What kind of equipment do the Indian police have?

Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Re: What kind of equipment do the Indian police have?

Post by Riza Zaman »

I guess it varies from state to state - including their insignia et al. Calcutta police's insignia is a slight modification of the one during the British (mis)rule.<P>There is also a difference in the dress codes for IPS officers and regular personell. Like in the army, they are not allowed to grow a beard, except with the permission of their superior.<P>What else...<P>They still use a modified version of the Queen's pips in shoulder tab rank designation.<p>[This message has been edited by Riza Zaman (edited 20-03-2001).]
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Gentlemen,<P>I think you should all go to this link:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.the-week.com/20oct01/events8.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.the-week.com/20oct01/events8.htm</A> <P>It contains the following paragraph:<BR>"The shortage in the police armoury is even more acute. According to an estimate, there is an urgent need for arms worth Rs 1,900 crore including 388,000 SLRs, 154,527 9mm pistols and 5,430 LMGs. In addition, there are complaints that weapons supplied to the police are often the ones rejected by the army. There is no mechanism in the police department to rectify a faulty AK 47 and often it is dumped in the storeroom."<P>Wonder if we can get the actual report ? <P>There is no dearth of good intentions - it's just that these reports' recommendations never get implemented.
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

There is some good news on modernization of the police. I remember reading this which I think it is the times of india. It was about the the Mumbai Pune expressway. I remember saying that the one police officer said that the cars they woul have to chase on the expressway would be at 120km/h and their cars only go 50km/h. Does not exactly state that they are procuring new cars but it is very likely to happen.<BR> Does anybody know how strong the lathis are? Do they ever break? Any plans for those nightsticks the U.S police use?
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Shim, their lathis hurt... esp. the bamboo ones! I'd rather take a blow from a nightstick than a bamboo cane anyday!
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

Dear Riza,<BR> How do you know that the bamboo hurts? Sorry if you got hit. Not the best thing to have. Is there any chance of it breaking?<BR> I just hope that the police is modernized or at least modernized along the mumbai-pune expressway. You cannot chase cars if you have such a slow moving jeep. I did hear that they would. No road blocks would be good on the expressway because the purpose is to go fast. I just prey. They got the communications.<BR> Has anybody heard of the Vajra riot control vehicle?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Slightly off topic, but, if you dont mind, Mr. Ratia, could you tell me a little about the IPS, since your fathers in the police? im curious about the difference between SPS and IPS, because I dont really know what the system is.. for example, can an SPS officer become an SP, or DIG, or are those positions reserved for IPS officers?<P>Incidentally, wrt a previous post, i thought there wass a standard uniform code for IPS officers... can only calcutta police wear the ex-british pips or do all personnel incuding IPS wear them?<P>Thanks to all,<P>Aditya Singh Puar<P><p>[This message has been edited by ASPuar (edited 18-03-2001).]
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Good to see this thread still active. Image<BR>I think no force in India wears the pips (or crown for that matter) as part of the ensignia. It has been replaced by the Indian Star (i.e the 5 points one). The police forces have a Silver star, while the Army uses the Golden star.<P>If you visit the calcutta police web site the ranks the officers are shown (no rank ensignias). They are quite similar to the ones in other place (esp. the ranks of the local police). Mumbai police have an additional sub-ordinate staff rank, that is of the Assistant Police Inspector (API). They have 3 stars and a red ribbon, while a normal Inspector (PI) will have 3 stars and a blue and red ribbon. They also have a grading system of constables. Some constables have one/two/three golden stripes on a black shoulder strap.<P>The bamboo lathi hurts quite well. Image Even worse is the thin version of the lathi. In some schools the teachers use this. The pain lingers on your body for quite some time. The police I think are comfortable with their lathis, so no change over to US night sticks. This is one equipment which I would suggest the US police start using.<P>Regarding IPS and the State Police. Every state has a percentage of its officers (who would have joined as SIs or Dy.SPs) to be given honorary IPS. Generally officers who have served 9 years as Dy.SP can be given an IPS. But with an IPS they generally become an SP, and it would be time for them to retire. Usually such IPS officers never reach above the rank of a Sr.SP. High ranking Police Officers are all from the IPS direct entry cadre.<P>IPS rank ensignias are also fixed. They use the same Indian Star, and a silver Ashoka emblem and the <I>crossed sword-baton</I>. Their peak caps will have a black band on which the IPS cap badge will be placed.<P><A HREF="http://www.calcuttapolice.org" TARGET=_blank>Calcutta Police</A><BR><P>------------------<BR>Sachin P.K<BR>-------------------------<BR><A HREF="http://sachin_pk.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>Sachin's Camp on the Web</A><BR>-------------------------<BR>
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

