1965 India Pakistan War: Forty Years Since

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

A Sharma wrote:1965 war:The Chinese bluff

While continuing to squeeze India on Kashmir, the Western Powers were getting uncomfortable with the strange situation. They were supplying armaments to Pakistan, which in turn was flirting with Communist China.

In a long letter to India's chief ministers on May 23, 1963, Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru lucidly pointed out: 'Pakistan has been and continues to be a headache. By a curious quirk of circumstance this has got tied up with the Chinese menace. Surely, there must be few instances in history of a country tying itself up with military alliances against some of the countries, in the present case, Communist countries, and then suddenly turning over and coming to an understanding with one of these Communist countries.'
This is the most important information. Indian leadership and elite could not figure out that this could not have happened without the (secret)support of the western powers.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/05war.htm
The 1965 War: A view from the east
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

From link above
But doubts about the war's progress started creeping in from the second week. They first surfaced for me when accounts started circulating about horsemen in green fighting alongside Pakistani forces :P , and heroic volunteers strapping explosives to their bodies destroyed Centurions and Shermans by rolling under their tracks.

Curiously, these soldiers were not named nor given awards.
:lol:
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Jagan wrote:http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/05war.htm
Some interesting excerpt from the link
Just before noon on or around September 12, there was a huge bang just outside the bank. One rumour was that the IAF had dropped bombs. Immediately, the bank shut its doors.

We contacted various sources to ascertain the cause. It transpired that a three-wheeler cycle rickshaw had burst both its rear tyres simultaneously. We breathed a sigh of relief. The rickshaw puller was roundly chastised. :)
The cease-fire on September 23 was greeted with relief in the east and anger in the west, especially amongst the Punjabis. Many of the latter were convinced Pakistan was winning when Ayub capitulated under Anglo-US pressure.

But Pakistan, fighting on its inventory, was down to two days of petroleum, oil and lubricants or POL, and running short of ammo. Ayub was obliged to call it a day.
Bengalis supported it; Punjabis were livid. This sealed Ayub's fate. Bhutto skillfully used Punjabi resentment to sweep the province in the 1970 election.
The war devastated Ayub; shattered martial myths; highlighted societal contradictions and fatally exacerbated inter-wing tensions. The crack became a chasm.
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

I am working on a book among other things. I would love to hear if there are Indian printing/publishing outfits that are in the printing outsourcing biz. The major printing outfits in the USA would not take small amount of print requests unless you pay them killer amounts of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Avram Sprinzl
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Absolutely. Please contact Captain (Rtd) Bharat of Lancer Publishers & Distributors, New Delhi (a benifactor of Bharat-Rakshak). He has been offering it for quite some time, in fact some Lancer books are very small run.

Contact info at : http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/BOOKS/Lancer.html
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

asprinzl wrote:
I am working on a book among other things. I would love to hear if there are Indian printing/publishing outfits that are in the printing outsourcing biz. The major printing outfits in the USA would not take small amount of print requests unless you pay them killer amounts of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Avram Sprinzl
Avram

Lancer that Arun recomends is a publisher, who will do an A2Z job (Editing, Typesetting, Printing, Distribution etc)

If you already have the Typesetted document ready (excuse the english), a very good source is www.pragati.com - these chaps are basedin Hyderabad and have a good outsourcing model already in place. If you can email the finished PDF they willprint not only to your specifications but also courier it to your country. You need to give them the specs to get a quote though.

Note that they are not publishers but merely 'printing outsourcing company'. But Pragati is regarded as one of the best , if not the best printing set ups in this country.

Regards

Jagan
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

asprinzl wrote:
Avram Sprinzl
Avram

Lancer that Arun recomends is a publisher, who will do an A2Z job (Editing, Typesetting, Printing, Distribution etc)

If you already have the Typesetted document ready (excuse the english), a very good source is www.pragati.com - these chaps are basedin Hyderabad and have a good outsourcing model already in place. If you can email the finished PDF they willprint not only to your specifications but also courier it to your country. You need to give them the specs to get a quote though.

Note that they are not publishers but merely 'printing outsourcing company'. But Pragati is regarded as one of the best , if not the best printing set ups in this country.

Regards

Jagan
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Never knew that the best pilot, hero etc etc etc of the PAF, MM Alam was an SDRE type. :twisted:

This nugget is worth mentioning in the 30 sec over Saragodha article. :twisted:
Ani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ani »

Hey Avram,
I am personally in the printing outsourcing business. I have just started up, We are working with Asia's biggest printing company close to my home place. I would be glad to help you out or publish the book if you like.

You can contact me at: gtsglobal "at" gmail "dot" com

Regards
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Air Commodore Jasjit Singh (retd)
1965 war: The wrong lessons

http://www.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/10war1.htm
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

Thank you all so much gentlemen. I will also be forwarding the above information to some of my other contacts. Thank you again.
AS
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Air Commodore (retd) Jasjit Singh

1965 war: A reality check

http://www.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/17war.htm
Samir
Webmaster BR

Post by Samir »

Interesting piece by Jasjit Singh - a little spice for the "why didn't the PA carry on to Akhnur" question.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Samir wrote:Interesting piece by Jasjit Singh - a little spice for the "why didn't the PA carry on to Akhnur" question.
Probably because the PA campaign was actually being controlled by unkil. They did not want a full fedged war but only a scare to the Indian leadership after Nehru's death in 1964. They considered Indian leadership to be weak after Nehru's time and they wanted a Kashmir solution by forcing it in their favor.
Samir
Webmaster BR

Post by Samir »

A cross-post of one of Jagan's posts in another thread: (the latest issue of Vayu Aerospace Review carries the following articles on the 1965 war):

Tank Busting : An article on the initial days of ops by Air Marshal Trilochan Singh.

Pathankot Strike : first person account of the raid by Air Commodore Sajjad Haider of PAF

Nur Khan : The PAF CAS' recent revelation that the 65 War was entirely Pakistans fault

Chalees Saal Baad : A review of the India-Pakistan Air War of 1965 by Jagan Pillarisetti and Samir Chopra
fanne
BRF Oldie

Kudos to Jagan and Samir

Post by fanne »

http://us.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/26sp ... &file=.htm

The Rediff Special/PVS Jaganmohan and Samir Chopra

On a wing and a prayer

October 26, 2005

The Indian Air Force played a key role in the 1965 conflict. As part of our special series to mark the 40th year since that war, we bring you two excerpts from a seminal book on the subject, The India-Pakistan Air War of 1965, by PVS Jagan Mohan and Samir Chopra.
daulat
BRFite

Post by daulat »

sameer and jagan - loved the story, however says that bishnoi climbed to 300' and then began a dive. either he was seriously cool or there is a zero missing? AFAIK at 300' at those speeds a dive will not last very long... please illuminate
Samir
Webmaster BR

Post by Samir »

Daulat,

You are right, printer's devil strikes again. The figure should actually be 1500 feet - don't ask how it became 300. But I think there was some confusion between two different sources for this story and hence this error.

Thanks very much,
Samir
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/26war.htm

The Rediff Special/Samir Chopra and PVS Jagan Mohan
The Wolfpack in action
October 26, 2005

In this second extract from The India Pakistan Air War of 1965, we look at how four Gnats got into a dogfight with the superior Pakistani Sabres, and won.