Survey: What got you interested in defense matters?

putnanja
BRF Oldie

Re: Survey: What got you interested in defense matters?

Post by putnanja »

(1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

I want to see India strong and powerful, and our neighhbours are such that they will understand only the dhanda !!

(2) How (or when) did you get interested in defense matters?
Always been interested in defense issues, more so after reading about the indo-pak wars in school.
Alss read lots of "Commando", "battler Britton" comics when young, and have read quite a few novels set in WW2 period. Plus a very close relative worked in a defense PSU, so got to read in-house magazines and got more interested in defense issues.

(3) If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?

India

(4) How do you obtain information on military technology?

Internet, newspapers, BR

(5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?

newspapers and magazines

(6) How do you obtain the websites to get the information?

Google !!!

(7) Is this interest merely a hobby or does it assist you in your profession?

More than a hobby, a passion!!
AnantD
BRFite

Post by AnantD »

(1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

Long family history (2 generations) of having relations to Indian Defence Forces (IA and IAF)

When I saw my Dad get dressed up and go to work in his uniform when I was 3 years old.

(3) If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?

In India.

Internet and books.

(5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?

Newspapers and News

Google and BRF links.

Hobby only
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

Aditya.G - don't worry, at least one person has read your email, and very closely too :)

All your responses inspired me to ask and reask myself the same questions, so here is my story :)

Wars have shaped the world's history. My interest in military affairs is really an extension of my interests in history, politics, and how we interact with each other; especially in large hierarchichal organizations.

Interest in India's affairs is a natural extension of the broader interests, but is especially sharpened by an abiding faith in India's destiny and the factors shaping it.

Probably at a very very early age. I remember the black outs and false air raid alarms in 71 (was 3!); was facinated by AA arty practice in Deolali, have played in a trophy Patton (again in Deolali), heard war stories from retired officers, assaulted firing ranges in PTC Nashik as a 10 year old :)

Was interested in India, but got a quantum leap after getting access to the fantastic libraries in US. By the time BRF rolled along, was a hard bitten WW-II buff. Transfering interest to an Indian situation was a piece of cake! BRF helped immensely.

Google, though I am not generally a tech buff.

Eclectic reading, listening to people who have been there, life experience.

Google, BRF lately.

Purely hobby. Should have been a profession, but that was not to be.
member_4672
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_4672 »

-- Everytime I hear about something in Kashmir or former Khalistan or their various ways to bleed us, I hate our spineless/short-sighted leadership (mostly from the past). For India to have influence commensurate to its size or to keep our North and West neighbours at arm's length, our soldiers and the technology are the keywords :p
-- (a) ENC's Naval parade (Dec 4) parade every year in my home city.
-- (b) stories of PNS ghazi put to its grave.
-- (c) Successful test of Agni in May 1989, I was 10 yrs.

-- Refer above.

-- Back home, it was DDM. Now, samachar & regular visits to BR.

-- Back home, friends in IA/IN. Now gurus on BR forum.

-- Google

-- I got glasses a month before pilot aptitude test; has been a hobby (interest to be precise) since then.
Joeqp
BRFite

Post by Joeqp »

Originally posted by Y I Patel:
I have lots of relatives in uniform. My generation is the 5<SUP>th</SUP> successive generation serving the country. I "bleed OG", as they say!

Since I was 2? :)

While in India.

Main source of information is BR, with a smattering from other sources (like Sainik Samachar, etc.)

BR, mainly. Many posters here are in India, and have good contacts it seems.

The BRF news threads, mainly.

Just a hobby.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Since ancient times, India has been physically invaded by foreign armies. India has since its independence faced an implacable enemy. These experiences have still not aroused sufficient interest in Indian civilians to pay serious attention to security and defense issues. I thought I should make a start at a personal level and educate myself.

In recent years, particularly after Kargil, I have become more aware of the nature and context of security issues.

After going abroad, though the issue of location is largely incidental. See reply to Q.(2).

One source - BR!

Again, discussions on BR.

Links posted on BR!

Hobby.
Arvind
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arvind »

My first post on BRF; but I have been reading BR-monitor for a whole year and visiting BRF for several weeks now after a BRF member incidentally informed me of its existence.
>(1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?
Because war is a primal primate instinct and I am a citizen of India
>(2) How (or when) did you get interested in defense matters?
After reading about the exploits of great Indian warriors like the Rajputs, Lalitaditya, Maharattas, Cholas etc and overhearing an animated conversation by some family members on the Afghan war.
>(3) If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?
It began in India. I briefly lost interest after leaving India. However, the Pokhran tests came along and the interest revived after hearing the anti-India propoganda.
>(4) How do you obtain information on military technology?
For the past several weeks BRF has become The Source
>(5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?
I have no clear understanding of these issues
>(6) How do you obtain the websites to get the information?
The Google/yahoo revolution
>(7) Is this interest merely a hobby or does it assist you in your profession?
More of a detriment to my productivity at work.
George J

Post by George J »

I donno why, I just am. I guess its intrinsic.

I guess it just happened.

Nope it was there even when I was in India.

I found BR on the net via a search engine. If i cant find what i need on BR/BRF then i google.

There is always two faces to a coin. BR gives me the view of the educated elite who do have a jingo streak. I get my view about GOI's decisions from various direct sources when available.

BR/BRF and Google.

Hobby for now, however HICAF has some discussions which can certainly assist me in my profession.....until the threads get RM'ed.
member_4409
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_4409 »

- I am a citizen of India.

- During junior high school years. I was a member of NCC between 8 grade and last year of H.Sc. Alas, my college did not have NCC program.

- While in India.

- BR, News Papers, Magazines, Books and Web Sites.

- Open Sources e.g., BR.

- BR Links, Google/Yahoo and other search engines.

- Just for peace of my mind.
kgoan
BRFite

Post by kgoan »

A general interest in all things political and the nature and utility of power. That soon leads to an interest in such matters. As far as India per se goes, how can any citizen not be interested?

I was always fascinated by politics. Defense/security became more of an issue in my mid/late teens when I used to read various popular magazines like "Gentlemen" and a few others.

In India. But strangely enough, I found it easier to follow such matters from abroad than in India. Says something I suppose. :)

Both.
SK Mody
BRFite

Post by SK Mody »

People who know me often believe that I would be the last person to get involved in anything like defence or warfare. But I do have some interest in them and the reasons follow.

(1)
Brought up in family environment that was culturally Indian. More than 1/2 of total education yrs education spent in Indian schools. Therefore have sense of being Indian. Therefore take pride in Indian technological achievements, abilities etc.

(2)
1987. When Indian Air force came to the rescue with Air drop etc in Sri Lanka. Whether or not the effort was misguided, for the first time I realized that it was possible for India to protect its interests. It really marked a turning point because I felt I didn't have to apologize for being Indian any more.

(3)
See answer to (2)

(4)
I am not exactly an avid reader of Indian defence matters and I'm not very knowledgable - but I am not completely ignorant. Part of the cheering squad perhaps.

(5)
BRF, DDM, some books.

(6)
BRF, keyword searches when thoughts come to mind.

(7)
Hobby.
Prasenjit Medhi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasenjit Medhi »

I like getting on my soapbox and pretend that my views are of consequence :)

From primary school when someone tried to dump a toy dump truck on my head because I was the smallest kid around :)

In India, come from a family of servicemen and service-women.

Atm, only BRF, and newspapers and mags, used to go through Janes etc.

Info on public fora.

??

More than a hobby, not quite my profession.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?
I am an Army Brat.
My family has worn the uniform since the past 5 generations continuously. Family has fought in all major battles India has fought since WW2 to (excluding) Kargil. Also, almost all CI ops .
We are a hardcore Military Family. Heck, I was born in IMA Military Hospital. :)
I have reading the refernce books of defence libraries before I could even understand them properly.
My favourite bedtime story was about Shivaji, which I used to listen to from my father 20 times, every night. :)

3)If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?
I am not an NRI. I have never been out of India.
BTW, does Nepal qualify as a foreign country for an Indian? :D

4)How do you obtain information on military technology?
BR
Links to other sites from BR
Discussions with my father (retired Colonel)
Discussions with relatives and friends still serving
Caution - reading the DDM is injurious to your knowledge base. :p

5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?
Discussions with my father
Discussions on BR

6) How do you obtain the websites to get the information?
Variety of ways.
For defence matters, links from BR are the best.
For all other purposes - Google.

7) Is this interest merely a hobby or does it assist you in your profession?
At present hobby/interest.
But since I plan to join the TA after sometime (to maintain my family tradion of wearing the uniform) , then I guess it may help in my profession also.
At present, the social and economic discussions are the most interesting for me.
kirtisimha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kirtisimha »

Difficult to say why. The defense and security of a nation is closely linked with her progress and I feel every citizen must be interested / involved. I would like to see India develop to become one of the strongest and most prosperous nations.

In 1971 I was 4 when my father was 2IC of an Arty Regiment that had kicked paki ass. Days after the war we were a part of a select few families that visited the newly captured real estate. There was celebration and victory in the entire atmosphere even as the regiment hosted a grand lunch for the families in the middle of a paki sugarcane field that was cleared for this purpose. The cartridge cases of the first rounds fired from the 25 pounders are among the most cherished of my possessions. My family has been predominantly fauji starting from my grandpa who in the 1940's was fighting for the goras against other goras in North Africa.

I am a resient Indian

It has been very unstructured. Before the internet I used to regularly read the USI journal. These days its mainly search engines, mailing lists and through known people. BR has been a great source especially to get the Non-Resident Indians perspective.

Usually get to know only that informtion which is available in public domain.

Search engines, mailing lists, referrals, BR.

A hobby. It is not yet a profession :-). Hope it becomes one soon:-)!