BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 647
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Raveen » 01 Nov 2009 22:36

Gerard wrote:
Raveen wrote:I have been trying to change my e-mail address to
myfirstname @ myfirstname . info


but for some reason the system doesn't accept it, can an admin pls help. Thanks.
- Raveen


No valid MX record for that email


the MX records point to google apps which what I run (I had to update the MX records a couple of days ago though)
I assure you the records are fine and in perfect working order since I get every e-mail sent to me

Gerard
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7904
Joined: 15 Nov 1999 12:31

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Gerard » 01 Nov 2009 23:01

The MX error was with the firstname from the old email address recorded for the account, not the one you just gave.
My mistake.

The problem is with the ".info" TLD.
I'll refer this to Jagan.

Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 647
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Raveen » 01 Nov 2009 23:05

Gerard wrote:The MX error was with the firstname from the old email address recorded for the account, not the one you just gave.
My mistake.

The problem is with the ".info" TLD.
I'll refer this to Jagan.



Thank you Gerard...I appreciate it

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3032
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Jagan » 02 Nov 2009 00:37

Raveen wrote:
Gerard wrote:The MX error was with the firstname from the old email address recorded for the account, not the one you just gave.
My mistake.

The problem is with the ".info" TLD.
I'll refer this to Jagan.



Thank you Gerard...I appreciate it


Raveen, can you try now and see if you can do it at your end?

AdityaM
BRFite
Posts: 1935
Joined: 30 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: New Delhi

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby AdityaM » 02 Nov 2009 00:51

Jagan wrote:
AdityaM wrote:Is there some way one can help out BR in the IT dept?
I could render my services


Sure. we can do with all the help in the following areas:

1. Apache ModRewrite / URL Rewrite
2. Php/MySQL programming
3. Javascript
4. IE8 Accelerators
5. Joomla Template designers
6. Gallery 2.x Template Designers


I am from the .NET world. i doubt if i could help in the above.

ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 4239
Joined: 10 Sep 2007 05:57
Location: Loud, Proud, Ugly American

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby ArmenT » 02 Nov 2009 06:03

^^^^
Jagan, I could help with the first 2 for sure and I can code javascript fairly decently as well. Plz to email brfcompendium at gmale if you need any help in the above.

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3032
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Jagan » 02 Nov 2009 06:18

Armen,

Definitely much to do on ModRewrite.

Glad to get a javascripter to help. will email you what i have in a couple of days.

-Jagan

Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 647
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Raveen » 02 Nov 2009 08:08

Jagan wrote:
Raveen wrote:
Thank you Gerard...I appreciate it


Raveen, can you try now and see if you can do it at your end?



It worked, thank you so much Jagan and Gerard

George J
BRFite
Posts: 312
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby George J » 02 Nov 2009 09:00

Where is the DefExpo 2008 archive thread ? The Exposition archive does not list a BR thread from DefExpo 2008, it only has 2006. I know there is a 2008 pics thread in the gallery but you guys didnt have any discussion about it?

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 03 Nov 2009 21:35

Dear Mods,
I would like to draw your attention to the "Crusading" language that RayC has been using in the Army Discussion forum. I have 10 minuues in a day to read some sensible discussion but to my dismay rather than sticking to the topic and maintaining a cohesive discussion on the topic of the forumn the Mod on that forum himself has been indulging in discussions which sway from the rather evangelistic to the downright clock and dagger threats. I would encourage the rest of the mods to please take serious note of this situation.
Earlier presidencies suggests that people have been banned for lesser transgressions. I do not think there should be a class structure created where there would be one set of rules for the general masses and some other set of rules for the Ruling elite.

It defeats the purpose of calling this forumn "Bharat" rakshak...


Hope some other MODS actually reads this...

enqyoob
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2658
Joined: 06 Jul 2008 20:25

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby enqyoob » 04 Nov 2009 00:36

You mean "cloak and dagger" and "earlier precedents", I presume? Actually I have been wondering how there can be a "later precedent", but anyway, just curious. Thanks for taking time out from the 10 minutes you have in a busy day to post. Great to see that such important people are browsing BRF! That's just awesome!

Prem
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21126
Joined: 01 Jul 1999 11:31
Location: Weighing and Waiting 8T Yconomy

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Prem » 04 Nov 2009 01:09

Thanks to Rahul M the M for wise and timely decision to lock the IG thread .

