BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Mayura
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 Dec 2008 09:15

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Mayura » 31 Dec 2008 11:33

-Deleted-
Last edited by Mayura on 31 Dec 2008 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

krishnan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7342
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 12:58
Location: 13° 04' N , 80° 17' E

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby krishnan » 31 Dec 2008 11:33

clearing your cache and cookies might help

SwamyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 16102
Joined: 11 Apr 2007 09:22

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby SwamyG » 31 Dec 2008 21:02

No it is not cookies. I cleared the cookies. I still do not connect to the forums from Home. Thank god, without access to BRF from home my marriage is saved :rotfl: But now I have to worry about my job.

sum
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9942
Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby sum » 31 Dec 2008 22:26

I am unable to connect to forum from office while its fine at home..

Seetal:
Will mail you once back in office!!!

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 5095
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 21:28
Location: Somewhere Else
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby jamwal » 31 Dec 2008 22:28

Using a proxy solved the problem

webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site
Posts: 42
Joined: 03 Jan 1999 12:31
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby webmaster » 31 Dec 2008 22:38

Hi Guys,

For people who are having connection issues (i.e. can from work and cannot from home or vice-versa). Please drop drop me an email with your IP address (you can get this by going to wimi.com).

email the info to: webmaster AT bharat-rakshak dot com

Wishing you all a very happy 2009! :)

Cheers,
Seetal

k prasad
BRFite
Posts: 607
Joined: 21 Oct 2007 17:38
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby k prasad » 02 Jan 2009 16:18

Seetalji, will mail with IPs, boss, but it may be a range of IPs where I access from.

I can access from proxy, but cant post, which is bad. On normal browser, I get a request timeout msg.

Guddu
BRFite
Posts: 910
Joined: 01 Dec 2008 06:22

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Guddu » 02 Jan 2009 18:06

I think there is valuable information/discussion on BR, that is hidden from other BR members, general public/opinion makers, news anchors/GOI etc in the multiple ongoing threads. Infact, most of the people who can influence national and indian media may not have the time or knowledge to go digging for nuggets in BR. For this reason, I would like to suggest that important news worthy items/discussion points be posted on the main BR page with a link to the originating BR discussion forum. Examples of recent items that might interest news anchors and talk show hosts are 1. the idea that India might send 120K trroops to Afghanistan, 2. This suggestion: http://bhartendusinha.wordpress.com/200 ... terrorism/

Notwithstanding the merits/demerits of the above news ideas, its important that BR become the site to which news anchors refer to for obtaining ideas about national security issues. In the information age, it is important that BR become more media savvy and use the media to safe-guard our national interests. This may require some re-thinking as to what BR wants to put on the front page, but we need to move BR to the next level. How about selling official BR T-shirts to raise money if needed.

sum
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9942
Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby sum » 02 Jan 2009 18:46

Seetalji,
U got mail....

webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site
Posts: 42
Joined: 03 Jan 1999 12:31
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby webmaster » 02 Jan 2009 21:35

sum wrote:Seetalji,
U got mail....


Thanks Sum. I have responded back. :)

Cheers,
Seetal

SaiK
BRF Oldie
Posts: 36386
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 12:31
Location: NowHere

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby SaiK » 03 Jan 2009 01:32

there exists a mysqli error after the post going successful.. and junta would repost if the logic that counts to prevent spaming is failed (i.e, no post from the same source (ip,user,etc combo)).

please check this error.

yogi
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 85
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 02:25

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby yogi » 03 Jan 2009 03:39

Have the Forum Moderators considered moving to vBulletin from phpBB?

There are lots of advantages of using the vBulletin forum software:
- Better Admin control panel and a separate moderator Control panel and facilities
- Better spam capture
- More robust Banning capabilities :rotfl:
- Much secure
- Support of huge developer community with thousands of modifications, templates, and plugins available
- Easy addition of Google Search for the site
- Easy linking with Google Adsense (to recover costs associated with Server hosting and Domain registration)
- Better support for social network, rss-feeds, blogs, photo-blogs, closed discussion rooms, etc.
- Better support for Personal Messaging.
- vBulletin has a better capability to handle large forums.
- Linear as well as Threaded view for threads.
- Great user-reputation system.
- Superb Calendar feature. Could be useful for organizing BR meets.

Cons
- vBulletin is a paid software. But that means that bugs and security holes are fixed quickly, and updates are available in a timely fashion.

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3032
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Jagan » 04 Jan 2009 04:10

yogi wrote:Have the Forum Moderators considered moving to vBulletin from phpBB?

There are lots of advantages of using the vBulletin forum software:
- Better Admin control panel and a separate moderator Control panel and facilities
- Better spam capture
- More robust Banning capabilities :rotfl:
- Much secure
- Support of huge developer community with thousands of modifications, templates, and plugins available
- Easy addition of Google Search for the site
- Easy linking with Google Adsense (to recover costs associated with Server hosting and Domain registration)
- Better support for social network, rss-feeds, blogs, photo-blogs, closed discussion rooms, etc.
- Better support for Personal Messaging.
- vBulletin has a better capability to handle large forums.
- Linear as well as Threaded view for threads.
- Great user-reputation system.
- Superb Calendar feature. Could be useful for organizing BR meets.

Cons
- vBulletin is a paid software. But that means that bugs and security holes are fixed quickly, and updates are available in a timely fashion.


actually most of the features are there in phpbb as well. and since there is a team of people constantly working on it, security holes and updates are fixed pretty well. given the cost, phpbb wins hands down for our needs.

yogi
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 85
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 02:25

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby yogi » 04 Jan 2009 08:23

Guddu wrote:its important that BR become the site to which news anchors refer to for obtaining ideas about national security issues. In the information age, it is important that BR become more media savvy and use the media to safe-guard our national interests. This may require some re-thinking as to what BR wants to put on the front page, but we need to move BR to the next level.

I think this is a Great suggestion. All thumbs up. Some examples on similar lines: Huffington Post, Drudge Report. The entire US media takes their cue (and often breaking news) from such sites.
How about selling official BR T-shirts to raise money if needed.

With an Alexa rating of 22,525 in the entire world wide web, I don't think BR needs to sell T-shirts just as yet. Many forums smaller than this earn thousands of dollars a year from adsense revenue. Did the mods took a conscious decision early on as to not put ads on this site?

RayC
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4333
Joined: 16 Jan 2004 12:31

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby RayC » 04 Jan 2009 13:15

krishnan wrote:clearing your cache and cookies might help


Not really.

Too many double posts are happening to many.

Anujan
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6934
Joined: 27 May 2007 03:55

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Anujan » 04 Jan 2009 13:49

What is the magic chicken I should wave to change my display name ?

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16800
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 04 Jan 2009 14:34

drop an email.

Div
BRFite
Posts: 327
Joined: 16 Aug 1999 11:31

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Div » 05 Jan 2009 01:52

yogi wrote:
Guddu wrote:its important that BR become the site to which news anchors refer to for obtaining ideas about national security issues. In the information age, it is important that BR become more media savvy and use the media to safe-guard our national interests. This may require some re-thinking as to what BR wants to put on the front page, but we need to move BR to the next level.

I think this is a Great suggestion. All thumbs up. Some examples on similar lines: Huffington Post, Drudge Report. The entire US media takes their cue (and often breaking news) from such sites.
How about selling official BR T-shirts to raise money if needed.

With an Alexa rating of 22,525 in the entire world wide web, I don't think BR needs to sell T-shirts just as yet. Many forums smaller than this earn thousands of dollars a year from adsense revenue. Did the mods took a conscious decision early on as to not put ads on this site?


I thought some of the image galleries on the main site had ads. Either way, the forum is fine but imo the main site needs an overhaul. The design of some sections hasn't changed since the late 1990s.

Nikhil T
BRFite
Posts: 1102
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 06:48
Location: RAW HQ, Lodhi Road

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Nikhil T » 05 Jan 2009 23:22

The Top Stories section says "India inks 8 billion dollar deal", quoting CNN IBN. Please correct it to "2.1 Billion dollar deal" as the deal in question is the P-8I sale.

AdityaM
BRFite
Posts: 1928
Joined: 30 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: New Delhi

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby AdityaM » 06 Jan 2009 16:09

Admins:
Whats with being lenient with non-names?
A few BRF posters have the following non-names:
JwalaMukhi
BijuShet
indradhanush
KarnaArjuna

Can I have my name changed to AM, AdMa, RamRahim ?

Shivani
BRFite
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 Nov 2007 13:00
Location: भारत
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Shivani » 07 Jan 2009 17:40

webmaster wrote:Test post after server migration :D :) :-o :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:


Has posting been temporarily disabled? One of my posts -well, my only post since forums came back online- did not get published.

Shivani
BRFite
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 Nov 2007 13:00
Location: भारत
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Shivani » 07 Jan 2009 17:45

Uh, this is all wrong.

Image

webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site
Posts: 42
Joined: 03 Jan 1999 12:31
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby webmaster » 07 Jan 2009 18:51

Test post after server migration :D :) :-o :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

p_saggu
BRFite
Posts: 1058
Joined: 26 Nov 2004 20:03

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby p_saggu » 07 Jan 2009 19:20

Hey I can't post any thing on the "Indian Response to Terorism" forum :shock: .
What ever I write does not appear on the forum page, My own reply appears as an unread post that I should check before I click on the submit button.

