Indian Naval Discussion

abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9664
Joined: 19 Nov 2009 03:27

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby abhishek_sharma » 20 Feb 2012 00:37

-
Last edited by abhishek_sharma on 20 Feb 2012 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 00:38

Sanku wrote:
tsarkar wrote:Try shouting Jai Shri Ram or Jai Mata Di at an Exocet Armed Mirage or Harpoon Armed Agosta instead of fighting professionally. You'll realize Shri Ram too doesnt suffer nincompoops and fools.
Ah, I see, so I think you have a fundamental disconnect with your fellow officers in Olive green as well, when they cry "Raja Ram chandra ki jai" as they fit bayonets (being all out of bullets) and charge at machine gun posts.
No Sanku, there is no disconnect. The infantry battle cry is made only during charges, that are far inbetween, and because of heritage rather than religiousity. No one yells and screams during general advances. It is only in dire circumstances that bullets run out and bayonets are used. A well run professional army - like IA in 1971 - typically does not subject its soldiers to such circumstances. Kargil was an example where we, as an organization, unprofessionally let our guard down, and subjected our soldiers to extreme circumstances.

Sanku wrote:Perhaps they did not get the signal that they should be "professional" and there was no need to consider soldiering to be a "calling" instead of a "job which paid money for services rendered".
This is your speculation and your personal colouring.

Your personal falsifications will not affect the ethos of the Army or Navy in any manner.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 00:44

tsarkar wrote:No Sanku, there is no disconnect. The infantry battle cry is made only during charges, that are far inbetween, and because of heritage rather than religiousity.


Some heritage in display

Image

Your personal falsifications will not affect the ethos of the Army or Navy in any manner.


No; but your distasteful statements which are both bigoted and ignorant will.

And will also impact India.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 00:48

devesh wrote:have you read up on Chola history?
Yes.
devesh wrote:none of them could even remotely match the sophistication or the overall might of the naval power of the Cholas.
Does anyone have a description of the Chola naval organization? No. Does anyone remotely know what a Chola ship looked like? No. Have any Chola shipwreck been found like Viking ships? No. Does any shipbuilding industry or ocean going shipbuilding knowledge exist in TN today? No. Are there any Chola literature that describes shipbuilding? No. Why did this wonderful navy vanish without a trace? No clue. One cannot base an ethos in the complete absence of facts.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 00:52

tsarkar wrote:
Sanku wrote:Perhaps they did not get the signal that they should be "professional" and there was no need to consider soldiering to be a "calling" instead of a "job which paid money for services rendered".
This is your speculation and your personal colouring.


What is my speculation and personal coloring pray?

The definition of professionalism? The M-W dictionary of the Great Brittianina the sterling example of truth and justice says that.

The definition of soldiering as per IA? That it is a calling and not merely a profession !! Now now, do you want me to spoon feed statements by IA officers for that as well? (What part of Naam, Namak aur Nishan is "professionalism"? btw)

So what exactly is the issue.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 00:53

tsarkar wrote:
devesh wrote:have you read up on Chola history?
Yes.
devesh wrote:none of them could even remotely match the sophistication or the overall might of the naval power of the Cholas.
Does anyone have a description of the Chola naval organization? No. Does anyone remotely know what a Chola ship looked like? No. Have any Chola shipwreck been found like Viking ships? No. Does any shipbuilding industry or ocean going shipbuilding knowledge exist in TN today? No. Are there any Chola literature that describes shipbuilding? No. Why did this wonderful navy vanish without a trace? No clue. One cannot base an ethos in the complete absence of facts.


Whose NO? Kindly do not make your personal ignorance a global issue.

You have made many ignorant statements already.

Try and use the web, you will be surprised at what it throws up.

Edit, since I some how dont expect that you will make the effort:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_Navy

Can you please at least start here?
Last edited by Sanku on 20 Feb 2012 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 00:56

Sanku wrote:Some heritage in display Image
Sanku, most human pray, but that is NOT evidence of a professional organization being influenced by religiousity in its decisions and actions. This is another example of your misrepresentation.

