Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passes away

Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

WELLINGTON (TN): Former Army Chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passed away at Military Hospital in Wellington, the Defence Ministry said on Friday.

He was seriously ill and was undergoing treatment for a lung disease.

Manekshaw, who had led India to victory in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, had developed "acute broncho pneumonia" with associated complications and his condition had been serious for the past four days.

Manekshaw assumed charge of the Indian Army, as the 8th Chief of Army Staff, on June 07, 1969. Born in Amritsar, Punjab in April 1914, he completed his schooling in Amritsar and Sherwood College, Nainital. He then joined the first batch of 40 cadets at Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehra Dun on 01 October 1932. He passed out of the IMA in December 1934 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Indian Army. He held several regimental assignments and was first attached to the Royal Scouts and later to the 12 Frontier Force Rifles.

Manekshaw succeeded General Kumaramangalam as Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in June 1969.

For his selfless service to the nation, he was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1972 and was conferred with the honorary rank of Field Marshal in January 1973. He retired a fortnight later on 15 January 1973, after completing nearly four decades of military service.
achit
BRFite

Re: Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passes away

Post by achit »

we have lost one of our best.

Rest In Peace.

Jai Hind.
ranganathan
BRFite

Post by ranganathan »

May his soul rest in peace.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Thank you sir for your contributions to India!! Many you RIP. The nation will be grateful to you forever!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

You are an Inspiration. RIP
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Sad day.

May he rest in peace.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

Field Marshal Sam Manekshawji may the heavens shower its riches on you. You have done your part for mother India, I hope the daugthers and sons of mother India carry on this fight in your memory.

These words surmize the spirit of men like Field Marshal Sam Manekshawji.

Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Lyrics
Hindi Song Title: Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan
Movie: HAQUEEQAT & Singer: MOHD RAFI

Kar Chale Ham Fida, Jan-o-tan Saathiyon..
Ab Tumhare Hawale, Watan Saathiyon..

Kar Chale Ham Fida, Jan-o-tan Saathiyon,
Ab Tumhare Hawale, Watan Saathiyon,
Ab Tumhare Hawale, Watan Saathiyon,

Saans Tham Thi Gayi, Nabz Jam Tho Gayi,
Phir Bhi Badathe Kadam Ko Na Rukh Ne Diya,
Kat Gaye Sar Hamaare, Tho Kuch Gam Nahin,
Sar Himalay Ka Hamne Na Jhuk Ne Diya,
Marte Marte Raha Baanq Pan Saathiyon,

Zinda Rehene Ke Mausam, Bahut Hai Magar,
Jaan Dene Ki Rut Roz Aati Nahin,
Husn Aur Ishq Dono Ko Ruswa Kare,
Woh Jawaani Jo Khoon Mein Naahathi Nahin,
Aaj Dharti Bani Hai Dulhan Saathiyon,

Raah Qurbaaniyon Ki Na Veeran Ho,
Tum Sajaathe Hi Rehna Naye Kaafile,
Fathe Ka Jashn Is Jashn Ke Baad Hein,
Zindagi Maut Se Mil Rahi Hai Gale,
Bandlo Apne Sar Se Kafan Saathiyon,

Khench Do Apne Khoon Se Zameen Par Lakeer,
Is Tarah Aane Ne Paaye Na Raawan Koyi,
Thod Do Haath Agar Haath Utne Lage,
Chune Paaye Na Sita Ka Daaman Koyi,
Ram Bhi Tum, tumhi Lakshman Saathiyon,
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

May his soul Rest in Peace.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

:cry: A gentleman warrior.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Sad day indeed.
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

RIP Sir.
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

It's a sad day - to me seemed India's Warrior Mahatma.

But perhaps we can honour his memory by celebrating the victories he led us to... and honoring also the men who served with and after him.
sevoke
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sevoke »

RIP General.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

May his sould rest in peace.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

So long old soldier. The country men you leave behind will never forget you.
amolvp
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amolvp »

A sad day indeed.. a great warrior..a great human ..an indian has passed away

"And down through the glen did I walk again
And my heart with grief was sore
For I parted then with valiant men
whom I never shall see more.
But we bear your name and bring your fame
And to your cause we still hold true
And the Lance’s men will ride once again "
--Tarel Yurn
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

A Brave Son of India and a great war hero. A day of mourning. May his soul rest in peace.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

RIP Sir
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

My greatest regards to the great and unimitable Sam Bahadur.

