BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kalantak
BRFite

Post by Kalantak »

joey wrote:Present one much much better and pro looking, no need to change IMHO.
Saurav some like the present skin but some like me would like an optional skin to be provided. Take a look at this skin. Looks refreshingly fresh.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Missing link on the yeh dil maange more article by Mr. Batra, the father of Capt. Vikram Batra. TIA.

Main link is here

Also, can an appropriate link be put for the site to Lt. Saurabh Kalia? The link is broken and leads to some ads.
ticky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ticky »

The forum index link on the top left hand corner of the forum guidelines page is not working
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Two points:

>> The sp forces articles list does not include an article that came out in India Today in the 90's which was quiet good. In fact this particular pic appeared in that article. Can that article be added to BR. I still have that copy of IT and can therefore provide the references if required.

>> Scenarios Thread X (locked) needs to go to the Military Scenarios Archive

Admins, plz do the needfull.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Dear Admins
Is there a politically correct way to identify a poster as belonging or originating from a particular nation(s).
Can the field describing the location of a poster not display the nation where he orginally registered from?
Or can admins follow a nomenclature when issuing usernames to identify national identity of the poster
Such a move will help in identifying non serious posters who intend to troll in certain strategic and political forums

Thanks
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Gurus,
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a sticky post in some of the threads in the Military forum for newbies wanting to learn the nitty gritty of the mil tech. They could include for example, some explanation of acronyms (like, what is A2A? air to air?), and some links for say a brief history of LCA, MRCA etc. I know they are probably provided in some other stickies but maybe it will be more contextual and make it easier to learn if they were provided at the top of the thread.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

well, they can learn about the projects from the BR resources itself. the way most of us have. :wink:

and acronyms don't deserve a thread all by themselves, they can be elaborated as and when they appear. Anyway, tribe elders are usually more than willing to explain stuff if newbies request for info instead of the 'I know it all' posts that gets on everybody's nerves !

regards.
gogna
BRFite

Post by gogna »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircr ... Dhruv.html

Engine:(section)

1. Link for the TM333-2B2 is not working correct link is this TM333-2B2

2. Link fot the Ardiden 1H is not working correct link is this Ardiden 1H

3.Information needs updating
Engine: Two TM333-2B2 turbo-shafts developing 825 kW (1100 shp) at take-off, with growth potential to 900 kW (1200 shp) for subsequent versions. The Dhruv was originally powered by two Turbomeca TM333-2B turbo-shafts, which was then later switched to the American LHTEC 800 due to better performance. However with the US sanctions, the LHTEC 800 was abandoned and HAL re-established connections with Turbomeca for an engine similar in performance to the LHTEC 800 and chose the TM333-2B2. By February 2002, Turbomeca had delivered 26 of a total of 82 TM333-2B2 turbo-shafts. An MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) was signed on 12 September 2000 between HAL and Turbomeca to develop a more powerful turbo-shaft. Called Shakti in India and Ardiden 1H in France, this new turbo-shaft will be available for flight tests in 2003 and certification by 2005. Around 300 engines are expected to be produced for the Dhruv.
From the above link in (2.)
The Ardiden features a simple and modular design with 3 modules for easy maintenance: a reduction / accessory gearbox module, a gas generator module and a power turbine module. The Ardiden has a TBO (Time Between Overhaul) ranging from 3,000 to 6,000 hours.

EASA certified in December 2007, the Ardiden 1H, christened "Shakti", powers the Dhruv twin-engine helicopter (formerly called ALH - Advanced Light Helicopter) built by HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.) of India. Shaki has completed its first run on test bench in October 2005, with production of more than 300 engines on the horizon.

The Dhruv, re-engined with the Ardiden 1H, made its maiden flight on August 16th 2007
, in HAL’s helicopter division, Bangalore, India.
4. Also information in Land Forces HAL Dhruv and Navy HAL DHRUV Engine pages could be edited as well with the above.
webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Post by webmaster »

Test post after version 3 upgrade 1 2 3 . . .
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

X-Posted :

Thanks to everybody involved.