Sanku wrote:No; but your distasteful statements which are both bigoted and ignorant will.And will also impact India.
[/quote]A statement coming from a dishonest person does not carry any weight. A person who would be screened out and never even invited for appearing in an SSB. Because of his limited intellect, the person would only watch this prestigious organization from afar, unlike us who proudly served.

krisna
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5829
Joined: 22 Dec 2008 06:36

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby krisna » 20 Feb 2012 00:59

My feeling is some of the above posts can be discussed more under burkha threads rather than here. :((

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 01:02

tsarkar wrote:Sanku, most human pray, but that is NOT evidence of a professional organization being influenced by religiousity in its decisions and actions. This is another example of your misrepresentation.


That was a picture of PVC Captain Vikram Batra praying to their unit Kul Devi for blessing; seeking her blessing before the battle for Point 4875.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikram_Batra

His last words were, "Jai Mata Di." (which means in Punjabi 'Hail the Divine Mother')


I think you have exposed yourself thoroughly by now.

A statement coming from a dishonest person does not carry any weight. A person who would be screened out and never even invited for appearing in an SSB. Because of his limited intellect, the person would only watch this prestigious organization from afar, unlike us who proudly served.

[/quote]

A personal attack does not take away from the fact that you have indeed been shown to be a bigot and a ignoramus. Unaware of the basics but pompous and full of himself.

Sad. Would have expected better from a officer.
Last edited by Sanku on 20 Feb 2012 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 01:04

The hall mark of true bravery is accepting that you are wrong when showed so by evidence.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 01:07

krisna wrote:My feeling is some of the above posts can be discussed more under burkha threads rather than here. :((


I did offer, but Tsarkar wanted to persist in mocking India and praising the British. I am not sure if we want such a legacy of British influence on Indian armed forces to continue.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 01:08

Sanku wrote:Whose NO? Kindly do not make your personal ignorance a global issue. You have made many ignorant statements already. Try and use the web, you will be surprised at what it throws up. Edit, since I some how dont expect that you will make the effort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_Navy Can you please at least start here?


A fully equipped Chola Thalam is said to have been able to withstand an attack by more than twice its size. This is attributed to the superior range of missile weapons in Chola Inventory.
What are these missile weapons? Why doesnt any description of this wonderful weapon survive? Most importantly, why did such a powerful navy with such powerful weapons suddenly collapse?Djinn technology at work.

FYI, the ASI reconstruction is that of a coastal boat, and not an ocean going ship.

There is no denying Cholas and others spread our culture far and wide. However, because of the passage of time, no records remain that can be used to base an ethos on.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 01:17

Sanku wrote:That was a picture of PVC Captain Vikram Batra praying to their unit Kul Devi for blessing; seeking her blessing before the battle for Point 4875.
Your ignorance is revealed. That is 2 Raj Rif praying at Tololing. Vikram Batra is nowhere in the picture, Vijayant Thapar is in the background. Vikram Batra was from a different unit.

Sanku wrote:You have indeed been shown to be a bigot and a ignoramus. Unaware of the basics but pompous and full of himself. Sad. Would have expected better from a officer.
You may rave and rant, Sanku, and make false accusations that I am promoting the British. I am not, I am promoting enthicity-and-religion-agnostic-values. Because of your dishonesty, I am sure your real life too is pathetic, and doesnt extend beyond jingogiri.

rgsrini
BRFite
Posts: 738
Joined: 17 Sep 2005 18:00

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby rgsrini » 20 Feb 2012 01:17

ethos of the Army or Navy

Ethos of Army or Navy must represent the ethos of the Nation, its ideology, its people. It cannot be rooted on an some external entity.
For most Indians, Britishers represent slavery, colonolialism, indentured laborers, exploitation, religious conversions, plundering of Indian revenue, over taxation, killing of millions of Indians (famine and otherwise), Divide and rule, Macaulization of Indians, Shipment of Indian laborers (read slaves) to plantation form through out the world and countless other attrocities.