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16946
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 04 Nov 2009 01:36

Prem wrote:Thanks to Rahul M the M for wise and timely decision to lock the IG thread .

wasn't me ! :wink:

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 04 Nov 2009 10:10

enqyoob wrote:You mean "cloak and dagger" and "earlier precedents", I presume? Actually I have been wondering how there can be a "later precedent", but anyway, just curious. Thanks for taking time out from the 10 minutes you have in a busy day to post. Great to see that such important people are browsing BRF! That's just awesome!


Thanks for correcting.. BTW is "ENQYOOB" a human readable name can you kindly explain how some one did not change your username..

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16946
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 04 Nov 2009 10:15

sam_kamath wrote:
enqyoob wrote:You mean "cloak and dagger" and "earlier precedents", I presume? Actually I have been wondering how there can be a "later precedent", but anyway, just curious. Thanks for taking time out from the 10 minutes you have in a busy day to post. Great to see that such important people are browsing BRF! That's just awesome!


Thanks for correcting.. BTW is "ENQYOOB" a human readable name can you kindly explain how some one did not change your username..

well, you read it didn't you ? that makes it human readable I guess ?
or do you disagree ?

p.s. just for the sake of clarity, we have no policy against non-humans reading names either. :wink:

RayC
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4333
Joined: 16 Jan 2004 12:31

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby RayC » 04 Nov 2009 10:37

It is his pet name ENQYOOB.

If you read it carefully you will see there is some method in that name.

I too was equally foxed and intrigued!

There are pet names also like Ghoton! Totton and even Miyakhiznak (Russian). What about Luttu? That is a name too!

There is the famous actress Bridgitte Eklund, which may sound odd in India, but then that is a name! Now, if she was a poster on BRF and registered as Eklund, what could we do? What about Munda's brother's name Nunulal Munda, which in Bengal would be rather embarrassing!

AdityaM
BRFite
Posts: 1935
Joined: 30 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: New Delhi

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby AdityaM » 04 Nov 2009 11:06

^
User Name Policy
Please note that the User-name should conform to the following guidelines and it should not be changed once set. Forum members are required to register with a displayed name or username that should appear like a common human name and which does NOT feature a call sign, an abbreviation, names with numbers, ALL CAPS, or names that may carry a message or meaning that may be interpreted as inappropriate. Admin decision in this regard is final and usernames deemed inappropriate for the forum will be deleted. Users will not be able to change their own names once set. One of the forum admins will do that for you in case that is required, and you will be notified in a forum post


Ofcourse "ENQYOOB" could have been {GodZilla}
is Godzille (refered to as *** by many) and ENQYOOB the same people?
Last edited by enqyoob on 05 Nov 2009 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correction added

RayC
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4333
Joined: 16 Jan 2004 12:31

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby RayC » 04 Nov 2009 11:21

AdityaM

Bang On!

Or so I believe!

These Mods are mysterious!

and

Admin decision in this regard is final.


They have accepted it!

I want to change to Luttu!

Dileep
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5811
Joined: 04 Apr 2005 08:17
Location: Dera Mahab Ali धरा महाबलिस्याः درا مهاب الي

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Dileep » 04 Nov 2009 11:23

NOMB, but is asking the identity of a poster on the forum halaal?

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 04 Nov 2009 20:13

RayC wrote:AdityaM

and
Admin decision in this regard is final.

They have accepted it!



Yes you are right :-) ...Thanks for accepting the fact that it is not the rule but the decision of the VIP Class which is binding ... Mods Vs Commoners...It is possible to argue for or against the rule...

Please let me explain how this same argument is analyzed by Mods in a public forums. In a Public forum usually there are rules and then there is precedence, a MOD is not a VIP member but a person who can reason out and apply this rule and precedence... In my past 10 years on this forum I can quote several instances where even good, readable names were changed... latest case in point being James_Bond which was changed to JamesB ... So If a mod was to quote 5 examples of names which were not changed that same Mod was obliged to also give 5 examples of cases which were changed, than apply precedence and than logically conclude one way or the other.

