Indo-UK: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Re: Indo-UK: News & Discussion

Post by derkonig »

Singha wrote:access into a 1.5T 8% growth economy must NEVER be sold cheaply.
Well MMS & the uber partiotic INC are just giving it away for free be it the CRE nuke deal, the n-liability bill, bhopal compensation, telecom spectrum, you name it MMS sold it. Guess, US & EJ interests now have the first claim on India's resources, even above the uber partiotic & INC's fav minority
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

The nuke deal has almost no supporters in the west except for Bush's immediate entourage, so whatever MMS has sold off, the buyers are far from happy with and are now scratching their heads about how to tackle the imminent china-pak nuke deal

if you dig under the bhopal mess, no doubt a lot of money will have changed hands... [puke]

not sure what the problem was with the spectrum, GOI made a lot of revenue on it as they should, and the ambani bros paid handsomely (and probably to the same people as above) to get the rights. in years to come they will make a lot of money on it

and whilst we may tell foreigners to take a hike, there is a lot of work to do on good governance, economic empowerment and so on... we haven't miraculously transformed into the first world just yet
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:Man, she went on and on about the poverty until I was constrained to point out that it was her bloody ancestors who had stolen it all.

Gorons need to be educated by relating to the caste system to their own foibles. Feel free to relate it to the Christian classes of piety:protestants, catholics, Mormons, Orthodox etc. Racism is something they should be able to understand as well.

Just confirms the stereotype of the Goron:consumes vast quatities of animal parts but gags on plain, white yoghurt. :rotfl:
Not to mention the very potent existence of Brahmin christians in Goa. I point to matrimonial ads in goan newspapers seeking brahmin christians!!
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chetak wrote:Not to mention the very potent existence of Brahmin christians in Goa. I point to matrimonial ads in goan newspapers seeking brahmin christians!!
Is this actually still happening? I had thought that this was a joke, that in Goa you could find ads like "Proposal invited for RC [Roman Catholic] Brahmana, RC Kshatriya" etc.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sachin wrote:
chetak wrote:Not to mention the very potent existence of Brahmin christians in Goa. I point to matrimonial ads in goan newspapers seeking brahmin christians!!
Is this actually still happening? I had thought that this was a joke, that in Goa you could find ads like "Proposal invited for RC [Roman Catholic] Brahmana, RC Kshatriya" etc.
As per my goan friends, still going on saar.

I actually know some "Brahmin christians".

They use it as an indication of their high born status
and social standing. :)

An oxymoron as good as any that I have heard.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

everyone here should get hold of two books : R.C.Dutts "Economic History Of India" - early British period., and R.P Dutts work on similar lines. R.C.Dutts book could be available on archiv dot org.

Just blast it out straight away. Brits who know me usually do not raise anything about Indian poverty/casteism/racism/religious backwardness. This shutting down of big traps is important. Over time it will have an impact on the self-esteem of the Brits. Given that we have such towering intellectual authorities like our current honourable prime minister as manifested in his Oxford acceptance speech, it could be an uphill and difficult task. But still, why should we be defeated by the efforts of one man or even a collection of such men and women maintained at the taxpayers expense.?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

x-posted from eco forum. read this 4 page article esp page3 and 4 - piskology and insights at its best

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 986976.ece

topic is london based financial types going to switzerland to evade high taxes.
lsunil
BRFite

Post by lsunil »

krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

surinder wrote:
Most of them are still in denial mode and dont appreciate the changes happening in india. For them any discussion on india starts with poverty and ends with caste system.
The most effective technique to argue, I have discovered, is to say the blunt truth.
Had a conversation related to India with an elderly lady originally from Uk settled in massaland.
- She informed me that we were lucky to have english because british ruled us!! hence we are in large numbers in massaland/UK.
- I replied back- Indian leaders had the foresight to educate us in english as the language of future. No other former colony of britain has done it. it is a white lie to credit britain for it. Britain caused famines and divided India. We were jewels in their crown. We repaid their debt many times over.
Britian made India poorer by looting from us. Also laughingly said that they would have taken the railway tracks also if it was possible to do so.

No more conversation about greatness of britain from that lady.

I have to thank BRF for all the education.
satyam
BRFite

Post by satyam »

Britain’s Foreign Aid to India: £1.9 Billion(in 10 years). Cost of India’s New International Airport: £1.9 Billion
http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/britain%E2%8 ... 19-billion

So now they think that we have constructed Delhi airport from their money. Fkn ba$tards.

Last year, :evil:

StanChart India profit crosses $1-bn

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=in
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

krisna wrote:Had a conversation related to India with an elderly lady originally from Uk settled in massaland.
- She informed me that we were lucky to have english because british ruled us!! hence we are in large numbers in massaland/UK.
- I replied back- Indian leaders had the foresight to educate us in english as the language of future. No other former colony of britain has done it. it is a white lie to credit britain for it. Britain caused famines and divided India. We were jewels in their crown. We repaid their debt many times over.
Britian made India poorer by looting from us. Also laughingly said that they would have taken the railway tracks also if it was possible to do so.

No more conversation about greatness of britain from that lady.

I have to thank BRF for all the education.

Tell her that Indians have the best linguistic faculties int he world. Even an uneducated Indian routinely speaks 2-3 languages, sometimes even as many as 5. Our kids, even in India, routinely switch between 3 languages. So learning English was no big deal for us. Also, it is Indians that learned english, so the entire credit goes to them, what kind of twisted logic it is that the one who hasn't learned is claiming credit?

Also you can tell her, that Naziis were executed for lesser crimes than Gen. Dyer was accused of. British killed of 30 million in many famines. India contributed (or made to contribute) billions of sterlings for WW1 and WW2. Actually, without Indian help, UK might be speaking German, but in that case their economy might be better!!! So we apologize for preventing you from learning German.
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

Krisna,
you should have pointed out to her....if UK is such a great country why is she settled in USA?

A few weeks ago I ran into a hair dresser lady from Belgium who is in NYC for the last few months. Between her ressentment of the fact that a dark skinned hybrid Jew is settled in NYC and gloating of how great Belgium, she was dissing on just about every immigrant who passed by. I just could not hold how pissed I was and infront of everyone who could listen...I asked her if Belgium was such a great place why the **** is she in the USA and if she had problems with the people from Ghana, Mexico or Filipines....she should get the earliest flight and get the hell out of USA.

There are a whole bunch of such kinda ppl around.
Avram
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Ministers to build a new "special relationship" with India

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... India.html

The wheel has turned full circle!!!
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

satyam - the BNP is a far right organisation that is highly racist. most of its members have very low IQ's and are street thugs, with a few intelligent fascists in charge. you cannot take anything they say with any degree of seriousness
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Haresh wrote:Ministers to build a new "special relationship" with India

The wheel has turned full circle!!!
All the more reason for us not to trust these buggers!!
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

^
Second that.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

krisna wrote:
Had a conversation related to India with an elderly lady originally from Uk settled in massaland.
Counter that by saying that the only reason that English is relevant is because so many people in India and America speak it. If not for that it would be another regional language like dutch or swahili. So they have to thank us for keeping their language relevant. They can tag along and hang on to our coat tails like they have America's but only if they behave and know their place.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

chetak wrote:Ministers to build a new "special relationship" with India
I shudder when i think of banking & financing companies making inroads into India.

From savers they will turn Indians into paupers through the miracle of paper schemes & scams.

Insurance, finance, real estate paper scams are now legendary in the west. The ponzi scheme cannot expand any futher domestically and is now being exported to India to draw in more suckers.

Already a number of firms are pushing the concept of paper gold like GLD which claim to have gold backing their paper in some vault in a far away land. Along with that is a maze of legal disclaimers and clever attempts to define what gold and 'gold investments' are and other mumbo jumbo.

My guess is there is no gold in any vault and they are just selling worthless paper.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Lalmohan wrote:satyam - the BNP is a far right organisation that is highly racist. most of its members have very low IQ's and are street thugs, with a few intelligent fascists in charge. you cannot take anything they say with any degree of seriousness
Yes but this logic permeates many sections of society, check the comments section of any Times/Telegraph/Guardian blog on India, or do a quick search for India on ARRSE.

This is the direct result of systematic denial and often glorification of the holocaust perpetrated by Imperial Britain.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The new British govt. is making a huge new initiative to engage with India after dumping the Blairite-Brown foreign policy of kowtowing to US Marshals in all matters.When in the Uk recently,the media was full of reports that the new For.Sec.William Hague had spelt out in clear terms his govts. wish to give relations with India the highest priority,taking advantage of the huge Indian diaspora in the Uk, (law abiding unlike some Pakis) and helping in building up the UK's economy wth industrialists like Mittal and Tata in the forefront of such events. This is to be welcomed very much as with UK support India's role in global affairs in both economic and strategic matters will benefit India,especially when it comes to Britain more sensitive to India on matters regarding Paki perfidy in the region.The transfer of high-tech British and European weapons tech. and denial of the same to terrorist state Pak., must be one of the items on India's list of prioroties when engaging with the new British PM David Cameron and his enthusiastic For.Sec.Mr.Hague.

