Snipers of the Indian Army

Joeqp
BRFite

Re: Snipers of the Indian Army

Post by Joeqp »

How good are they? Pretty good, I'd think. In the absence of any "International Sniper Olympics", it is tough to compare them with those of other countries.<P>Myself, I've seen a decent sharpshooter put a 4" grouping at 200 yards, with an SLR and no scope. Yes, I could not even see the target. Yes, I'm also glad I didn't take his bet. Image<P>Basically, with the equipment they have, I think they are among the best.<P>As for the sniper equipment, I think the Dragunov is the standard issue sniper rifle.
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

Have you read the name policy? No, we are not going to ask you to show your id. But cooperation will be greatly appreciated.<P>Oh! They are the best!
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

israel has been using snipers in gaza to<BR>selectively deal with certain people. TiMe<BR>mag had something on it recently.<BR>
anil
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anil »

LNS,<BR>are you serious about the hitting that small coin at 1200 metres?<BR>was the guy using a Dragunov?
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

During Kargil there were reports of indian snipers getting PA troops at a KM range.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

In shooting a 50 paise coin from a KM? seems very good indeed. I heard from some one that he could shoot a button at 200 m with 85 to 90% success rate, And can shoot point blank at a moving target at that distance. Boy!! i thought why was he not going to the olempics. I am sure most of them are v.v.good<p>[This message has been edited by venkat_r (edited 13-06-2001).]
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

during kargil a grenadier sniper did indeed<BR>"bag a few" at around 1000-1200m in poor <BR>light firing up/down slopes which is tough.<P>dragunov was used.
Babui
BRFite

Post by Babui »

Rudra Singha - source ?
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

NSG commandos are made to shoot their targets with their partners standing in front of them.Pretty cool huh?
Sahil
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sahil »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harry:<BR><B>NSG commandos are made to shoot their targets with their partners standing in front of them.Pretty cool huh?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>COOL?, damn, id prob...wet my chudies..if i had to stand in front of a 7.56 (or whatever it is)
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

Babui it came in media. his name was Subhash<BR>I believe and the whole encounter was described. iirc he bagged 3-4 in same encounter.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I read a newsreport a couple of years ago where the central character was a woman sharpshooter of the army. Apparently she had wanted to get married to one gentleman, family disagreed strongly, she took a weapon and headed for the hills Rambo style. Think they talked her out of whatever she had in mind. Don't remember the rest of the details.
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

Ah! A fine topic. The secret is in the breathing. Honestly pranayama can do wonders here.<P>As an aside, i cant imagine why good snipers would be hard to find in any professional army. They are only a handpicked few. We should have competent snipers.<P>As an another aside, check out the berbers of Morocco, any respectable warrior is capable of hitting a dollar coin at a hundred yards in full gallop on horseback.<P>regards
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

Oh, forgot to add the berbers only have (had?) muzzleloaders (blackpowder).<P>nifty, eh??
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Ah yes, MY type of talk ... forget strategic weapons, this is where the 25 paisa coin stops Image<P>Here's what I know<BR>IA trains its snipers in pairs, 2 men to a team who remain a team as long as circumstances permit. As is the convention around the world, a sniper team consists of two units: a spotter and a shooter. Each man is trained to excel as both. Unlike the photos in BR's photo gallery, only one sniper takes goes "hot" (takes aim) at a time while the other looks out for targets or threats. So far, the role of snipers in the IA haven't been terribly important mainly because of the conventional view of battle (and terrain) prevailing within the IA (make no mistake, most the IA brass still think of defeating the enemy with overwhelming force like in Kargil, what a waste of lives) but now they're being increasingly seen as unit force multipliers. Snipers are highly valued resources in Kashmir where sniper teams are nearly always deployed during raids on terrorist hideouts and sometimes during cordon-and-search ops.<P>Dragunovs are the standard issue for all IA snipers, but most spec forces are supplied with PSG-1/MSG-90,SSG-2000 etc. Like commandos, snipers are allowed to grow beards.<P>One of the main gripes of IA snipers is that the IA rarely sanction funds for them to participate in sniper championships held around the world and there is no program for even the best snipers to try out for olympics and other events.<P>Manavendra: there IS a world sniper championships, singapore commandos won it this time.<P>By the way, the term "sniper" evolved in India during the Raj!<p>[This message has been edited by Riza Zaman (edited 13-06-2001).]
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

eQUOTE]Originally posted by Mahadev:<BR><B>Ah! A fine topic. The secret is in the breathing. </B>[/QUOTE]<P>I saw an interview with a sniper (not Indian)<P>Yes, breathing, but heartbeat as well. He described the aiming process as "Relax, aim, breathe, heartbeat, shoot"<P>Holding a breath is useless - it causes tremors and exhaustion. Breathing must be steady - but that causes movement. The moment between breaths is ideal, but a heartbeat causes a slight shake - so one needs to be aware of this and compensate - "breathe, beat, squeeze" The heartbeat is out of one's control, breathing is partially under control and pressing the trigger voluntary. The trick is to coordinate the three - like a well choreographed dance sequence.<BR>
S Bajwa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S Bajwa »

What is the name of American Sniper rifle that shoot almost 1.5 miles?<P>Sandeep
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

<I>"What is the name of American Sniper rifle that shoot almost 1.5 miles?"</I><P>Sandeep:<BR>I believe you're referring to the M-50. Reportedly a fantastically accurate weapon, used by (among others) the Israelis. Perhaps Avram can comment.<P>Anil:<BR>I believe IA standard issue for snipers is the Dragunov with telescopic sights. Commandos and SF types probably have much wider latitude in choosing their preferred weapons and equipment (including night scopes), based on the type of mission at hand.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Mohan Raju (edited 14-06-2001).]
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

> Is shooting a 50 paise coin at 1200 metres <BR>> good enough ??<P>Seems hard to believe.<P>The rifle was mounted on very stable tripod and even then, I don't see how a bullet can travel straight over such a long distance. Did the shooter compensate for the drop in trajectory... and how many shots did he make to take out the coin? <BR>
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neshant Sajen:<BR><B><BR>The rifle was mounted on very stable tripod and even then, I don't see how a bullet can travel straight over such a long distance. Did the shooter compensate for the drop in trajectory... and how many shots did he make to take out the coin? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Time to blow trumpet. I used to be able to hit a match head at 10 metres using a telescopic site, support and a Weihrauch HW 80 air rifle. Gravity acts 100% of the time and all bullets start falling the microsecond they leave the barrel, so any shooting requires compensation for gravity. At 1200 metres - the bullet (leaving the barrel at 800-900 m/sec) still has to travel about 2 sec (due to slowdown in velocity) and will drop about 10 metres. But these things are calibrated on the sight itself.<P>However, it may be difficult to see a 50 p coin at 1000 metres. Hitting one would speak volumes for the person who shoots as well as the degree of precision of the instrument (rifle). I would love to own one.<BR>
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

i seem to have read somewhere that each patrolling party in Kashmir have a person with a sniper rifle. also recently i believe there were reports in indiadefence that army was looking to procure more sniper rifles. i think india should go in for both 7.62mm and 12.7mm rifles alongwith 9mm (sniper rifles) rifles for special forces.<P>also considering that india is now going in for insas why not use the facilies of isapore 7.62mm for making sniper rifles. also for short distance use a sniper varient of 5.56mm insas may also be useful.<P>lastly nsg training is for short range target practice when your buddy stands NEXT to the target.<p>[This message has been edited by Raj Malhotra (edited 14-06-2001).]
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

