LCA is Named Tejas!!!

rrnsss1711
BRFite -Trainee

Re: LCA is Named Tejas!!!

Post by rrnsss1711 »

It warms my heart to see the three of them together. Like three brothers. I cant wait to see huge squadrons of LCA and MCA armed to their teeth marauding the asian skies. *Brings tears to my eyes* :)
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

Originally posted by Vick:
A distictive visual difference b/w the PV and the TDs is that the PV has additional equipment in the vertical tail plane, near the top.
That would be the Tarang radar warning receiver.
Prateek
BRFite

Post by Prateek »

Of the new one's #2 is very nice. In the Pic #4, which is the 3'rd plane ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jagan,

Do you know if Sanjay needs s side-kick?
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Question: Will PV-1 go through weaps integration and eventually be put into regular sqdn service?
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

doubt any PVs will reach active squadrons. trend
is to just retire them or keep as testbeds.
rrnsss1711
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rrnsss1711 »

what is the use of those mock up missiles on TD1 and TD2 . Is it just cosmetic or does it have any purpose?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Originally posted by RamachandranSS:
what is the use of those mock up missiles on TD1 and TD2 . Is it just cosmetic or does it have any purpose?
As close to realism as possible.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

Boss kabe 100 MPH jate huay car ka sunroof may say mundi latkaya kya?

Imagine the same at 600 MPH, at least the hard points are being tested for static and dynamic stress.
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SRay »

I've been meaning to ask... what typically is that stuff on top of the tail? The Rafale seems to have quite a bit of equipment up there too... The F-15 as well.
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

Aur ek baar boss saabji Simhahji Thank you saar!!

Hey last (cockpit open) pic is beyond cool. Everything is so shiny!
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

In addition to the realism of drag etc. the mock up armaments house the sensor recorders also.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

Another theory that I've heard before is wing vibration/flutter damping.
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

Originally posted by John Umrao:
Speaking from experience I pressume :p
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

The PV1 (KH2003) in Tejas01 looks cool.

I want to give Tejas a nickname -- "PakiKiller" or "KillPak" :cool:
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

the tail houses radio antennas, ECM antennas, RWR,
IR missile plume detector (?) and someday a towed-decoy.

btw Tejas has already flown its first combat mission. KabirT scored a direct hit on AFM forum.
Harry and others added their share and as dusk was
falling I sneaked in and got my kicks in :D

indian aerospace which used to be 'dismissed' 5 yrs
ago has gained lot of 'respect/good vibes' now.

Post by Guest »

[quote]Originally posted by RajeevT:
The PV1 (KH2003) in Tejas01 looks cool.

I want to give Tejas a nickname -- "PakiKiller" or "KillPak" :p

Sridhar & Yours Truly jointly hold the © on that! :cool:
Nandai
BRFite

Post by Nandai »

Rudra, are you sure the tail will house the towed decoy, most other fighters have such decoys installed in the wingtips.
abhinav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinav »

Hi,

This is my forst post.
I have tried to draw and paint a sideline view of PV-2 of Tejas.I am in the process of 'trying' to do a full 3-view picture, in different current and potential camouflage schemes; as suggested by some of the members.
I would appreciate any feedback on improvements or suggestions.I hope the link works.
http://www.geocities.com/bigkabina/

regards
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Great pitures Simhaji!
chaitanya
BRFite

Post by chaitanya »

dito for me too!
i love the picture of the 3 together - it shows how far the project has progressed. i went insane (well nearly) at the sight of KH2003 :)
Ashutosh
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh »

Abhinav, try not to use GIF; but JPG, PNG and XPM are preferred. GIF has patent issues. Otherwise nice drawing.
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

I agree Nandai based on what Typhoon does. wonder
where the B1 stows its decoy - used over serbia
extensively. the heat from engine might melt the
wire.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Vick:

Also, shiv, would you be willing to take requests for putting up larger versions of those pics?
Vick that is Sanjay Simha's prerogative - he is enthusiastic and goes places - but tends to find that his best pics appear in the most expensive aviation glossies without his permission, so he is understandably touchy about full size graphics.
abhinav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinav »

Thank You for the feedback Ashutosh! I used 'Paint' software found under accsseroies in Windows 95 on my Pc.Then, i saved the drawing on different formats on my desktop.(eg: bitman, jpeg, etc)however, yahoo doesnt let me upload the drawing in any other format except 'gif', hence my usage of this format! i do not have any other webspasce to post my drawings.
Does the patent still apply in my case?