The leftover British symbol of "st. Georges Cross" represent all of these attrocities to a lot of Indians. Some people inside and outside Navy may arbitrarily attribute the symbol to professionalism and having a tight as.s. But for a lot of Indians, it is a symbol of all attrocities of Britishers and it must be condemned and thrown away into the dustbin.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 01:23

tsarkar wrote:
Sanku wrote:Whose NO? Kindly do not make your personal ignorance a global issue. You have made many ignorant statements already. Try and use the web, you will be surprised at what it throws up. Edit, since I some how dont expect that you will make the effort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_Navy Can you please at least start here?


A fully equipped Chola Thalam is said to have been able to withstand an attack by more than twice its size. This is attributed to the superior range of missile weapons in Chola Inventory.
What are these missile weapons? Why doesnt any description of this wonderful weapon survive? Most importantly, why did such a powerful navy with such powerful weapons suddenly collapse?Djinn technology at work.

FYI, the ASI reconstruction is that of a coastal boat, and not an ocean going ship.

There is no denying Cholas and others spread our culture far and wide. However, because of the passage of time, no records remain that can be used to base an ethos on.


Dear Tsarkar, that was a small pointer, search and you will find more.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 01:25

Srini, the white ensign does not represent affiliation to the evils of British Colonialism, but affiliation to a seafaring and naval tradition. What next? Wear dhotis to war instead of trousers, since trousers are a western invention? Change ranks structure?

General Dyer also wore trousers, going by Sanku's logic, wearing trousers is praising General Dyer's behavior.

Why dont the hypocrite posters screaming Jai Mata Di stop wearing trousers, because they are not Indian. FWIW, I wear a dhoti in my village.
Last edited by tsarkar on 20 Feb 2012 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 01:26

tsarkar wrote:
Sanku wrote:That was a picture of PVC Captain Vikram Batra praying to their unit Kul Devi for blessing; seeking her blessing before the battle for Point 4875.
Your ignorance is revealed. That is 2 Raj Rif praying at Tololing. Vikram Batra is nowhere in the picture, Vijayant Thapar is in the background. Vikram Batra was from a different unit.


Ah fair enough, I may have gotten the wrong picture, but hey that does not change the point does it?

Meanwhile, there is also a picture of Captain Batra praying. But hey, how does the change the thrust of the argument pray?

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 01:28

tsarkar wrote:Srini, the white ensign does not represent affiliation to the evils of British Colonialism, but affiliation to a seafaring and naval tradition. What next? Wear dhotis to war instead of trousers, since trousers are a western invention? Change ranks structure?


Let me repost to nail this piece of misinformation once again, first posted on last page.

viewtopic.php?p=1245337#p1245337

Since we can effortlessly claim that the St George's cross stands for this and that, I wonder why the whole world is not aware of its legacy? Wiki certainly does not know, in fact it says a lot of interesting things which have nothing to do with issues like competence and professionalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Cross

Genoa's patron saint was St. George, and its vast trading fleet carried the association between the flag and the Saint across the ports of Europe and the Mediterranean Sea. The flag was adopted by England and the City of London in 1190 for their ships entering the Mediterranean and in part on the Black Sea, to benefit from the protection of the Genoese fleet. The English Monarch paid an annual tribute to the Doge of Genoa for this privilege.

Some French knights carried on using the red cross however, and as English knights wore this pattern as well, the red cross on white became the typical crusader symbol regardless of nationality.