Your contributions make this nation forever indebted to you. Your humor, absolute bravery, and spirit, and sense of devotion to India will be remembered forever.

May there be more Sam Bahadur's, you will be remembered for 1000s of years.
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

Great soldier.

God rest his soul.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

The best of the best.

RIP, sir.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

May God bless his soul. For all the services he offered the nation, I hope we'll remember him for a very long time to come. The aura that Field Marshal Manekshaw had was simply incredible.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

May God Bless His Soul! He has done his country and his people proud! We will never forget!

Jai Hind!
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

R-I-P Sir.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

May God welcome him with open arms!

May our nation forever remember a true patriot and a soldier who put honor and duty above all.

Here is to Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw, the protector and savior of our nation in a time of dark hours.

Rest in peace and god speed in your next life or the life beyond.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

He was summoned to a meeting of the Cabinet where, as he recalled later, everyone present at the meeting was vying with the others to present to the prime minister his grasp of the situation and offering one suggestion after another as to what should be done. After hearing most of the speakers, the prime minister enquired whether the officiating army chief, until then a silent spectator, had something to say. "I am afraid they are enacting Hamlet without the Prince," he said. "I will now tell you exactly what has happened, and how I intend to deal with the situation." He then proceeded to do so.
He took over 4 Corps on 28th November 1962 on promotion to lieutenant general, and the same day addressed a conference of what must surely have been a very shaken group of staff officers. He entered the room with his usual jaunty step, looked as if he were meeting each eye trained on him and said, ‘Gentleman, I have arrived! There will be no more withdrawals in 4 Corps, thank you;' and walked out. But the charisma that surrounds the man had preceded him and soldier and officer alike knew the 'chosen one' had arrived and henceforth all would be well. It was as if the dark and oppressive atmosphere had suddenly been lightened and Sam was the bearer of the light.
he once met Lieutenant General Kulwant Singh, at that time commanding Western Army and an awe-inspiring man, in a jacket that could best he described as a cross between a regulation shirt and bush shirt. When the army commander pointed this out he was asked: "Have you come to see my formation or my dress?"
Bengal in those days was a very troubled state where anarchy was prevalent, and law and order was almost on the way out. Sam was traveling to Dum Dum airport, Calcutta, once when he found the road blocked for traffic by a huge crowd being harangued by one person. The outrider and the staff officer accompanying him both advised a detour, but this would have meant running away and would have been noticed by the locals. So he got out of his staff car instead, and started walking up to the speaker who, he discovered to his disquiet as he approached, was a 'huge fellow, well over six feet tall.' Anyway, hiding his mounting uneasiness, he put his hand out and announced, 'I am Sam Manekshaw.' This unsettled the other person somewhat as he had probably anticipated an argument. He too, put his hand out and mumbled his name. He was then asked to clear the road, as otherwise 'I shall miss my plane.' The speaker, by now completely confused, hastened to obey, and the last glimpse the army commander had of his latest acquaintance was of that worthy helping to clear the road.
On 22nd February 1942, occurred the much publicised event when Sam was wounded. The retreat through the Burma jungle ended abruptly for him on 22nd February 1942, when seven bullets from a Japanese machine gun whipped through his body. The young captain who had just led two companies in the courageous capture of a vital hill was awarded the Military Cross. "We made an immediate recommendation," a senior officer explained, "because you can't award a dead man the Military Cross."
His mastery of detail was fantastic and, as I was to learn later, he could quote an answer given verbally or in writing months previously to correct someone who was saying something else. A battalion employed in the Mizo Hills, paying perhaps a little more attention to the welfare of its troops and, in the process, a little less than desirable to the operational side received a rude reminder that 'someone up there' was watching, very keenly, every move that was made. A parcel of bangles was delivered to the commanding officer with the compliments of the army commander with a cryptic note: 'If you are avoiding contact with the hostile give these to your men to wear.” Needless to say, the next few weeks saw a flurry of activity by this battalion resulting in another, more soothing message: 'send the bangles back.'
When the wife of a former army chief asked Manekshaw how he managed to remember the first names of most army wives, the field marshal remarked there are two things no honourable man should forget: His wife's birthday and the first name of the women around.
In the meantime, Manekshaw’s boat had got working and he was already back safe and sound. In a spontaneous gesture the smartly uniformed “Sam Bahadur” hugged my towel-clad father and uttered: “You are a bloody bahadur civilian, my friend.” A cocky junior standing close by had the temerity to say: “Is this little island really worth all this risk, sir?” Pat came the reply from a glaring Manekshaw: “Every inch of Indian territory is worth it, you idiot!”
Just before the Bangladesh operations in December 1971, the then prime minister Indira Gandhi [Images] asked Manekshaw ,who was the Army Chief then, "General are you ready" (for the war). Pat came the reply from the dapper officer, "I am always ready sweetie." Indira was not unpleased, nor offended.