Did I get super fast or did time slow down? :rotfl:

p_saggu
BRFite
Posts: 1058
Joined: 26 Nov 2004 20:03

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby p_saggu » 07 Jan 2009 19:25

There's something funny going on in the Indian Response to Terrorism After Mumbai thread. None of the new posts are appearing on the page no matter how many times you refresh. The new posts are appearing in the "Show New Posts" page though.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16800
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 07 Jan 2009 19:26

the chronological ordering is all messed up.

this post should appear after p_saggu's post, let's see where it actually appears.

edit: it came out OK in this thread but not in others.

p_saggu
BRFite
Posts: 1058
Joined: 26 Nov 2004 20:03

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby p_saggu » 07 Jan 2009 19:30

Hey my posts are appearing before some of the earlier posts !!!

The world is coming to an end ! ! !

Grab your houris and head to the Khabar thread on the double...

krishnan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7342
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 12:58
Location: 13° 04' N , 80° 17' E

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby krishnan » 07 Jan 2009 19:31

Post testing 1...2...3

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16800
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 07 Jan 2009 19:34

Big Boss, please have a look into this.

I'm kanphused as hell ! :((

krishnan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7342
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 12:58
Location: 13° 04' N , 80° 17' E

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby krishnan » 07 Jan 2009 19:41

The new server is konphused or BR having jet lag

webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site
Posts: 42
Joined: 03 Jan 1999 12:31
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby webmaster » 07 Jan 2009 20:04

Sorry guys - the reason for the post overlap issue is due to fact that the server time was wrong and this got corrected. The clock was in effect rolled backwards but this caused "earlier" posts got moved down the list.

Regards,
Seetal

Neela
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3627
Joined: 30 Jul 2004 15:05
Location: Spectator in the dossier diplomacy tennis match

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Neela » 07 Jan 2009 20:09

Posting here so that Admins are brought to notice:

http://www.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cg ... 1337272003


The news article has a picture from BR. Is this allowed?

krishnan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7342
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 12:58
Location: 13° 04' N , 80° 17' E

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby krishnan » 07 Jan 2009 20:55

The copy right info is there, so i think its ok. But its upto Arun ji to take the phinal decision

Hiten
BRFite
Posts: 1085
Joined: 21 Sep 2008 07:57
Location: Baudland
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Hiten » 07 Jan 2009 22:29

* Can you please enable the feature whereby posting in a thread will make you automatically subscribed to that thread

* Also can you enable the feature by which all the subscribed threads that has been updated since my last visit get listed in my control panel in the forum

This feature is available in vBulletin. so if it is also available in phpBB do consider enabling it

e-mail notifications are a little inconvinient. Not only do I not want to know what happened on the forum if am not logged in the forum at that time, but it also tends to get lost in the inbox among other mails - seeing them listed in the control panel is IMO much more convinient
Thanks

webmaster wrote:The clock was in effect rolled backwards but this caused "earlier" posts got moved down the list.
Regards,
Seetal

So that is why I ended up looking like I post w/o reading any of the earlier posts, esp in the Military Aviation thread

Arun_S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2800
Joined: 14 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: KhyberDurra

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Arun_S » 08 Jan 2009 00:58

Neela wrote:Posting here so that Admins are brought to notice:

http://www.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cg ... 1337272003


The news article has a picture from BR. Is this allowed?

Thanks Neela for catching that copyright infringement. I will send them a notice.

They should have asked permission and teh very least given the source and credited Bharat-Rakshak and I.

Neela
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3627
Joined: 30 Jul 2004 15:05
Location: Spectator in the dossier diplomacy tennis match

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Neela » 08 Jan 2009 15:39

Arun_S wrote:
Neela wrote:Posting here so that Admins are brought to notice:

http://www.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cg ... 1337272003


The news article has a picture from BR. Is this allowed?

Thanks Neela for catching that copyright infringement. I will send them a notice.

They should have asked permission and teh very least given the source and credited Bharat-Rakshak and I.



No worries. Looks like the clarity of the image was deliberatly brought down .

rajkumar
BRFite
Posts: 180
Joined: 22 Sep 2000 11:31
Location: London U.K
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby rajkumar » 09 Jan 2009 17:09

Has the 'automatic logon' facility been disabled after server migration. I keep having to log back on for each visit?

Ardeshir
BRFite
Posts: 1080
Joined: 15 Jan 2008 03:10
Location: Londonistan/Nukkad

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby Ardeshir » 09 Jan 2009 18:40

'Automatic logon' is working for me.

webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site
Posts: 42
Joined: 03 Jan 1999 12:31
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby webmaster » 09 Jan 2009 19:06

rajkumar wrote:Has the 'automatic logon' facility been disabled after server migration. I keep having to log back on for each visit?


No - It could be a possible issue with with the browser cache.

Regards,
Seetal

shiv
BRF Oldie
Posts: 34982
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Pindliyon ka Gooda

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Postby shiv » 10 Jan 2009 09:08

rajkumar wrote:Has the 'automatic logon' facility been disabled after server migration. I keep having to log back on for each visit?


Have you checked the box that needs checking for automatic logon?


Return to “Trash Can Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests