Indian Railways Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Railways Thread

Post by Picklu »

kvraghav wrote:Piklu, you know about profit booking? which usually follows a rally
Single largest intra day fall in last 10 months immediately after rail budget "on profit booking"? :roll:

And the market is in down today as well. Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck .............
Last edited by Picklu on 09 Jul 2014 14:11, edited 2 times in total.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Supratik wrote: I am not very high on HSR as I feel the existing system should get priority to develop to international std. However, if it can be done with minimum public finances I don't see any problem.
HSR is a 10 years sustained agenda on economic front without going into other issues even including FDI vendor financing.
Lot can change in the next 10 years which will include multiple state and central election. Which is why I am not so keen on it. As the honourable minister himself said there are projects hanging for last 30 years.

And then what is the ROI for this HSR? There has to be huge subsidy to make it viable which the vendor will simply take away without any benefit like local manufacture without royalty etc. For China it made (limited) sense as they simply stole the IP and continued local manufacture providing job. We are talking of importing rakes from Germany!

Right now, union budget provides 30k crore per annum (AFAIK) budgetary support to keep IR viable. What kind of union budgetary support we are talking about to provide profit guarantee to the vendor for developing and running HSR? Without profit guarantee, No FDI will come otherwise, plain and simple.

There will be a very small segment of beneficiary of HSR due to high price even after massive subsidy. Do you think it is right to spend so much subsidy for such a small beneficiary population just for the sake of H&D?
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

So, if the main plank of HSR goes away, what remains in this budget? Usual - safety, PPP, cleanliness, station upgrade etc etc. Same has been talked about lot in the past and nothing happened.

What the share market and the shrewd businessmen are seeing is that the main economic viability part of IR is being left alone

1. No discussion on dedicated freight corridor or enlargement of the scope even though it would need same amount of land as HSR diamond quad at a fraction of cost and time to implement giving real impetus to country's progress in commerce, transport, manufacture and economy within the next 5 years i.e. before the next election cycle.
2. No discussion on improving IR financially by taking systematic measure like railway tariff authority
3. No proposal to time bound auto increment of tariff similar to petrol, diesel etc to cut off the existing subsidy burden (some platitudes have been given like keeping the subsidy to 23 paisa per passenger km but no concrete proposal as in how)
4. No discussion on up-gradation of existing infra to handle more volume and avg speed (9 sector will have higher speed - which 9 sector? when? how?)

Have we already forgotten the various similar promises of Alooji, Nikamma, Didi? This budget has an uncanny similarity with those budgets in studiously avoiding a mention of timeline, concrete measurable SLA like end goal and financial and procedural route map to achieve those promises.

Had expected way more from NaMoji for this. I am not disappointed about the day to day operation of govt as it is supposed to happen away from the public eye in most of the cases but presenting budget in the parliament is a major public communication event about the vision of the govt. This budget has been uninspiring on that account.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Any data on occupancy rate in railways ?

We always hear that getting tickets is like winning lottery. Then what % seats in 3AC , 2AC, 2AC-CC classes remain vacant?

This needs to be looked into seriously from revenue PoV.
muraliravi
BRF Oldie

Post by muraliravi »

Rahul Mehta wrote:Any data on occupancy rate in railways ?

We always hear that getting tickets is like winning lottery. Then what % seats in 3AC , 2AC, 2AC-CC classes remain vacant?

This needs to be looked into seriously from revenue PoV.
In my experience, on key routes (in fact on most routes), if you are looking to book less than 2 weeks before your travel date, no chance of getting a ticket in any class of travel (during peak season make that 1 month).

But if you are planning ahead and can book it 2 months in advance, you wont have trouble getting a ticket on any class.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

safety, cleanliness, station upgrade etc - every Govt has talked about it. It is upto implementation.

DFC is still not fully awarded. So have to wait for the process to be completed before other corridors can be taken up and multilateral funding agencies approached.

Railway tariff already linked to fuel by previous govt. Present govt continuing with same policy.

Upgradation of existing system taken up in more sectors.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote: HSR is a 10 years sustained agenda on economic front without going into other issues even including FDI vendor financing.
Lot can change in the next 10 years which will include multiple state and central election. Which is why I am not so keen on it. As the honourable minister himself said there are projects hanging for last 30 years.
Are you serious ? ANY large scale capacity addition is a long term exercise. Which basically means that things can change. What sort of argument is that ?