On another occasion, Indira asked him whether he was planning to take over the country. Pointing to his long nose, the General replied: "I don't use it to poke into other's affairs."

When Indira asked him to go to Dhaka and accept the surrender of Pakistani forces, Manekshaw declined, magnanimously saying that honour should go to his Army commander in the East (Lt Gen Jagjit Singh Aurora).

Manekshaw said he would only go if it were to accept the surrender of the entire Pakistani army.
The Field Marshal's wit was legendary. Once on a visit to his unit as Commanding Officer he asked what action was taken against a man who contracted veneral disease and when he was told the man's head was shaved off, he roared. "Shaved off?

Dammit. he didn't do it with his head."
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Dixit also recounts the delightful episode of Mrs Gandhi chiding General Manekshaw for drinking during military briefings, to which he replied, "Madam, the brand name of the whisky is Black Dog, which [President] Yahya Khan drinks. I am quite sure that I shall overdrink him and outfight him. Please do not get angry."
There is a very thin line between being dismissed and becoming a Field Marshal. In 1971, when Pakistan cracked down in East Pakistan, hundreds and thousands of refugees started pouring into India, into West Bengal, Assam and Tripura. The Prime Minister held a Cabinet meeting in her office. The External Affairs Minister Sardar Swaran Singh, the Agriculture Minister, Mr. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmad, the Defence Minister, Babu Jagjivan Ram and the Finance Minister, Yashwant Rao Chavan were present. I was then summoned.

A very angry, grim-faced Prime Minister read out the telegrams from the Chief Ministers of West Bengal, Assam and Tripura. She then turned around to me and said, “What are you doing about it?”

And I said, “Nothing, it’s got nothing to do with me. You didn’t consult me when you allowed the BSF, the CRP and RAW to encourage the Pakistanis to revolt. Now that you are in trouble, you come to me. I have a long nose. I know what’s happening.”

I then asked her what she wanted me to do.

She said, “I want you to enter Pakistan.”

And I responded, “That means war!”

She said, “I do not mind if it is war.”

“Have you read the Bible?”, I said.

The Foreign Minister, Sardar Swaran Singh asked, “What has Bible got to do with this?”

I explained, that the first book, the first chapter, the first words, the first sentence God said was, “Let there be light” and there was light. Now you say, “Let there be war” and there will be war, but are you prepared? I am certainly not. This is the end of April. The Himalayan passes are opening and there can be an attack from China if China gives us an ultimatum.

The Foreign Minister asked, “Will China give an ultimatum?” And I said, “You are the Foreign Minister, you tell me”. I told them that my armoured division and two of my infantry divisions were away. One in the Jhansi/Babina area, the other in Samba and the third one in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. I mentioned that I will require all the road space, all the railway wagons, the entire railway system to move these formations to the operational areas and that harvesting was in progress in the Punjab and UP and they would not be able to move the harvest which would rot; and I pointed out to the Agriculture Minister that it wouldn’t be my responsibility if there was a famine. Then I said, “My armoured division, which is my big striking force is supposed to have 189 tanks operational. I have got only 11 tanks that are fit to fight.”

The Finance Minister, who is a friend of mine asked, “Sam why only 11?”

So I told him, “Because you are the Finance Minister. I have been asking you for money for over a year and you say you haven’t got it!”

And finally I turned around to the Prime Minister and said that the rains were about to start in East Pakistan and when it rains there, it pours and when it pours, the whole countryside is flooded. The snows are melting, the rivers would become like oceans. If you stand on one bank, you can’t see the other. All my movement would be confined to roads. The Air Force, because of climatic conditions would not be able to support me. Now Prime Minister, give me your orders. The grim Prime Minister with her teeth clenched said, “The Cabinet will meet again at four o’clock”.