What are the requirements for a good sniper rifle? My guesses:<P>1)I would guess that one needs to use materials that do not warp/bend change shape just that wee bit due to temperature changes from use.<P>2)The instrument needs to be finely balanced so that even the movement of a bullet within the barrel should not cause any change in ain - or at least any reaction should be transmitted in a manner that aim is not upset by the act of firing.<P>3)The rifle should be ergonomic and confortable.<P><BR>4)I think the ammunition has to be just right, giving out just the right volume of gas, at the same precise rate to give the same aceleration to the bullet every time.<P>All these "fine" requirements" remind me of LCA/JSF type discussion. A good sniper rifle requires first class machining, great metallurgy, good chemistry for the proellant and a great knowledge of ballistics, and great bullets that behave exactly the same round after round.<P>Does India have the capability/in house technology to do this?<P>(Mentally I am comparing a series of Weihrauch air rifles I have owned with the Kolkata air rifles I can buy here in India. The former are precision instruments. The latter are crude toys.)
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Raj, the Ishapore in itself would serve adquately as a sniper rifle, not too popular because of the wieght though. The INSAS will have to be modified to such an enourmous extent to compensate for accuracy, range, stability, etc.<P>Kabra, the author is obviously Western Image True that the Dragunov not as accurate as some western ones, but it's lighter, cheaper, simpler and more durable & reliable. Trash about a PSG-1 and then try to use it ... it's only value will be that of an unwieldy club! <P>Shiv, add a high muzzle velocity, an effective flash suppresant, compatibility with various devices such as telescopic sights/NV-IR scopes etc. and a silencer
darshand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by darshand »

the SLR is being used as a sniper rifle - there is a pic somewhere in the special forces page of BR itself. Think its the paracommandos - a SLR with some US sniperscope.<BR>Also I would like to know what other equipment the IA snipers have - gillie suits etc. thats as important as the rifle itself if we are going to inject the snipers into enemy territory for covert missions. <BR>Darshan
Radhey
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Radhey »

An Interesting discussion on Dragunov......<BR> <A HREF="http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/RifleDragunov.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Ri ... nov.htm</A> <P>Also checkout the Photo Gallery...<BR> <A HREF="http://www.snipercountry.com/photogalle ... allery.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.snipercountry.com/photogalle ... ery.htm</A> <P>BTW, Choose 'Weapons of the Sniper' and scroll down to Dragunov... Image<P><BR>Cheers<BR>Rs<p>[This message has been edited by Radhey Shyam (edited 15-06-2001).]
chanakya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chanakya »

Interesting discussion! <P>GI considers snipers scum. Primarily because they stalk their victim, get to know their behavior, look them in the eyes and takes one shot that is a sure kill. Besides, snipers carry bounty on their heads, which even generals don't! Given that snipers get it from both ends it is really hard to find people with such a hardened mind. As a sniper school instructor was saying, the toughest thing for a sniper is to sit in the field next to the enemy and make sure his heart doesn't fall off the cage! Hence, the sniper program by itself was an on-again, off-again one in US Army. <P>Long-range shooters in the US Army (during the wild west era) used to fire a Sharpe gun (hence the name sharp shooter for a sniper). However, the effective use of snipers wasn't evident till WWII. As always, the krauts had started the first sniper program under some captain. They developed it as an art. However, the Russkies with their deadly D's made it a science. Hitler wanted to take down a Russian sniper with over 100 confirmed kills. Hence that captain was sent on the mission. Apparently, after a long period of stalking, the canteen of the Russian's spotter was exposed for a second and was nailed by the poor German. The flash from the kraut gave his position and the Russian put one through his eyes. Russian hence got the Order of Lenin (or whatever it is that equals PVC).<P>Yanks restarted the sniper program during 'nam. One of the legends of that program was Carlos (don't know his last name). He and his spotter bagged 150 kills. There is also a legend of Carlos (was said to have developed a sixth sense of being a sniper!) going one-on-one with a terrific gook sniper and taking him down exactly the same way as the Russkie did! As an aside point, Carlos got the Medal of Honor not for his 150 kills but for helping out guys from a burning tank and in the process was severely wounded.<P>Yanks used (and continue to use) bolt-action Springfield's. Ironically, US army didn't develop a weapon exclusively for snipers! Compared to that the deadly D is considered a good weapon! But as one of the sniper who survived with more that 100 kills said the weapon is an important thing. However, more important is the person who uses it! That's why you don't see old snipers around!<P>US Army tries to train most of its special forces in sniper school. The best result was during Desert storm when a recee squad, which got exposed, held a battalion till the angels arrived! <P>As far as I know about Indian army, until the Operation in SL, snipers where considered scum. However, in CI ops everything is as personal as it gets. Hence, snipers were considered angels! I'm not aware of sniper schools in IA, if there is one correct me!
Tapas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Tapas »