If your argument is taken at face value (I am not doing so) -- this would preclude ANY long term project.
And then what is the ROI for this HSR? There has to be huge subsidy to make it viable which the vendor will simply take away without any benefit like local manufacture without royalty etc.
Isnt that rather presumptive ? Without any idea what so ever of the numbers, how is it remotely possible to do a RoI analysis ? A HSR has numerous benefits in a country like India.

Please go through this at leisure, clearly some one has put together a FAQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_India

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTT ... _India.pdf

If you wish to contest these. Please go ahead, but a blanket statement of this type is does not add any value to the system.
There will be a very small segment of beneficiary of HSR due to high price even after massive subsidy. Do you think it is right to spend so much subsidy for such a small beneficiary population just for the sake of H&D?
On that logic, we should not even make airports right ? Or anything like that ?

Seriously.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote:So, if the main plank of HSR goes away, what remains in this budget? Usual - safety, PPP, cleanliness, station upgrade etc etc. Same has been talked about lot in the past and nothing happened.
I am not sure what your problem with the "usual" is, is it that usual is pointless ? Or because other have talked about it and failed
What the share market and the shrewd businessmen are seeing is that the main economic viability part of IR is being left alone
No there is no such data. This is merely your view. Quite unfounded frankly.
1. No discussion on dedicated freight corridor or enlargement of the scope
As I asked you on the other thread, I really wonder which rail budget have you been talking off. Because in this rail budget

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City ... 025899.cms

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/mumbai- ... s/15432162

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ind ... 038792.cms
2. No discussion on improving IR financially
Surely you are joking Mr Picklu?

Many resource generation and tariff rationalization plans w.r.t. fuel costs have been talked off.

3. No proposal to time bound auto increment of tariff similar to petrol, diesel etc to cut off the existing subsidy burden (some platitudes have been given like keeping the subsidy to 23 paisa per passenger km but no concrete proposal as in how)
Interesting bait and switch. On one hand you say **nothing** has been done on the other **no detailed proposals** -- so you admit you are incorrect in trying to project your pet peeves, and have nothing to them than to say "not enough detail for me" -- I am truly disappointed they did not send you the detailed PPT.

public communication event about the vision of the govt. This budget has been uninspiring on that account.
Really given your long litany of woes about lack of details, I am surprised you have the chutpaz to claim that this lacks vision, when your entire set of complaints are "they are just talking about stuff"

The talking about stuff they want to do is called vision, btw.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Has anyone heard anything about the DFC in the budget or from GOI. It remains the most important railway project India has started but cannot seem to get off the ground. HSR is cool and everything, but DFC is vastly more important. I say for now divert the token Rs 100 crore from HSR to DFC. It will be better for the economy.

It is simply too early to depend on the whole PPP/FDI route to run the railways. IR is not a complete dinosaur like the AAI and there a heaps of good people there still. It is simply not professionally run at all. Find good people empower them to get things done in a time frame, give them a dedicated budget that cannot be blocked and things can turn around. Sreedharan came from IR after all.