Churches belonging to the Church of England (unless for special reasons another flag is flown by custom) may fly the St George's Cross. The correct way (since an order from the Earl Marshal in 1938) is for the church to fly the St George's cross, with the arms of the diocese in the left-hand upper corner of the flag.[3]


Lot of secular, professional standards around the symbol of St George's cross, as opposed to those yahoo barbarian Indian symbols which people did not know how to wipe their arse with paper before the Great Britain took some of them and taught them their professional ways and made them special.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2819
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 20 Feb 2012 01:29

Sanku wrote:Meanwhile, there is also a picture of Captain Batra praying. But hey, how does the change the thrust of the argument pray?
tsarkar wrote:Sanku, most human pray, but that is NOT evidence of a professional organization being influenced by religiousity in its decisions and actions.
Stop this needless jingo-giri, this is the start of Taliban irrationality. Dont become one of them.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 02:02

tsarkar wrote:
Sanku wrote:Meanwhile, there is also a picture of Captain Batra praying. But hey, how does the change the thrust of the argument pray?
tsarkar wrote:Sanku, most human pray, but that is NOT evidence of a professional organization being influenced by religiousity in its decisions and actions.
Stop this needless jingo-giri, this is the start of Taliban irrationality. Dont become one of them.


Kindly do not resort to rhetoric when you run out of facts.

You have been SIMPLY WRONG in many of the statements you have made, in addition you have run down India and built up the English, that too on the horribly wrong data points.

I have a suggestion, accept that you were wrong and withdraw gracefully rather than digging a bigger hole for yourself with each post. There is no merit in supporting a flawed position.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 02:06

tsarkar wrote:Srini, the white ensign does not represent affiliation to the evils of British Colonialism, but affiliation to a seafaring and naval tradition. What next? Wear dhotis to war instead of trousers, since trousers are a western invention? Change ranks structure?


Actually a lot of changes were indeed done post independence, in terms of removing British colonial ensigns at a number of places. Unfortunately that task was not fully followed through.

So we still have a "district collector" when even the concept of usurious revenue collection from farmers has ceased to exist.

Surely it is no ones case that a blind following of all that was handed from British time must continue?

Indian Navy Ensign change is sorely needed.

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 02:12

And I unconditionally apologize for any and all hard words and thoughts that I had posted during this discussion.

There was no intent on my side to cause offense, I also unconditionally state that I have taken no personal umbrage (no need for me to take any) and thus am calling for an end to any hostility that I may have accidentally been at the root of.

I will however continue the debate, in a much more level headed manner. If others do so. (continue the debate)

KrishnaK
BRFite
Posts: 948
Joined: 29 Mar 2005 23:00

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby KrishnaK » 20 Feb 2012 02:52

tsarkar: This is an honest question. How many British military leaders do you know of that weren't nobility ? Compare that to the count of those that were and come up with a rough ratio. British and other european forces were mostly feudal, just as in India. The whole point of Europeans having created a scientific approach to war comes out of the fact that they managed to conquer the problem of political stability. A stable political dispensation and the idea of loyalty to the nation gave rise to everything that you talk about. A sense of espirit-de-corps, pride in professionalism and discipline can most certainly be cultivated with a brand new flag or ensign. Wanting to shed ourselves of any vestiges of colonial colours need not mean that person is religious nutcase. It doesn't have to be one way or another.

devesh
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5128
Joined: 17 Feb 2011 03:27

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby devesh » 20 Feb 2012 03:13

waah....this is a new record for anyone on BRF. seriously, tsarkar, your response to my two posts consisted of completely ignoring one post and then replying to another post with what is a complete denial of history. since the Indians never had a any "ethos" and "discipline" I won't quote any Indian records for you. I will simply tell you to look for what your dearly beloved European historians say about Chola navy. even the most revisionist of European historians AGREE that the Chola Navy was the most powerful of the time and that if not for them Islamic colonization of SE Asia would have been more widespread and entrenched.

