Indo-UK: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK: News & Discussion

Post by Pranav »

Murugan wrote: Niyamgiri to Delhi, via London

Overnight, everything has changed. Now that the celebrity to beat all celebrities, Rahul Gandhi himself, has weighed in on the side of these tribals, the game’s over.

The Dongria Kondh aren’t agitating about deforestation and things. They’re arguing that the ugly mine and alumina factory will fundamentally change their traditional way of life, much as what happened to native Indians and Australian aboriginals way back, and as a distinct native culture, they have the right to protect their traditional lifestyle, religious beliefs and sacred mountains. It’s like you aren’t allowed to pull down a heritage or listed site just because it might make complete economic sense.
Apparently as per latest judgment, the tribals acquire rights over the entire ecosystem.

Will be useful to put a spoke into activities like uranium mining. Like the global warming scam, this is about crippling development activities.

The Clown Brince is expectedly kissing western elites' ass.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

moribund says UK immigration is stupid
Britain’s former foreign secretary David Miliband, frontrunner in the contest to be the leader of the opposition Labour party, says British government plans to place a cap on non-European migrants to the UK are “stupid” because current migration is mainly fuelled by Europeans.(spot on)Prime Minister David Cameron says he wants to build good relations with India and that’s good but then he has this silly, dangerous and misguided immigration cap. The cap doesn’t fit,” Miliband told HT in an exclusive interview ahead of the September 25 leadership vote.
The idea that you want to keep out of the country highly-skilled tax paying people is plain stupid. Either it’s meaningless because the reduction is so small or it’s dangerous — either way it sends a very bad message,” Miliband said.
Miliband, backed by a many Indian-origin politicians, added, “The big thing for me, and I’ve lived this out in this campaign, is that I see Diaspora communities in Britain are in the mainstream and not on the margins.
“And there’s no better example of that than the British community of Indian origin, because it’s a wonderful success story.
See what failure in elections does to moribund and his inner pakistaniayat. suck to sdres, gubo. :rotfl:
hope he is controlled like a dog on a leash.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

krisna wrote:moribund says UK immigration is stupid
Miliband, backed by a many Indian-origin politicians, added, “The big thing for me, and I’ve lived this out in this campaign, is that I see Diaspora communities in Britain are in the mainstream and not on the margins.
“And there’s no better example of that than the British community of Indian origin, because it’s a wonderful success story.
See what failure in elections does to moribund and his inner pakistaniayat. suck to sdres, gubo. :rotfl:
hope he is controlled like a dog on a leash.
We understand Pakis so well on BRF, but why can't I understand Indians. :evil:

Can't some of our BRFites living in Britain, tell other Indians, that this guy should be buried in the deepest spot on this planet. Muli-in-Bund deserves being forgotten!
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

@ Murugan ^^^

"If the Supreme Court will give a decision to allow mining here, all our Dongria Kondh people from children to old women will go to the factory and sleep on the road and say first you will kill us then you can mine, because we cannot live without our mountain," he says.

We watched as the Dongria made a special offering to the gods, the sacrifice of a water buffalo. It was brutal. The animal was tied to a stake. The witch doctor let out a shriek, and a dozen men set up on the buffalo with sticks and axes.

It bellowed and struggled for its life as they beat it and slashed at it all over. Finally it sank to the ground with a groan. Its head was severed and carried back to the village in triumph."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7486252.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have any more sympathy for these 'people' than I have for the donkey pelting Pakis. These people are not 'keepers'
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

RajeshA wrote: We understand Pakis so well on BRF, but why can't I understand Indians. :evil:

