IAF to Phase out MIG-25's on May 1st

Ajay K
BRFite

Post by Ajay K »

Here is another snap of the canopy.

http://www.simonward.com/build/adventur ... 5/wave.jpg

Do you see the gold color? May be used for some other purpose - heat dissipation. It is not normal tinted glass atleast the color.

Check out the gold tint in the Mig 1.42 canopy.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/mig142kk.jpg

The F-16 bubble canopy is made of polycarbonate advanced plastics material. Inside of the USAF F-16C/D canopy is coated with gold film to dissipate radar energy. In conjunction with radar-absorbing materials in air intake, this reduces frontal radar signature by 40 per cent. May be the russians already experiement with it in Mig-25 and then deployed it in Mig-1.42.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Would it have been possible to use the Foxbats in an ELINT role by attaching pods? When these planes penetrated the neighbors' airspaces a lot of radars must have lit up, these radars and their characteristics could then be recorded, classified, and studied. Also, the Foxbats would have been able to also gather intel on the state of alertness of the neighboring air forces and measure their response times to the airspace vioations.

I'm sure the IAF/RAW had fun with these planes.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

It was done. and dont think always of pak, to the north lie areas of great interest....the missions north of the himalays form the more interesting story if its ever told.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Singha wrote:... dont think always of pak...
I used the term neighbors :P
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

The full photo report by Sanjay Simha is now online

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... temId=3225
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Vick wrote:Would it have been possible to use the Foxbats in an ELINT role by attaching pods? When these planes penetrated the neighbors' airspaces a lot of radars must have lit up, these radars and their characteristics could then be recorded, classified, and studied. Also, the Foxbats would have been able to also gather intel on the state of alertness of the neighboring air forces and measure their response times to the airspace vioations.

I'm sure the IAF/RAW had fun with these planes.
All MiG-25R variants have Elint capability in the form of SRS-9 Virazh / Tangazh / Kub-3M / Shar-25 Elint systems, depending on the version and generation, with the dielectric panels in the nose. Apparently the IAF ones had no SLAR (MiG-25RBS/Sh). :(
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Not sure if this has'nt been posted already, but 'The Telegraph' reports that the Trisonics is reportedly converting to the MiG-21 Bison.
The Trisonics squadron...will now convert full time to MiG 21 Bisons, an upgrade of the MiG 21’s air defence fighters that are also due to be phased out.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060502/a ... 171245.asp
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Not sure if this has'nt been posted already, but 'The Telegraph' reports that the Trisonics is reportedly converting to the MiG-21 Bison.
DDM i think, uptill now only the 35 Sqn Rapiers is reported to convert to Bison. IMHO Bisons will not be used to equip new squadrons, as it is an upgrade program of existing airframes. So expect only MiG-21 sqns to be in line for Bisons.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Aditya G wrote:
DDM i think, uptill now only the 35 Sqn Rapiers is reported to convert to Bison. IMHO Bisons will not be used to equip new squadrons, as it is an upgrade program of existing airframes. So expect only MiG-21 sqns to be in line for Bisons.
No.35 uses MiG-21Ms, not the bis.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Wat?

No more broken windows in Pindi/I'bad?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

No.35 uses MiG-21Ms, not the bis.
True. I wonder which Bis sqn is being number plated to make available airframes for Rapiers. Will Rapiers retain the MiG-21M flight?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Jagan nice to know that one of these magnificient machines have come to Hyderabad. BTW are these two seaters exclusively used for training or they too participated in the operational missions?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Exclusively for training MNK. the second cockpit was placed where the camera bays would have been. and the two seater i believe is the only two seater in the IAF.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Why this was no ordinary aircraft
By Air Commodore Jasjit Singh
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Titanium is notoriously hard to machine and shape though. Hence, the Soviets opted for steel alloy for the Mig-25's airframe -- apparently the forming method they used for larger sheets of titanium produced rather brittle plates, so they went with good old nickel steel. Titanium was supposedly used in a few heat critical areas though.
Hence it is not cut or shaped at room temperature, instead in hot condition hence the toolings wear out very fast, because the tooling aquires the temp of titanium while in contact (such as shear blades, hold downs jigs fixtures etc.)

I had sold an LVD shear to Midhani to cut Ti alloys into sheet strips at higher than room temp
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

NRao wrote:Wat?

No more broken windows in Pindi/I'bad?
Have faith boss have faith.

Where there's a vacuum and where there are bulbs, there will always be broken windows.
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

JSnow,

Machining is at room temperature though I believe....using coolant in fact. There is one such shot in Battle of X Planes.
ameyk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ameyk »

for jagan sir!!!!

ImageImageImageImage

mig 25 walkaround
ameyk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ameyk »

for jagan sir!!!!

ImageImageImageImage

mig 25 walkaround
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Jagan wrote:Exclusively for training MNK. the second cockpit was placed where the camera bays would have been. and the two seater i believe is the only two seater in the IAF.
Thnaks Jagan i wish you were here.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ameyk wrote:for jagan sir!!!!

ImageImageImageImage

mig 25 walkaround
Oh wow, in the IAF Museum already? Thanks for the pics~

Jagan
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

Jagan wrote:
ameyk wrote:for jagan sir!!!!

ImageImageImageImage

mig 25 walkaround
Oh wow, in the IAF Museum already? Thanks for the pics~

Jagan
I think some business folks should lease the planes and offer near-space ride to willing customers who can shell out really big bucks like million dollars for a ride? Just like what the Russians are doing with their space stations. Just imagine the advertising gimick that says.....you can see sudden change from light to darkness and sudden appearance of the stars or whatever.

Just my thoughts.
Avram
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

how about - "Fly over enemy territory and smash windows in Pindi HQ buildings and be home in time for chai biskoot!"; now that I would pay for!
Neeraj B
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Neeraj B »

how about - "Fly over enemy territory and smash windows in Pindi HQ buildings and be home in time for chai biskoot!"; now that I would pay for!
Teasing is the worst form of boasting. Mig 25 served us well. Sure it did cause ripples over P'stan. But those were different days. These days there is an effort to be more cordial. Remember the CBMs that are underway. We are not there yet, but surely there would be peace in our sub-continent, insha allah. (No I am not a muslim). Have you met a unit, that just came down (Yol) after being deployed at Siachen for 8 months? I have, I have met the soilders with frost bites, and other stories to tell. (Point being, lets not slit each others throats). Having said that, it does not mean we should not be equipped/prepared.

On a different note, I say, we do need 2 sqds of Mig-31s. Y/day, I was watching a feature on Mig-25 and Mig-31 on Discovery Military. The Foxhound (Mig-31) can act as an awacs. Providing feed to aircrafts like M 2000, Jag, Mig 29, Su-30 and LCA, for strike. I am sure we can get 2 upgraded Sqds of Foxhounds in 1-2 yrs. The tri-sonic would be the best sqd to have it.

I agree with asprinzl, We should make hand over these Mig 25s to some private company, they can charge 8 Lacs ($20,000) for Mig 25 flights (Within our own airspace though :lol: ). And if we need these aircrafts (in the eventuality of a war), we may be able to use them again.
rht
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rht »

US has so many sattelites still they developed RAH-66 coz things like these give deep recce, thats one thing MiG-25 were expert at

we will miss such a fine machine which served our country, Foxbat YO!!!
ameyk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ameyk »

Jagan sir it appears that the mig 25 was there much before the official phase out

have more pics of my visit to the museum , the only problem is that my dialup connections tends to die out as soon as it rains ! :D but will surelly upload some more soon esspecially of the an-12 besides the mig 25
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... temId=3194

More pictures of the MiG-25 by Sanjay Simha. These were taken before the de-induction and shows all the operational aircraft as well as the lone non-operational one. So are there five, or six?

Ameyk, the IAF Museum ac is KP355 - I find it was still there in the deinduction ceremon on 1st May.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

A photographer's dream come true!

This also confirms that the IAF has atleast 3 different shades of gray for some of its a/c. the most notable examples being the Hs-748s, MiG-29s and the MiG-25R. An-32s, Il-76s, Bisons and Su-30MKIs maintain a uniform gray.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Sanjay had today sent me the pictures of the Foxbat from AFA (Dang! wish i was there). The aircraft is painted Silver!! Pics soon on BR *maybe by July 1st ??* had too many gallery updates this month..
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Since you were talking about the same for long, I thought that you'd be the first person next to the runway when it landed? :?:
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

rsingh wrote:
The SR-71 grows to three feet longer due to expansion from heat generated by air resistense and I am sure the Foxbat must have experienced somewhat similar metamorphisis.
A bit too much :?:
A MiG-25 pilot told me several years ago (in 1991 I think) that the top edge of the air intake next to the cockpit glows red at high speed.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Amitabh wrote:
rsingh wrote: A bit too much :?:
A MiG-25 pilot told me several years ago (in 1991 I think) that the top edge of the air intake next to the cockpit glows red at high speed.
I am also told if you fill up SR-71 on the runway it reeks oil leaks (just like Yezdi/Jawa Gear box)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

US has so many sattelites still they developed RAH-66 coz things like these give deep recce, thats one thing MiG-25 were expert at

we will miss such a fine machine which served our country, Foxbat YO!!!
you definitely got a point here.
one has to remember even the mighty US had to bring back the blackbird from the dead during the gulf war to carry out real time survelliance. if USAF thought that even the largest and most advanced constellation of survelliance satallites in the world was not sufficient to keep track of bombardment of Iraq,then you can guess where we stand.
"NO" satellite, no matter how advanced, is going to provide us with real time info as well as the foxbat did.
Also, an a/c gives us the option of choosing payloads to suit a particular mission,something that isn't possible with a sat.
Ajay K
BRFite

Post by Ajay K »

UNCONFIRMED**** Russia and China concluded an agreement to transfer twenty four MiG-31 FOXHOUND fighters to China in 1992. The agreement included a deal to manufacture up to 200 more inside China. The transfer cannot be confirmed in that NO MiG-31 aircraft have appeared in the PLAAF inventory at this time. U.S. intelligence sources indicate that the MiG-31 may be used by the PLAAF in an anti-satellite role by firing a specialized missile.
Source : http://www.softwar.net/plaaf.html