Lt. Gen. Harbaksh Singh cremated

Bishwa
BRFite

Lt. Gen. Harbaksh Singh cremated

Post by Bishwa »

Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh cremated <P> EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE <P> NEW DELHI, NOV 15: ``In 1965 after winning the war<BR> against Pakistan, India was returning Pakistani territory. My<BR> father ordered that all mosques that had been damaged in<BR> shelling be repaired, repainted and offered prayers before<BR> handing them back.''<P> This is how Harmala Gupta, daughter of Lieutenant General<BR> Harbaksh Singh, former Army commander western<BR> command, who passed away on Sunday remembers him. He<BR> was 85. As the bugles sounded the Last Post, the mortal<BR> remains of Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh were consigned to flames<BR> with full military honours at the Brar square cremation ground<BR> on Monday. The pyre was lit by his elder son-in-law<BR> Dipankar Gupta. General Singh is survived by his wife and<BR> two daughters Harmala and Deepa.<P> Lt Gen Singh, had been awarded a Padma Vibhushan,<BR> Padma Bhushan and a Vir Chakra for gallantry and had<BR> commanded the western command for six years from 1963<BR> to 1969, leading India to victory in the western theatre in the<BR> 1965 Indo-Pak war.<P> ``He came from a distinguished family of soldiersand had the<BR> unique distinction of participating in battle as a young platoon<BR> commander, a company commander, a Batallion, Brigade<BR> and then as the Army commander. He had been taken a<BR> prisoner of war for more than three years in the second world<BR> war,'' Brig (retd) Kanwaljit Singh, a cousin said. ``His father<BR> Captain Harnam Singh was a doctor in the Army and even<BR> his elder brother Lt Gen Gurbaksh Singh was an Army<BR> officer,'' Paramvir Singh, a nephew said.<P> Several senior Army officers, both serving and retired were<BR> present at the cremation ground to pay respects to the late<BR> general who was given a 21 gun salute.<BR>
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Re: Lt. Gen. Harbaksh Singh cremated

Post by Muppalla »

My respectful homage to the great man.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Condolences to the family,<P>Salutations to the warrior.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

A great warrior, a true Indian and a proud Sikh. <P>If Indira Gandhi and Maneckshaw had not cheated him, He would have been the C in C in place of Maneckshaw.<P>------------------<BR>Paul
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

A Soldier never dies..He lives on in our memories.<P>With Homage
Peeyoosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peeyoosh »

Well said Jagan, my condolences to the family.<P>Peeyoosh
Vinod Ji
BRFite

Post by Vinod Ji »

lucky were those medals to have that chest great was the head to have those noble thoughts..<BR>
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

My condolences to the family.<P>He was widely regarded in army circles as one of the best battle field commanders.<P>He was the only senior general to show nerve and guts and stand behind the stand of 4th Moun. Div at Assal Uttar in 1965. Doubts about Assal Uttar were expressed by the corps commander, Army Chief and Vice Chief.<P>
Sumant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sumant »

My homage to another great son of India.<BR>May his tribe increase.<BR>sumant
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Chitre<BR> <BR> Lt. Gen. Harbaksh Singh commanded 4 corps for only 4 or 5 days which Lt. Gen. Kaul was "seriously ill" lying in his bed in Delhi. Kaul made a "miriculus recovery" and came back to assume command. Lt. Gen. Harbaksh Singh was moved to command 33 or 32 corps.
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Vikrant<P> I agree with you<P>I remember my dad telling his friends ( he was in the 1962 war and I dont remember if he was at the brigade or div HQ) that when they heard on the wirless that Kaul is coming back, the brigade or div commander remarked that " Now even God cannot save us".
mohankk
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohankk »

<BR> My heartfelt condolences to this brave son of India.<P>mohankk
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It may be worth keeping copies of this thread. It will surely need to go into some sort of archive eventually - at least the info about the general.
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

My salute to the great soldier.<P>Karthik Chandramouli