Survey: What got you interested in defense matters?

Y I Patel
BRFite

Survey: What got you interested in defense matters?

Post by Y I Patel »

Hello all. A friend is interested in knowing why y'all got interested in defense matters. This survey will be used as the basis of a publication, so please respond if you are interested. BRF will be cited as a source of the raw data in the article, but individual names and identities (if revealed) will not be mentioned.

Some of the questions will get us thinking, and it will certainly be most interesting to read the responses! It is perfectly acceptable if you only answer questions you are comfortable about. So here we go:

(1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

(2) How (or when) did you get interested in defense matters?

(3) If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?

(4) How do you obtain information on military technology?

(5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?

(6) How do you obtain the websites to get the information?

(7) Is this interest merely a hobby or does it assist you in your profession?

Thanks for your participation!
S Bajwa
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Survey: What got you interested in defense matters?

Post by S Bajwa »

(1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?
--- Though my parents and siblings live in US but lots of my relatives (uncles, aunts and cousins) are in India., and live right up close the border with Pakistan. I have relatives and many friends working in Army,Navy, BSF, Police and Air force.

um.. tough... I guess when I was 5 years old.

(3) If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?
No.. My defense matters were already developed while I was in India.

Internet, magazines, books.

(5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?
Media (newspapers, ZeeTV, Internet), experiences of my friends and relatives.

I only visit www.bharat-rakshak.com .

Just hobby.
rudy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rudy »

We ve got a shot as a nation after a 1000 years. I want to make sure that we make our tryst with destiny.

15yrs

India

BR,FAS,GlobalSecurity,Jane's

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle

Hobby
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Saw a few war veterans. Got moved. Kargil was a wake up call. </font>

Father worked for the Ministry of Defence. Had told me about the 1971 war from my childhood. Daily contact with defence people while young. </font>

In India, but resources avaliable in the US made my interest grow bigger.</font>

1. Websites - BR, Tank Net, ACIG
etc.

2. Jane's from the library

3. Magazines -> browsing at book stores and borrowing from friends. </font>

Have no knowledge. Just listen to the words of wisdom from BR gurus. </font>

Time, Time, Time :D </font>

A hobby </font>

Leonard
BRFite

Post by Leonard »

1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

Appreciation of the Sacrifices, by Men & Women of the Armed Forces.

Overcoming the propoganda, that is put forth by many Govt's, "Subject matter experts", "South Asia Security Analysts", Forums, etc.

1999 & Kargil

Abroad, due to greater availability of Resources/Media.

BR, Google, Teoma, Janes, etc.

Reading, various news articles/books, whether on BR or Samachar, or opeds by informed writers, like BC, Raman, etc.

Thru searches via Google, Teoma, Sulekha, rediff, SAAG, Samachar, etc.

(7) Is this interest merely a hobby or does it
assist you in your profession?

hobby
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

--India was the wealthiest nation in the world. Look what a weak/disorganized defense has done to us. Enough said.

--At 5 I began building and flying my own cardboard planes. That started it. But as I grew older I found out more about India and then the real reason for the continued interest was formed.

--Before I came to the US.

--BR, www sites, and reading at bookstores.

--BR

--google

hobby.

Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Want to see India assert herself and become a superpower. I strong believe that we will become one. I feel that defence and security are important in that regard.

I got interested when i was 8-9 years old. My grandfather was in IA during WW-2 and was posted in Burma. He instilled the interest when i was a kid and made me read about the acquisition of M2Ks, the Bofors issue, IPKF and the Maldives Operations, Punjab militancy.

In India, but lost it in between due to studies and work. Frequent access to the internet now and BR has rekindled the interest in me.

BR, Samachar and SAAG, before which I had to rely on DDM and Janes.

Have no knowledge.

I just lurk in BRF.

A hobby
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

*** Multiple reasons.

Primarily, as the saying goes, jiski laathi uski bhains! Knowing the strength of your lathi is very important if you want the bhains and more importantly if you it to understand bhagwat.

Secondary, I am very interested in how defense related R&D cab be used to positively affect a common man life by the way of technology spin-offs. The role armed forces play within Indian society and what motivates Indians to die for their country.

*** A little bit in India when I use to see exhibitions but mostly after the emergence of the Internet which allowed me access to information which was a constraining factor earlier since I don't come from a mod or military background.

*** see (2)

*** Jai BR!! And a few other sites like Jane, SIPRI, [army/navy/airforce]-technology.com, .mil, etc

*** Limited reading and discussion on BR.

*** From BR and google.

*** Primarily a hobby but as a technology manager I get to study the spin-offs to my advantage in my day to day activities.
Yogeshwar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Yogeshwar »

Motherland India

Since 71 war. 1st war when I existed.

INDIA

BR, not much interest in searching elswhere.

News, policy papers worldwide.

google and mostly BR contributons from other fellow RAKSHAKS.

no hobby no profession..... PURELY PASSION
Ashutosh
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh »

For fun, comparing techonolgoy wise. I am proud of Lohegaon AFB, since it houses India's might (Mig-29, Jag IM, Su-30M, and now Su-30MKI).

I wanted to fly ... at the age of 11, in grade 5, one Hindi language question paper asked "what do you wanna be when you grow up" - pat came the answer - I wanna become a fighter pilot. Also those gleaming birds roaring over Pune skies made it even more exciting.

In India.

Google, BR, Janes, AFM, Flight International, MoD releases.

I have no knowledge. And GoI doesn't take decisions. (Did someone mention AJT? ;) )

I use a browser ;)

Hobby, since I blew my chance just before I almost made it to the IAF.
Sunder
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sunder »

(1) A fan of Chanakya as a child. Reading the Arthashastra got me hooked to interest in Defense and Covert operations.

(2) Since mid 90's. This was intensified manyfold due to Kargil.

(3) 20% while in India. 80% after that.

(4) BRF, FAS, www.searchmil.com . Tom Clancy non-fiction and other magazines.

(5) Not much knowledge about administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces.

(6) Google, BRF.

(7) Hobby.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Want to know how much is India developing technologically

Newspaper articles on ALH, LCA, PSLV got me interested while I was in India.

India

Newapapers. Now BR is a one stop source for much of my info.

Newspapers, BR.

I don't go out of my way looking for info, except follow some links from BR.

hobby.
Imtiaz Ahmed
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Imtiaz Ahmed »

YIP, here is to yet another pub :-)

Defence/Security is so important. Curiousity because I have never been inside it. Fascination for the world's second oldest profession.

When I was 10, a guy in the neighborhood got into Artillery. The guy was considered a good boy by all elders in the colony. Many friends' dads, and my own uncle served in the armed forces. As a kid, combat held a lot of fascination for me.

Tried NDA, got thru all tests except the medical test. Have classmates in the armed forces.

In India.

Bharat-Rakshak.com

Press and Bharat-Rakshak.com. Some knowledge of how the bureaucracy works (dad was a bureaucrat), and have lived enough in Delhi to know some basic things to enable reality checks.

??? Get them via Bharat.Rakshak.com

I wish it assisted me in my profession :-).

YIP, let me know if the reviewer needs more elaborate responses.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I am fascinated military aircraft, guns and other symbols of lethal power. India? Well - I believe that physical strength/military strength in an important aspect of economic growth and stability

1962, at age 7, was given a copy of Observer's Book of Aircraft (which I still have) by an IAF fighter pilot - and I was hooked.

1960s and 70s: newspaper. magazines incl Illustrated Weekly, Time, Life, Observer's books

1980s:, early 90s: Paper, TV, Aviation mag subscription

After late 90s: Internet (BR), paper, mags, TV, subscription

eh?
Mostly TV/papers/BR I guess. BRF is an incomparable collectted source of news.

Triplicate application form submisted to Paki embassy. No NO - mostly BR

Hobby - but an all consuming one.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

one of areas I have knowledge in...not much idea
on economic policies which is other great challenge facing nation. I think security and stable economic policies are top two issues for india.

as a child father took me to railway station, garage, airport to watch the machinery..bought me books on these topics. I pestered for more books when I stood first in half-yearly and final exams. so I gathered lot of books ..then came into BR in 1997. been around ever since.

I was interested from childhood and joined BR in
1997 when working in delhi.

web searches, reading aviation mags, acig, tanknet, keymags, army/navy/af technology.com, FAS, milparade...

newspaper, what I hear on BR , magazines, reading between lines to connect dots, reports of similar stuff by other govts, moves by indias enemies.

google, plus the ones mentioned above are well known. BR members post lot of links.

a hobby. however modern weapons system represent the most demanding end-user of embedded sw which is my profession..so theres a lot to learn esp about distributed fault-tolerant systems.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

It started with answer for (2) and finding very few Indians in them.

Started reading Commando Comics at age 10 or 12

DNA

Read websites, talk to Serving and retired personnel.

About GoI - Nil About Armed Forces - contacts

Google

Hobby

I should say YIP, very interesting thread.
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Normally I would see this with suspicion but since this comes from Yogi....

(1) Why are you interested in efense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

Shouldn't I be ? How can I not be ? Every Indian should be not only interested but also concerned about the defence & security issues when India is in the picture. It is as important as casting vote.

I was always interested in machines due to my father's profession. When in school, I used to watch NCC cadets. Then I saw aero-modelling and read Nehru Trust's books on Armed Forces.....and I stayed with the topic since then.

Internet, library when abroad.

Several sources - Bharat Rakshak, FAS, MilParade, so many forums on the net, Janes, Rand etc.

Bharat Rakshak, press, official govt. annoucements

Defence websites are like ants and stars. When you spot one, more are sure to appear.

Does not help me with my profession but as I said in (1) it is more than a hobby....it is a must!

Post by Guest »

The *dignity* of the people of a country is closely tied to the country's being able to protect its interests and project power. The sovereignty of our nation has been violated several times in the past, and we must not let it happen again.

In my second year of undergrad studies, when I saw the motto "Nabha Sparsham Deeptham" displayed prominently in a friend's room and asked him why it was there. That was also about the time when Kargil happened.

Outside India.

Browsing the Internet.

Sources on the Internet like BR. Sometimes I visit the relevant ministry's website.

Google!

Right now, it's more of a hobby. However, I am doing my masters study in Robotics and Control engineering, and fighting machines fascinate me. I hope to pursue a career in a defense-related area someday.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

A question of my own if you don't mind: Who is interested in this information?

Can the thread originator contact admins@bharat-rakshak.com with a little more detail please. Thanx.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

They are interesting issues and when they relate to India, they are important.

Have always lived amongst defence people. Schools were always in Cantt. areas (or Navy Nagar in Bombay) with lunch breaks spent talking about the ski jump on the then new Viraat or the Vikram (a Coast Guard ship) or the Mirage 2000.... Spent summer holidays in Air Force stations around the country. Close friends went into the services including one who got killed in action in Kargil. Relatives who served and are still serving.

Kargil was a turning point - with a sense of loss (personal as well as in a broader sense) and at the same time that of pride in the armed forces, the country and its people in general being aroused. I can still remember the sinking feeling I had in my stomach when I first heard the news of Sqn. Ldr. Ahuja being shot down. And the elation when I saw Capt. Vikram Batra saying 'Yeh Dil Maange More'. And again the sense of loss when I heard that he had died. And the sense of pride when it ended favorably for the country. My consciousness level about security issues and the country in general has gone up several notches because of Kargil.

In India, though the available resources have multiplied several times since coming out of India.

BR. Internet, newspapers, books.

None except what is in the public domain.

BRF + google.

Hobby.
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

Thank you all for your responses so far, and for trusting me and the user of this survey!

The suggestion of initiating a survey on BRF was mine, since I think this way the author will get a sound survey of the "converted". The other, equally important reason for involving BRF is that if the article does get accepted, the central role played by BRF in the survey will result in excellent publicity for BR among an impressive cross section of the Indian Army in particular.

The author of the intended article is a postor over here, but was hesitant to ask what appear to be somewhat personal questions. Hence he requested me, as an old and known quantity, if I could start the thread. Knowing the intended end use, I agreed.

The intended use of this thread is to provide some raw data for an article to be submitted to Pinnacle, the journal of ARTRAC. That's Army Training Command, located at Shimla. The title of the intended article is "Involvement of Non-Uniformed Citizenry in the Affairs of the Armded Forces of India". Obviously, a very central theme to the article is exploring how an ordinary citizen gets interested in the affairs of the armed forces. The questions of the survey are intended to tease out some of the motivating factors.

While you all have shown tremendous trust so far, I hope this explanation serves to reassure you that no abuse of your personal privacy, or of BRF posting privileges, is intended in asking these questions.
v_john
BRFite -Trainee

Post by v_john »

Dad worked in DRDO in the 70s, Relatives in all armed forces, Kargil

High school

India

Internet

Any and all media, esp- the Internet

BR, Google search, and before I discovered BR, Frontline

Hobby. Though I bought Microsoft Flight Simulator for bro-in-law (a navy flier) to help him relax. It may assist him in his profession.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

>> Since prosperity is always linked to security, and Indian and Indians(my) prosperity depended on security of India. Also initially it is kind of macho and kool to know about this stuff and as a kid i was very facinated by learning that India won the 1971 war.

>> Dad got me some army toys like motorcycles, aircraft, some armymen. One Uncle worked on vikrant and many others in DRDO. And many many people i met in India and in US who worked in the armed forces. Some very juicy stories from them.

>> While in India

>> BR, Mostly by talking to the people

>> Samachar, BRF, talking to people, Internet

>> BRF

A very time and mind consuming hobby
debjani
BRFite

Post by debjani »

YIP is kind to me. I required info so that I could awaken the military to the tremendous enthusiasm I see on this forum and what is more that I personally have learned a lot from the posts.
The magazine and therefore the army is keen on involving the non uniformed educated in defence. Therefore, I wanted authenticity and not merely writing english.
I orginated a post on the subject but the response was of NCC etc. What I wanted was how can we involve the non uniformed class, apart igniting interest through the NCC etc which too play a important role, into defence matters.
Wars cannot be fought only by the general/ politicians/ bureaucrats. Each is limited by his specialisation. How can we involve all those, including the common folks and specialists in economicas, social sciences et al into taking defence matters seriously [and not emotionally] and the country evolve plans that really does good for the country. For instance, defence acquistions would ask for the moon. But given the other priorities will that be possible? If folks with dpecialisation in their fields get together, then maybe a semblance of balance between security and progress of the nation can be kept in mind and a plan could be made and pursued unlike the knee jerk actions we see.
I am confident that folks who are conversant with defence matters and can be trained to have an insight into it can contribute immensely in keeping things even keel.
JE Menon, I hope that answers you query.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It may not be clear from Ray's post - but he is in a position to contribute to something that is read by a section of the armed forces, and has been fascinated by the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm shown by BRF members. This is a backhanded compliment to you guys, so please return the favor and answer the queries.

It's not the NSA after you.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I am a citizen.

No idea how, but it happened sometime when I was a kid. I have been interested in this stuff as long as I can remember.

My interest was very superficial till that mess in Sri Lanka. Before that it was all "F-xyz, and Mig-ABC: platform comparison" and rubbish like that. The mess in SL made me look at things in a more detailed fashion.

I had read about WWI & II, and the cold war, but that was quite distant and it wasn't that interesting. SL was a far more instructive experience.

Access to a better network has enhanced my readings of issues. In India I was confined to the DDM and random snippets of conversations I was able to over hear from older people.

In the last few years after coming to BR, my readings on the subcontinent have grown considerably. The BRM has expanding my readings to cover almost all aspects of strategic study. I know it is not enough but it is a start.

Mostly through search engines, there are also publications that are available online. cross checking ensure credibility.

no basis, all of it is guesswork. Having lived among these people all my life i just have a feel for things. Most of my ideas are on a what would I do level.

search engines.

Hobby, perhaps more like an addiction, i have a day job, one that I intend to stick to if this addiction doesn't get me first.
Nate
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nate »

The recent Kargil conflict and what I had heard from a friend who had gone to Kashmir valley in 1989 on business (was chilling to the bone to hear him describe the chants of "Pukistan Z...bad")

1989 was a watershed year in terms of interest in defense matters - was in college, had been in NCC (Air wing)for 1 year and got to know a few basic things in the IAF.

Had an interest while in India but did not have the access to means such as nice websites/chat forums to get more information. After seeing the US Naval base at Hampton (Norfolk), VA in 1993 developed an interest in finding out about Indian Navy.

Websites of the armed forces of countries, BR, Newssites.

Currently BR and news sites both Indian and US. Was newspapers and hearsay (friend of a friend -foof) while in India

Google, other search engines, newspapers which cite sources (rare)..

Hobby.
sujitb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sujitb »

Interested in a political craeer in India. Defence is naturally a big part.

Always interested in politics and national security. Got mre involved in understanding defence issues after Kargil.

30%India. 70% abroad (because most of my time in India was spent studying. Now I have the time to plan my career and spend more time developing my interest)

BR posts.

Have some inside info but mostly reading viewpoints and thinking in their shoes.

BR posts.

A hobby, hopefully will help me when I do become a politician.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

1) Answer: Because, I am good at whine and dine issues. :) . Seriously I have a lot of close family members who are in IA/IN , MES, Defense Accounts. Myself selected to IN in 1977 Dec (UES) thru 33 SSB at Bhopal was not interested in Permanent Commission, was looking for SSC. But this was 25 yrs Bond IIRC.

Watching IAF demonstration near Back Bay recalamtion Bombay in (IIRC) 1961 standing on top of Dodge 3 Tonne IA/MES truck. The vampires were cool in demolishing the targets set in Arabian Sea with rockets.

In addition listening to the cousins in 1962/63 who joined in EME as Emergency Commisioned officers who saw action in 1965 war. Ofcourse watching movies like "Guns Of Navorone",
"Squadron 633", "The great Escape", "sink The Bismarck" "Those Magneficient Men in their flying Machines" etc. The glamorus life of my cousins and Saturday Morning Jam sessions in Clubs ofcourse the Ladies who would just want to party with uniformed guys.. all that romantic notions..

See above.

One had to be good at knowing Cars, Motor Cycles, Trucks, Trains, the Armed forces equipment... Look all these were part of GK (general Knowledge) to be accepted as Smart and having OLQ.

So read up in News Papers, listen to BBC, VOA, Radio Moscow, Radio Natherlands etc. Time, News week (much later) Life, National Geographic, Blitz, Current, also indulge in forbidden 'Mother India' magazine (of Babu Rao patil) as many resourcess. Oh most importantly read Classic comics with stories based on WW II. During Vietnam times, there used to be a christain propaganda mag called 'Plain Truth' (anybody know this, no, then its free hand for me :) )

My Father and uncles who were in MOD. I have been close witness to the development Bidar Air port, Hakimpet, DRDO/DMRL, GE Golconda DGNP vizag, DGNP Bombay (very vaguely period 1959/1962 era).

By Wasting a lot of time doing search.

Actually it is a impediment for my professional development. Many a time I curse my self for being addicted to BRF but I just dont want to loose my hard earned title of Sir "Whine-a-lot" title. :) or as Sunil says Whine Raja some funny G bestowed me even OCD.

I think I should omit some details to keep the interest in the sequels of my whine. Yes there is more to come :)
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I am interested in security of India as my Parents, brothers, other family members and friends live in India.

Always interested in national security issues. Got more involved in understanding defence issues after Pokhran-II

Eventhough I was interested there is no easy means to get the knowledge when I was in India and hence I learnt mostly after coming abroad.

BR and BRF

From news papers and BR forum

BR and search sites like Google.

A hobby
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Tx for the response, YIP & Ray.

Now:

>>(1) Why are you interested in defense/security issues, especially those relating to India?

I'm Indian.

>>(2) How (or when) did you get interested in defense matters?

Have been vaguely interested ever since I can remember, but a certain clarity began to emerge in the 1980s - perhaps related to developments in Punjab/Kashmir.

>>(3) If you are an Indian expatriate, did you develop your interest in defense matters while in India, or after going abroad?

In India & intensified abroad.

>>(4) How do you obtain information on military technology?

Books & Net (BR & others).

>>(5) What is the basis of your knowledge of the administrative decisions taken by the GoI or the armed forces?

Books & Net (BR & others).

Google + Net references (via BR & others).

Its more than a hobby. But it has nothing to do with my profession.
Ashutosh
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh »

As an addendum to my post above, I must add that my interest in defence matters was largely driven by personal interest than influence of others. To highlight the fact are some of other possible influences that weren't:

1) One uncle was in Maratha Light Infantry, he fought in 1947-48 and 1962.
2) Another uncle too was in Maratha Light Infantry, he fought in 1965 and 1971. (no longer lives)
3) A cousin is currently serving in the Bombay Engineering Group. He was part of post-BlueStar, and interestingly served in VVIP security blanket. God knows how that happened.
4) Dad was in NCC Air Force wing, and just made it for the IAF commission, when the day he was supposed to report for service, he got a virus, dashing his hopes forever.

All this wasn't enough to drive my enthusiasm to join the Army.

About my interests:
1) I was in the 3rd Maharashtra Armoured Squadron (coz there was no Air Wing offered in my school), and it was somehow connected to the Mechanised Infantry Regimental Center in Ahmednagar. We got quite a lot of detailed information about the T-72s and Vijayantas that were brought in the camp.
2) I remember our Commanding Officer asked the entire contingent of 40 one single question: "how many of you want to join the IA/IAF/IN" - we counted and found there were 63 hands raised (geniuses like myself had both hands raised :) ).
3) Cleared the NDA entrance for entry to IAF. Was called for SSB interview, and just 4 days before the interview I was informed by a serving IN officer that no-one gets a BE (Engineering, 4 years) degree in NDA, the most you get is a B.SC (diploma, 3 years). That was it. I didn't go.

I can't remember the number of times I've stepped into cowdung or over a cat looking at those Mig-29s and Su-30s whizz by over the skies of Pune ...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Ashutosh:

I can't remember the number of times I've stepped into cowdung or over a cat looking at those Mig-29s and Su-30s whizz by over the skies of Pune ...
Likewise I can't recall the number of times I've stepped on dung produced by the uncles/aunts/parents /grandparents of your cattle while I watched Liberators, Super Connies, Vampires, Canberras and later MiG 21s in Pune.

Quite apart from this Pune was instrumental in developing my interest in the armed forces. The large army areas to the West of the Mula (or is it Mutha)Bridge near Kirkee (Khadki) had no high wall like nowadays but had barbed wire beyond which I could se rows upon rows of Sherman and other tanks - mostly in junk condition.

The Khadki and Dapodi stations, on the way from Pimpri/Chinchwad to Pune used to get clogged with tanks and army trucks if there was trouble at the border - as there was in 1965, 71 and once in between - possible 67. Rows of railway carriages loaded with Centurions and Vijayantas could be seen.

I wish the Army would become more open and put on display tanks, artillery and guns where "boys" can see them. The Air Force is INHERENTLY visible. The Army needs to do more. These things are exciting for most boys.

Post by Guest »

I'm Indian, and my family lives there. Furthermore, I would like to see India develop and a strong defence will lead to a strong India, hopefully! :)

My grandpa worked at HAL on Mig components. My mom translated french to english and vice-verca>>A.K.A worked on a few technical docs for HAL during ,I guess :D

news websites.

browsing around, sometimes by luck, sometimes by sheeeeeeeeer luck, but most of the time, from BR!

I don't have a profession yet ;)
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

This post required a lot of effort, so please read it!
Its my duty
I knew balls abt the military till 2000. Mig-something...tank...gun..republic day..agni..prithvi and all that at max. Unlike many others here, it was not Kargil that woke me up - though used read all articles I could find and try to see the daily news conference.

In September 1999 I got a net connection at home (I had a PC since March'97 my knowledge of the net was restricted to that there is a Yahoo.com or something and that we can send mail over the net). I pursued other things on the net when the first LCA flight (January 2001) happened - that was perhaps what really motivated me to find out what the LCA was, and perhaps one of my first hits at BR - saw Hormud Mama's "LCA Update". At that time I thought "Bharat Rakshak" was a ridiculous name for a website and it should have been something more catchy :)

I then got into military technology, mostly air force, even at that time I knew balls about the armed forces of india. About that time, while looking for info on the Tu-144, i came across an Indian(at Harvard) student's site which had a pic of a Su-27 Flanker - his favorite plane. That pic is still my favorite till date. Soon I realised that IAF too operated the flanker!!! :D (8) What is your opinion of other BRFites/BRTeam[/quote]respect and many times amazement at their knowledge and experiences
daulat
BRFite

Post by daulat »

The Air Force is INHERENTLY visible. The Army needs to do more. These things are exciting for most boys.

i tried to go see the Su30's at Lohegaon once... was intercepted by a woman IAF police Flying Officer, she was very polite but was casually letting me be aware of her pistol as she asked me to move on

now that would also be pretty exciting for a lot of boys! ;)
Aditi Parikh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditi Parikh »

Because I am an Indian and am interested in a variety of issues which impact India, including security.

Fairly recently - after registering at BR. I reached BR while browsing India-centric sites on a dull work day and the forum discussions perked up my interests on defense matters.

Abroad and that too, fairly recently, as I mentioned above.

Primarily through BR.

None except what I read on BR and newspapers.

Through BR.

It is still an interest which I am trying to cultivate into a hobby by reading and understanding more and more.
Ashutosh
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh »

Originally posted by shiv:
Likewise I can't recall the number of times I've stepped on dung produced by the uncles/aunts/parents /grandparents of your cattle while I watched Liberators, Super Connies, Vampires, Canberras and later MiG 21s in Pune.

Quite apart from this Pune was instrumental in developing my interest in the armed forces. The large army areas to the West of the Mula (or is it Mutha)Bridge near Kirkee (Khadki) had no high wall like nowadays but had barbed wire beyond which I could se rows upon rows of Sherman and other tanks - mostly in junk condition.

The Khadki and Dapodi stations, on the way from Pimpri/Chinchwad to Pune used to get clogged with tanks and army trucks if there was trouble at the border - as there was in 1965, 71 and once in between - possible 67. Rows of railway carriages loaded with Centurions and Vijayantas could be seen.

I wish the Army would become more open and put on display tanks, artillery and guns where "boys" can see them. The Air Force is INHERENTLY visible. The Army needs to do more. These things are exciting for most boys.
Yeah ... but although the Army stuff is not on "display", one trip to Dehu cantonment on the way to Alandi between 10AM and 12PM should do the trick. I was once going to VSNL, and found this T-55 "rumbling" along the tank track, while a bullock cart was "tumbling" down on the other :) Also, a visit to the Railway station should also be of goof help. I remember in '99 (Kargil war), an entire track had a seemingly never-ending train carrying T-55s and T-72s wrapped under tarapulin ... I guess ready to hit Jaisalmer ...

The T-54/T-55s in Saras Baug and Deccan Gymkhana (the leftovers from Longewalla?) aroused a lot of interest ... but they smelled like sh*t ... so I never attempted to go inside them again ...

Nice to know you lived in Pune ...
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Interaction with servicemen firmed an interest which began with reading commando comics,"battler briton","Sgt.Rock".This led to serious ineterest in the "real stuff" re: WW2....

My interest in Indian security issues:

..Am a curious bloke who was frankly fed up of reading about the RAF,USAF and wanted more on the IAF.Ditto for the IA.School was full of army kids and "army day" was a chance to see Vijayanta's and T72's. :)

Too long back to remember.Always been a bit bloodthirsty and devoured the battle scenes in the Mahabharata when i was in the third standard.

India.

Internet,News accounts,Magazines,conversations with retd/serving military personnel.

Reading up on similar (non)decisions and insight provided by family members who have dealt with such administrative decisions in various areas. :)

Regards,
Nitin
saint
BRFite

Post by saint »

son of IAF.

since childhood

see ans: 2

web, magz and here.

discussion in BR + see ans: 6.

do search.

hobby.