For better or for worse the whole VIP class theory still works "If the mod's say so" .. :-)

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 04 Nov 2009 20:27

Rahul M wrote:
Thanks for correcting.. BTW is "ENQYOOB" a human readable name can you kindly explain how some one did not change your username..

well, you read it didn't you ? that makes it human readable I guess ?
or do you disagree ?

p.s. just for the sake of clarity, we have no policy against non-humans reading names either. :wink:[/quote]

Rahul please understand with great power comes great responsibility, think about yourself as a Judge a mod is not the law, a mod is someone who applies the law, if some one like you make a comment like "well, you read it didn't you ?" next time someone comes up with this same argument you will not be able to refute it. I feel you made a "smart comment" just so that you could be satirical and bash my previous post, however tomorrow if someone comes with a username which you think is boundary line and he gives you this same line of reasoning, you will not be able to refute it as you yourself have set this precedence.

Think about it...

RayC
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4333
Joined: 16 Jan 2004 12:31

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby RayC » 04 Nov 2009 20:29

sam_kamath wrote:
Yes you are right :-) ...Thanks for accepting the fact that it is not the rule but the decision of the VIP Class which is binding ... Mods Vs Commoners...It is possible to argue for or against the rule...

Please let me explain how this same argument is analyzed by Mods in a public forums. In a Public forum usually there are rules and then there is precedence, a MOD is not a VIP member but a person who can reason out and apply this rule and precedence... In my past 10 years on this forum I can quote several instances where even good, readable names were changed... latest case in point being James_Bond which was changed to JamesB ... So If a mod was to quote 5 examples of names which were not changed that same Mod was obliged to also give 5 examples of cases which were changed, than apply precedence and than logically conclude one way or the other.

For better or for worse the whole VIP class theory still works "If the mod's say so" .. :-)


Please spare me the homilies and pious platitudes.

Does appear good when one is not wearing at the crown!

We too have been around since the beginning of time. It is not that we have surfaced suddenly.

You may well like to know that I am/ have been Mods not only here but elsewhere too. So, I know about public forums. Notwithstanding, obliged for your valuable advice!

My way of looking at issue is to bring peace. There are ways to not engage in discussion, but be surgical. I avoid it. I want all to enjoy and have his say! And indeed, people get hot behind the collar!

Each decision of ours (Mods) is analysed behind the bookshelf. So rest your head in peace, things are not quite that arbitrary.

You are furious why I was on a 'Crusade'?

When one posts something, it can be challenged and it goes on and on. When one quotes the scripture to one whose scripture it is, then he cannot refute that! Period! Peace prevails.

The Commonwealth Games are yet to start and anyone so inclined can apply to join the Indian Boxing team. I have done my share of all this, I want to see what is peace!

You are Sam. Therefore, I sure you would know the quotes better than me!

As far as being VIPs, I am afraid it is an old war cry of those who are not!

Personally, I rather be a commoner and having been some sort of a VIP and most of the Mods have been in their own rights, I find it a very lonely existence.

I rather be with you!

Ajit.C
BRFite
Posts: 160
Joined: 10 Sep 2008 13:15
Location: Middle East
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Ajit.C » 04 Nov 2009 20:33

Please update the senior officers list of all sevices. For example- Army still shows that Sam Maneskhaw is the senior most officer.

enqyoob
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2658
Joined: 06 Jul 2008 20:25

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby enqyoob » 04 Nov 2009 20:38

Allo! Do I hear ppl insulting my honorable and dignitiable name? For your info, A. Enqyoob is a respected name on the internet, and widely read by humans (Ok, it IS debatable whether they are humans) in, say, Pakistan.

Anyway,
a) it is not some mythical combatant, or machine, or animal, or anything intended to insult the Sensitivities of any Communities, or anything of the sort.
b) I know a human who is called that by his peers.

Why would anyone change it? To what? Something with an underline? Were you named "underline" as your middle name? Know any humans named "underline"?

I do understand that you only have 10 minutes in your very busy and important day to spend here, so time for thinking may be a bit short..

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 04 Nov 2009 20:40

RayC wrote:
sam_kamath wrote:
Yes you are right :-) ...Thanks for accepting the fact that it is not the rule but the decision of the VIP Class which is binding ... Mods Vs Commoners...It is possible to argue for or against the rule...

Please let me explain how this same argument is analyzed by Mods in a public forums. In a Public forum usually there are rules and then there is precedence, a MOD is not a VIP member but a person who can reason out and apply this rule and precedence... In my past 10 years on this forum I can quote several instances where even good, readable names were changed... latest case in point being James_Bond which was changed to JamesB ... So If a mod was to quote 5 examples of names which were not changed that same Mod was obliged to also give 5 examples of cases which were changed, than apply precedence and than logically conclude one way or the other.