Regards.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Since there've been discussion about towed decoys on Tejas, here's a good summary of Western current/planned towed decoys and some of the issues/usages:

Aviation Week & Space Technology: Afghan Operations Underscore Value of Avionics Arsenal
Off-board towed RF (Radio Frequency) decoys have been a continuing success story since their use during Operation Allied Force in Kosovo. Raytheon's AN/ALE-50 "repeater" decoy served on B-1B bombers, and was credited with saving several aircraft. The AN/ALE-50 today also serves on F-16s and Super Hornets, and is planned for C-130s, A-10s, and other aircraft. Its self-contained nature makes this a superb system for retrofit, and more than 10,000 disposable decoys have already been manufactured.

Other decoys include BAE Systems' Ariel retractable towed decoy, the most successful U.K. system in service, and the only decoy other than the ALE-50 to see combat. It has been flying on U.K. Nimrod MPAs since 1990, and a second-generation system was deployed on Tornados in Bosnia. A new version, the Towed Radar Decoy (TRD), will be standard equipment on the Eurofighter. BAE Systems also has teamed with Dassault Electronique to develop the towed decoy for the Mirage 2000 and Dassault Rafale. Additionally, EADS, with others, has developed the Sky Buzzer, a fiber-optic towed decoy for German Tornados and large multiengine aircraft. Finally, Sweden's Saab has developed the BO2D for the JAS 39 Gripen and Viggen.

BAE Systems' next-generation AN/ALE-55 Fiber-Optic Towed Decoy (FOTD), developed for the IDECM program, was originally planned to supplant the AN/ALE-50 on many platforms, but delayed development has put this in question. Raytheon is also working on a FOTD and a high-power FOTD, to protect aircraft with radar cross-sections that are greater than fighters. Raytheon and Alloy Surfaces in Chester, Pa., have also been developing pyrophoric flares dispensed from towed decoys to counter IR-guided missiles. This program may be replaced with flares dispensed from a pod instead, however.

While today's plans indicate towed decoys may become almost as common as chaff-and-flare dispensers are now, they are still an imperfect solution. Anything towed from a fighter has a serious impact on its flight envelope</font>, and AN/ALE-55 FOTD tow-line problems are still being dealt with on the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. An alternative, however, such as the Cross-Eye from Italy's Elletronica SpA, could provide the same decoy spoofing without physically towing a decoy.</font> Cross-Eye has two antennas mounted, for example, on the wingtips of a fighter. The emission of a modified radar echo from Cross-Eye returns a "wavefront distortion" to the search radar, typically a Surface-to-Air Missile [SAM] tracking radar. The "distorted wavefront" provides incorrect directional information, causing the SAM to miss. If it works as advertised, this approach offers a more elegant and simpler solution by providing an electronically displaced electronic radar echo, rather than a physically displaced one.

But decoys will only supplement, not replace, RF jammers. A major program for the U.S. is IDECM (Integrated Defensive Electronic Countermeasures), BAE Systems' integrated ECM suite for the F/A-18E/F. The U.S. Air Force is developing IDECM for the F-15C/E and B-1B (maybe), and the Navy may buy the associated AN/ALE-55 FOTD for the F/A-18C/D as well. With U.S. procurement of the AN/ALQ-165 ASPJ (Airborne Self-Protection Jammer) canceled, a generation of ECM has been skipped and the U.S. cannot afford to let IDECM slide too much. On the other hand, the successors to IDECM are already under development. The F-22 and JSF will both have integrated EW suites, which will emphasize stealth instead of the active jamming of IDECM.
Typhoon towed designers had to "heat-shield" the optical fiber tow-line of their retractable towed decoy (even when it's being launched from the wing-tips). This is because when a plane does evasive manuevers the tow-line could pass directly behind the engines.

F-18E/F has (in the current version) its 3 towed-decoys launched from almost directly under the engines right behind the center plyon!

So "heat-shielding" is something you can't get away with.
Ashutosh
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh »

Abhinav, I am not sure if you are not allowed to upload non-GIF pics, for eg, this is a JPG pic I've uploaded to mine.

The patents apply the moment you save it in GIF format. I am not aware if lawsuits have been filed for use of GIFs, however it is best to stay away from that format. And about windoze graphics programs, I am pretty clueless.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Originally posted by shiv:
Vick that is Sanjay Simha's prerogative - he is enthusiastic and goes places - but tends to find that his best pics appear in the most expensive aviation glossies without his permission, so he is understandably touchy about full size graphics.
Thanks for the clarification. Too bad, the two vixens taking off pic would have been wicked as my wallpaper. C'est la vie, pardon my French. Thanks for all your efforts in letting us enjoy the pics and the movies. And thank you Sanjay! Are you sure you don't need a couple of sidekicks?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by abhinav:
Hi,
I have tried to draw and paint a sideline view of PV-2 of Tejas.
http://www.geocities.com/bigkabina/

regards
I could not see a thing.

Geocities requires a html index page and does not allow direct linking of graphics.
abhinav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinav »

Hi Shiv.

I just tried the link, and it seemas to be working.
However, acting on your advice, i will try to make an index page, and link the picture.
at the moment, the picture IS mu index page!!!

regards
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Good job, Abhinav. Since you are calling it PV2, it should say 'KH2003' on the plane.

Shiv/cybaru: if you cannot open the link, open a new browser window (not the one which opens when you click on the link) and physically cut and paste the address. There is something weird with geocities but it works this way. Incidentally, the link is directly opening for me.
member_5303
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_5303 »

Originally posted by Nikhil Shah:
Originally posted by John Umrao:
Speaking from experience I pressume :p
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

I can't see anything myself..
S_RAY
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S_RAY »

Originally posted by cy_baru:
I can't see anything myself..
It's a big picture. You need to use the scroll bar to look across once the page loads (says 'Done' down the bottom).
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SRay »

Until Abhinav fixes the page... for those of you who are still having difficulties:

try right clicking on the link and saving the target page locally -- be sure to rename it with a .gif extension.

Should open up locally then.

Quick question abhinav: the picture shows KH2002 on the aircraft body - isn't that one of the TDs?
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

No I mean .. I get Gif87a and unreadeable characters..
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

It's blatanly unfair that SS gets to shoot such mind-blowing pics (and not me). :)

[added later]
Okay, I now have a lo-res enlarged wallpaper of the two birds taking off. I will display it as-is on my desktop proudly if I can't get the hi-res. Sanjay, you sure you don't want to watermark a hi-res photo for a wallpaper ?

Post by Guest »

I second Manne!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Sridhar:

Shiv/cybaru: if you cannot open the link, open a new browser window (not the one which opens when you click on the link) and physically cut and paste the address. There is something weird with geocities but it works this way. Incidentally, the link is directly opening for me.
Both from my Linux default browser and from Netscape on windows the page that loads is a huge page of symbols and gibberish containing the code of the gif - starting with the letters gif87a

I tried copying and pasting this into a text file and saving as a xyz.gif, but copy does not work in both operating systems.

I have not tried M$IE - but knowing Micro$oft I guess it will work so that Bill can pretend that all is well in this world. :roll:

I think it probably would work better if it was a gif linked off an html start page.

PS: yes it works on Micro$oft IE which I am ashamed to admit I still retain for emergencies such as this.

Nice picture.
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

You are correct Shiv. No luck with Netscape, but works like a charm with IE. Bill accepts all future accolades for integrating GIFs into his browser.