BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I was wondering as to why dont we have private message option in BR,although I know that BR unlike other forums is a bit old school(I like it for that) but I guess PM feature would be of great help in taking some discussions of record or communicate while organising BR meets.

Although I know likes of JC,Arun_S and other JIngo's would have tough time replying to queries raised by newbies but I know like alwars they would manage. :P
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

negi wrote:I was wondering as to why dont we have private message option in BR,although I know that BR unlike other forums is a bit old school(I like it for that) but I guess PM feature would be of great help in taking some discussions of record or communicate while organising BR meets.

Although I know likes of JC,Arun_S and other JIngo's would have tough time replying to queries raised by newbies but I know like alwars they would manage. :P
I remember it was removed after one of the oldtimers who was miffed at BRF started 'collecting' people . Instead of answering a post he would go "xxx, check your PM" and it went on for some days till someone got PO and removed the feature.

But I agree, we should have the PM feature back.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Yes a PM feature would be nice and it would allow one to explain to another as to why on some issues, one would not like to elaborate etc.

Or give e mail id which one would not like to give in an open forum.

I think I had to give my mob no to Negi for the BR Meet in Kolkata and so I had to go about in a roundabout way through another person on another forum which had the PM facility to get to Negi so that he could get to me!

That paragraph above is too complicated, right?

So, was it when I had to do what I had to do and in a roundabout way :)
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Jagan wrote:
negi wrote:
But I agree, we should have the PM feature back.
I think PM feature should be totally avoided.. Prevents from having the discussion disappear into private PM domain. Happened a lot on the experiment I did with chanakya.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

BRAdmins:

I cannot connect to BR home page but able to connect to the forums. You can get the time by looking at the post time. Is the server hosting home page down?

Also the forums is taking roughly 15 secs for the post to be registered. Is the backend DB heavily loaded?
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

Now it is fine, I am able to get the BR home page. It seems the server went down .
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

BRAdmins:

Another intermittent problem. I got

Code: Select all

phpbb error:

could not connect to the database
For about 5 min I could not connect to forums.bharat-rakshak.com. Is it due to temporary overload of BR forum server? The DOS lasted only for about 5 mins, then everything was normal.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

What happened to the forums between 11:00am and 12:30pm EDT? I tried 3 times and it refused to load.
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

The access to BR site was not allowed between 10:GMT to 2:00 PM GMT. I was regularly trying.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

The phpBB project will go live with version 3 shortly. Do the admins have an upgrade path towards moving the forums to version 3. The project is currently are -rc4 stage. It would be a good idea to plan pilots as soon as version 3 is released so that the switch can be as smooth as possible.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

The posting time has gone down from about 30 sec delay to under 10 sec. Did you migrate forum server or DB to a new m/c?
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Can BR have a feature where members can raise a Troll Alert or Paki Alert when disruptive/abusive messages are posted? This is common on many fora and will help the Moderators greatly. For starters we can give this privilege to a select bunch or old timers and see how it works.
webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site

Post by webmaster »

Hello,

>> The posting time has gone down from about 30 sec delay to under 10 sec. Did you migrate forum server or DB to a new m/c?

No - I just did some DB cleansing which removed most of the overhead.

>> The phpBB project will go live with version 3 shortly. Do the admins have an upgrade path towards moving the forums to version 3. The project is currently are -rc4 stage. It would be a good idea to plan pilots as soon as version 3 is released so that the switch can be as smooth as possible.

Whilst no specific upgrade path has been planned - I am using a few test machines at home to do the migration work and some stress testing. Although I guess it’s not a bad idea to a test migration by setting up an alternate forum server for completeness.

Regards,
Seetal
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Bhai log I have a small issue at times while posting it is only after I have pressed the submit button I realise that somehow the session gets expired and the log in page appears instead and I loose what ever I had composed.

I guess technically it is feasible to avoid this (i.e. log in page does appear but after providing the right credentials the message would be posted),for I know of forums which are able to handle such an eventuality.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Broken Link: While searching for the Battle of Assal Uttar on google, the 2nd result is a BR link: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... tton2.html . However this gives me a 404 page not found error.
skher
BRFite

Post by skher »

Rudranath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rudranath »

All the images of this page are not being displayed.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MONITOR/I ... harma.html

If the images are clicked then this Error Message is displayed.
Not Found
The requested URL /LAND-FORCES/Army/Def-Expo/Arjun2.jpg was not found on this server.
Apache Server at www.bharat-rakshak.com Port 80
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Suraj wrote:Broken Link: While searching for the Battle of Assal Uttar on google, the 2nd result is a BR link: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... tton2.html . However this gives me a 404 page not found error.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... temId=2189
SonarDeshi wrote:Broken Link.Error 404.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... llery.html
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... itemId=318
nirav_j

Post by nirav_j »

i would like to request a PM feature and also a report post function ,, where in an offending post can be directly reported to the mods ,,,,
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

okayeeee... many people had problems in accessing BR at times and over certain types of networks (service provider specific) in between like the point-2-point etc.

if you are running windows (any), download doctor tcp.
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

select the network connection card (your nic) from the list, that you currently use to access br and other high access nets.

set that Tcp Receive Window : 32767 and Max MTU : 1500, (if this does not solve, try 1452 or 1412).

save and exit.

disconnect the network connection by disabling it.
enable it back [ctl-panel>net connection>"<your net connect>".
Rudranath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rudranath »

Request to Admins

Whenever a spam thread is started by a spammer please delete the contents of the post and then move the thread to the Trash Can.