I am still waiting for you to put your spin on the other post about the meritocratic rise from lower ranks of soldiery to kingship in the Vijayanagara times. I suggest that you find some other spin for this than the "where is the proof" b/c fortunately the history of this empire is pretty well documented. just a friendly suggestion!

hailinfreq
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 21:27

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby hailinfreq » 20 Feb 2012 03:35

I am surprised that a moderator has not stepped in. The oversized smiley reference was perhaps just in bad taste but surely denigrating official IA regimental battlecries like "Raja Ram chandra ki jai" must cross some line?

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7874
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 20 Feb 2012 04:06

tsarkar & Sanku: Please cease & desist before the admins do it for you. Thanks.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16834
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rahul M » 20 Feb 2012 05:25

this line of discussion ends here. continue in mil misc or off topic thread if you want.

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20177
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Philip » 20 Feb 2012 05:51

<del>

This is an old report (apologies if posted earlier)
,worth chewing upon,as we need to stress the acquisition of a series of dedicated mil-sats for the IN asap.This will give us the ability to engage in NCW across a wider footprint of the IOR and Indo-China Sea,at the moment lacking enough surveillance capabilities due to the limited number of LRMPs.

Vision-2020 – The Next Step for India’s Military Space Programs
http://defense-update.com/20111220_visi ... grams.html

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... ganization

Military satellite delayed again by a year
Rajat Pandit, TNN Oct 13, 2011,
(Indian armed forces are still to get their own dedicated surveillance and communication satellites despite several years of promises and plans.)

NEW DELHI: PM Manmohan Singh may wax eloquent that the military will be equipped with "all necessary means to meet all threats", including those "which go beyond conventional warfare", but no sense of urgency is being shown in the space arena.

Indian armed forces are still to get their own dedicated surveillance and communication satellites despite several years of promises and plans, leave alone offensive space capabilities like ASAT (anti-satellite) weapons or advanced directed-energy laser weapons.

Moreover, the government continues to keep the desperately-needed tri-Service Aerospace Command in cold storage, even though China has taken to the military exploitation of space, which includes ASAT capabilities, in a major way.

Top defence officials admit the much-awaited launch of the naval communication and surveillance satellite, "Rohini", has been once again delayed by a year or so. Satellites for Army-IAF will only follow thereafter.

Incidentally, during the naval commanders' conference in 2009, defence minister A K Antony had declared that the satellite to boost connectivity over sea would be launched in early-2010.

Subsequently, Indian Space Research Organization ( ISRO) had revised the satellite's "launch window" to December 2010-March 2011. But to no avail.

"There has been another big delay now...it won't be possible before end-2012 at the earliest," said an official, even as all top military commanders are currently in New Delhi for their annual brain-storming sessions.

"The problem is the repeated failures of GSLV (geosynchronous satellite launch vehicle) and indigenous cryogenic engines (ISRO is now left with only one of the cryogenic engines imported from Russia)," he added.

With no early launch in sight, talk is gaining ground that India should contemplate a foreign launcher for its GSAT-7 series of military satellites.

The 2,330-kg naval satellite is supposed to have an around 1,000 nautical mile footprint over Indian Ocean, stretching from Red Sea to Malacca Strait, to ensure "network-centric operations" and "maritime domain awareness". The IAF-Army one, in turn, will have a similar footprint over land.

The Defence Space Vision-2020 identified only intelligence, reconnaissance, surveillance, communication and navigation as the thrust areas in Phase-I till 2012. But even such capabilities, which include the critical necessity to keep 24x7 tabs on enemy troop movements, warships, airbases and missile silos as well as bolster surveillance over Indian airspace, will remain limited in the absence of dedicated military satellites.

Interestingly, while India is publicly opposed to "militarization of space", the defence ministry last year had come out with a "Technology Perspective and Capability Roadmap" till 2025 which identified space warfare as a priority area, as was first reported by TOI.
Last edited by Rahul M on 20 Feb 2012 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT.

arnab
BRFite
Posts: 1136
Joined: 13 Dec 2005 09:08

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby arnab » 20 Feb 2012 06:34

<del>
Last edited by Rahul M on 20 Feb 2012 07:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: OT.

