BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Post by Nikhil T »

Avinash R wrote:
Nikhil T wrote:Also, Army has got increases worth 10,000 cr while Navy has done with about 288 crore and IAF with 1100 crore only! All this and more anomalies ...
Nikhil that is not an anomaly. The personnel in IA are more than both IN and IAF combined together. And not to forgot IA is currently fighting against a proxy war on two fronts. The expenditure on men and material during these operations is considerable.
see the recurring expenses are not increasing. They have increased capital expenditure by some 15000 crores out of the total 39k crore increase. Even so, the Navy gets just 288 out of 15000. The capital expenses aren't related to manpower issues, and come to think of it - it has all these P17A, stealth frigates and Mig29K follow on orders and Gorky overruns to take care of. I'm sure you agree 288 is a pittance, won't suffice for even 3 Mig29K's while Army can do a hell lot from the extra 10,000 crores (probably one half of the entire artillery modernization program). Reasoning for these expenses would be a good insight into the MoD's thinking for post-mumbai reorg that's been happening.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

nikhil, you can take this discussion to the misc military thread.
FWIW, I think the 288 cr is the increase, not the total outlay. I guess they don't foresee much expenditure jump this particular year.
navy's procurements are usually more consistent year to year things with rare jumps.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

well, why hasn't any news link come up on the main page for the Defence Budget increase? I saw one set of updates for today (long after the defence budget came out) and was expecting a link that time.

and Rahul, I don't think bringing the subject up in the Newbie thread would be of any consequence since most of the discussions there are just that, newbie stuff. If we have dedicated Republic Day threads every year, IMO we should also have dedicated "Indian Defence Budget" thread each year. Both these threads could be expected to be active at specific time of the year (like around Jan for R-day and mid-Feb to March for Defence Budget) and then be locked.
All this because the Newbie thread prevents any detailed discussion happening over a topic since every now and then we would have a newbie info-seeking question popping up, derailing the focus. You could leave the Newbie thread for these kind of misc. questions.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

A question for admins: Who is the webmaster for the B-R Land Forces section now?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Raja Bose wrote:A question for admins: Who is the webmaster for the B-R Land Forces section now?
Sachin would be the guy in the interim.

The site is in the process of yet another migration - so updates are in hold now. The migration will take a bit of time.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Jagan wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:A question for admins: Who is the webmaster for the B-R Land Forces section now?
Sachin would be the guy in the interim.

The site is in the process of yet another migration - so updates are in hold now. The migration will take a bit of time.
Thanks Jagan. OK I will wait.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Is something wrong with the BR images site. whenever i try to navigate AI-09 images, after one or two images site becomes unavailable. Then I am able to access it only after one or two hrs. I tried this from both office and home, but same result (so no ISP issue). This ahppens only with images site. forum runs perfectly.

I am accessing site from Sweden, but i really hope there are no special blockers for non-Indian visitors (specially after that DOS attack).

-Sid
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Can We have a future equipment section for army and air force or would wikipedia suffice for reference for on going developmental projects.Just asking because my friend recently introduced to BR said there was no Tejas and cabs AEW&C sections.Is there any??or should i suggest wiki to him??also there is lots of new info coming up after AI09.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

Admins : Registered users receive e-mail notifications to thread updates.However, the e mail does not contain the name of the poster.Many a times, the new posts / replies are just one liners. However, of all the posters a few users do make very useful posts.

It is suggested that the e-mail notification format be revised to include the name of the latest poster. This will enable better judjement on part of BRFites, on when to visit the threads, and also decrease the load on the BRF server (ie unless u would like to increase the hits for some commercial purpose)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

raghav, there is a very big if a little outdated LCA section on BR.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Info/LCA-Section.html

the reason we had so many good sections is that there were members who were willing to sit down and write on the baby steps of their beloved motherland's military industry.

If someone writes a nice article on AEW&C BR will still carry it.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

some how the login details from session kinda taken from cookies!? on visiting other websites and coming back, it some how does not retain login information, and when i redo login, it would pick the login information from cookies, and say logged in, but for some reason the session does not hold on the information (my guess), and never lets in.

i have to kill the cookies, and then re login to access back.

:?:
Suyogv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Suyogv »

Hi Is there some where thread on Police on BRF?? Thanks
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Adminullahs, is it possible to enable messaging facility for gents like Prasad and Rakall? So that they can contact each other without needing to put up their email id on forum?