I would like to draw your attention to the following :
1) There are multiple Font Sizes being used (even Bharat Rakshak looks bigger..).
2) Usernames are center and not left justified.
3) "View unanswered posts | View active topics View new posts | View your posts" menu is taking away valuable real estate.
4) No inline avatars and linking please.. page loads will take a beating..
5) "New Topic and Post Reply" images are sticking out like sore thumbs..

More as I see them..
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Tilak wrote:X-Posted :

Thanks to everybody involved.

I would like to draw your attention to the following :
1) There are multiple Font Sizes being used (even Bharat Rakshak looks bigger..).
2) Usernames are center and not left justified.
3) "View unanswered posts | View active topics View new posts | View your posts" menu is taking away valuable real estate.
4) No inline avatars and linking please.. page loads will take a beating..
5) "New Topic and Post Reply" images are sticking out like sore thumbs..

More as I see them..

I agree with #2 & #4 above. That needs to be fixed. However, I don't mind #3 & 5 though. They stand out which is good. I like that layout :)
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

I tried to post an image from Flickr, couldn't...got this message..'It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.'
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

No forum feedback on this please - only feedback on the main site.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

This Message goes out to

Rahul M
RayC

Can you guys please email me at jaganpvs yat gmail dowt com?

Your email on file is bouncing back.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Hello Forum Admins,

How do I change my user name to comply with forum guidelines?

Thanks
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

This Message goes out to

Rahul M
RayC

Can you guys please email me at jaganpvs yat gmail dowt com?

Your email on file is bouncing back.
Jagan, I have already sent one from : edited.

can't seem to be able to access gmail today. edited

which one did you sent to ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Luxtor wrote:Hello Forum Admins,

Thanks
What name do you want? Strictly speaking - I think Luxtor is fine. AFAICT it carries no agenda.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

What ever happened to the "Print" button?

It was a neat way to save the entire thread in one go.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

shiv wrote:
Luxtor wrote:Hello Forum Admins,

Thanks
What name do you want? Strictly speaking - I think Luxtor is fine. AFAICT it carries no agenda.
OK then I'll keep it Luxtor. Indeed it doesn't carry any agenda or stand for anything, I just made it up. I thought one had to use his/her real name or some version of real name. Also one more issue unrelated to this....I was a BRFite and had about 130 posts and now about 10 days ago my post count has come down to in the 20's and I am back down to a Trainee again. Not sure what happend...just curious. :((

abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Luxtor,

All trainees are too read every thread in the archives in triplicate. Once you have enough gyaan - you will be able to make meaningful (as opposed to meaningless) contribution.

So, in order not to confuse outsiders as to your level of gyaan - you (and many others) have been demoted to Trainee status.

Hope that helps.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

BRadmins,

Why are long running threads, threads where it has been past practice to continue, being locked well before page 9 :?: .

Example :

Pakistani Nuclear Proliferation at Page 3.
Indo-Russia at Page 7.
Indo-Israel at Page 5.
Sri Lanka at Page 7
India Space Program Page 7 etc, etc, etc.

If there is a change in policy, BRadmins may please advise.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

arun wrote:BRadmins,

Why are long running threads, threads where it has been past practice to continue, being locked well before page 9 :?: .

Example :

Indo-Russia at Page 7.
Indo-Israel at Page 5.
Sri Lanka at Page 7

The 9 page cutoff was dictated by the old forum software in which formating of the main page would eventually get upset by an increase in page numbers. Specifically it was a suggestion by Rakesh that everyone took up. That is no longer necessary and I believe (as Jagan suggested) that we can let threads run longer and see how we go. No need to get worked up by page 9.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

abhischekcc wrote:Luxtor,

All trainees are too read every thread in the archives in triplicate. Once you have enough gyaan - you will be able to make meaningful (as opposed to meaningless) contribution.