Ministers to build a new "special relationship" with India
David Cameron will lead a senior cabinet delegation to New Delhi later this month to build a new "special relationship" with India in an attempt to boost trade.

Excerpts:
Foreign Secretary William Hague, Chancellor George Osborne and Business Secretary Vince Cable will be among ministers who will accompany him to help create an 'enhanced partnership' with one of the world's fastest growing economies.

Ministers believe Britain must dramatically increase its business collaboration with Indian companies and universities to win a share of retail, banking and services markets which are expected to grow by 10 per cent per year.

Related Articles
William Hague turns to Brazil and India for new foreign links
Indian supermodel tries to have British husband deported
British-born Kashmir minister quits over sex scandal

announced earlier this week that it may deregulate its retail sectors in a move that could allow British supermarket giants like Tesco and Sainsburys to establish new stores throughout the country. Much of India's farm produce rots en route to market because it has too few refrigerated trucks and lacks a modern transport logistics management.

Britain is also hoping India will lift restrictions in the banking, insurance, financial and professional services sectors and to allow law and accountancy firms to practise in the country. They believe British universities could help meet India's growing demand for higher education places if they were allowed to set up new colleges on Indian soil.

The priority given to boosting ties with India, which has an estimated 250 million English speakers, was outlined in the Conservatives' and Liberal Democrats' coalition agreement when they took power in May.

A call for a 'new special relationship' was followed by a speech by Mr Hague last week in which he said Britain will decline if it does not develop business and political links with rising economies like India, Brazil and China.
"India and Britain have strong historical bonds and the British understand India better than any other country in the world," he said.

"It is in Britain and India's interests to sign protocols which can help mutual trade and investment to grow. The scale of David Cameron's first visit as prime minister will show Britain is giving importance to India," he (Hinduja) said.

The prime minister's decision to take so many senior Cabinet colleagues with him later this month is said to be aimed at stressing the government's desire for a long-term, strategic relationship rather than a series of short-term contracts.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Bart - according to the FT website, the UK provided £850M in aid to India over the past 3 years, I think India should say, no thanks, don't need it anymore
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

most (but not all) aid is provided to pvt NGO's and some local level govt administrative orgs who work with them, I'm not sure the centre has any say on the matter unless there are law and order questions.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Britain could also say no more
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

so what stops them, certainly not the GOI ?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the emerging UK policy proposal is probably going to be to stop aid to India
(although private organisation to NGO 'charity' flows will continue)
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Will the UQ trash the transit visa, and personal appearance BS?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Op-Ed from Pioneer, 9 July 2010
EDITS | Friday, July 9, 2010 |

UK discovers jihad gene

Premen Addy

The unauthorised version of the British Labour Party’s Book of Numbers may well read: Old Labour begat New Labour and New Labour begat Rotten Labour, from whose seed sprang rottweiler Dennis MacShane, once a junior Minister at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office during the Tony Blair dispensation. He snarled menacingly at India in the columns of The Independent, a paper whose diatribe on the anniversary of Indian independence in August 1989 was headlined, “From prig to bully in 42 years.”

Mr MacShane is the MP for Rotherham, scarcely in England’s green and pleasant land today; it is but a crumbling desolation of congested back streets, halal shops, kebab and curry takeaways, madarsas and mosques, populated mainly by Pakistanis from Mirpur and Punjab and kindred locations betwixt and between the Mediterranean and Arabian Seas. Sartorially this is Pakistani North-West Frontier, with a sprinkling of burqas intensifying the encircling gloom.

Lead kindly light, you might whisper, except there’s no gleam in this heart of darkness. The spirit of the place is jihadi, and MPs keen to protect their parliamentary bailiwicks take on board the primordial concerns and grievances of their Islamic constituents. Unless they are hopelessly principled and prefer enlightened company and the open spaces offensive to confined sensibilities.

Mr MacShane took a cross-batted swipe at what he described as London’s supercilious pro-Indian elite; he castigated them for ignoring Pakistan, where democracy and gender equality, may be too minute to register on the Richter scale, but, according to him, were moving and shaking the country amid its myriad misfortunes. India, he growled, may have its millionaires and billionaires, but its vast swathes of poverty, deprivation and illiteracy found no favour with him (nor do they with Indians with eyes to see and ears to hear).

Worse, Mr MacShane was appalled by an alleged Indian plan to invade Pakistan and initiate a nuclear conflagration; and he accused New Delhi of killing more Muslims than any power on Earth. That required some telling, seeing that his erstwhile master, Mr Tony Blair, was a rogue accomplice in Mr George W Bush’s war in Iraq, which has claimed to date well over a million Iraqi lives. Today, Mr Blair stands not in the dock answering for that war, but as facilitator in a counterfeit West Asia peace process. As an entertaining public speaker and memoirist, he is a one-man dollar mint, with enough reserves to rescue embattled Greece from financial collapse.

But Britain’s big battalions, having read the runes, are beating the Indian drum. Mr Ratan Tata was recently made an honorary doctor of law (honoris causa) by Cambridge University; he spent an entire day mingling with students and teachers and called on the heads of the engineering and specialised technology faculties for informal exchanges. The university should be the richer courtesy the famed Tata philanthropy.

This could be viewed as a prologue to British Prime Minister David Cameron and Foreign Secretary William Hague’s forthcoming passage to India, with a high powered delegation of businessmen and educationists in tow. The aim is to reset the Indo-British button and elevate the relationship to an exalted level of trust and co-operation. A commentator in The Daily Telegraph, writing about Mr Cameron’s intention to charm Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to turn our “shared heritage” into a “favoured nation” pact for mutual benefit, reminded the paper’s readers that “India’s Tata is Britain’s largest manufacturer — it owns Jaguar, Land Rover and Corus Steel.”

And while “Britain’s economy flatlines with the rest of Europe, with growth rates between one per cent and two per cent, India is expected to grow at up to nine per cent for the next three years”. But for all its current travails Britain, he said, still possessed inherent technological strengths and organisational experience from which India could profitably draw.

It has taken awhile for such wisdom to dawn in Whitehall’s corridors of power. There is nothing quite like a crisis, whether it be a faltering economy or a draining Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan, to concentrate minds, and the prevailing minds in London are determined to shake off the rust in Indo-British ties with a lubricant of realism and common sense.

There is thus ample scope for a rewarding Indo-British strategic dialogue, which must of necessity include intensified cooperation against violent Islamism. Last Wednesday, after all, was the fifth anniversary of the London bombings and the loss of 51 innocent lives. Mr Robin Simcox, the co-author of the study, Islamist Terrosim — The British Connections, for the Centre for Social Cohesion think-tank, has remarked: “There are clear trends emerging with those involving themselves in terrorist activity in the UK. It is crucial that this is recognised and then acted upon by the relevant authorities."

To whom and to what was he referring? Simply this: That of the 124 profiles of individuals convicted of terrorism offences linked to Islamic jihad since 1999, as many as 69 held British nationality. From which one may naively conclude that terrorist activity in the UK is mostly native. But that is to miss the point: To juxtapose the complexities of human identity with the simple legalism of a passport. Truth is that Britain’s ‘homegrown’ jihadis are overwhelmingly of Pakistani ethnicity, the remaining few belong directly to any one of a number of Muslim societies scattered around the world. As significant numbers of them insist on maintaining their religious and cultural purity from what they perceive to be the defiling contamination of non-believers, legions of the faithful regard their British passports as flags of convenience; in essence the holders are not British, and to their credit, have never pretended to be.

The 7/7 London bombers proclaimed their determination to destroy Britain and replace it with a divinely ordained Universal Caliphate operating the sharia’h. For them democratic freedoms, as the Devil’s licence, were an anathema. Complementing the Simcox findings was the warning emanating from Mr John Yates, Metropolitan Assistant Commissioner and Britain’s foremost counter-terrorism officer, that the Government’s “eye-watering cuts” in funding could give an advantage to Al Qaeda and its allies.

When Mumbai-based Islamic tele-evangelist, Zakir Naik, applied for a visa to visit Britain, the Home Office slammed the door on his face. He condemns terrorism, he says, but if Osama bin Laden “is fighting the enemies of Islam, I am for him”. Home Secretary Teresa May was having none of this double talk. She deserves emulation in India, where television networks have levitated Zakir Naik to celebrity status.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Folks, is now the time for the raising the stakes with the UK. Access should not come cheap.

The ASI is joining hands with Greece for recovery of the treasures. That is something I have wanted to see happen in my lifetime.
The other thing is : how can UK make amends for the colonial rule?
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Old article.But an excellent critique of the "Britain is full" argument if you want the other side of the story on that particular point.

Ignore the anti-immigrant hysteria, Britain is not full
satyam
BRFite

Post by satyam »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^nothing to do with this thread.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

No more we have to hear about "My pound going to their space program" stupidity
U.K. may cut foreign aid to ‘rich’ India
http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... 510910.ece

Under pressure to reduce its foreign assistance, Prime Minister David Cameron may scale down the 250 million pound British aid given to India annually, saying wealthy local people could do more to help their poor countrymen.

International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell has signalled that the “250 million pounds of public money spent annually on nuclear-armed India {having khujli} could be scaled back.” He said the rich NRI population of Britain could do more to help their countrymen.

Jo Johnson, a Conservative MP and brother of London Mayor Boris Johnson, wrote in The Financial Times: “India can now fund its own development needs, considerable though they are in a country with 450 million poor. It has a defence budget of $ 31.5 billion, plans for a prestige-boosting moon-shot and a substantial foreign aid programme of its own“. :(( :(( :(( {Now they resemble exactly like the Pakis. Twins.} :rotfl:

He added: “India is not China; but as a claimant to a permanent Security Council seat and a place at the top table of world affairs, :(( it is also no longer a natural aid recipient.”

{I'm happy that the time is coming near when you guys can make statements like "My Rupee is wasted on Harry's birthday bash.} :rotfl:
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

An Irishman's Guide to the History of Bharat and Irish Contribution to Oust UKstanis from Bharat

http://brenspeedie.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Then Why UKstan takes credit

The medical works of both Sushruta and Charak were translated into Arabic language during the Abbasid Caliphate (750 AD).[5] These Arabic works made their way into Europe via intermediaries.[5] In Italy the Branca family of Sicily and Gasparo Tagliacozzi (Bologna) became familiar with the techniques of Sushruta.[5]

British physicians traveled to India to see rhinoplasty being performed by native methods.[6] Reports on Indian rhinoplasty were published in the Gentleman's Magazine by 1794.[6] Joseph Constantine Carpue spent 20 years in India studying local plastic surgery methods.[6] Carpue was able to perform the first major rhinoplasty in the western world by 1815.[7] Instruments described in the Sushruta Samhita were further modified in the Western World.[7]
satyam
BRFite

Post by satyam »

David Cameron and team to carpet bomb India

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ia/401342/
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

I see Belfast is warming up again:
Clicky
Nationalist protesters brandish the Irish tricolour flag during clashes with police in Belfast, Northern Ireland, late Monday July 12, 2010. Police struggled Monday overnight till early Tuesday, to quell rioting by Irish Catholic nationalists in several parts of Northern Ireland following a day of mass Protestant parades, an annual event that often pushes sectarian animosity past boiling point.
Started with the Orangemen as always.
"Nationalists"
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

You gotta hand it to the Brits. The really do know how to play the Anglophile Dilli Billis from the Haw Haw schools and wannabe Haw Haw folks like a drum.

See, this attention, adulation and chumminess from the Brits is what the Brit Wannabes , the Dilli Billis absolutely crave for. Stroking their ego and allowing them to preen is the best way to milk them. It is a totally no cost, all gain business that the Brits are going to reap a bounty from .

The Dilli Billi fools will be left holding the can when the winds shift and the Brits go on to others and dump the Billis.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vina wrote:

You gotta hand it to the Brits. The really do know how to play the Anglophile Dilli Billis from the Haw Haw schools and wannabe Haw Haw folks like a drum.

See, this attention, adulation and chumminess from the Brits is what the Brit Wannabes , the Dilli Billis absolutely crave for. Stroking their ego and allowing them to preen is the best way to milk them. It is a totally no cost, all gain business that the Brits are going to reap a bounty from .

The Dilli Billi fools will be left holding the can when the winds shift and the Brits go on to others and dump the Billis.

vina ji,

Doubtless some useful idiots will figure in the queens honors list. These are shameless guys.

Some innocuous and absolutely useless honor to keep some dilli billi happy and the others hoping for a free trip to the buckingham palace.
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

neeraj wrote:Lawyers condemn UK-India Muslim preacher ban
What pipe is Mahesh Bhatt smoking? Better to deport him to UK so he can enjoy the empire.

His progeny Nadeem Saifee is already in UQ enjoying his asylum. Remember his career took off with Bhatt directed Ashiqui and after that they were close for many decades. Nadeem then went on to waste Gulshan Kumar and ran away to UQ.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

British Petroleum lobbied for the release of the Lockerbie bomber - to secure an oil contract.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/ ... rs-release