Good write up below putting in another plug for relentless focus on the DFC.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/dpoB3yj ... udget.html
First, the bullet train dream. Bullet trains, travelling faster than 250 kmph, are, well, a seductive concept, but the fact is that only two lines in the world—one in Paris and the other in Japan—actually break even. Bullet trains that China has invested in run up staggering losses. The upfront investment is too high, and there is a limit to what passengers will pay for their tickets, so recovering costs may take decades, if they are recovered at all. The railway minister himself admitted in his speech that the investment would be “`60,000 crore for introducing one bullet train alone”. `60,000 crore! And this when, “(The Railways’) surplus, after paying obligatory dividend and lease charges, was…`602 crore in the current financial year.” But, of course, as Gowda put it, “it is the wish and dream of every Indian that India runs a bullet train as early as possible.”
Ok, now for the bullet trains’ slower cousins—the high-speed trains (160-200 kmph). Gowda wants to introduce them in nine sectors. Fair enough. But he misses the most economical and smartest way to do it.
Let’s go back to the basics. The Indian Railways makes its profits from transporting freight, and these profits are used to subsidise the passenger business. Yet, freight trains get stepmotherly treatment from the Railways. They are not timetable trains and spend possibly 50% of their travel time hanging around for the lines to clear. No wonder 70% of freight traffic has shifted to roads, even though road transport is more expensive and less environment-friendly. Hence the concept of Dedicated Freight Corridors (DFCs), railway lines only for freight trains, connecting important commercial centres of India. This is the most crucial project that the Indian Railways are working on right now, yet Gowda mentioned it only once in his speech.
Two of the six corridors planned—the Western DFC (Delhi-Mumbai) and the Eastern DFC (Ludhiana-Kolkata)—are targeted to be commissioned by March 2017. The ports in the Western region covering Maharashtra and Gujarat will be efficiently linked to the northern hinterland, and coal would move rapidly to the power plants in the north, and steel to the industries. The DFCs will have a massive impact on the Railways’ profitability, and the entire Indian economy. The average speed of freight trains will go up from 25 kmph to 70 kmph which will reduce the transit time from the present levels. At the same time, DFCs will allow higher axle loads per carriage and much longer trains. And the beauty of it is that the project will pay for itself because of the obvious advantages it would offer.
So what does all this have to do with high-speed trains? As pointed out by the National Transport Development Policy Committee (NTDPC), whose report I mentioned in my 7 July piece, with the construction and commissioning of DFCs, freight trains would get substantially diverted to the new freight corridors. This would present an opportunity to increase the maximum permissible speed of passenger trains on the existing corridors to 160-200 kmph (at present the maximum permissible speed for passenger trains is 150 kmph for a few trains and the average commercial speed is in the range of 70 kmph). This would, in turn, enable operation of overnight inter-city services in the distance range of 1,000-1,500 km, as also help connect cities within distance of 500-700 km with high-speed day services.
Increasing speeds to 160-200 kmph would need inputs by way of removal of speed restrictions, yard remodelling, fencing, improved signalling, easing of sharp curves and so on. The most opportune time would be to commence the exercise and implement the scheme when any section of the DFC gets commissioned, relieving the pressure of operating freight trains on an existing congested section.
For instance, as the NTDPC has calculated, with trains travelling at these speeds, one would be able to travel from Delhi to Mumbai in 11.5 hours instead of the current 16 (Rajdhani Express), Chennai to Delhi in 18 hours instead of the current 28 (Rajdhani), and from Mumbai to Ahmedabad in four hours (as opposed to the three hours envisaged for the first proposed bullet train).
Until the DFCs are complete (and they are, as I said, the most vital railway project for the economy), passenger trains travelling at this speed will slow down freight traffic and other passenger trains even more, and congest the network even further. This is the smartest way to build the high-speed rail network. Focus on the DFCs and piggyback the high-speed passenger trains on them. Of course, this means we will have to wait a bit, but in the long term, this will be the best for the railways and the economy.
Gowda is willing to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) upto 100% in railways, other than operations. But which foreign firm will invest in an entity which has no credible accounting standards? The accounting system of the Indian Railways is organised to cater to government budget and control functions and does not follow accounting norms as prescribed in the Companies Act. The financial results of the Indian Railways, as presented to Parliament and for public information, include a Statement of Revenue Receipts and Expenditure (Profit and Loss account) and a Balance Sheet, but the contents of these documents depart substantially from the disclosure standards that are expected of going concern entities.
In other words, the Indian Railways’ accounts are not available in a format that is readily interpretable by lenders and investors. The present system of accounting does not give a true and fair financial picture. For example, the balance sheet does not show depreciation provisions and as a result it is impossible to ascertain the net block. Similarly, there is a no clear separation between revenue and capital, or between ‘top of the line’ and ‘below the line’, and the data is presented in a way in which one cannot ascertain labour productivity or employee cost.
This actually funny! Neither the government nor the Railway Board has any clue how the organisation would fare if its accounts were presented as per the Indian GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) followed by companies incorporated under the Companies Act.
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 09 Jul 2014 21:58, edited 3 times in total.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Sanku,

No, not "they are just talking about stuff"

but "they are just talking about same old stuff that every past rail minister talked about but did not really work"

and that is called lack of vision. What is so difficult to understand?

I see that you comfortably ignored the DFC part. So did the current railway minister.

And comparing HSR to airport !! :roll:

--------------

Added later,

I see Theo added the same point about DFC.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

@Theo

There was mention of DFC in the speech. As regarding the project - funds tied up, LA is almost complete, awarding contracts is underway. What the Modi admin can do is speed up the process. They should start prelim works on the Kolkata-Chennai and Chennai-Mumbai corridor.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

the difference will be on execution and that we will have to wait and see.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

@Supratik

Has they even declared Kolkata-Chennai and Chennai-Mumbai corridor? I would call it the real diamond quad then.