So, in order not to confuse outsiders as to your level of gyaan - you (and many others) have been demoted to Trainee status.

Hope that helps.
OK Abhischek, I stayed up all night and read every thread in archives in triplicate. Now can I get my former BRFite title back? :wink: :)
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

:)

Only admins can help you there.

Even I had my post count cut from 2500s to 500s.
I slipped from senior member to BRFite :((
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Any chance of implementing the save/print as single page hack? I ahve an old friend for whom I print some of the threads and he needs this. Or else i have to save/print each page.

Thanks, ramana

BTW, He fought in Chusul in '62.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

arun wrote:BRadmins,

Example :

Indo-Russia at Page 7.
Indo-Israel at Page 5.
Sri Lanka at Page 7

I can speak of "India Space Program". Previous forum s/w constrained thread length to page-9. To have context continuity it is useful to carry the last few posts/pages forward to the next thread (instead of a jarring new birth of a thread & totally context free, that is in reality continuation of old discussion). So on space page (and missile and nuclear page) I would often manually split the old thread carrying last few pages forward to new thread, that would thus leave the locked page with fewer than 9 pages. Hence your observation of thread locked with fewer than 9 pages.

Anyway with the new forum s/w that is less of an issue and the thread can be very long indeed.

Ducking back to my work den.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ramana wrote:Any chance of implementing the save/print as single page hack? I ahve an old friend for whom I print some of the threads and he needs this. Or else i have to save/print each page.

reproduced from elsewhere:

that one page printer friendly feature in the old forum was an external patch (called mod) that was applied to the board by Seetal. That older patch obviously will not work with the new version of the board.

For this version , the in-built printer friendly feature only gives page wise versions. We will have to see if anyone has coded a single page version of the older patch for this version of the board - till then we will have to live with the existing feature.
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

hey in the quest of new look to BR, you guys are cutting my chances of ever graduating here.
i had around 40 or so posts. (even though i got membership in 2006, thanks to my work i couln't be active) but still. now its been cut to 9 :cry:
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

Can someone please enlighten me on the criterion for moving from BFRite Trainee to BFRite..
If its posted some place else do point me to that resource.
Thanks in advance.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chirag and pushkar. A huge post count means zilch . There are people who have post counts that are well over a thousand who have not posted anything meaningful or significant for years. there are others with a post count of less than a hundred or a thousand whose pots are dripping with value and meaning.

Don't run after post count as rank.Try and add value to the forum rather than upping your post count.
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

So is it Ok to assume that some powers to be will decide if and when I get my wings :roll: :-?
shiv wrote:Chirag and pushkar. A huge post count means zilch . There are people who have post counts that are well over a thousand who have not posted anything meaningful or significant for years. there are others with a post count of less than a hundred or a thousand whose pots are dripping with value and meaning.

Don't run after post count as rank.Try and add value to the forum rather than upping your post count.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

pushkar.bhat wrote:So is it Ok to assume that some powers to be will decide if and when I get my wings :roll: :-?
it's not like that. there are no wings to speak of.
you get the BRFite logo once your post count crosses 100. it's just another board feature, nothing important. moreover, nobody decides that.
But the BRFite logo counts for jilch if your posts do not make sense !

make meaningful posts and the members would feel that you are an angel !! :wink:

regards.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Sorry for sounding like a senile parrot, but did the forums get RSS yet ? Clicking through the threads to find out unread posts is such a pain :cry:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

lakshmic wrote:Sorry for sounding like a senile parrot, but did the forums get RSS yet ? Clicking through the threads to find out unread posts is such a pain :cry:
why not use the "view active topics" option at the top of every thread ??
works well for me !
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Chaps

all these features - RSS, Single Page Print View, and anything else that is missing from previous version were all external mods/patches made for PhpBB Ver2. Since we have upgraded for Ver 3.1, we have to wait for someone who may have written these fixes for Ver 3.1.