For better or for worse the whole VIP class theory still works "If the mod's say so" .. :-)


Please spare me the homilies and pious platitudes.

Does appear good when one is not wearing at the crown!

We too have been around since the beginning of time. It is not that we have surfaced suddenly.

You may well like to know that I am/ have been Mods not only here but elsewhere too. So, I know about public forums.

My way of looking at issue is to bring peace. There are ways to not engage in discussion, but be surgical.

Each decision of ours (Mods) is analysed behind the bookshelf. So rest your head in peace, things are not quite that arbitrary.

You are furiious why I was on a 'Crusade'?

When one posts something, it can be challenged and it goes on and on. When one quotes the scripture to one whose scripture it is, then he cannot refute that! Period! Peace prevails.

The Commonwealth Games are yet to start and anyone so inclined can apply to join the Indian Boxing team. I have done my share of all this, I want to see what is peace!

You are Sam. Therefore, I sure you would know the quotes better than me!


Why does this guy have to go on a tangent every single time... again Mods are not some VIP's/ officer class/ ruling elite so instead of explaining a decision of the mods to commoners like us we get arguments like "Each decision of ours (Mods) is analysed behind the bookshelf. So rest your head in peace, things are not quite that arbitrary." we want to know how, why... dont tell us that you guys are commoners and this is beyond your intellectual capacity to understand.

If in a public forum there has to be some semblance of a fair discussion one cannot tell the rest hey i am the mod i do things behind the "Bookshelf" so please don't question me...

that was the 18th century ...
Last edited by RayC on 04 Nov 2009 20:48, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: It is only a person with immense complex who feels that way that they are commoners! Discuss with facts! If you find our intellectual capacity inferior please go and find something better. Check Armatya Sen or Hawkings!

RayC
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4333
Joined: 16 Jan 2004 12:31

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby RayC » 04 Nov 2009 20:54

If tangent means I don't toe your line, then indeed I will be damned if I do.

In all fairness, I explained that we are not beyond check and we are also accountable.

That we are accountable to those who finance the forum and to others on the team is not good enough?!

I will be damned the day I have to be accountable to you and your line of thought.

So stop this utter nonsense.

Take care!

Why does this guy have to go on a tangent every single time... again Mods are not some VIP's/ officer class/ ruling elite so instead of explaining a decision of the mods to commoners like us we get arguments like "Each decision of ours (Mods) is analysed behind the bookshelf. So rest your head in peace, things are not quite that arbitrary." we want to know how, why... dont tell us that you guys are commoners and this is beyond your intellectual capacity to understand.

If in a public forum there has to be some semblance of a fair discussion one cannot tell the rest hey i am the mod i do things behind the "Bookshelf" so please don't question me...

that was the 18th century ..


Time you stop thinking you are Joan of Arc!

The gender is wrong apart from the ideas!

I am using Christian examples since your name is Sam and I take it that you are of the Faith.

In case it is not so, do let me know!

I would be surprised if a non Christian takes pride in using a Christian name!

What is all this Commoners and VIPs? Someone has to run the forum and some are the contributors!

The Lok Sabha has the Speaker. Now, that should be equally damned! What the Dickens do you want?

Have you a better idea?

archan
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6821
Joined: 03 Aug 2007 21:30
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby archan » 04 Nov 2009 21:08

Ray, a lot of people whose name is Sameer also use a nickname sam. I don't think it is advisable to guess someone's religion and comment on it based on their username.

RayC
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4333
Joined: 16 Jan 2004 12:31

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby RayC » 04 Nov 2009 21:16

archan wrote:Ray, a lot of people whose name is Sameer also use a nickname sam. I don't think it is advisable to guess someone's religion and comment on it based on their username.


Thank you for calling me to order.

Shows how we Mods moderate the Moderators.

Proves my point! That too in the open!

I was also called Sam in the Army or at least they wanted to.

I would be damned to be called so. I am an Indian, and if my name is not good for the the others, then the others are not good for me!

I may not be a Hinduvta icon, but I am damn proud of my Indian lineage and I would be damed if I were to trade it to be 'acceptable' to others!

If they are Indians, they should be proud of what they are.

And not show their Hinduvta and Indianess on their sleeve on forums keeling over and kowtowing to foreign influences! Utter nonsense Sam Kamath if one is not a Christian! Selling ourselves to the foreign influences and then flaunting Hinduvta on our sleeves! Shyam is a Hindu name and not Sam!


I marvel at their cheek to call my Indianesss to question!

One must be a GENUINE Indian in all facets!

Why must I be Sam?

This double standard gets me dizzy!

You are archan, but then you could be Archie. Did you use that name?

No. I take it you are proud to be what you are.

I take it that you are an NRI and yet you use your original name!

Proud of you!

I have been accused of being on a Crusade etc. I am not. I want transparency and truth! My religious inclination is of no concern. The concept of India suviving all this turbulence is what is my concern!

BijuShet
BRFite
Posts: 1575
Joined: 09 Jan 2008 23:14
Location: under my tin foil hat

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby BijuShet » 04 Nov 2009 22:04

^^^
RayC this post is addressed to you. Sam_Kamathji complained here about your usage of Bible quotes while responding to some prior post. In your reply to Sam_Kamath, you brought up the likelihood of Sam_Kamath being a christian based on the Sam portion of his BRF moniker. I believe that line of argument is frowned upon at BRF for all posters including Moderators. Archanji pointed this fact in his reply to your post. Your reply to Archanji again questioned Sam_Kamath's Indianess because he used Sam instead of his full name. Sam_Kamath could stand for Sarvapalli Anandaswamy Madikeri Kamath just like RayC could be Ray Chittanand. Ray is a common name in the western hemisphere but no one here ever suspected you of being from those parts. Would you ever doubt the Indianess of a poster with a BRF moniker APJ_Kalam if he were to ever grace us? Please desist from going down this road.

Ps: I do not use ji while addressing you. If I remember correctly you once admonished someone (could have been me) about using honorifics like ji as being pretentious and false. Since then, I desist from using it when addressing you. I will be glad to add it back if you have changed your opinion about the usage of honorifics. You are elder and wiser to me and I do look upto you with respect so not using ji was out of courtesy and not spite.

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3032
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Jagan » 04 Nov 2009 22:07

Gentlemen,

The residential status of a poster, the location he is in, the amount of time he spends on the forum, the nicknames he has, or the taxes he paid are of no concern to anyone - members or mods. The poster has given his feedback. give an explanation and stop at that. not a time to pick fights with those who give feedback.

Ray,

Whats the problem with sam as a nick name. there are half a dozen cases i know where it can legitimately be used as a nickname even for hindus. even otherwise, It is highly inapprporiate for anyone to pick on the member's nickname and try to correlate it with his religious leanings.

-Jagan

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16946
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 04 Nov 2009 22:32

Rahul M wrote:
sam_kamath wrote:
Thanks for correcting.. BTW is "ENQYOOB" a human readable name can you kindly explain how some one did not change your username..

well, you read it didn't you ? that makes it human readable I guess ?
or do you disagree ?

p.s. just for the sake of clarity, we have no policy against non-humans reading names either. :wink:


sam_kamath wrote:Rahul please understand with great power comes great responsibility, think about yourself as a Judge a mod is not the law, a mod is someone who applies the law, if some one like you make a comment like "well, you read it didn't you ?" next time someone comes up with this same argument you will not be able to refute it. I feel you made a "smart comment" just so that you could be satirical and bash my previous post, however tomorrow if someone comes with a username which you think is boundary line and he gives you this same line of reasoning, you will not be able to refute it as you yourself have set this precedence.

Think about it...

sam, why do you think I'm abusing whatever power I have as a mod ? :eek:

you asked if it was human readable (which means if it can be read by humans) and I replied that since you did read it, it must be !
I don't know what the rest of the comments have to do with this ?

p.s. I do usually try to explain each and any of my decisions (subject to time/fatigue etc) and would be glad to do it if you kindly explain what your question is. AFAIK I've answered your original question as well as I could.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16946
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 04 Nov 2009 22:38

Whats the problem with sam as a nick name. there are half a dozen cases i know where it can legitimately be used as a nickname even for hindus.

as a matter of fact what do we care if it is for hindus christians or pastafarians ?
as long as it is a human name.

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3032
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Jagan » 04 Nov 2009 22:40

Rahul M wrote:
Whats the problem with sam as a nick name. there are half a dozen cases i know where it can legitimately be used as a nickname even for hindus.

as a matter of fact what do we care if it is for hindus christians or pastafarians ?
as long as it is a human name.