Several years ago my cabbie (I was going to Regarn National Airport in DC) happened to be an ex US Navy Seal, who also was a sniper in Vietnam. He told me that he could shoot to kill at 2 Miles (yes TWO miles). The funny part of the story was that as he visited India in sixties (part of a US admiral's personal team or whatever) and a Maharaja offered him a job to be His excellencies tiger shooting companion. The Seal man politely declined the invitation. Good for Indian tigers - I would say.
Avram S
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Avram S »

What? Israeli snipers suck? Well brother, each time you have an enemy in your sight you have to worry about the political costs of squeezing the trigger and need to confirm with some higher up especially these days. It is more easier to lob a tank shell or two and claim colleteral damage. We had Arafat in our sight way back in the summer of 1982 but Begin did not sanction it. Not only Arafat but many others in his circle for that matter and we have since lived to regret that decision. When we hit his HQ in Tunisia with our air planes we actually wanted to take him out but it did not happen. So to say Israeli snipers suck is very insulting but I will take it as a joke.<P>I would like to know that dude who shot a 50 paise coin at 1200 meters. I like to think that whoever he/she is most probably the weapon used must be a blow gun. LOL? Even with the best of the best sniper rifle M82 Barret if one is to exclude the noise (ask any US marine and he would argue that the Remington M40A1 is the best sniper weapon around) factor taking a coin at that distance would need the recital of John 3.16 straight from the Bible a thousand times with a goat or a lamb sacrificed as bribe to which ever God was in charge at that time when the gun was discharged. A 50 caliber shell with sabot would probably go as far as 1.8km in ALMOST straight trajectory (Gravity still rules...) but taking down a tiny object would need God's interference for sure. Most sniper "jobs" are done at much close range but then ofcourse we all have read about Carlos Hancock of the Marine in Vietnam. He used a 50 cal round in a modified Browning machinegun.<BR>As recently as last week the Macedonian sharpshooters were using 50 caliber sniper rifles against Albanian terrorists in the Tetevo sector with impressive reports like "bandits" hiding behind brick and wooden barns being taken out. Nobody could verify this but we all can trust in the penetrating power of the fifty caliber ammo at long distance.<BR>Even if we have all seen the movie "Enemy at the gate" lets not get carried away about the reality of sniper warfare during the Second World War. No disrespect to Russian/Soviet snipers/sharpshooters but during that conflict German snipers were the best of the best and they were kings with their modified Mauser rifles from the French shores to the Volga forests in the eastern front. Books and manuals have been written about Nazi sniper ops by both western writers and Russian writers. Militaries on both side learned a great deal in the art of sniping from the Germans. And most of all there was NEVER any deadly D's during the second world war. The Dragunov came long after the war. Then, the Russians used the Tokarev SVT38 which was attached with scope and renamed Tokarev SVT40. Some were even using the Tzarist period rifle called Mosin Nagant. I was told even some Viet Cong snipers used similar Nagant rifles. But at sniper ranges the Mauser was supreme.<BR>Snipers in the US military go back to the civil war. During those days, they were called sharpshooters. In the Union army, these guys wore a very unique uniform that easily identifies them and these days the sharpshooter uniform is a prized collectors item and only a handful is available if one is extremely lucky. Dont think even Smithsonian has it!<BR>The USA had deployed snipers in combat ever since from the charge up the San Juan Hills to Verdun to Ardennes to Korea to Vietnam to Kuwait. They also have deployed covert sniper deep cover units in Central/South America against leftist revolutionaries and drug trafficking outfits.<BR>India like the British (even though French sharp shooters gave them enough bloody noses in the Napoleonic battles) had a not too positive view regarding snipers until Tiger snipers gave them a rude awakening. However, India being India, snipers still operate as part of a larger military outfit. Kargil was a good example of such ops. Even today such is true. It would be interesting to know if the IA ever deploys "Carlos Hancock" style sniper deep cover ops along the LOC or even behind enemy lines.<BR>Most of all there is a big misconception in the use of the word "sniper". Usually snipers are deployed in deepcover ops. In the case of a seige, usually sharpshooters are used.<BR>Sniping is not a childs play and it is more than sharpshooting done by sharpshooters. Snipers sometimes (mostly true in Vietnam) hide and wait on their stomach for days under the bush in rain or sunny days waiting to grease they prey without moving an inch. A snake might move past you. A bug might hop on your ears. A leach might sneak into your nose. At night a million mosquitos might chew on your for blood. One has to withstand all that with very little movement as possible while waiting for the target to appear. A slight movement could tip off an enemy sniper who might be in the vicinity. <BR>Avram Sprinzl<BR>
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Someone here posted this link a while back<BR> <A HREF="http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl. ... 10/toc.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl. ... toc.htm</A> <P>US Army Sniper Training Manual<P>
Avram S
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Avram S »