The members of the Cabinet started walking out. I being the junior most was the last to go and as I was leaving, she said,”Chief, will you stay back?”

I turned around and said, “Prime Minister, before you open your mouth, may I send you my resignation on grounds of health, mental or physical?”

She said, “Every thing you told me is true”.

“Yes! It is my job to tell you the truth” I responded, “and it is my job to fight, it is my job to fight to win and I have to tell you the truth.”

She smiled at me and said, “All right Sam, you know what I want?”

I said, “Yes, I know what you want!”
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Then one day, a worried Mrs Gandhi asked him to come to Parliament House and "looked me straight into my eyes and said you are my problem,'' he said.

Shaken up, Manekshaw, the hero of the 1971 Indo-Pak conflict, said "I put my nose next to hers and said what do you think ?''

She said "you can't. "

"Do you think I am so incompetent? " Manekshaw replied.

"I didn't mean that Sam. You wouldn't,'' he recalled Mrs Gandhi as having argued.

The former army chief said he related a ``little jingle'' to the prime minister,
"you mind your own business and I'll mind mine. You kiss your own sweetheart and I'll kiss mine. I don't interfere politically as long as nobody interferes with me in the army''.
In 1967 I joined his staff at Kolkata. Soon after my arrival I sent a paper up for his signature with the file note, "The Army Commander may sign if he approves." Within 10 minutes Sam breezed into my cabin holding my file at arm’s length, asking, "Is this offending file yours? What do you mean by saying ‘the Army Commander may sign if he approves?’ What do you think I have brought you here for? If you consider that I must sign this paper, just say so and I will sign!" He had ensured that I was not diminished in the eyes of my intervening superiors, and that I was encouraged to take decisions even on his behalf. During my service of 35 years I rarely came across officers who went to such lengths to groom their subordinates.
In November 1971, when we were awaiting orders from the government, Manekshaw addressed a huge gathering of soldiers all keyed up to advance into Pakistan. He very forcefully stressed that we must treat all women in Pakistan with great respect and consideration. In the middle of his address, he suddenly pointed to a burly soldier of the Sikh Light Infantry, "O, tera dhiyan kithe wey! Yad rakhin Pakistan vich sarian zenanian terian Mawan te bhainan hon gian!" (Hey, what are you thinking of! Remember to treat all women in Pakistan like your mother and sisters). The impact was instant and electric, and the message went home.
Manekshaw also re-emphasised the dignity of soldiering in the corridors of power in New Delhi. On a rather warm day the Defence Secretary , Harish Sarin, a very powerful civil servant, upon entering the Ministry’s conference room said to a Colonel sitting close to a window, "You there, open that window!" Before the Colonel could get up came a sharp "Sit down" came from Manekshaw, who had also just entered from another door. Turning to the Secretary, he said, "Mr. Secretary, don’t you ever address one of my officers in that tone of voice. You may say, "Sam, would you please open that window, and I will open the window for you. That officer is a Colonel, and not ‘You there’."
Last edited by Gerard on 27 Jun 2008 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Parmatma inki aatma ko shanti de
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

A soldier's soldier if there was one! Sam Bahadur Amar Rahe!
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Thank you General! Rest in peace.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

A Giant passes away.
May His legacy inspire a new generation of Sam Bahadurs.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Thank you once again sir.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Thank you sir. May your Soul rest in peace!
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

RIP Sam Bahadur

Post by g.sarkar »

Regret to report Rediff says "Field Marshal Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw, whose military victory in the 1971 Indo-Pak war led to the creation of Bangladesh, died at the Military Hospital at Wellington in Tamil Nadu on Friday. He was 94."
Sad news if this is true. RIP FM Sam Bahadur.
http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/jun/27sam.htm
Gautam
rocky
BRFite

Post by rocky »

We are truly orphaned today.
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

A great Soldier, Human Being and a true leader

Rest in Peace General

A true Soldier and a true leader who led the country in the dark times.
rkrao
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rkrao »

Thank you Sir
Anantha
BRFite

Post by Anantha »

Thank You from a grateful nation.
niran
BRF Oldie