Hence the next sentence

even otherwise, It is highly inapprporiate for anyone to pick on the member's nickname and try to correlate it with his religious leanings.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16946
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: Skies over BRFATA
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Rahul M » 04 Nov 2009 22:43

I was adding to your point, not disputing it. :wink:

p.s. these days all my posts seem to be misinterpreted. :-?

Jagan
Webmaster BR
Posts: 3032
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Earth @ Google.com
Contact:

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby Jagan » 04 Nov 2009 22:43

Rahul M wrote:I was adding to your point, not disputing it. :wink:

p.s. these days all my posts seem to be misinterpreted. :-?


naw no misinterpretation. Just thought you didnt see it. now I would be misinterpreted if that statement was not read!

AdityaM
BRFite
Posts: 1935
Joined: 30 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: New Delhi

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby AdityaM » 04 Nov 2009 23:10

The bloke who said 'whats in a name' obviously didn't read BRF!!

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 04 Nov 2009 23:20

RayC wrote:Last edited by RayC on 04 Nov 2009 03:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is only a person with immense complex who feels that way that they are commoners! Discuss with facts! If you find our intellectual capacity inferior please go and find something better. Check Armatya Sen or Hawkings!


Guys dont you think RayC editing my posts is completely unfair. This was an argument against his inappropriate use of the MOD status, and he edits my post, I do not think there he has any right to do so, one cannot be the Mod of an argument in which he himself is involved. However proves my point again, I would like to again move the rest of the members of this community to kindly consider revoking MOD authority from RayC.

{BTW, I don't think it is "unfair" either. In fact I would have deleted the whole lot, except it's entertaining to see someone doing this to himself.}
Last edited by enqyoob on 05 Nov 2009 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tired of the whining

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Sep 2008 22:53

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby sam_kamath » 04 Nov 2009 23:27

Rahul M wrote:
sam_kamath wrote:Rahul please understand with great power comes great responsibility, think about yourself as a Judge a mod is not the law, a mod is someone who applies the law, if some one like you make a comment like "well, you read it didn't you ?" next time someone comes up with this same argument you will not be able to refute it. I feel you made a "smart comment" just so that you could be satirical and bash my previous post, however tomorrow if someone comes with a username which you think is boundary line and he gives you this same line of reasoning, you will not be able to refute it as you yourself have set this precedence.

Think about it...

sam, why do you think I'm abusing whatever power I have as a mod ? :eek:

you asked if it was human readable (which means if it can be read by humans) and I replied that since you did read it, it must be !
I don't know what the rest of the comments have to do with this ?

p.s. I do usually try to explain each and any of my decisions (subject to time/fatigue etc) and would be glad to do it if you kindly explain what your question is. AFAIK I've answered your original question as well as I could.


Rahul,
Thanks a lot for that explanation, I really appreciate your response, however I have a slightly related question. My question to you is If some one joins the forum with the nickname "Moukli" or "Baghkira" would that be allowed. As it would stick to your argument that it is a Nick which you can read. It is also a Nick which I have called a few of my friends with so it would follow the precedence that was sent because we have a "Enqyoob".
I would appriciate it if you could please let me know what you think on this line of argument.

AdityaM
BRFite
Posts: 1935
Joined: 30 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: New Delhi

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby AdityaM » 04 Nov 2009 23:32

Sam,
Is this topic worth spending so much time?
Who cares if the person is called kingkong or hongkong or dingdong.
there is someone called CalvinH which perhaps derives from Calvin & Hobbs, and then so what?

Even the mods use name handles which have nothing to do with their real names.
name doesnt matter, the substance in the posts do.

I just dont want to see any further bad blood on this forum which is increasingly resembling a "my ego is bigger than your ego" forum

SwamyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 16144
Joined: 11 Apr 2007 09:22

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Postby SwamyG » 04 Nov 2009 23:39

Sam: Enqyoob is quite readable. It is my guess that when they expect us to have some human readable name it means they don't want us to have something like 'asdf3434' or 'qjwjkertkllkjlkjy'. So just a friendly reminder to take it easy on this one.
Added: Considering that several moderators have taken your feedback into consideration; please consider visiting the nukkad dhaaga and relax there.


Return to “Trash Can Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests