Upcoming India-Pakistan War - Force Balances, Strategy, Tactics, etc.

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Re: Upcoming India-Pakistan War - Force Balances, Strategy, Tactics, etc.

Post by ArjunPandit »

On a related note, when do the new rifles/guns come to us, did we order a prime delivery? would be a shame if the new guns dont go to war. Would be a repeat of Su30, Mig 21(1965)
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

pankajs wrote:GOI is not planning a "aar paar ki ladai" i.e No fight to the finish hence the Nukes don't come into picture. No one reaches for nukes when they still have options because nukes are usually the last act.

Even if India re-takes POK, it will be a grave setback for bakistan & TSPA for sure BUT not a death blow. They can still *hope* to bleed India by 1000 cuts.

Indian action is most likely to be *calibrated* payback with interest.
do we really think we can take back PoK in a week long war or even a two week long war? It should be a very well defended area and would require deft working. My thoughts are might will be taking few selected areas.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

It may be Chinese regulars we end up fighting. I remember reading somewhere that the ever noble Pakistanis are giving the Chinese their job.

Assuming, we can assemble a strike force fast enough and it is well led and doesn’t get bogged down by strong points but bypasses the - your standard blitzkreig SOP - it may be.

ArjunPandit wrote:
pankajs wrote:GOI is not planning a "aar paar ki ladai" i.e No fight to the finish hence the Nukes don't come into picture. No one reaches for nukes when they still have options because nukes are usually the last act.

Even if India re-takes POK, it will be a grave setback for bakistan & TSPA for sure BUT not a death blow. They can still *hope* to bleed India by 1000 cuts.

Indian action is most likely to be *calibrated* payback with interest.
do we really think we can take back PoK in a week long war or even a two week long war? It should be a very well defended area and would require deft working. My thoughts are might will be taking few selected areas.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

I don't think we are going for POK ... May be a small section/posts here or there to improve our LOC position is all we can hope for in this round.

This is about payback with interest and not starting a general war even if limited to POK. Have we seen/heard any mobilization apart from 100 company policing force addition to the valley?
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Arun, Shamukh, Karthik IMO it is going to be some combination of what you said. Minor quibble. Taking out Taliban no 2 aka Saeed, etc will require putting someone else's life on line as it will be deep inside Pak territory and will be swiftly replaced by new Taliban no 2. Not worth it unless they can be taken out using missiles. Second, two important differences with Viet and Afghn - local support will not be with Pak and the terrain. In 1947-48 the Shias were brainwashed by the ML making it a fight against Kuffirs but they have had 70 yrs of Sunni rule and judging by reports are not happy enough to throw in their lot with Pak army. Terrain is difficult once you loose control of interdiction lines. Just check the map for lines of communication. Many creative things can be done with it. AJK is more difficult as it has a fanatic Sunni pop. Will require heavy bombing to blunt any chances of doing a Vietcong. Also Karakoram highway is I believe the only land-based supply line from China. Need to be put out of service if deep penetration is planned.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

pankajs wrote:I don't think we are going for POK ... May be a small section/posts here or there to improve our LOC position is all we can hope for in this round.

This is about payback with interest and not starting a general war even if limited to POK. Have we seen/heard any mobilization apart from 100 company policing force addition to the valley?
1. you shouldnt hear it before pakis see it
2. hope you remember the flights of C17s and C130s sometime back flying tonnes of stuff
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Arun.prabhu wrote:It may be Chinese regulars we end up fighting. I remember reading somewhere that the ever noble Pakistanis are giving the Chinese their job.

Assuming, we can assemble a strike force fast enough and it is well led and doesn’t get bogged down by strong points but bypasses the - your standard blitzkreig SOP - it may be.
then so be it...in my personal opinion, when the balloon goes up, chinese would not prefer to to fight. For the following reasons
1. They have their hands full right now
2. They will lose a lot of standing on global stage, which would be detrimental to them and for what few areas of land that does not give them any benefit in short run. Chokes them all the more in their 9 dash or whatever dash lines
3. If they lose, which is quite plausible because India will anyways prepare for it too, they will lose their face and chaddi too. Even if we blow them that will not be different from the blow job given to yeager's beechcraft during '71
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

ArjunPandit wrote:
pankajs wrote:I don't think we are going for POK ... May be a small section/posts here or there to improve our LOC position is all we can hope for in this round.

1. you shouldnt hear it before pakis see it
2. hope you remember the flights of C17s and C130s sometime back flying tonnes of stuff
GOI would be foolish to start even a limited conflict just before a general election.

1. There is no time before election for more than a sharp slap.
2. Limited conflict before an election is risky in one of the most militarized zones in the world.

Everything else flows from those 2 points.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I agree, GOI would be too busy fighting elections that it can not fight at the border
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

What if it doesn't happen before election?
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Supratik wrote:What if it doesn't happen before election?
Modi will lose then - Congoons will cite lack of 56 inch chest to cover their 5.6 inch chest.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

If this were AFTER GE, GOI's risk taking capacity would be much greater. It *could* plan to execute a longer campaign with multiple thrust and not worry getting bogged down in any one of its campaign if the final result could be delivered even if late.

Today GOI cannot risk starting a thrust and getting bogged down. So it would go for a quick well executed punch where there is no chance of getting bogged down e.g Air strikes across the LOC at a few well chosen targets or push to grab a few well chosen baki posts. The risk of counter action is always present.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Cong got back with larger number of seats after they did diddly squat following Mumbai attacks. There are many factors that determine an election. Unless they want to give Pak merely a slap on the wrist you will probably see minor action before election.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Haridas wrote:Radioactive contamination is over hyped. Please read more. Hiroshima was contaminated for how many weeks?
Pakistan is far ahead, it is already immune. Ppl are dying like flies, from food poisoning in Krachi, no need for radiation poisoning. See Balochistan thread. India better watch out! As the woman-beater (Pak UN rep) in 2002 yelled at the UN, any Indian stunt like blockade of Krachi will be grounds for new clear First Strike.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

nam wrote:
Karthik S wrote:What will IA be doing driving tanks in such urban areas of pak?
Well.. for one Masood and his chelas will definitely not be sitting in villages.
IMO the biggest Achilles Heel of Indian forces is the over-genuflecting nature of the civlian leadership - and some mil. brass. Remember Op. Bluestar?
Compare to Unkilstani SOP , Google MOVE Philadelphia. If I were commanding forces ordered to take the terrorists holed up in Muzzafarabad I would encircle it, and give them 30 mins to bring out the wanted terrorists - and all other civilians to line up for processing and clearance to get out.
Then I would level the place. It needs rebuilding anyhow.
No sending tanks and jeeps down narrow streets with windows hanging out over them.
And of course I would subject all papparazzi to military censorship.

In 1965 the BIG mistake was not taking Lahore. I mean Lahore Park.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

And while I am on a roll, may I post a couple of posers to those who argue for Sanity? Here are some historical samples.
1) Pentagon joke about Generals dissing the neutron bomb: "Half the fun is watching the buildings fall!" Actually, yes. There are deep studies (my 6th coujin had to translate some from Russian emigres circa 1990) about the tradeoff between Fugacity to knock over buildings, and sheer thermal energy to fry the occupants.
2) Now about this nonsense about nuclear weapons. Would you rather have your loved ones raped and chopped up, as has happened to so many Punjabi and Kashmiri Indians? A nuclear blast is spectacular (last time u will c sure..) and very permanent and reliable. I do not see why a million dying is worse than one soldier - or child - dying. Could you explain the logic there? I for one have NO doubt about my choice. Having lived in a Ground Zero target area where some 20 MT of weapons have my address on them, for the past 40 years, and worked in a place designated a Fallout Shelter (utterly futile, given the certainty of the above 20MT), I have made my peace with such sentiments and have a very clear mind on this issue. Crazy maybe, but clear. New and Clear.

Get over that one hangup and Pakistan has lost its power to threaten India. Beyond that, 7:1 conventional superiority means the utter end of Pakistan within 1 to 2 weeks, the upper limit being if KSA closes its airspace to the RAPEs coming in. Main problem I see is handling the refugee crisis at the Pakjab border as their lovin' brethren the Pathans and the Balochis and the Balwaris come calling to settle 70-year scores. I think that is going to be a far worse bloodbath in 'Hore than ever happened in 1947-48.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

IMHO, the strategy is to rattle the TSP RATS brain enough to provoke them into a first strike. Once that happens, all bets are off and the mofos are gonna get an ass whopping like they’ve never seen. They’ll be running to Afghanistan to surrender to unkil’s forces as refugees. We saw it in 1971 and we’ll see it again.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^sunderji tried that in '87. They were not fool enough to do that. I think after that they stuck to what they do best, blow themselves up.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Supratik wrote:Cong got back with larger number of seats after they did diddly squat following Mumbai attacks. There are many factors that determine an election. Unless they want to give Pak merely a slap on the wrist you will probably see minor action before election.
oh sir, you've forgotten the non state actor theory. I think many things happened in run up to 2009 election like 76 CRPF personnel martyred in dantewada or was it sukma, and multiple train derailments. Of course pakistan had nothing to do with it. My sense is not that they want to influence the election outcome, but it's thheir nature to bite us. They care little who's at the helm. What makes the difference is freedom to our own forces', which is why we say less strikes during MAD era. To me it appears, they provoke us, deploy themselves fast, due to better intelligence, catch a few Su 30 before they cross the border and claim moral superiority. They havent factored in what if there are 2 sqdns of Su 30s headed their way. Their usual tactical brilliance.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

There will be no "aar paar ki ladai". There will be no "final battle to 'finish' the Pakistan problem", or "break up Pakistan", or anything even remotely close to that.

The reason for this is NOT nukes. Pakistani jernails have too much personal skin in the Fauji-corporate game to use nukes even if we decimate a few formations of TSPA and/or hit terrorist HQs in Muridke/Bahwalpur and/or grab limited territory in POJK (which is as far as any Indian war aims will go, take it in writing).

What is the reason? Simply this. Any partial or total collapse of the Pakistani state (whether by relatively "orderly" breakup into 4 countries, or by a devolution into total anarchy) WILL result in between 1 and 10 crore yahoos of all ages and genders flooding from Pakistan across the long, flat border into India. Dirt-poor, uneducated, unskilled, and very very peaceful in all the ways that matter. Most of them will also be young (i.e. at or nearly at prime child-bearing age).

Look at what is happening between Venezuela and Colombia now. Look at what happened when Syrian refugees started to pour into Europe. And those are very small populations, and relatively civilized populations, compared to what lies across the Radcliffe line.

Once they start coming there will be literally no solution (other than killing them all, which is not a solution India will countenance). The entire international community will be putting all kinds of pressure on India to swallow what is essentially a suicide pill for her demographic balance, political stability, economic prosperity, and civilizational heritage. Anywhere between one and ten crores in all (do the math for how that impacts India's already rapidly-changing demographics). Not all in one go, but continuously, endlessly, and at far more points of entry than India could monitor. Think about what that would mean EVEN IF there is not a single jihadi terrorist as part of that whole influx (which as you know, won't be the case). Pakistan may be "finished" but even in death, it will be fulfilling the ultimate purpose for which the British created it. And you know there will be multiple actors within India who, for reasons of their own, will do everything they can to help.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I diasgree Rudradev ji. If the military is defeated and defanged, the individual states of Baluch, Sindh, Punjab are still prosperous. They are spending almost 40% on military.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Muppalla ji, with due respect-- it is not like changing the channel on a TV (state 1: present Pakistan, state 2: nice individual prosperous states of Baluch, Sindh, etc.)

EVEN if this solution can be effectively established and managed by India, which I doubt, there will be a long, long transitional period in which the successor states stabilize themselves, fight amongst each other, fight with splittist and TSPA-loyalist and global-jihadist factions within their borders, establish rule of law... Afghanistan and Iraq haven't been able to do this even with so much of Unkil's money and resources being spent on them over 15-20 years!!

Not to mention, every other interested party (Iran, China, UK, US, KSA, maybe even Russia) will be stirring the pot during the period of instability to secure favourable outcomes for themselves... and all of them are at a safe distance from the pot, compared to India.

And for however long that takes, be ready to welcome more peacefuls than you ever wanted to see. In our villages, towns, cities. Where our mothers and sisters and daughters go to market/work/school. If we think the Rohingyas are a problem, this is going to be India's worst nightmare.

We can't declare victory and run like Unkil (and see how much of Unkil's money has gone down the tubes even occupying far-away Iraq and Afghanistan, to no avail). Pakistan is right next door to us, and the vast majority of the border is very easily traversed.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

1. Against RDji's point: wont' the border fencing help? At least it wont be the free flow
2. To RDji's point: Even with a fence, we need to monitor and need to have substantial presence in these countries for their stabilization
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

:) Has border fencing helped the US stem the tide of illegals (much much fewer illegals than a collapse of Pakistan would create) from Honduras, El Salvador, etc? Remember, those Central Americans have to go a much longer distance to get to the US, than the vast majority of Pakjabis trying to get into India.