Can't some of our BRFites living in Britain, tell other Indians, that this guy should be buried in the deepest spot on this planet. Muli-in-Bund deserves being forgotten!
Indians have to work for both parties and make sure they toe the indian line. All bonds whether milli or centi or mega will change accordingly :lol: . Indians should use their whatever power they have to ensure this.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

krisna wrote:Indians have to work for both parties and make sure they toe the indian line. All bonds whether milli or centi or mega will change accordingly :lol: . Indians should use their whatever power they have to ensure this.
I have nothing against the New Labour. Indians should be in it, Indians should support it by all means, but why Muli-in-Bund?! Are there no other contenders?
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

RajeshA wrote: I have nothing against the New Labour. Indians should be in it, Indians should support it by all means, but why Muli-in-Bund?! Are there no other contenders?
From the above article
Miliband, whose main rival in the contest is his brother and ex-climate change secretary Ed, described the ruling Conservative party’s immigration campaign before the May general election as “disgraceful.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

I guess in 5 years , Milliband , much like England, will become lose significance.
But for the time being, he is a threat.

In Jan 2009, he mentioned that the Kashmir is the root cause of Pakistani grievances and Islamic terrorism against India. This , after the the London attacks.
That showed his mental calibre ( or the lack of it ). For someone so high up, making such a statement , despite the fast changing economic winds, is quite stupid.
Milliband has his priorities wrong and he needs to change his advisers pronto ( which I suspect are Paki ).

But Milliband's statenent then is actually an acknowledgement of UK's waning influence. Remember, in Jan 2009, what was first a trickle of body bags from Afghanistan, became a steady stream. Brown and Labour were vastly unpopular. Milliband's views reflected the domestic pressure.
He was aware that the Pakistani finger in Afghanistan was actually hurting him :twisted: and Labour in England. But yet, the UK could do nothing about it.
And much like a rabid dog biting and barking at everything, he blamed the Kashmir issue. His exalted view , was that the Indians should pay with Kashmir for safety of UK lives in Afgh.
Labour and Milliband are IMO not good for India.

Contrast that with David Cameron. He has his priorities right. Despite the lukewarm reception in India (effects of Milliband), he did not go empty handed and he is laying the groundwork for a safe bet.Cameron still has not given his complete position or Afghanistan. And I am sure he will banish the word Kashmir from Westminster during his tenure - he has far greater issues to worry about at home with the deficit. WHich is all good for us.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Neela ji,

That may be true, but still having a crackpot like Muli-in-Bund as the Leader of the New Labour Party with a shadow cabinet spewing all that s**t in the British Parliament against India, is a situation best avoided.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

RajeshA wrote:Neela ji,

That may be true, but still having a crackpot like Muli-in-Bund as the Leader of the New Labour Party with a shadow cabinet spewing all that s**t in the British Parliament against India, is a situation best avoided.
Agree. But:
The Milliband we are talking about seems to about the only person who has the stamina in the leadership contest. 100K pounds for his campaign, lots of air time etc.
British media seems to have made the decision for the Labour ranks already.

But there is hope: all someone needs to do is to deviate from the script and ask something out of the blue. Sure as hell he will blurt out something like what he said on Kashmir.
I have actually noticed that he sounds a little constipated while being on air. Carefully chosen and limited number of words being used. I think he knows he has a good lead and does not want to inadvertently ruin his chances.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

From the Hindustan Times, in May of this year, comparing elections in UK and India:

British polls no match for the Indian ones

Vir Sanghvi

A British general election is always much more fun for Indians to watch than a US Presidential election because the British system so closely parallels our own. Thanks to a combination of unintended factors I found myself in London on Thursday night just as the votes were being counted for the UK General Election.
I haven’t been in England on counting night for many years now so it was interesting to compare their election to ours.

First of all, let’s admit straight out that there are things that the British do better than us and election journalism (in print and on TV) is one of them. I have now been on TV during a fair number of Indian elections, both as anchor and as guest, and I won’t deny that nothing we do matches British standards. The graphics, the scale of the sets, the varied nature of the election programmes (many of ours degenerate into talk fests), the calibre of the anchors, the standard of the reporting, and most of all, the intelligence of the guests, are all far superior to ours. But mostly, it is the way that British politicians express themselves that makes the difference. Ours either hold forth at great and pompous length or get into silly fights.