Also, I am not sure that LA is complete. It was the LA issue which kept the original DFC by Laloo out of Kolkata. I haven't heard anything about that being resolved.

I just wish there is a big fight about this LA with Didi and NaMoji runs a road roller over her. :twisted:
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

I believe the LA has progressed well in WB inspite of the hysterical lady. The basic idea of DFC is to ultimately have separate freight corridors in trunk routes but there is no official news of progress/prelim work on the other corridors. It was not specifically mentioned in the budget speech.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Gus wrote:the difference will be on execution and that we will have to wait and see.
Till date, every bit of superior execution had a plan that was communicated well in advance as a vision. For example, 24x7 electricity was promised and to achieve that distribution lines were duplicated for different sector. And 24x7 power guarantee was pretty revolutionary as well as measurable target vs platitudes like "world class" etc etc.

Now, I might be missing those plans and communications since so many BRFites are seeing the good side of this budget! Or is it rather trust on a proven admin (which btw even I have on NaMoji) than any explicit communication part?

And that is where a major grouse lies. Budget is a public communication event. You communicate about your audacious vision. Like the first MMS budget under PVNR. Or the dream of golden quad during NDA1. All happened in somewhat similar shitty situation.

Nothing of that sort, only the implicit request to trust execution capability of an admin proven at state level. The nation really voted to be dragged to twenty first century by scruff of the neck and you squander opportunity to show the road map for that in your first official vision communication.

Go back and check the IR, Road, Eco dhaga of the past during NDA1 regime. Check the excitement and volume of info during budget days. Here I am the most prolific postor.

And calling that KLPD seems to be a major offence in BRF nowadins. :roll:
Last edited by Picklu on 09 Jul 2014 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Supratik wrote:I believe the LA has progressed well in WB inspite of the hysterical lady.
Any open source news item corroborating the same in case of WB? Genuinely want to know as I have not read anything in english media or ABP/EiSamay.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

^^ Thank you.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

From this
* This year >> dedicated freight corridor along the 534 km stretch from Son Nagar in Bihar to the terminal point at Dankuni near Kolkata

* part of the proposed 1,839 km rail corridor from Ludhiana in Punjab to Dankuni in West Bengal.

* Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCC) builds northern part of the corridor & eastern part will be developed through public-private partnership.

* DFCC is a special purpose vehicle floated by Indian Railways.

INVESTMENT GROWTH

* According to Singh, Indian Railways is expecting Rs. 1 lakh crore investment in Railway projects through PPP route between 2012-17.

* During the 11th Plan period, the Railways received a mere Rs. 3,000 crore investment through PPP route.

* Singh added that the Government has chalked out six unique models to relax the norms
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

RamaY wrote:
From this
* This year >> dedicated freight corridor along the 534 km stretch from Son Nagar in Bihar to the terminal point at Dankuni near Kolkata

* part of the proposed 1,839 km rail corridor from Ludhiana in Punjab to Dankuni in West Bengal.

* Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCC) builds northern part of the corridor & eastern part will be developed through public-private partnership.

* DFCC is a special purpose vehicle floated by Indian Railways.

INVESTMENT GROWTH

* According to Singh, Indian Railways is expecting Rs. 1 lakh crore investment in Railway projects through PPP route between 2012-17.

* During the 11th Plan period, the Railways received a mere Rs. 3,000 crore investment through PPP route.

* Singh added that the Government has chalked out six unique models to relax the norms
RamaYji, check the date. UPA, as usual, was brilliant in execution, though other than HSR had similar wordings in their budget as well. :mrgreen: :rotfl:

Or after thinking some more :(( :cry: for the nation.
Last edited by Picklu on 09 Jul 2014 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote:Sanku,

No, not "they are just talking about stuff"

but "they are just talking about same old stuff that every past rail minister talked about but did not really work"

and that is called lack of vision. What is so difficult to understand?
What is difficult to understand is your assertion that if X talks about safety and Y talks about safety X == Y.

And this assertion based on yet another random statement of your own.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote:
Gus wrote:the difference will be on execution and that we will have to wait and see.
Till date, every bit of superior execution had a plan that was communicated well in advance as a vision. For example, 24x7 electricity was promised and to achieve that distribution lines were duplicated for different sector.
Picklu ji, you are basically making up stuff to justify the original untenable diatribe of yours. All this stuff about arbitrarily making random statements like

All plans communicated in advance before
24x7 good -- world class bad.

You have held the criticism of BJP and NaMo non stop for quite some time. Why pretend this has anything to with the budget ?
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Sanku wrote:
What is difficult to understand is your assertion that if X talks about safety and Y talks about safety X == Y.

And this assertion based on yet another random statement of your own.
There is no such random statement or assertion.

Either you communicate the plan why the outcome from Y will be different from intention of X OR have blind faith in the execution power of Y.

I do believe Y is a better executioner than X, does not absolve the budget from being KLPD though.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Sanku wrote: Picklu ji, You have held the criticism of BJP and NaMo non stop for quite some time. Why pretend this has anything to with the budget ?

Proof? Attack the postor with Libel and Slander, eh?
Last edited by Picklu on 09 Jul 2014 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote: Either you communicate the plan why the outcome from Y will be different from intention of X OR have blind faith in the execution power of Y.
If your complaint is that the rail minister did not give you the detailed 300 page reports for each of the visions mentioned in the budget. Please keep going :(( :(( :(( but kindly dont masquerade the statement of "oh he did not tell me how the bolts will be tightened so he has no vision and also he does not know how to tighten bolts" type of essentially poor logical construction.
I do believe Y is a better executioner than X, does not absolve the budget from being KLPD though.
Your absolve the budget is about 1/1000000000 times as meaningful as that Amartya "Nalanda" Sen of "I can allow him to be a secular PM" -- your statements are random, confused, and of poor logical consistency and highly incorrect in terms of various statements on infra basics and assertions on budget details.

No amount of acting high and mighty can absolve your statements of being basically, wrong.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote:
Sanku wrote: Picklu ji, You have held the criticism of BJP and NaMo non stop for quite some time. Why pretend this has anything to with the budget ?

Proof? Attack the postor with falsehood, eh?
Why dont we start with your attack on the NaMo govts plans to kick out the illegal Bangladeshi scum and trying to make it sound it was an attack on all Bengalis ?
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Sanku wrote: Why dont we start with your attack on the NaMo govts plans to kick out the illegal Bangladeshi scum and trying to make it sound it was an attack on all Bengalis ?
Again, there was no attack on the NaMo govt but practical problems with possible solution was pointed out. No where NaMoji or BJP was attacked. You need to improve your reading skill.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote:
Sanku wrote: Why dont we start with your attack on the NaMo govts plans to kick out the illegal Bangladeshi scum and trying to make it sound it was an attack on all Bengalis ?
Again, there was no attack on the NaMo govt but practical problems with possible solution was pointed out. No where NaMoji or BJP was attacked. You need to improve your reading skill.
Yes you never attack NaMo and BJP directly, but only, constantly and always provide blanket "everything is useless" about pretty much every initiative by them. Clever, but not that clever.

And when the inaccuracies and constant pattern on the same are pointed out that becomes grist of personal attack on my reading skills.

Kudos.

Meanwhile I stongly suggest that you look definition of words like, vision, implementation, details etc. And once you are done, maybe you can look up the basics of any long term infra dev project to understand the basics of what is being talked about.
Last edited by Sanku on 09 Jul 2014 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Thread derail on the Indian Railways thread. Oh! The humanity..... :mrgreen:
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Sanku wrote: Meanwhile I stongly suggest that you look definition of words like, vision, implementation, details etc. And once you are done, maybe you can look up the basics of any long term infra dev project to understand the basics of what is being talked about.
Don't need to. Have given the example of Golden Quadrangle multiple times before but then you ignore that as that does not help you to label me anti NaMo or Anti BJP.
Last edited by Picklu on 10 Jul 2014 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Picklu wrote:
Sanku wrote: Meanwhile I stongly suggest that you look definition of words like, vision, implementation, details etc. And once you are done, maybe you can look up the basics of any long term infra dev project to understand the basics of what is being talked about.
Don't need to. Have given the example of Golden Quadrangle multiple times before but then you ignore that as that does not help you to prove me anti Namo or Anti BJP.
Well then; expect to have the half baked statements get called out.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Thread derail on the Indian Railways thread. Oh! The humanity..... :mrgreen:
Since I do not enjoy having a rap sheet 3 mile long, I will be over and out even though I did not indulge in any personal attack or innuendo or out of topic discussion unlike the other poster is so eager to do without providing any cogent information on the current budget.

My mistake in even engaging with the same against better judgement after seeing past behaviour. Sankuji Going (back) to my ignore list, the hallowed hall where the likes of Rahul Mehta lives.

