave, India’s push for regional cooperation and the indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft

The indigenous Naval Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) recently had its first arrested landing on the Shore Based Test Facility in Goa. What is the way forward for the programme?

This LCA is a technology demonstrator. We will assist the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in this effort. But the one which we want, we are making the Quality Requirements (QR) for it, a twin engine deck based fighter. If it meets the QRs and in the correct time frame, we will take it.

These QRs are separate from the ongoing tender for 57 carrier based fighters. It (the new development) won’t meet the timelines for this (tender).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Indranil wrote:It's very well written. Obviously by somebody who understands aerodynamics pretty well. He has got all of it right. Nilesh and my article goes into more detail about the aspects he is speaking of with specifics of NLCA. It should be published soon.

The NLCA came with delta wings by default.

Also, the delta wing has been the topic of discussion for some time in some informed circles of our decision makers.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

chetak wrote:'Navy looking at electric propulsion to cut down on fossil fuels'

This LCA is a technology demonstrator. We will assist the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in this effort. But the one which we want, we are making the Quality Requirements (QR) for it, a twin engine deck based fighter. If it meets the QRs and in the correct time frame, we will take it.

These QRs are separate from the ongoing tender for 57 carrier based fighters. It (the new development) won’t meet the timelines for this (tender).
OMG I have been saying this for ages. NLCA should be a twin engined bird the single engined NLCA mk2 or whatever was never going to work - here it is from the horse's mouth. :D :-o I guess this will be a third program for the ADA guys?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cain Marko wrote:
OMG I have been saying this for ages. NLCA should be a twin engined bird the single engined NLCA mk2 or whatever was never going to work - here it is from the horse's mouth. :D :-o I guess this will be a third program for the ADA guys?
these are not new concerns saar. They have been discussed with the powers that be for quite some time now.

Positions are crystallizing and concerns are being articulated so that there is no slip between the cup and the lip.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

It is not for a new LCA Navy with 2 engines. It is for a new AMCA naval variant.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

But still feel Navy should develop LCA Navy Mk1 for atleat 16 aircraft- to develop a Carrier based aircraft, to have local industry producing it, Navy can use them as shore based fighters.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

One can call it what one wishes namca etc., But I think the interview clearly shows that the Navy is not interested in the single engined mk2/MWF, which shouldn't come as a surprise I guess.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

IN thinks it needs to get the most bang because of the limited number of slots available. So it's either the rafale or the hornet it is banking on. Sad, but that's the truth imho.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rahul M wrote:IN thinks it needs to get the most bang because of the limited number of slots available. So it's either the rafale or the hornet it is banking on. Sad, but that's the truth imho.
The IN was the first service that seriously funded both the ALH and the LCA.

This was done with a lot of hope and expectations......
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

chetak wrote:
Rahul M wrote:IN thinks it needs to get the most bang because of the limited number of slots available. So it's either the rafale or the hornet it is banking on. Sad, but that's the truth imho.
The IN was the first service that seriously funded both the ALH and the LCA.

This was done with a lot of hope and expectations......
Yeah and I was frankly quite surprised. The TWR on LCA variants was never going to be enough for stobar ops but hats off to the Navy for trying. They even deputed one of their top guns Cmde Mao to the NLCA program iirc.

I'm super glad that they are looking at an indigenous design for the twin engined bird though. Can't wait for some pics. Maybe it will be a naval variant of the AMCA or even the LCA.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

If the IN wants a twin-engine fighter, would it make sense to go with an AMCA-Navy, rather than start with a clean-sheet design?

The AMCA itself can be designed from the ground up to be a Navy fighter. And even if it doesn't have all the features of the final AMCA-IAF, several of the features can be proofed on the Navy version.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Hope you guys like it.

A Detailed Look At The Design Evolution Of India’s Naval-LCA Mk1 Fighter

Warning: Technical details like loss of range by 500% due to Indian design and environmental conditions have been left out. Reader discretion is advised.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Fantastic article! Well done Indranil and Nilesh!
Warning: Technical details like loss of range by 500% due to Indian design and environmental conditions have been left out. Reader discretion is advised.
:lol: Thermoclines! You forgot those pesky Indian thermoclines!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

:lol: Saar, you have awesome timing.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Page 1 of this thread updated. Thank you to both for this. Greatly appreciated.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Indranil: You would'nt happen to know the serial numbers of the following birds would you?

• NP-3 ... KHN-30XX ... fighter variant
• NP-4 ... KHN-30XX ... fighter variant
• NP-5 ... KHN-T-30XX ... trainer variant
• NP-6 ... KHN-30XX ... fighter variant
• NP-7 ... KHN-30XX ... fighter variant

Is it safe to assume it will be KHN-3003 to KHN-3007?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Everything is very fluid on the NLCA front (regarding funding). So, nobody is sure.