May be too late in the day now. But can be followed in the future if few people come up with trove of info and need to co-ordinate. The feature can be disabled after the need has passed.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

they already have each others email ID.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

And we're also talking on phone... :D
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

^^^ Well, there are many expos coming up. Hopefully other people can bring out gold like they did. Or is it we are considering this to be a one time gold strike? :)
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

KiranM wrote:^^^ Well, there are many expos coming up. Hopefully other people can bring out gold like they did. Or is it we are considering this to be a one time gold strike? :)
I'm actually slightly disappointed at the amount of info I could collect at AI itself.... thankfully, rakallji was there to save the day. I'm also mailing him some brochures, so that he can scan and put them up... plus, theres some info on the Hawk that'd make Vivek really happy... about 35 pages of technical info to be precise.

I'm sure that there are a lot more people who visited AI... please do put up ur experiences and info. Another thing is that it is best to go in groups of 2 or 3 people to the stalls and question them - that way, the info collected is complete. a larger group, and the information collected drops because the people get cautious.

Anyway, I was also hoping that there were other BRFites at the seminar... in fact, I'd asked K Mehta if he knew if anyone else was there at that time (I was far from the net then, so he was my contact)... if there was anyone present at the seminar, please raise thy hand.

Cheers
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Suyogv wrote:Hi Is there some where thread on Police on BRF?? Thanks
There is a police thread in the Tech and Economic forum.
Shivani
BRFite

Copyright

Post by Shivani »

Hello

I would prefer a discussion about copyrights at Bharat Rakshak forum. Presently, only one forum moderator (Gerard) is diligently enforcing copyrights. Like this:

Other moderators are more indulgent, and articles are copied and pasted in full all over the forum. There is no consistency. One doesn't know whether we can post an entire article only for it to be deleted (!), or 'just' a fair use excerpt. It would be better if there is:
  • a single, unambiguous and legally sound policy regarding copyrights,
  • which is enforced uniformly across the forum.
One moderator's jehad does nothing to enhance Bharat Rakshak Forums' legal integrity as far as copyrights are concerned. There are plenty of copyright violations archived across thousands of posts. If someone wants to use copyright violation as a tool to harass or attack Bharat Rakshak Media, that is ammunition enough.

Since editing thousands of posts and making them copyright compliant would be a very time consuming affair, a more practical policy could be to allow members to post articles in full as we have been doing all this time.

And, only when a cease and desist letter (specifying a copyright violation in a member's post) is mailed to Bharat Rakshak Media, Andhra Pradesh 500xyz, should that specific post be edited.

What do others forum members think?
Last edited by Shivani on 22 Feb 2009 15:38, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

there is consistency as far as thinking goes but as you rightly pointed out w/o proper enforcement it is of little use.

FWIW, we did have copyright issues and legal threats against BR earlier.

current policy is :
a)don't post an item without the link
b)don't quote the whole item, only excerpts. people can read the whole article at the link if they want
c)exceptions to b) i.e you can post whole items only when the site does not archive.

some leniency is usually applied but it's best not to make it a habit ! :)

different mods devote their energy to different forums and issues and the fact that gerard is the primary "copyright nazi" should not be constructed to mean that the other mods are not in agreement with his methods.

fact is, we are fully in support of what gerard is doing and if we personally are not visible enforcing the same it only means we are frying different fish.
division of labour !

/hope that clears the air somewhat.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

One moderator's jehad does nothing to enhance Bharat Rakshak Forums' legal integrity as far as copyrights are concerned. There are plenty of copyright violations archived across thousands of posts. If someone wants to use copyright violation as a tool to harass or attack Bharat Rakshak Media, that is ammunition enough.

Since editing thousands of posts and making them copyright compliant would be a very time consuming affair, a more practical policy could be to allow members to post articles in full as we have been doing all this time.
I am all for copyright compliance. It is the members responsibility to post links and maybe an excerpt and not the whole article. When you post the whole article there are two things that we are doing - one is copyright infringement and the second is depriving the source website of its earned traffic.

I for one would discourage posting in full and would do the same as Gerard if it comes to that.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Jagan,

What about threads which have been started for archival purposes such as the NSG/MARCOS pics/articles thread we had during 26/11? There all of us posted articles in full so that they can be archived permanently and not lost since the original sites will probably take them down. Perhaps a better way is citing a Copyright notice giving year, ownership, URL and including it in the post.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Raja,

Most of the major newspapers are good at maintaining archives, so I dont foresee issues with them (IE, TOi, excelsior, tribune, Hindu etc). It is the 'web only' news sources that might have this issue. even among them, sites like rediff have a pretty good archival policy.

Same goes for blog posts. Blogger archives are forever and are not going anywhere. where possible a link should suffice (accompanied by excerpts) - the blogger is happy at the additional eyeballs he is getting, and we are happy at not flouting any copyright rules, and our forum pages load faster :).

we can make exceptions to sites that dont archive . But in many cases, we can find the same arcticles in archived sites. and exceptions should remain - exceptions.

As a guy who creates contents - I am always happy when someone posts an excerpt from our content - and then gives a link to drive traffic to BR . And we would like to extend the same courtesy to others.