When we find them, Seetal will apply them. But first we have to find if anyone have written these in the first place. This will take some time and wont happen immediately.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

Jagan wrote:Chaps

all these features - RSS, Single Page Print View, and anything else that is missing from previous version were all external mods/patches made for PhpBB Ver2. Since we have upgraded for Ver 3.1, we have to wait for someone who may have written these fixes for Ver 3.1.

When we find them, Seetal will apply them. But first we have to find if anyone have written these in the first place. This will take some time and wont happen immediately.
Jagan, I am not sure if this would help you but may be worth your time

[RC2]RSS Feed

I have created a RSS FEED for phpBB3
demo
this feed as a few nice feature such as

1. Time limmet on how soon it can be updated
2. Theme slyle lay out
3. Easy install
4.works with phpBB 3.0.0 gold and also 3.0.1
Download ModX included

[Beta]Advanced RSS Feed by joeroberts on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:26 am

MOD Title: Advanced RSS FEED
Mod Author: joeroberts
MOD Description: This is a Advancement of my simple rss Feed here It stell has all the simple rss feed settings but it also has a few more features such as it can list a search result and show user posts unread post active posts and can even run a ego result.
It installs really easy may be about 5 minutes.
Not a lot of modding to do. and only requires one image to setup in admin pannel
MOD Version: 1.0.0
MOD Download: Download
Further Informations: The install note included is not all that good but can give you a basic Idea as to how to install it.
this feed works with your forum settings and has all the phpBB sicurity settings inplace.
you can use IE, FireFox, Opera, Yahoo, Feedreader and Google(for simple feed only still having trouble here.)

[BETA] Easy RSS Atom mod for phpBB3 by polov on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 am

Hi all,

maybe you will find it usefull. Not too far when I was looking about some easy install rss mod for phpBB3 but no works well or was too complicated to install. This motivate me to do easy mod by myself.

I takes the latest messages on board and put into rss. should be valid. There are two files in zip - .php one that should go to phpbb root and .html one that should go to your styles/tempates directory. In .php file there is some settings like board URL, count of news put to rss or image size. Feel free to set it up, it is not hard to understand what means what.

It uses only phpBB3 functions, checks if user has rights to read the news, and works for me for more then month without problem. Feed should be valid Atom, if I havent do some bug lately

So no warranty from me, files are on http://www.operacesky.net/rss_mod-20080530.zip
Last edited by BijuShet on 29 Jun 2008 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Now links open in the same window. I liked the earlier way of links opening in a new window. Sometimes, based on the link(s), it is not possible to come back to BR or the originating URL and it is just programmed into me to click the link and not take extra step to open the link n a new window. why has that changed? If not major, can we please get the old functionality back. Thanks,
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Biju

Thanks a bunch for that post on the RSS Fixes. - You did all the work there!.

I will check them out and let Seetal Update the site soon.

-Jagan
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

Jagan wrote:Biju

Thanks a bunch for that post on the RSS Fixes. - You did all the work there!.

I will check them out and let Seetal Update the site soon.

-Jagan
Jagansaar I am just doing my part. Since I have gotten so much from this forum over the years I feel anything I can do to help you guys is my way of saying thanks to you guys.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

First time caller...er first time "Site Suggester".

Recently, the "Islamism...." thread went under lock. And suggestions were invited to foster better civil discussions. My 2 cents are here.

1. With the poll mechanism, let us nominate 5-10 debaters on Islamism. {like aasthan vidhwans}
2. Create a separate section where there debaters can debate. Others can be just onlookers. {something like FaithFreedom does}
3. Invite members to suggest prominent non-BRF debaters with topic suggestions. For example M.F.Hussein {please don't mock me}
4. Invite the personality to debate at BRF {akin to FF}
5. Let the personality pick any one from step 1 {like Iron Chef}
6. Let the two decide on the topic, format, number of posts, number of days etc for the debates.
7. And hopefully the show begins.