Secondly, there are things that Indians now do better. The actual organisation of elections for one. Watching the results stream in on Thursday night I was struck by what a small-time affair a British election is compared to the massive, multi-phase enterprise that our Election Commission runs. Politicians would talk about winning 23,000 votes to get to Westminster and I would say to myself, “That’s not a very large majority by Indian standards.” It took me a while to realise that they were not discussing majorities. They were talking about total votes! Our elections where majorities of over 1 lakh(100,000) are not uncommon, are so much larger in scale.

But even this tiny exercise ran into all kinds of problems. Because turn-outs were high this year, some polling centres actually ran out of ballot papers. In many constituencies, polling was so badly managed that hundreds of voters were denied the opportunity to cast their votes.

The problem with ballot papers reminded me of something else. Whereas Indian elections are relatively high-tech affairs with electronic voting machines, British elections are stuck in the old 20th century methods. Consequently, it takes hours for votes to be counted and ages before trends emerge. Contrast this with our general election. I was on the NDTV election programme during our most recent election and it took Prannoy Roy only a couple of hours after the results starting streaming in to declare that the Congress would be the largest party in a hung Parliament.

Thirdly, we are used to hung Parliaments. Since 1984, when Rajiv Gandhi won by a landslide, no party has ever secured an overall majority at an Indian election. There are many reasons for this, including perhaps, India’s growing diversity and Rajiv’s decision to lower the voting age to 18. On the other hand, Britain, which is a far more homogeneous society than India,
has always prided itself on the stability of its democracy. First-past-the-post may not be the fairest electoral system but the Brits like it because they claim it usually throws up majority governments.

I can remember only one notable exception during my lifetime. In February/March 1974, Prime Minister Edward Heath called an election as part of his battle against striking miners. The British public was not convinced that this was an issue worthy of an election and Heath lost his majority even if the voters denied a full victory to his Labour opponents. In October 1974, a second election was held and Labour finally won a small majority.
The Thatcher and Blair years, with their decisive elections, made Britons forget the 1974 precedent. And certainly, there should have been a clear winner this time. Labour had been in power since 1997 and had led Britain into an unpopular war in Iraq. The country is in the grip of a recession and Prime Minister Gordon Brown is barely in control of his own party. A year ago, the Conservatives were 20 per cent ahead in the polls so this election should have been a wash-out for Labour.

In fact, the voters took away Brown’s majority but refused to give one to Conservative leader, David Cameron. Why should this be so? The only possible explanation is that British voters, like their Indian counterparts, are no longer enthusiastic enough about any one party to give it a clear majority.
Fourthly, this election established the value of debates. For decades, British prime ministers have refused to participate in American-style debates with their rivals. This year, a weakened Brown was forced to agree to three debates with Cameron and Liberal leader Nick Clegg.

I found the debates almost painful to watch. Cameron’s background is PR — so naturally, he was glib and articulate on TV. Clegg is young, good-looking, fresh, wears shiny gold ties and won over audiences with the sincere game-show host manner he had been taught by his handlers. The final effect was to see two well-spoken, well-dressed, young Englishmen run circles around poor, middle-aged, jowly, awkward Scotsman, Gordon Brown. Naturally, Brown lost every debate. And Clegg was the clear winner of the first, leading to talk of a Liberal revival.

I argued at the time that British voters would not regard the debates alone as being reason enough to make voting decisions. It was all very well to say that Clegg had won a debate. But did it follow that all those who admired his TV presentation skills would necessarily vote for him?

The results tend to support my position. The so-called Liberal revival faded on polling day and the party did roughly as well as before. As for Brown, he may have lost every debate but he still came back from behind, from being regarded as the man who would lead Labour to its worst defeat in 50 years, to denying David Cameron the overall majority that he should have had sown up.