The fault is entirely mine, I am not worthy to discuss stuff with him. And I know his heart is in the right place and wants the same thing as me for Mother India, however much his mind veers off topic. Peace. :oops:
Last edited by Picklu on 10 Jul 2014 01:31, edited 4 times in total.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Picklu saar, don't take it personal is my only suggestion. Sanku saan is a weather phenomenon all his own...
Time to run & hide... :!:
---------------------------------

Meanwhile...

The DFCCIL has a separate website. Similar to Konkan Rail. And the story has been there for folks to read. One must commend the officers in charge for running a extraordinarily transparent organization, esp. for GOI....

http://www.dfccil.gov.in/

At least on the western corridor land acquisition on several long stretches has been complete for several years now. Yet not a single km is operational. The officials are going as fast as they in Railway construction mode, but the pace is glacial by modern standards.

All the way back in 2009 about 60% of the land for the western corridor had already been acquired.

The entire Delhi T-3 with $3 Billion was constructed from 2006-2010. So India can build quick if it puts its mind to it.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Thread derail on the Indian Railways thread. Oh! The humanity..... :mrgreen:
But, but this is one derailment that can only bring smiles and not tears. The masala was missing from the dhaga.

Regarding HSR, feeling an immense sense of deja vu. After we dug so much info on the HSR disaster in China it feels bad that we are going jump into the same trap.

DFC is a must and a high speed DFC. I remember there was some stuff we had dug up about the percentage points that can be added to the GDP once the DFC was up and running. Let me see if I can dig it up.

In defence of the Rail Minister I would say he shouldn't be judged by the first budget as shouldn't FM later today. These documents and plans take time to produce and the babus need to given the priorities of the government. Was there enough time to start with a clean sheet of paper? I think there's got to be some handprint of the previous government in the Rail budget. The only saving grace I see is the piddly sum of $100 crore allocated to HSR. Hope that signals real intent.

As an aside: Picklu Saar learn to enjoy the moment. You are in privileged company. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Hah, at least HSR got 100 crores, our esteemed railway minister has allocated 1 lakh rupees :eek: for the new line work between Palani and Erode in TN (91kms) . This is what I call strategic vision :rotfl:

On a lighter note,
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 177498.ece
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Namo is visiting japan real soon. with both DFC and HSR dependent on japanese loans and goodwill, we might see some things being finalized on this visit.

obviously it must be the #1 priority to finish the east and west DFC and pull in the manufacturing investments along the route the japanese corporates want to make. we must not lose this opportunity.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Javee wrote:Hah, at least HSR got 100 crores, our esteemed railway minister has allocated 1 lakh rupees :eek: for the new line work between Palani and Erode in TN (91kms) . This is what I call strategic vision :rotfl:

On a lighter note,
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 177498.ece
you do known what for that 100 cr is right ???
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Any data on % occupancy of Indian railways? for various classes such as 2nd-non-ac-chair-reserved, 2nd-non-ac-sleeper-reserved, 2nd-ac-sleeper-reserved, 3T-ac-sleeper-reserved, 2T-ac-sleeper-reserved, etc etc
Let me explain by % occupancy.
1. Say a train goes from Ahmedabad to Mumbai and chair car is 50% empty and 50% full all the way from Ahmedabad-Mumbai . The occupancy is 50%

2. Say a train goes from Ahmedabad to Mumbai and chair car is 50% empty and 50% full all the way from Ahmedabad -Vapi, and 100% from Vapi-Mumbai. And Ahmedabad-Vapi is say 75% of route. Then occupancy will be (75 * 50 + 25 * 100) = 3750 + 2500 = 6250 i.e. about 63%.

I could NOT find any number of train occupancy. Please see if you can find % number on occupancy.

IMO, there may be scope of shuffling trains and increasing occupancy and thus increase revenues without any increase in costs and thus increase profits.
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

Unless HSR is going to be constructed on Japanese grant money, it will not be a viable proposition. The railway budget did not have a specific vision but it focused on completing the already announced projects. Hopefully, the execution will be better compared to last 10 years.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

amit wrote:In defence of the Rail Minister I would say he shouldn't be judged by the first budget as shouldn't FM later today.
Amit, not judging the minister or PM or Govt or BJP, judging THIS (2014-15) budget - an important distinction. I am sure better budgets will come later once NaMoji is more in control. But this budget appears to be a missed opportunity. The reason for that are many and all mostly valid but still, sigh......