George J
BRFite
Posts: 312
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby George J » 20 Feb 2012 06:42

<del>
Last edited by Rahul M on 20 Feb 2012 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT.

arnab
BRFite
Posts: 1136
Joined: 13 Dec 2005 09:08

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby arnab » 20 Feb 2012 06:45

<del>
Last edited by Rahul M on 20 Feb 2012 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT.

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20177
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Philip » 20 Feb 2012 15:40

Admins,Mods,please drown these non-topic posts in a basin of sea water or torpedo the posters! THey are wrecking serious debate.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16834
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rahul M » 20 Feb 2012 16:45

next round of OT posts earns a warning for *each* such post, no questions asked.
Rahul.

member_20617
BRFite
Posts: 194
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby member_20617 » 20 Feb 2012 20:04

<del>
Last edited by Rahul M on 20 Feb 2012 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 1st warning.

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4297
Joined: 01 Mar 2010 22:42
Location: From Frontier India
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby chackojoseph » 20 Feb 2012 20:39

Took time to write a thank you note:

Enirca Lexie : Indian Naval forces react quick

Sanku
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12526
Joined: 23 Aug 2007 15:57
Location: Naaahhhh

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Sanku » 20 Feb 2012 22:25

chackojoseph wrote:Took time to write a thank you note:

Enirca Lexie : Indian Naval forces react quick


Indeed a great job by Coast Guard and Indian Navy, hip hip hurray!

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20177
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Philip » 21 Feb 2012 07:42

Many tx.

Here is an intriguing piece of news that Russian oligarchs financed and saved a nuclear sub base-thanked by PM Putin.While strictly this should be in the Intl. thread,I am throwing up the idea that the pvt. players in Indian defence like L&T,Pipapav,and other interested parties,do something similar,where the infrastructure in setting up the shipyards and bases is financed by them-which some have done in large measure,in the guarantee that they will get consistent significant orders for warships ,auxiliaries and subs.This way we will be able to modernise our shipbuilding industry quickly,acquire vessels at lower costs, and use the money saved to modernise state yards.Their appears to be some resistance from state yards,but given their well-known delays which have seen costs reaching those of acquiring them from abroad,and the widening gap between Indian production and that of the Chinese (who gift Pak their new warships and subs),this is inevitable-involving pvt. industry if we are to catch up or at least prevent the gap from widening.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... -LZOFU.DTL

Putin Thanks Oil Billionaires for Saving Nuclear Submarine Base

Ilya Arkhipov, ©2012 Bloomberg News
Monday, February 20, 2012

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said he owed a debt of gratitude to oil companies TNK and OAO Surgutneftegas for providing the cash needed to keep Russia's seaborne nuclear forces in the Pacific afloat in 2002.

Then-President Putin asked the non-state companies to provide the funding needed to keep the Vilyuchinsk base on the Kamchatka Peninsula operating after the military proposed to stop funding and close the facility, Putin said in an article published in the government's official Rossiiskaya Gazeta today.

"Now we have a modern base at Vilyuchinsk that will soon" be home to a new generation of nuclear submarines, Putin wrote in the article.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1myjWytNK

shukla
BRFite
Posts: 1727
Joined: 17 Aug 2009 20:50
Location: Land of Oz!

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby shukla » 21 Feb 2012 11:11

X-post

The European's clearly shaken my the MMRCA and LCA engine snub and desperate not to loose again, comes an (under the belt) attempt to create an unnecessary controversy to win the MRH competition..

Indian Navy: Europe firm ‘twisting’ facts for $1bn Multi-Role Helicopter deal
Asian Age

A big controversy has hit the acquisition of 16 Multi-Role Helicopters for the Indian Navy, a deal estimated to be worth around $1 billion, with the Indian Navy accusing European vendor NH Industries (NHI) of trying to “mislead” the defence ministry, “twist” the Naval Staff Qualitative Requirements (NSQRs), “falsify” the Request for Proposal (RFP) and cause delays with “unreasonable que-ries/concerns”. Documents accessed by this newspaper show the Navy criticised the European firm after it raised doubts about the helicopter of its American rival Sikorsky. This new US-European battle for an Indian defence deal is leading to a lot of acrimony.