So, yes, people do win debates on the basis of style over substance. But voters go for substance, anyway. They are not foolish enough to be blinded by style, let alone by gold ties.

It is too early to say how long this hung Parliament will last. But from an Indian point of view, there are things we can learn from Britain. We can run campaigns (and stage election programmes) that are more closely focused on the issues and we should encourage debates because voters can see past the superficialities of presentation.

On the whole, however, we have much to be proud about. We run the largest election in the democratic world. And we do a much better job of it than the Brits do with their little election.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Honour killing' parents dramatically re-arrested seven years after death of Shafilea Ahmed
The parents of suspected honour killing victim Shafilea Ahmed were dramatically re-arrested on suspicion of murder today almost seven years to the day since she went missing.
Taxi driver Iftikhar Ahmed, 50, and 47-year-old wife Farzana were held in a dawn swoop by police.
The arrest comes just days after another of their daughters was arrested on suspicion of masterminding an armed robbery at the family home.
Honour killings is the 2nd most common export after IT from the rentier state. :!: :((
Police have to start a separate dept in certain areas of Ukstan.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

YOU EVIL INDIANS, HOW DARE YOU DEFEND YOURSELVES FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO DESTROY YOU!!!!!!

More Bull$hit from the al guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... tani-orgin
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Once again, clever and false comparisons are made, with Ireland this time. India has lost far more people in just a few terrorist attacks supported by Pakistan, than the Brits have in more than 20. There's also the question of 4 wars on Indian soil, and the ongoing infiltration into Kashmir, that must be taken into consideration. If this writer wants to make a legit comparison, he would have to cite a country with similar circumstances.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

^^ Most of the comments are in Pro-India.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

New Indian Memorial Construction, Patcham Down, Sussex

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwgc/49232 ... 4673494273

My only problem with this is it's obscure location, they should have one in London, to remind the maximum people of the sacrifices made.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

US islamists 5-10 years behind UK islamists
Radical U.S. Muslim discussion groups are growing in influence much as similar forums did in 1990s Britain, a hardline British preacher(Anjem chaudhary) said on Wednesday, referring to a period when London was Europe's Islamist hub.
"I believe they (U.S. groups) are on the verge of something big," said Choudary, who follows the ultra-conservative Salafist brand of Islam, admires Anwar al-Awlaki, a Yemeni-based preacher who has called for attacks on the United States and says he has empathy with Somalia's al-Shabaab Islamist fighters.
"The seeds have been laid down by organizations like Revolution Muslim and Authentic Tawheed."
chickens are coming home to roost :!:
U.S. officials are worried about the emergence of so-called homegrown militants in the United States who apparently radicalized themselves by visiting Internet sites that host strongly anti-Western Islamist commentary written in English.
Among sites hosting such material are Revolution Muslim, the Islamic Thinkers' Society and Authentic Tawheed, which say they are non-violent, their online material is intended for education only and they merely speak up against tyranny and injustice.
"The Muslim community in Britain are a good five or 10 years ahead of America. What they were talking about now, we've been talking about for the last 15 years.
"Now they've suddenly started to call for the sharia and are coming out publicly...In general there's more freedom there."
Tussle between peace and violence. wonder who will win the hearts and mind of the faithfools.
Can the faithfools really understand the overall game plan of their masters- the ability to look beyond their noses.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Haresh wrote:YOU EVIL INDIANS, HOW DARE YOU DEFEND YOURSELVES FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO DESTROY YOU!!!!!!

