OG to the blood - Profile of Lt. Gen. M.A. Zaki

Imtiaz Ahmed
BRFite -Trainee

OG to the blood - Profile of Lt. Gen. M.A. Zaki

Post by Imtiaz Ahmed »

Thank you for providing the link, Rakesh. I salute Lt Gen Zaki and his family for their service to the motherland.

Two points:

1. I am not too impressed by the decision, per se, of Lt Gen Zaki's father to stay in India in 1947, though I applaud their prior military service and their service after 1947. The reason for my not being too impressed is that the family had property stakes in India that it stood to lose had it migrated. Patriotic reasons may still have been the dominant reason for staying back, but am not sure. It is not a big issue, but one that I cannot help pointing out.

2. It appears that Lt Gen Zaki never commanded a Division, yet commanded a Corps. Isn't that unusual?

[This message has been edited by Imtiaz Ahmed (edited 01-07-2000).]
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Re: OG to the blood - Profile of Lt. Gen. M.A. Zaki & fa

Post by Rupak »

Originally posted by Imtiaz Ahmed: It appears that Lt Gen Zaki never commanded a Division, yet commanded a Corps. Isn't that unusual? Imtiaz
He did. As per the biographical sketch he commanded 19 Infantry Division in 1986-87.
Imtiaz Ahmed
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Imtiaz Ahmed »

Thanks Rupak. I had not noticed the option to click to get his track record.

[This message has been edited by Imtiaz Ahmed (edited 01-07-2000).]
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Great stuff. I thought Gen. Zaki was in Kashmir for some time. I do remember seeing him on CNN or something. Kudos to his son, who seems to be doing well.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Originally posted by JE Menon: Great stuff. I thought Gen. Zaki was in Kashmir for some time. I do remember seeing him on CNN or something. Kudos to his son, who seems to be doing well.
I believe he was security advisor to the Governor around 1996-97. Therefater he was seriously injured in a car accident and retried from "military" life.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

This profile should be put up somewhere in BR. Another headache for you Rakesh.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy: The link was sent to me by Omer Zaki, whom I presume, looking from the family tree is one of the family. I was always under the impression that Zaki was killed in a helicopter crash. Thank heavens he didn't :)
Oh, thats nothing. I remember seeing a plaque at the Nampally Railway Station (in Hyderabad) dedicated to Lt Gen M A Zaki VrC..and thought he must have died in that accident....You can say that again "thanks Heavens".
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Rakesh, it was Gen Jameel Mahmood then Eastern Army Comdr who was killed in a heptr crash some years back. Coming to Gen Zaki, it's not generally known that he literally desertes his post as ADC to the President of India in order to join his bn at the front during the '62 invasion.19 Maratha his bn moved into Kameng to counter the Chinese. Zaki then a dashing Capt asked for permission to go back to his unit. On being refused he obtained President Radhakrishnan's blessings to report back to his bn then going into action.This was taken as a serious breach of discipline by military 'bureaucrats'but who can take disciplinary action against an officer willing to give up a cushy posting in Rashtrapati Bhawan to go into battle with his bn? This story was related to me by no less a person than the then Military Secretary to the President, Gen Harnarain Singh.
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

Wow, a martial tradition to be proud of ! k