If the contents of such posts are not deleted then whenever a search is
conducted they are displayed in the results.

Admins are requested to take some time out and recheck the Spam posts moved to Trash Can and delete the contents of such posts.

And more over they are wasting the storage space on the BR servers.

Today a spam thread was started selling some tablets. A similiar thread is there is in the Trash Can and the links in the posts are still there.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

I'd like to ask if its possible to have a few features on BR.

1. PM, as requested above.

2. A quick reply feature, like in other forums (IDF for eg).

3. A playpen thread that will help n00bies ask their questions without getting beaten for it.... probably seniors can visit, and answer their 'silly' questions and/or provide appropriate links to direct the questioner to the right place. Ideally, make the thread sticky.

Just my 0.02 Rs worth.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

k prasad wrote:I'd like to ask if its possible to have a few features on BR.

1. PM, as requested above.

2. A quick reply feature, like in other forums (IDF for eg).

3. A playpen thread that will help n00bies ask their questions without getting beaten for it.... probably seniors can visit, and answer their 'silly' questions and/or provide appropriate links to direct the questioner to the right place. Ideally, make the thread sticky.

Just my 0.02 Rs worth.
playpen thread is a good idea. People who cant tolerate newbie questions can stay out of it instead of losing their cool.

quick reply is no yet implemented in PHpBB 2.

PMs need to be reconsidered.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

i have been a silent reader of this forum for very long now.

overall forum is neat and refreshing, but in my opinion forum needs to sub categories its groups, like Military Issues and history forum can have sub forums for different arms, aka IAF, IN and IA.

This will make thread searching easy and more readable.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Is it possible to have a search function for the members list... there are 90 odd pages, and if one wants to find someone in the middle, its painful.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... k.jpg.html

This is not IAF. RAxxxxx is Russian serial number
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/News/News-index.html
Not Found

The requested URL /IAF/News/News-index.html was not found on this server.
Apache Server at www.bharat-rakshak.com Port 80
[/quote]
skher
BRFite

Post by skher »

Sid wrote:i have been a silent reader of this forum for very long now.

overall forum is neat and refreshing, but in my opinion forum needs to sub categories its groups, like Military Issues and history forum can have sub forums for different arms, aka IAF, IN and IA.

This will make thread searching easy and more readable.
IMHO,this sub-grouping of forums is rather cumbersome to implement and even more confusing for operation by forum members.

I would humbly recommend the addition of a small search bar,which could perform a keyword search on the available thread names.

.... The process would involve tagging of a particular thread as runs it along.

For example,

This thread could have these particular tag words:

i) Permanent ones

suggestion, site improvement, feedback.

ii) temporary ones

playpen quick reply pm , phBB 2.0
etc. etc.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aditya G wrote:http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... k.jpg.html

This is not IAF. RAxxxxx is Russian serial number
Heck - blame Vayu for it ;)

will remove that - thanks
gopal.suri
BRFite

Post by gopal.suri »

BR looks fine as it is. Navigating the multiple subforums means extra clicks to reach them, which means more time taken. The forum, sub forum set up was in Frontier India Forums when it was up and running. It was a pain to navigate to each forum. I had argued BR sort of forum for the same. I find BR very user friendly.

Grass looks green on the other side.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I second gopal. Having said that I want an avatar enabled for every one ,how is that Admiral Rakman saheb is flashing his badge around ? :P

--ducks for cover--
Last edited by negi on 02 Dec 2007 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
gopal.suri
BRFite

Post by gopal.suri »

:D Thank you Negiji.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

for Arun_S
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MISSILES/Armoury.html

1) create a page for PAD & AAD
2) create a page for BrahMos and remove the External Link
abek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abek »

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this but let me share it anyway. I just observed that NDTV was refering to BR in their program X-factor. The story is about not publishing the official histories of wars fought by India. It says that the content is available on BR for anyone to read though the Govt has not published the official versions.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

abek wrote:I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this but let me share it anyway. I just observed that NDTV was refering to BR in their program X-factor. The story is about not publishing the official histories of wars fought by India. It says that the content is available on BR for anyone to read though the Govt has not published the official versions.
Thanks for the heads up.

here are the links on the NDTV website - both reports by Ajai Shukla

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/vi ... x?id=20338
Report - History or Mystery

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/vi ... x?id=20343
Discussion - Can India's people not be trusted with the story of India's wars?
Ajay K
BRFite

Post by Ajay K »

Kakarat Posted: 02 Dec 2007 09:28 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for Arun_S
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MISSILES/Armoury.html

1) create a page for PAD & AAD
I second that for creation of a page for PAD and AAD missiles, admins.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

An update regarding Shivalik class frigates
By June 2008, the first of three 4,900-tonnes, Shivalik class stealth frigates will commence eighteen months of trials with the Indian Navy. The second Shivalik class frigate will start trials by December 2008, followed by the third. Simultaneously, Project 15-A, for three massive 6,700-tonnes Kolkata class destroyers, is making rapid headway.
Rakesh, please add this update to the P-17 page
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

We on BRF have now become a capable news aggregator. We now need to go beyond and start analysis of the news as to what it means for India and then others.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

K Mehta wrote:Rakesh, please add this update to the P-17 page
Thank you Mehta Saab! Please take a look at;

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Project17.html
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

aye aye sir