Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh, IAF

member_201
BRFite

Re: Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh, IAF

Post by member_201 »

Jagan, yes Marshal Singh will also carry a baton. He is supposed to given an office in Race Course Road and I never knew this, but the term retired can never again be used for him. From now on till eternity, he will be known as Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

ACM, now Marshall of the Air Force Arjan Singh will remember two posters I made for his farewell party in Nagpur in 1968. One depicted him holding a Westland Wapiti with one hand and a SAM with the other. The next one had him astride a MiG-21. Why am I tickled? He asked for the posters and took them home with him! I was a 16 yr old airforce brat then.
Congratulations, Sir! We have seen many but you are the ONE!
bored_desi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bored_desi »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Victor:
ACM, now Marshall of the Air Force Arjan Singh will remember two posters I made for his farewell party in Nagpur in 1968. I was a 16 yr old airforce brat then.
Congratulations
<hr></blockquote><p> ;) . Well congratulations anyways. ummm so why did they give him the honor so late (better late then never but this late ???)
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Any pictures of the President putting on the rank badges on Arjan Singh?<p>
Regarding German army ranks wrt British<p>British German
Brigadier General Major
Maj. Gen General Lt.
Lt. Gen General
General Col. General
Field Marshal General Field Marshal<p>JAI JAI HO!
:cool:
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

http://www.the-week.com/22feb10/life1.htm<p>Man of the week
Arjan Singh<p><h2>Marshal magnificent</h2>
Once a nervous fighter pilot, then a hero,
Arjan Singh now graces the highest of Air Force echelon<p>Sandeep Phukan
<p>At 81, Arjan Singh walks erect very much like the fighter he was for three decades
Sukumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sukumar »

During WW2 the German ranks from colonel upwards were Colonel - Major General - Lieutenant General - General - Colonel General - Field Marshal. They skipped Briagadier General. Field Marshal was an operational post in the Wehrmacht. Hitler promoted many officers to 5 star rank in all three services to buy the loyalty of the Wehrmacht.<p>In the Soviet Army the ranks were modeled closely on the German army and were Colonel - Major General - Lieutenant General - General - Colonel General - Marshal. Marshal is again an operational rank and there have been plenty of them in the past. There is also a Marshal of the Soviet Union which is like a 6 star rank. The Navy equivalent is the Admiral of the Soviet Fleet as Gorshkov was. Stalin had the special super rank of Generalissimo.<p>During WW2 there were quite a few British Field Marshals (or 5 stars) who were operational commanders including Monty, Wavell, Mountbatten and Slim. The AMericans had Leahy, Nimitz, MacArthur and EIsenhower to name a few.
dbpatra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dbpatra »

Elevenses with BS <p>Sorties into the past<p>Arjan Singh, the first Marshal of the Indian Air Force shares reminiscences about his formidable flying career over tea and biscuits with Gaurav Raghuvanshi<p>http://www.business-standard.com/today/lunch.asp?Menu=16

Post by Guest »

“A few of these are still in service...” he paused, the quintessential defence man, not wanting to reveal too much. <p>I filled in the gap: “At Gwalior. The Mirages are also there,” I said almost alarming him with my awareness of something that was supposed to be confidential. <p>“You seem to be more in touch with the latest IAF than me. How is it that you know so much about the Air Force?” he asked me, almost suspicious. I
<p>If any of the BR Guys happen to meet him, go slow with your display of IAF knowledge. Will you. The Great man might get even more alarmed.<p>my awareness of something that was supposed to be confidential.
<p>who is he trying to fool?
AnantD
BRFite

Post by AnantD »

Better late than never. Great going from GOI for a well deserved honor. A great leader of men and fighter. Best Wishes to the new Marshall of the Air Force and his wife.<p>Jai Hind!
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Actually the ranks come as follows:<p>1. Major General Originated from Sargeant Major General.<p>2. Lieutenant General Being the next higher rank obviously.<p>3. General: well... just that. <p>4. No colonel generals in the british or indian armiees but it follows the same logic.<p>Incidentally the term General applied as Sargeant Major "In General" or "to the army".
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

More on Colonel Generals from the Week

http://www.the-week.com/22mar17/events1.htm#1
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Pennathur, the UK phased out the practice of automatically awarding a 5th star to the Chief of Defence Staff and service chiefs during the early to mid 1990s.

It was rightly argued that the rank ought to be reserved as recognition for outstanding wartime leadership. In general NATO has always tried to encourage the harmonisation of elements such as rank structures. It was always a bit jarring to our partners (some of whom commanded larger forces, a matter reinforced by our massive post-cold war cuts) that we had four serving 5-star officers while they had none.