Also, EVERY political party in opposition to Modi/BJP will be doing everything possible to facilitate the influx.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Rudradev wrote::) Has border fencing helped the US stem the tide of illegals (much much fewer illegals than a collapse of Pakistan would create) from Honduras, El Salvador, etc? Remember, those Central Americans have to go a much longer distance to get to the US, than the vast majority of Pakjabis trying to get into India.

Also, EVERY political party in opposition to Modi/BJP will be doing everything possible to facilitate the influx.
US of a is a bad example RDji, it did put a tab in palestine. Of course these guys will be soon building tunnels
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Arjun Pandit ji, Israel-Gaza and Israel-West Bank borders are tiny. No chance we'll be able to enforce anything like that along the entire 3400 km of IB.

I think we can't afford to ignore this reality. It is an inevitable aftermath of Pakistan's collapse that we will have to absorb crores of Pakistanis into our population... there is literally no way around it.

Therefore, the maximum extent to which we can go in a war against Pakistan is to retake ALL of POK plus Northern Areas (everything lost in 1947-48 except the Shaksgam Valley ceded to China by Pakis). I think we should refine our thinking around this limit as the upper boundary of our war aims. Even in this case we'll have to take in many lakhs of POK people, but at least that's a scale we can conceivably manage in the aftermath.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana wrote:Arun.prabhu, This thread was not to bring in nuke bogey and get scared.
Please don't post anymore here.
You are welcome to open a thread on that. But not here.

And consider this as warning whatnot.
ramana

RD this applies to all and not just Arun.Prabhu.

Ramana
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Ramana, did I bring up the nuke bogey? On the contrary, I debunked it.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Rudradev wrote:Muppalla ji, with due respect-- it is not like changing the channel on a TV (state 1: present Pakistan, state 2: nice individual prosperous states of Baluch, Sindh, etc.)

EVEN if this solution can be effectively established and managed by India, which I doubt, there will be a long, long transitional period in which the successor states stabilize themselves, fight amongst each other, fight with splittist and TSPA-loyalist and global-jihadist factions within their borders, establish rule of law... Afghanistan and Iraq haven't been able to do this even with so much of Unkil's money and resources being spent on them over 15-20 years!!

Not to mention, every other interested party (Iran, China, UK, US, KSA, maybe even Russia) will be stirring the pot during the period of instability to secure favourable outcomes for themselves... and all of them are at a safe distance from the pot, compared to India.

And for however long that takes, be ready to welcome more peacefuls than you ever wanted to see. In our villages, towns, cities. Where our mothers and sisters and daughters go to market/work/school. If we think the Rohingyas are a problem, this is going to be India's worst nightmare.

We can't declare victory and run like Unkil (and see how much of Unkil's money has gone down the tubes even occupying far-away Iraq and Afghanistan, to no avail). Pakistan is right next door to us, and the vast majority of the border is very easily traversed.
This is inevitable when ever you do. Otherwise it is like a bakaasur story. We keep feeding few terror attacks an year and be happy. Do a small URI type surgical strike and be happy. Even if Pak falls off on its own, we will have same issue. We just can't postpone this forever showing our futuristic GDPs. It is our failing neighbor and we will take the brunt no matter what. Need to hit them hard ASAP and deal with the fall out.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Gotta think positive, RD ji.

Refugee problem is real. But I don't see that as a reason to end Pakistan. I think the demono-graphic issue is a VERY strong reason to not go for any Re-Unification of Maha BharatVarsha etc in the near term: very quickly the voting balance would shift towards those who do not believe in elections and that would be that. I feel that refugee problem will occur only if there are (a) mass starvation and/or (b) mass unchecked violence a la 1947/48. But today I think governments can be quickly established in Pakhtoonistan and Balochistan, with help from Afghanistan and Iran, once the Pakiban demon is crushed. Talban will collapse like in Mazar-e-Sharif after Shomali Plain.

In 1970-71 India dealt with over 10 million refugees from East Pakistan, mostly traumatized Hindus. In the decades since there has been a steady stream of BD quasi-economic refugees, I don't know how many million. So yes, on the west too, there will be pressure to get into India, but it can be controlled by forward-thinking GOI (yes, yes I know, nearly posted a rotfl emoticon).

On the other hand there could be reverse migration to a newly de-Pakjabized set of nations along with flourishing trade. No reason for any quasi-military standoff with the new nations, they will be fundamentall as "friendly" as Afghanistan minus Taliban.

A loose confederation of BharataVarsha, with EU-type cross-border freedoms but EU-type national voting rights, is imaginable. Peace can bring non-linear and order-of-magnitude gains in prosperity, so why think in terms of only zero-sum refugees flows?

EU has problems deeper than that. One BIG reason why they allow the inflow of so many Peaceful People is that they need cheap labor to survive against the Chinese product deluge. No reason why BV should have that problem, v r significantly poorer per capita than PeeAllSee.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Total short range (Hatf2,Hatf3, Hatf9) are 10+16+24 = 50 ( Musharaff's number :) ). He is alluding to tactical Nukes about 50 in one shot.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

IAF hit targets near Muzaffarabad?
https://mobile.twitter.com/ELINTNews
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

My take:-

Pak has 500 functioning tank vs 5000 Indian tanks & 100,000 ATGMs. Our holding of night sights & thermal imagers for infantry is inadequate.

Pak has some Navy perhaps, India has Coast Guard and .......

The main problem in my view is around 75 Pak F-16s and 500 AMRAAM C5 missiles. Our western BVR missile capability would be

xMirage 2000 upgraded + xMica
xLCA + Derby
xHarrier + Derby

I am not referring to Russian equipment intentionally. IAF will need to tackle these 500 AMRAAMs as PAF will be defending. I hope our Israeli, Russian & Indian jammers & chaff dispensers are upto the task.
Last edited by Gyan on 26 Feb 2019 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

https://www.opindia.com/2019/02/pakista ... o-comment/
In the wee hours of the morning, Pakistan has been reporting heavy movement along the Line of Control between India and Pakistan. Pakistan has claimed that the Indian Airforce crossed the Line of Control and breached the Pakistani airspace. At around 5:30 AM, the Pakistan Army spokesperson tweeted that the Indian Airforce had violated the Line of Control.

At 7:06 AM, the Pakistan Army spokesperson tweeted that Indian aircrafts intruded from Muzaffarabad sector. He claimed that IAF “released payload” in haste “which fell near Balakot”.

While Pakistan says that IAF “dropped the payload in haste”, Indian Airforce is yet to comment on the situation.

Vishnu Som, NDTV’s defence reported has also reported that there are strong rumours of IAF strikes on Pakistan targets in the early hours of the morning. Crucial for official reactions. Pakistan also confirms we hit.

Sounds like a probing action. Not sure if any ordnance was delivered, the reports of sounds could just be sonic booms.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

1. We didn't bring up the nuclear discussion. Senile habitual liar Musharraf did. Repeated the old adage that when the war gets nuclear, it's time to empty the silos. Nothing new here, nothing clear either.
2. I doubt we want all-out war at this juncture. As a lot of cooler and well informed heads have indicated, we bide our time and let Pakiland collapse on its own contradictions which it certainly will.
3. Hitting CPEC assets will necessarily bring China into the game which we must avoid, as will any offensive closer to GB. So any cross LoC operation will necessarily be shallow.
4. Bombing point targets within Punjab would show our actions as punishment alone, and denude Pakfauj. It doesn't necessarily have to be a military target - HQ of JEM is a perfect "nishan-e-pakistan".
5. We provoke to the point they do something stupid, as they have a history of doing; we keep them on their toes, then pull a punch on them, draw blood, and say we're done. They won't retaliate in any major way besides mouthing off. If they do, we knock out Karachi and shut them down.
6. No ground incursions needed. The days of tank battles are gone. If they violate the IB with ground forces, we grab Kartarpur Sahib and in the eventual cease fire we do an exchange (tilted heavily in our favour).
parikh_ind
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parikh_ind »

Birathers , first ball has been bowled , IAF has delivered the goods to Balakot in POK and bagged 2 JF-17's in the process (to be confirmed ).
Let the games begin and may the odds be with our boys
Last edited by parikh_ind on 26 Feb 2019 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

https://twitter.com/nitingokhale/status ... 6070312960

"Two-pronged kinetic action, in air and on ground appears—pl note the word appears—to have happened in Pak-occupied Jammu and Kashmir. Briefing expected on Indian side. So far no official word. Only a very strong buzz. Wait for updates"
parikh_ind
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parikh_ind »

Some more intense action on LOC also starting up .

https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/statu ... 9458182144
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Balakot is 50 miles or so from the LOC. Planes must have crossed POK to get there. All appear to have returned safe (pakis are claiming planes dropped something not shot down any)
Dawn