The problem is not with Police equipment, I accept the fact that their are severe shortcomings.<P>The main problem is that the Police force is answerable to the 'local' state politco who in a large percent of cases is also the person whith the longest history sheet in the locality. Witness Siwan couple of days ago.
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

If the lathis hurt badly then I do not want to know how bad the people feel after they get lathi carged. Sachin do you have information regarding to police abuse? India Abroad had a huge article on that and I do not remember too much about it. Since you live in Manhastra do you know if the police there are switching over to cars that are capable of keeping up with speeders on the Mumbai-Pune expresway?<BR> Also how good are the police special task force are? Are they as good as a SWAT team in the U.S? I just hope so.<BR> By the way is Calcutta the only police service to have mounted police? Hope these are not to many questions. But you and your sources on police are pretty reliable.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

shim<BR>There is widespread allegation that Indian Police beat up the accused. But AFAIK none of the police depts. in the world can say that they never mis-handled any criminal in their jurisdiction. <P>But again there are few misconceptions regarding the police abuse. Through movies and other media it is always shown that the Indian Police just starts beating up a person as soon as he is put in the lock-up. Now this image has seeped in to the Indian people as a whole. While in majority of the cases, the police does some good investigation (to find out the accused and his accomplices) and to further get more incriminating evidence, use third-degree procedures on the prisoner. The days when the cops just pick up any one and force the crime on him are gone (atleast in my state). Please remember that the courts in India wants a whole lot of evidence, and generally criminals in India are not all that enthusiastic in spilling the beans Image There have been murderers who have committed the crime and surrendered before the police. Their statements were taken down and they were taken to the court without giving a single beating.<P>Most of the cities (major ones) have got some unit like the SWAT. Mumbai police has its own commando units who are better equipped. I think they are doing a good job. I am temporarily staying in Mumbai, so don't know much about the switching over to high-speed cars. Other small town police force never comes across armed kidnappings etc. Maximum they would come across is a criminal armed with a knife, and they could be overcome with some tactics and force. Guns are not all that popular in many parts of India.<P>Many states have Mounted Police. But in many places they are used only for ceremonial purposes. I have seen some some video clippings of the Andhra Pradesh Mounted Police (if my memory is correct), thrashing away to glory participants of some pro-Naxalite outfit.<P>------------------<BR>Sachin P.K<BR>-------------------------<BR><A HREF="http://sachin_pk.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>Sachin's Camp on the Web</A><BR>-------------------------<BR>
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

<BR>Thanks for the info... incidentally what does the designation IC when referring to an IPS officer stand for? Ive noticed three or four sorts.. RR (Which is regular UPSC category) EC/SSC which is the Emergency/ Short serive officers of the armed forces who were then inducted into IAS/IPS after 62 65 and 71 wars, SPS which is the state cadre. Now I dont know what IC is. Im assuming its a departmental or internal commission or something. Any ideas?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

IC might mean Indian Commission.<P>------------------<BR>Sachin P.K<BR>-------------------------<BR><A HREF="http://sachin_pk.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>Sachin's Camp on the Web</A><BR>-------------------------<BR>