The Gragunov SVD actually has an effecive range of about 600 to 800 meters with good accuracy to about 500meters. After 500 or so meters, it would take extreme aiming and experience to hit a target. One positive aspect of this weapon is that its design and manufacture is respectable. However it is not comparable to M40A1 or the M82 in range or accuracy. But then the sniper is more potent weapon than the rifle in any case.<BR>AS
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

Folks in the US might have seen the NBC program on the Barrett ripoff - the Maadi Griffin 50 cal. By the way the maker of this 50 cal rifle is a retired school teacher. Amazing thing, it cost lot less than the barrett (1/10th or something) and is easily assembled.<P>To clarify, when I said breathing, it includes the whole process, in , hold , out. AFAIK, the trigger gets squeezed while exhaling.<P>By the way, please refrain from referring to Vietnamese soldiers as 'gooks'. It is very derogatory.<P>Avram, I believe the deep penetration roles you are describing, are they done by units like Marine Force recon?<BR>
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

it is true that developing a good sniper rifle will take a lot of money and endeavor. on the other hand for simple marksmenship or sharp shooter role a modified insas and isapore will do well. <BR>but that requires the army to change atitude and be proactive-weep-weep!!<BR>though there is 2.5X scope for insas and it may evolve into something. with a useable range of even 400m for a 'sniper insas' may solve most of counter insurency roles.<P>as for border and seige situations a bullpup 12.7 mm is required. call up nandas etc to place the order i suppose.<P>incidentally even single barrel light 20mm and 23mm guns/cannons have been used for direct fire-sniping role. army also used the AA guns for something similar on border. though as usual busy with ATV etc etc ofb-drdo produces neither.<P>incidentally i read sometime ago on BR that BDL is going for manu of 7.62mm rifles. is something cooking here.<P><BR>
chanakya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chanakya »

Avrim,<P>Thanks for the note that the D's weren't around during WWII. I still believe that I'm right. Too bad that I didn't record the history channel program which was the source of the info I provided.<P>Thanks for the note on effective use of sharpe (a name of manufacturer) shooters during the civil war. Even though sharp shooters were used as a long range shooters they were first used in the civil war for deep penetration roles. I vaguely remember that the biggest kill of a sharpe shooter was a general (don't remember union or confedrate). The legend goes that the general had a warning about sharpshooters around and was asked not to address the men in the open. He didn't heed to the warning and came out. Apparently, he was scored as soon as he came out. This led to a bounty on the sharpe shooter and hence the start of counter-sniper programs!
Joeqp
BRFite

Post by Joeqp »

<I><B>Originally posted by Mahadev:<BR></B>Folks in the US might have seen the NBC program on the Barrett ripoff - the Maadi Griffin 50 cal. By the way the maker of this 50 cal rifle is a retired school teacher. Amazing thing, it cost lot less than the barrett (1/10th or something) and is easily assembled.</I><P>Yep, the Maadi looks pretty sweet. The best thing is that the kit costs just $450! (or so I've heard)<BR>For more information, visit <A HREF="http://www.maadigriffin.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.maadigriffin.com/</A> <BR>
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

<I>"So to say Israeli snipers suck is very insulting but I will take it as a joke."</I><P>Avram:<P>I must be missing something here. Who said "Israeli snipers suck"? Someone on this thread?<BR>
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Mohan Raju - the quote is in the first post of this thread - although it is qualified by the words "I have read sometimes that" - Israeli snipers suck. <P>Good to have a disclaimer while making any generalization - eg "I have heard that US snipers suck"<P>"What?"<P>"Yes, I believe they suck Polo mints while waiting for a target"<P>Sorry Image<BR><p>[This message has been edited by shiv (edited 16-06-2001).]
chanakya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chanakya »

Kabra,<P>Loving yanks wont change facts! Image <P>I'm sure about what I said. Unless you missed it, I mentioned that the snipers were used extensively during the civil war. After the war, the snipers were considered immoral force and the program was abandoned. The program was not revived again till the draining urban engagements of WWII. Immediately after the war, the general staff and the commander-in-chief decided to scrap the program again on the grounds that they were immoral. In the next engagement (Korean), snipers weren't used primarily because the Chinese didn't use them and the yanks were playing the moral high ground card. <P>In the next engagement in 'nam being a purely CI ops no questions of morality surfaced. Gooks were improvising and using snipers very effectively. Hence, a Major who was a good shot was commissioned to start sniper school right in the field. That is the origin of the current sniper school of the US Armed forces. Carlos was one of the first graduates of the program and became a legend. History channel had an interview of the Major who started the program.<P>The program continued albeit low profile until the disastrous Somalia operation. Somalia was the turning point for snipers. Two snipers volunteered and against the wishes of the CO roped down in the hot zone and engaged the rebels and bought time for rescue mission. Both the snipers were killed and awarded the Medal of Honor. Incidentally they were the first snipers in the US armed forces history to have received the Medal of Honor for doing the job of sniper!<P>Anyway, its way off the charter of this discussion group to be discussing the history of US armed forces. As the name suggests, we ought to be discussing more closely to the topic "Snipers of the Indian Army - How good are they?" I am still waiting to hear about the sniper program in the IA.<P>To add another info on the IA special forces, which I heard from the waves in air ;-) There was no special sniper program in the late '80s and early '90s. Most of the special force personnel would be scoring over 80% kill from 100 yards. Guys who can score over 50% from 500 yards were considered gods and used in special positions for special missions. Anybody can corroborate this info?<p>[This message has been edited by chanakya (edited 16-06-2001).]
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

I am not quite sure why Somalia was a "turning point" for snipers?<P>The Delta Force men were denied permission 2 times to rope down and try to save the chopper crew. Finally, reluctantly given permission by the commanding officer on the scene, they roped down and met their destiny. Their wives didn't even know they were Delta Force. These men were the first recipients of the Medal of Honor for a "peace time" mission in the modern history of the USA.<P>A lot of the snipers for the US Army are considered "Special Forces". The US Marines on the other hand, consider snipers to be an intergral part of the infantry team. The snipers did an effective job for the US Marines enforcing a "no weapons" zone in Mogadishu before US forces finally left Somalia. Snipers continue to play an important part in the US military in general. I don't understand turning point?<P>As to India. A good shot is a good shot. There has to be a sniping effort in the Indian Army, probably with Soviet equipment. Anybody that can consistently hit anything out at 500 meters would be considered a sniper in my book. I have NEVER known anyone to shoot a deer beyond 400 meters. It's too difficult. (And probably not a humane thing to try.) - TJ
darshand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by darshand »

by the way if any of u guys want to have a look at guns try <A HREF="http://www.securityarms.com" TARGET=_blank>www.securityarms.com</A> <BR>too bad it doesnt have a description of the guns (maybe a small note or something)<BR>Darshan
Avram S
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Avram S »

I hate to hijack the primary motive of this thread but here is something interesting book: US Marine Corps Scout-Sniper-World War Two and Korea by Peter R. Senich. ISBN 0873647106.<BR>AS