-Jagan
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

To the Mods:
Is it possible for us to get the demographic breakup of the BRF users based on their location/ethnicity? perhaps it may throw up some interesting trends.
I have often felt South india has a healthier representation on BRF. (there are no ulterior motives in this statement)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SaiK wrote:some how the login details from session kinda taken from cookies!? on visiting other websites and coming back, it some how does not retain login information, and when i redo login, it would pick the login information from cookies, and say logged in, but for some reason the session does not hold on the information (my guess), and never lets in.

i have to kill the cookies, and then re login to access back.

:?:
when i just went to youtube.com, it would say something about my login that it did not understood, and became bad request. first i thought, it is to do with youtube.. then i thought about this issue here.. cleared my cookies, and tried again.. it went thru.

makes me think, that the money paid for bitdefender is a waste.. i feel i may be phished/attacked.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Moderators,

Please See Here and take action on the information provided.

TIA.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Moderators,

I can't access the Official History of the Second Kashmir War (1965). All links to PDF chapters of the official history, turn up a 404 Not Found.

Is the official history still available at BR, and if not, where could I find it?

Thanks.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Rudradev wrote:Moderators,

I can't access the Official History of the Second Kashmir War (1965). All links to PDF chapters of the official history, turn up a 404 Not Found.

Is the official history still available at BR, and if not, where could I find it?

Thanks.

The legacy links still exist - http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/ARMY/Hist ... index.html
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Moderators can someone update NSG page to include Mumbai attacks. Perhaps put the whole story how terrorist were neutralised and weapons used by black cats.

BTW am editing wiki to include weapons used by NSG especially during Mumbai attacks. Possibly with good looking stuff to create fear factor.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is it possible for Bharat Rakshak to release high resolution pictures of various weapons with smaller watermark to make them more presentable?
Distributing such wallpapers is a good way to make youngsters interested in Indian defence. Most of high quality pictures circulating on web are of foreign weapon systems. It's only after AI-09 that we got some really good pictures.
I don't know how to add watermark, but I can volunteer for adding a small text that displays copyright and a little technical information.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Mods, the Rs. 12K crore budget for Indian Human spaceflight program has been recently sanctioned by the Planning Commission and passing through the Cabinet is just a formality (I am not saying that). Therefore I want to start a new thread called "Indian Human Spaceflight Program" in the Military Forum.

I think the present "Indian Space Program" can't sustain many big and important topics and also as the program has been sanctioned by the Planning Commission I request for the creation of a new thread called "Indian Human Spaceflight Program". Regards
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Mods,

In the navy site, at http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/ship ... class.html it is mentioned that there are 3 Talwar class frigates in service. I spotted this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleanstrike/3318534402/ in Cochin sometime last year. Is this the third of the subsequent three frigates built? If so maybe we need to update the Navy site.
Willy
BRFite

Post by Willy »

Who is responsible for bug***** up the navy site? The older layout was wayyyyy better. Also a lot of information has just been wiped out specially of upcoming acquisations.
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

tsriram wrote:Mods,

In the navy site, ............. Is this the third of the subsequent three frigates built? If so maybe we need to update the Navy site.
I think the ship that you have just mentioned is INS Krishna, the training frigate for the Indian Navy, it has pennant number F 46.
Check this out

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/ship ... ishna.html
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

why is a senior poster (Philip) with over 2000 posts repeatedly posting the ENTIRE article and not heed common sense to only post the link? Check here for latest

Is he/she too senior to be approached?
Is it that he/she does not care?
Is it that his/her articles are words from Koran that must be followed verbatim?

(to explain how fckuing annoying that is, perhaps I should post that article again in its entirety here to prove a point... but will desist)

Why Why why...,
Admins, if you don't want to use the army, let me borrow it for a while...
I think Admins have gone soft lately, need serious butchers back again
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Anantz wrote:I think the ship that you have just mentioned is INS Krishna, the training frigate for the Indian Navy, it has pennant number F 46.
Check this out

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/ship ... ishna.html
Anantz,
thanks! This page - http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/ship ... igate.html says F46 will be a Krivak class frigate and commissioned in a couple of years or so. So will the Navy then have two frigates with teh same number?
Yusuf
BRFite

Post by Yusuf »

I had over a 100 posts but i just saw its less than that now. Where did my posts go? Been demoted from BRfite to Trainee :cry: :cry:
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Yusuf wrote:I had over a 100 posts but i just saw its less than that now. Where did my posts go? Been demoted from BRfite to Trainee :cry: :cry:
Don't worry man, there is no trophy for more number of posts. Sometimes the last digit being the invaluable zeero goes missing. You cannot complain for that.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

I had a complaint. The modified Naval section is not peautiful. It's difficult to search in the modified page. So request return to the old style.