Thanks Haresh!
Oh lookie lookie here in the comments section:
I had applied for a visa to attend USICON (urologists) conference in Agra. I booked hotel rooms, paid registration fee and bought BA tickets hoping that I would have no difficulty being a Briton. Just because I was born in the subcontinent the visa was refused. BA did not refund the fares either saying the tickets were non-refundable
:twisted:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

How Churchill wanted to assassinate Mussolini to cover up his earlier admiration for him! But this is understandable,as at that time Mussolini was being hailed as the greatest statesman of Europe and a peacemaker.It was when he joined hands with megalomaniac Hitler and followed the Fuhrer's path into war,that he fell from grace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... tters.html

Winston Churchill 'ordered assassination of Mussolini to protect compromising letters’
Winston Churchill ordered the assassination of Benito Mussolini as part of a plot to destroy potentially compromising secret letters he had sent the Italian dictator, a leading French historian has suggested.

By Henry Samuel, Paris
02 Sep 2010
Pierre Milza, an expert on fascist Italy, theorizes that the wartime prime minister may have wanted Mussolini dead to prevent the letters, in which Churchill expressed his admiration for his Italian counterpart before the outbreak of the Second World War, coming to light.

“There is no doubt, judging by his public declarations back in the 1920s and early 1930s, that Churchill was a fan of Mussolini. Roosevelt too,” Mr Milza said.

Related Articles
Britain planned Mussolini assassination

Britain at War: German planes circled above us for hours
Teens ignorant of WWII, poll finds“Churchill even once said: 'Fascism has rendered a service to the entire world... If I were Italian, I am sure I would have been with you entirely’.

“But that was understandable in 1927, as then a fascist did not mean a friend of Hitler and accomplice to genocide. But when you are head of state and legitimate war hero of the British people, you don’t really want all that put up in lights.”

Officially, Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci, were seized by Italian Communist partisans near Dongo on Lake Como as they tried to flee to Switzerland in April 1945.

Despite disguising himself as a drunk German officer in a mixed Italian and SS convoy, he was spotted. Both he and Petacci were shot and their bodies subsequently trussed up upside in a square in Milan the following day.

Writing in his book, The Last Days of Mussolini, Mr Milza says that this may explain why Churchill chose to holiday under a false name only a few miles from the spot Mussolini was seized.

“Perhaps he went there just to paint. It is credible, however that he was there for other reasons, as one now knows a certain number of trunks were thrown into the lake with documents and booty and perhaps the services had a look for them. We cannot complete eliminate this theory,” he said.

An Italian documentary released in 2004 included an account by former Italian partisan Bruno Lonati, who says he part of a two-man team tasked with getting rid of the couple.

Mr Lonati claimed that he acted with a British Special Operations Executive agent codenamed Captain John, real name Robert Maccarone, who had been sent to Italy to eliminate Mussolini and retrieve “very important” documents. The documents have never been found.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Haresh wrote:YOU EVIL INDIANS, HOW DARE YOU DEFEND YOURSELVES FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO DESTROY YOU!!!!!!

The comments mention that he walked out of the Timesnow program in a huff!

Any links? :twisted:
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

^^^

TimesNow site lin does not work
Part of the video saved here.

http://zoomtv.smashits.com/video/18917/ ... acist.html

What I can gather is this Wintermute compared India to Nazi Germany because 3 Pakis were denied visas.

I liked it though at the end...he walks off after Maroof's words.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

^ Excellent job by the journalists.

My take: Media should not criticize the government when government has not done anything wrong. As a matter of fact, it is the function of Indian media to counter anti India propaganda from racist news media like the ones from UQ. Kudos to both sharp journalists.

Another thing Indian media has to start doing is start highlighting all the racism and bigotry that exists in UQ against minorities (muslims and others).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

bart wrote:

The comments mention that he walked out of the Timesnow program in a huff!

Any links? :twisted:

I actually saw this joker on TV throwing a fit and storming out.

He was on a video link from under which ever slimy rock he calls home.

Good riddance to really bad british rubbish.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Hare Krishna temple in U.K. on fire after explosion

A Hare Krishna temple in Leicester, England was burning Friday after an explosion, the Press Association of Great Britain reported.

Television images showed a building in flames.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

BBC are saying that there was an explosion. Sun TV (India) says it was a bomb.

Initial reports say that all people were accounted for according to local radio.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

I bet it was the hindoo extremists!
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

(BBC)Radical Islam is world's greatest threat - Tony Blair

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has described radical Islam as the greatest threat facing the world today.
Mr Blair said he agonised over how to respond to radical Islam and still had doubts that he was right.

These are really difficult issues, he said, but added: "This extremism is so deep that in the end they have to know that they're facing a stronger will than theirs."
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Gas cylinders powering a large cooker leaked:

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Neela wrote:^^^

TimesNow site lin does not work
Part of the video saved here.

http://zoomtv.smashits.com/video/18917/ ... acist.html

What I can gather is this Wintermute compared India to Nazi Germany because 3 Pakis were denied visas.

I liked it though at the end...he walks off after Maroof's words.
Good video. The moron had a square danda put in his backside and twisted round and round and round - which is exactly the right prescription for bench-odd people.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Wintermute is typical of the left/liberal/labour/socialist elite in the UK.
They have an alliance of sorts with the islamists and wil make every excuse under the sun for them. First it was Israel & now it is India.
They take the sanctamonious view that they are so morally superior to all and they fail to recognise the threat posed.
They condemn US occupation of Afghanistan as imperialism and yet complain that the west is not doing enough for the rights of afghan women & gays.

In the UK we have a gay rights/left wing group called Outrage, led by a chap called Peter Tatchell
SOme time ago they attended a "Freedom for Palestine" demo, the result........
They were attacked and beaten by the islamists, it was sad but what did they expect?? :lol:

A british writer Nick Cohen wrote a book called "What's left" about the left's alliance with radical islam
& defence of views that go against everything they claim to stand for:
womens/gay rights, racial equality, slavery elitism etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Left-Libe ... 493&sr=1-1

the left in the UK has traditionally been supported by the "asian" community, however the split is becoming more clear.
The Indians are better educated/more successful & are increasingly supporting the conservatives.
India is the salvation of Britain in economic terms, what do the islamists pf pak/beggerdesh/arabia/chechnya offer??
votes yes & also internal security headaches and a drain on the public purse.

Labour a bunch of arseholes.

The problem with socialism is that sooner or later you run out of other people money.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Just found this on the al guardian, it confirms my views above.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ed-support
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Re: Mussolini and Hitler.

These guys were gushingly admired all over the west for their fabled power of stopping communism. Roosevelt called Hitler 'that wonderful Austrian gentleman'. Hitler and Henry Ford used to keep a photograph of each other on their office tables, IIRC. :)
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Queen-fur ... 95952.aspx
Queen furious over Tony Blair memoirs
ANI
London, September 04, 2010

The Queen is angry with Tony Blair as he has branded her snooty in his new autobiography, A Journey. His memoirs lifted the lid on life with the royals and Her Majesty is not impressed. The ex-PM described the Queen as stuck-up and divulged details of their private conservations,
including how she handled Princess Diana’s death. Palace insiders have accused Blair of betraying her trust.
This is the book,

Journey: My Political Life - Tony Blair

and it's available from the usual shady sources. Pick it up before it gets deleted. :)
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

BA-Iberia could buy Indian airline, says Willie Walsh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... Walsh.html
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Tony Blair: Regrets, He's Got a Few, But Too Few to Mention
Interview with Christine amanpour-

some quotes-
about Iraq-
"You can't not have regrets about the lives lost," Blair told Amanpour. "I mean, you would be inhuman if you didn't regret the death of so many extraordinary, brave and committed soldiers, of civilians that have died in Iraq, or die still now in Afghanistan. And of course you feel an enormous responsibility for that, not just regret," he said.
said he did not fully understand the depth and breadth or "tentacles" of Islamic fundamentalism that nearly tore Iraq apart. :!: (saddam had ruled with a secular iron fist and kept the islamic fundamnetalism at bay)He now sees the fight as a long generational struggle akin to the West's fight against communism in the second half of the 20th century.
Blair said that before 9/11 he did not fully grasp "how deep this ideological movement is. …[T]his is actually more like the phenomenon of revolutionary communism. It's the religious or cultural equivalent of it, and its roots are deep, its tentacles are long, and its narrative about Islam stretches far further than we think into even parts of mainstream opinion who abhor the extremism, but sort of buy some of the rhetoric that goes with it," Blair said.
"I think a lot of people don't understand that this is a generational-long struggle," he added.
"
on Afghanisthan-
Speaking about the threat of extremism in Afghanistan, he said that the "best way to look at this is, if you analyze it by analogy or reference to revolutionary communism, the fact is you wouldn't have said at any point in time when we were facing that threat, 'well, you're not telling us we're going to have to spend a few more years on this, are you?' People would have said, 'well, we'll spend as long as we need to spend, I'm afraid,' and that's just it.
On Iran-He wants Iran to be new clear free come what may, does not r/o military option.
On Dick Cheney-
His world view was that the world had to be remade after September the 11th,"
he thought the world had to be made anew, and that after 11 September, it had to be done by force and with urgency. So he was for hard, hard power. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. We're coming after you, so change or be changed."
remember Gola peeing in his pants. :rotfl:
His views on nations which are a threat to west-
"It's possible over time with the right combination of hard and soft power, I think, to get to the point where nations that we regard or did regard as threats become allies," Blair continued. "But that is not always going to have a hard power solution it."
Some choice quotes on personalities--
Bill clinton-
"I was…convinced that his behavior arose in part from his inordinate interest in and curiosity about people. In respect of men, it was expressed in friendship; in respect of women, there was potentially a sexual element."
Monica where are you?
Diana is like female clinton-
if she was ever in politics, even Clinton would have to watch out.
...I had the feeling she could fall out with you as easily as fall in with you. :lol:
Barack [Obama] was the supreme master of realism, cautioning an approach based on reaching out, arriving at compromises and striking deals to reduce tension."
we will see that in af pak

Mr Blair seems to have a pretty strong views on many people and of islamic fundamentalism.

Meanwhile his memoirs seems to have broken record sales
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

x-posted, sorts:
Urban Plight: Vanishing Upward Mobility

Select, UQ related excerpts:
Perhaps nowhere is the growing class divide more evident than in London, perhaps the world’s most important megacity. Despite a massive expansion of Britain’s huge welfare state, the ladder for upward mobility seems broken, especially in London. This represents a dramatic shift from the period after World War II. In the ensuing decades, incomes for most Londoners grew, access to education expanded, and the sharply drawn and notorious class lines began to blur.
Even less noted has been London’s deepening concentration of poverty. Today more than one-third of the children in inner London are living in poverty, as are one in five in the outer ring communities. London has the highest incidence of child poverty in Great Britain, even more than the beleaguered Northeast.

Poverty also affects 30 percent of working-age adults, more than one-third of pensioners in inner London, and roughly one in five in outer London. The inner London rates are the worst in Britain. More than 1 million Londoners were on public support in 2002. These figures are certain to become worse as a result of the recession that began in 2008.
The unemployment figures and the pension-poverty is certain to worsen, IMHO. Maybe its time UQ rethink its 'aid' to TSP. Its better spent amongst its own deprived.
The conditions are certainly not as extreme as those recorded in Friedrich Engels’s searing 1844 tome, The Condition of the Working Class in England, but there remains a macabre relationship between mortality and geography. Steve Norris, a former Conservative Party chairman and onetime head of London Transport, notes that public health data published by the King's Fund demonstrates that life expectancy in the poorer parts of east London is 4.5 years lower than in West London. That's six months for every station east of Waterloo on the Jubilee Line. This poverty, Norris adds, extends to many white Londoners. They often live cheek to jowl with immigrants, and feel themselves competing for housing, jobs, and government services. The rich, Norris adds, “Buy their way out of poor quality education and healthcare” while the working and middle classes “queue for public housing for themselves and their children.”
Of note is the rise of the phenomena among the white working class described as “yobbism.” Large parts of Britain—including less fashionable corners of London—suffer among the highest rates of alcohol consumption in the advanced industrial world. London School of Economics scholar Dick Hobbs, who grew up in a hardscrabble section of east London, traces this largely to the decline of the blue-collar economy in London. Over the past decade, job gains in Britain, like those in the United States, have been concentrated at the top and bottom of the wage profile. The growth in real earnings for blue-collar professions—in industry, warehousing, and construction—generally has lagged those of white-collar workers.

One other thing is clear: the welfare state has not reversed the growing class divide. Despite its proletarian roots, New Labour, as London Mayor Boris Johnson acidly notes, has presided over what has become the most socially immobile society in Europe.
And so on and on.

Sure, Des and its cities and iots citizens are 10000000 times worse off than the TFTA UQites only. Agreed. Put that aside and read on.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cric ... 70749.html
Poak and Broat
And this week India outdid itself again, with a breathless display of hypocrisy and schadenfreude from its media that Pakistan's own, sometimes narrow-minded press might have struggled to match. The topic? Match-fixing.Until last week's revelations by the News of the World reverberated around all cricket-playing nations, much of India's English-language media had been preoccupied by the nation's faltering preparations for the Commonwealth Games, due to begin in Delhi in less than a month.
Da Khujli
Such was its dedication to trying to expose such homegrown corruption that potential news distractions such as the massive flooding in Pakistan, which had inundated a fifth of the country, were barely given pause for thought. Indeed, the floods only really made the news pages when there was an angle that made President Asif Ali Zardari look bad (of which there was no shortage) or else suggested the military was going to launch a coup (which was not true, but that did not stop it being written.) But then the NoW scoop landed with a mighty thud and suddenly there was something else to go on the front page.
Da Solace
The slothful response of the authorities, revelations that landowners may have diverted floodwaters to protect their own lands and claims that Pakistan's reputation for corruption may have dissuaded potential aid donors, have set in motion a widespread debate that could lead in many directions.But in India, that has yet to happen. Dodgy payments have been revealed, favouritism in the awarding of contracts has been highlighted and yet, so far, a more fundamental public examination of why and how corruption affects everyone from the lowest to the highest in society and, crucially, how it might be countered, has not gone ahead. It is something that India, a country with huge potential but held back by this wretched, corrosive corruption, cannot afford to avoid
Bhoot Jalkoia Served In Msuahrraf
Very silly comic article. What if I assume the same comic silliness and write in response to this artcle that UK should fix itself not fixate India. That it should concentrate on getting its citizens safely out of Afghanistan and not on the behaviour of Indian press reporting cricket scandals!
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Here is the video of Tony Blair's interview with Christiane Amanpour of This Week:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/to ... 933&page=1

I thought he was well spoken.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Student immigration levels unsustainable, says minister
Airport arrivals sign Official figures show net migration to the UK increased to almost 200,000 last year

The number of foreign students let into the UK is "unsustainable", Immigration Minister Damian Green is to say.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

British MP's wife found working as a sex worker
Sunday Mirror' reported that Tory MP Mike Weatherley's Brazilian wife Carla, 39, works at three seedy brothels
Weatherley met Carla 10 years ago while he was on a business trip to Rio de Janeiro. Sources say that she was already then a sex worker. There is, however, nothing to suggest that Weatherley knew.
However, in February, as Weatherley geared up for the poll campaign, she re-entered the sex industry.
During the campaign, Weatherley took Carla to a number of political functions in the Hove and Portslade constituency.
wonder if some of the british politicians used her as a political tool.Interesting if the names of the honourable MPs :mrgreen: are made public. :lol:
we already have the footballers, now this. what is happening to ukstan