NHI earlier alleged Sikorsky does not meet the NSQRs for the deal, and complained to the defence ministry. The Navy has now made it clear that both NHI and Sikorsky have met the NSQRs, making them both eligible. The Navy earlier submitted its Field Evaluation Trials (FETs) report to the MoD on acquiring the anti-surface and anti-submarine MRHs. NHI, based in France and with French, German and Italian participation, pitched its NH90 helicopter against Sikorsky’s S70B. NHI earlier raised doubts about the Sikorsky helicopter on various aspects, including dual redundancy, fitment of fuel tanks, full authority automatic flight control system, fuel reserves at the end of mission, sensor functions and usage monitoring system. The Navy has, however, given the Sikorsky helicopter a clean chit.

In its final recommendations and in response to NHI’s allegations, the Navy said: “It emerges that NHI is attempting to mislead the higher authorities and cause delays... with unreasonable queries/concerns. The Indian Navy has evaluated the (NHI) NH90 and (Sikorsky) S70B helicopters, and considers both platforms meet the NSQRs specified in... the RFP.” On NHI’s queries on the Sikorsky helicopter’s “sensor functions” and “fitment of both external and internal fuel tanks”, the Navy said: “It is clearly evident that NHI have twisted the NSQR, thereby falsifying the Request for Proposal on the MRH with an aim to misleading the higher authorities MoD”. NHI had raised doubts on several other features. It said: “(The NSQR) requires no failure of single system should lead to a catastrophic failure. NHI would like to understand how this is demonstrated since the S70B does not have dual redundancy built in to all aircraft flight control systems.”


All this chest thumping when it features prominently in the Australian Department of Defence's list of 'Projects of Concern' due to engine failures and have they not forgotten the German complaints??

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 23385
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Austin » 21 Feb 2012 12:53

Russian submarine "Nerpa" will arrive in India on March 30-31 - source

We are awaiting the arrival of the submarine to India on March 30-31," - said the source. According to him, the boat has already gone on a journey, she arrives at the port of Visakhapatnam. "Part of the way the boat will go on the surface," - said the official.

Rony
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2793
Joined: 14 Jul 2006 23:29

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rony » 21 Feb 2012 22:15

tsarkar wrote:
devesh wrote:have you read up on Chola history?
Yes.
devesh wrote:none of them could even remotely match the sophistication or the overall might of the naval power of the Cholas.
Does anyone have a description of the Chola naval organization? No. Does anyone remotely know what a Chola ship looked like? No. Have any Chola shipwreck been found like Viking ships? No. Does any shipbuilding industry or ocean going shipbuilding knowledge exist in TN today? No. Are there any Chola literature that describes shipbuilding? No. Why did this wonderful navy vanish without a trace? No clue. One cannot base an ethos in the complete absence of facts.


May i suggest you read this book when you have some time. Its unfortunate that Indians dont know their own history, military and otherwise. Before Indians read about Mughal and British histories, it is important that they read histories of other regions of India, military and otherwise. I have observed both in online forums and outside that Indians are ignorant of their own history as a whole. They might be knowing the history of their own regions and sometimes their surrounding regions but thats it. They are not exposed to the history of India as a whole (which includes the history of other Indian regions apart from their own) which is unfortunate. That is the reason why you have some ignorant Indians still beleiving in martial race theory etc etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Nagapattinam-Suva ... 9812309373

Nagapattinam to Suvarnadwipa: Reflections on the Chola Naval Expeditions to Southeast Asia
by Hermann Kulke, K. Kesavapany and Vijay Sakhuja


Return to “Military Issues Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest