Tibetans in 1971 War : Phantoms of Chittagong

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Tibetans in 1971 War : Phantoms of Chittagong

Post by Jagan »

What many people knew but never opened up to talk about:

http://www.rediff.com/news/2003/jan/08spec.htm
A few years ago, I had the opportunity to meet the Tibetan Dapon responsible for the operation, but he was unwilling to speak except in general terms.

An Indian web site [Bharat Rakshak] provides more information on the SFF's achievements in Bangladesh: 'With war right around the corner, the SFF was given several mission plans, including the destruction of the Kaptai Dam and other bridges. The Inspector General urged that the SFF be used to capture Chittagong, but this was found not favourable, since SFF members did not have artillery or airlift support to conduct a mission of that magnitude. After three weeks of border fighting, the SFF divided its six battalions into three columns and moved into East Pakistan on 03 December 1971.'
Rajit
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Tibetans in 1971 War : Phantoms of Chittagong

Post by Rajit »

SFF..my favorite topic....but damned if one can get anything more than a sliver of info on these guys.

Incidentally I had mentioned this on the forum earlier...but one of the SFF guys got an SC during this times investiiture ceremony
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Originally posted by Rajit Ojha:
SFF..my favorite topic....but damned if one can get anything more than a sliver of info on these guys.
Rajit, there's quite a bit more available when you enquire about the Vikas Regiment.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

I heard about some details of VrC awards to Indian Officers in the SFF. I will try and post em soon. Also during kargil we had two SMs given to members of the 'Vikas Regiment' - Not to mention Outlook's boxed news item on the same.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Okay, here are the SFF Awards for the 1971 Conflict

PVSM
Hon Maj Gen Sujan Singh Uban, AVSM (Retd) IC-1003
<u>Citation</u>
Maj Gen SS Uban was deputed to carry out a hazardous Operation in Bangladesh with his force. His force was airlifted and thereafter operated independently and entirely on a limited air supply in most difficult terrain. The mission allocated was sucessfully completed. This resulted in the libaration of the chittagong Hill tracts as well as breaking up of Mizo hostile camps organised by Pakistan. The sucess of the op was largely due to the initative, drive and sound planning by Maj Gen Uban

Vir Chakra
Lt Col Prasanta Coomar Purkayashat IC-2486 (Garh Rif)
Maj Raj Kumar Malhotra IC-20824 (4 Para)
Maj Harish Chandra Sharma IC-21075 (Jat)
Maj Savendra Singh Negi IC-22805 (Gren)
Asst Company Commander G G Valankar

Sena Medal
Capt Ugam Singh IC-22297
Company Commander SK Suri
Asst Company Commander Baldev Singh
Asst Company Commander Man Singh Gurung
Asst Company Commander Surinder Nath Khanna

Vishist Seva Medal
Lt Col Krishan Lal Vasudeva IC-7203 (Arty)
samw
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samw »

Very informative article; thanks for posting it.
Harsh
BRFite -Trainee
Location: The land of beer and honeys (...and that apple pie!)

Post by Harsh »

great article
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Jagan, The citation for the PVSM reads like a short version of a great achievement. It sure beats teh Chindit tales of WWII. Any possiblity in looking at the 1971 war history and/or contacting some of the retd. people to pen the account?
samw
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samw »

Here is a quote from BR about the SFF
With the elections passing away without any major incidents, only 60 SFF commandos were retained for counter-terrorist duties. However, over 500 Army troops were sent to Sarasawa for counter-terrorist training. They formed a elite new detachment, known as the Special Group and they fall under the command of the SFF Inspector General. Surprisingly, all Tibetans were removed from the Special Group and returned to Chakrata.
According to this all Tibetans were removed from the SFF. Does that imply there aren't any more ethnic Tibetans in the SFF?

Also, what about the Indo-Tibetan Border Police? Does this force mainly have ethnic Tibetans?

Thanks in advance,
Sam.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Ramana,

I will check up other books on 71 and see wht they say on Chittagong ops. I did read one account of the SFF Troops in the CHT area - but i dont have it anymore. Check with rupak to see if he has a copy of it.

Sam,

I think the statement meant removal of Tibetans from the Sarasawa area and not the SFF. AFAIK the Tibetans still form the SFF - taking part in the Kargil fightinng recentlly.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

There is one ACIG Forum member whose dad was in the SFF. I am sure we can ask him to come over to BRF.

From: http://www.acig.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=945&forum=16&start=9
hi everyone,
this is my first post so plz overlook any mistakes.i wanna know bout special frontier force consist of soldiers of tibetan origin like me.(half tibetan):)my father was in that unit and from i have gleaned from his periodic nostlgic ourbursts.it seemed a competent unit.its main task was to infiltrate china during wartime and peacetime.dad even took part in six missions sometimes disguised as shephards and namads.so i am proud of him.he also took part in 1971 war in bangladesh.hehehehehe
so plz anybody having relevant links bout this unit,post me .
Check his profile :

http://www.acig.org/phpBB/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=350

we have his email and ICQ id there - i will email him but somebody can do it earlier then better.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

ok, i have sent him an email - hopefully he will join BRF.
Rajit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajit »

Jagan

The 2 SMs in Kargil maybe 3...from rediff and myiris.

IC-46723 Capt. Harbir Singh Sikh Li, 5 Vikas
IC-50074 Major Gurjeet Singh Punjab, 5 Vikas
57867 Coy Leader Chhombe 5 Vikas

Would be amazing if you could get the citiations for these guys, and the SC awardee of this year:-)
Rajit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajit »

Addendum

61614 Asst Leader Tashi Phontsok 5 Vikas
Sena Medal

2 Srdarjis and 2 Tibetans.....I guess special forces dont come in a more exotic flavor!