New Artillery Division raised for the Indian Army

Peeyoosh
BRFite -Trainee

Re: New Artillery Division raised for the Indian Army

Post by Peeyoosh »

Yogi/Badar

I guess the crucnh is to whom is the arty brig in a inf division answerable to? In case of a counterbattery fire request conflicting with (say) a fire assualt need, who gets priority - and who makes that decision?

If we can answer that then the structue of the arty division may become clearer.

I doubt we will use the 155s in pennny packets - there are lighter guns for that role.

Yogi

Whats going on in terms of "fire assualts" right now? Gives that the PA has WLR sets and heavier guns does that work in our favour.

Peeyoosh
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Badar I can give you a generic model - people can point out differences specific to the Indian setup.

In conventional operations close support regiments (i.e. gun regiments) within the arty brigade would be assigned to provide fire support to the maneouver brigades, subject of course to anticipated and actual need of task formations.

The commander of the artillery brigade would advise and assist with the div commanders STA and fire support planning, as well as handling logistical issues and deep fires such as MLRS.
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

I guess the crucnh is to whom is the arty brig in a inf division answerable to? In case of a
counterbattery fire request conflicting with (say) a fire assualt need, who gets priority -
and who makes that decision?
Counter battery fire is not an independent mission - any fires plan must take CBF into account. For an illustration of how this played out during the assault on Tololing, please refer to Gaurav Sawant's book. So when the arty bde gets its mission plan, some portion of its assets are assigned right at the begining for CBF. Not doing so would be similar to an AF planning strikes without AD/CAP missions factored in!
Whats going on in terms of "fire assualts" right now? Gives that the PA has WLR sets and
heavier guns does that work in our favour.
Actually IA enjoys a substantial numerical and qualitative superiority as far as arty goes - true, PA does have some heavier guns, but not enough to make a significant difference. So far as the fire assaults go, I am impressed by their destructiveness and accuracy. Right upto the middle of last month, till Mush ne ghutne teke, we read regularly about x bunkers smashed, y ammo depots hit, and so on. Significantly, Pak arty was more often used in air burst mode and resulted in greater Indian civilian casualties. That shows that we have better target acquisition means, and our guns are more accurate. This has been the case since the arty battles pre Kargil - whenever Bofors entered the fray, Paks got thulped.

The typical fire assault began with mortar exchanges, and gradually progressed to gun exchanges. We can only guess at what C2/C3/I assets both sides employed. But I strongly suspect that we may have occassionaly resorted to Krasnopol rounds.