Indo-UK: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Avinash R
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK: News & Discussion

Post by Avinash R »

^Good find. Another source of valuable info is dharmpal's books. This site
http://www.samanvaya.com/dharampal/ has lots of info and some material which is can freely downloaded http://www.samanvaya.com/dharampal/frames/published.htm Members may want to get all the 5 files listed there. Worth a read.
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Film reignites Indian passions over Mountbatten affair

Filming of Indian Summer, starring Cate Blanchett and Hugh Grant, has been halted while Indian government officials assess the portrayal of Nehru's "friendship" with the last Vicereine, according to sources close to the production. They are thought to have asked to see the script to ensure the plot is not too salacious.

More than 60 years after Indian independence, Nehru's reputation and political legacy remain jealously protected by the Congress Party, which is still controlled by the Nehru-Gandhi family. Despite guarantees of freedom of expression, films on figures from the ruling family need the party's permission to be made in India.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ffair.html
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

has any one noted the mischief of "Dean Nelson", the telegraph's southasia editor stationed in delhi ?

His blogs and articles smack of a racist-colonial bias and deprecation at never before seen levels in a major news media org

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/deannelson/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -myth.html
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Lilo wrote:has any one noted the mischief of "Dean Nelson", the telegraph's southasia editor stationed in delhi ?

His blogs and articles smack of a racist-colonial bias and deprecation at never before seen levels in a major news media org
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/deann ... emissions/ :evil:

One of the comments summarizes it perfectly: "Keep the uncouth natives where they belong, sermon them, and if they don’t listen, bring out the Lee-Enfields (the WTO, WB, IMF in todays world)."
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Well, perhaps Sri Dean Nullson ought to look at UQ's books to see what happens to HMG's accounts when the loot of yindia is no longer available to prop up his supre-racist BS. :lol:

BTW, I wish there were more around like Sri Nelson. Makes it easy for yindians to see UQ in its true light. It does get difficult to bring out the truth about UQ with reasonable-sounding people being the face of the UQ. Dean Nelson is a much neater figure, IMHO, simply coz he is unable to hide his true thoughts. Tenku tenku, dean nelson. :D

Britain's public debt hits £800 billion - the highest on record
Britain is clocking up debt at a rate of £6,017 per second as the Government struggles to balance the books. With tax receipts plummeting because of the recession, state borrowing grew by £16.1 billion last month — almost twice the entire budget for the 2012 Olympics. Net borrowing for the first five months of the financial year stood at £65.3 billion, compared with £26.1 billion at the same stage last year. Total borrowing soared past the £800 billion mark for the first time and total state debt as a proportion of national output reached 57.5 per cent.
Yawn, you say. So what? Every kuntree has debt. No?
Philip Hammond, the Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, said: “We used to worry about borrowing £16 billion in an entire year. Now Labour have done it in just one month. These shocking figures show the depth of Gordon Brown’s debt crisis and just how irresponsible he was to pretend that spending cuts weren’t necessary.” Mr Brown has been accused of misleading the Commons by berating the Conservatives for preparing public spending cuts when leaked Treasury documents show that he was examining his own cuts. This week he acknowledged for the first time that cuts in public spending would be necessary and yesterday he began holding a series of meetings with Cabinet ministers to discuss cuts.
Aha. We'll see what happens when those public spending cuts cross a critical threshold. We'll see when poverty, crime and beggary return to UQ streets after the bottom 10% in society figure out they've been had. The plunder from Yindia helped raise the bottom quartile of the popn high indeed.
Just to pay the interest on its ballooning debts the Government must find more than £30 billion a year — about £500 for every man, woman and child in the country. The figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that tax receipts in August dived by 9 per cent compared with August 2008, while public spending rose by almost 3 per cent. The widening gulf was bridged by borrowing. Spending on benefits grew by £900 million to £13.5 billion as unemployment soared.
Yawn. Don't lets get too worked up about these small things. UQstan has emerged victorious before battling similar odds, hasn't she? That's guarantee enough she'll do so again in the future as well. After all,isn;t the future much like the past, as any wall streeter can attest to?

Read it all. Bottomline is that all is well in UQstan. Nothing bad has or can happen there. Ask Sri Dean Nelson. Nothing to see here now....
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Sriman,

I have just read the comment that you mentioned, it appears that the writer is actually supporting the Indian position.
The reference to Lee Enfields I think was sarcasm.
Having said that the Telegraph is usually quite pro Indian. But some of the people who comment are very racists.
The white British are having a hard time accepting the fact that people they once ruled over & treated with contempt are rising. The country is in turmoil, the economy is dead, islamic immigrants are in open revolt, the government is useless.
It is going to take them about 10-15 years to accept that Britain needs India, more than India needs the UK.
All that is required is an equitable trade relationship.

I have just found this:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 841248.ece

I have to admit I do sympathise with these people,if they paid the money and the law has been changed afterwards, then they should be protected. After all most Indians in the UK own property.

Regards

Haresh
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Sorry folks

I have sausage fingers today.
Here is the correct working link:

Regards

Haresh
:oops:
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

Haresh wrote:Sriman,
I have just read the comment that you mentioned, it appears that the writer is actually supporting the Indian position.
Of course, i wasn't saying it didn't.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Mumbai students top international board exams

Each year 15 lakh students across the world appear for IGCSE exams, 20,000 are from India. This is the first time that Cambridge International Examination (CIE), the body that conducts the exam, has declared subject toppers at the IGCSE level. “In 2009, 38 per cent of Indian students got high grades,” said Ian Chambers, CIE’s South Asia manager. “Indian students now rank five per cent above the rest of the world in overall performance.”
http://www.hindustantimes.com/News/mumb ... 54024.aspx
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Must admit I might have been wrong about UQstan.

Their way of handling pesky minorities might have merit. A true example of genuine multiculti utopia. Sample this:

Don't eat near Ramadan fasters, Home Office staff told
Home Office staff were officially warned not to eat in front of their fasting Muslim colleagues during Ramadan – in case it made them feel hungry.

The advice came in a taxpayer-funded internal document listing do’s and don’ts during the Muslim holy month, which ends this weekend.
The Home Office Islamic Network produced the five-page information sheet which says: ‘In practical terms, please be sensitive when eating lunch near a Muslim colleague who is fasting.

This can make an individual feel hungrier and make it more challenging to observe the fast.’

During the holy month devout Muslims do not drink or eat from dawn until sunset and, according to the document, must avoid ‘all obscene and irreligious sights and sounds’.

It also urged Home Office managers to be flexible over working arrangements.
It says: ‘The most likely need Muslim staff may present to managers during this period is for flexibility around working hours and break times as those fasting will have a slightly different routine from usual. Managers and Muslim staff should discuss what their needs are and be responsive and sensitive.’

Managers were also told: ‘Muslim staff who are fasting and whose environment allows it may wish to set out for work earlier than usual and finish their working day correspondingly early...in line with flexi-time arrangements.’

Last night a Home Office spokeswoman confirmed the document had been distributed to its staff and posted on the department’s internal intranet system.

She said: ‘It is not formal departmental guidance and was written by volunteers.’
Wow. Such amazing accommodation and benign enlightened tolerance and flexibility and non-appeasement and non-bigotry is worthy of worldwide emulation everywhere (except in the islamic world, of course, can't have them upset about anything now, can we?).

The saving grace, the said minorities ditched pakiness for once and figured out they'd end up losers if the games continued
But the guide is now at the centre of a row with Islamic groups who said it was more likely to incite hatred of Muslims than promote understanding.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

^^ I don't understand whats wrong with it. It's a simple courtesy one can observe with a little sensitivity. I do that on my own with Muslim colleagues at work.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

But what about dem poor vegetarian Hindoos, don't they find all the butchering and red meat eating that goes on puts them off their watery dhal?
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

harbans wrote:^^ I don't understand whats wrong with it. It's a simple courtesy one can observe with a little sensitivity. I do that on my own with Muslim colleagues at work.

That is wonderful. But do they also reciprocate? Like every tuesday not bring meat to work?
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel ... 992805.ece
'Hindu Taliban' threatens Goa bars
A little old though, but still visible as recommended read on this webpage.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Surinder/ Sanjay ji i agree fully that there is little reciprocation. In Calcutta i've seen butchers openly slaughtering animals right on the road with little sensitivity to Hindu feelings. I was just saying there is nothing wrong doing so in working environment. We're not talking policy here are we?
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

British government needs to consider making the university degrees free of charge for the local British students and so there is a good possibility of increasing popularity of labouf party again.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

harbans wrote:Surinder/ Sanjay ji i agree fully that there is little reciprocation. In Calcutta i've seen butchers openly slaughtering animals right on the road with little sensitivity to Hindu feelings. I was just saying there is nothing wrong doing so in working environment. We're not talking policy here are we?

I fully agree with you.

We should be more accommodating of others feelings.

We are after all, past masters in pandering to the puerile sensitivities of (ungrateful) others and accommodating ourselves right into the grave. :)

When others are having lunch why don't the fasting souls go for a healthy walk? That's what any sensible person would do instead of expecting the whole office to change for a couple of guys.
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

Let's not demonize everyone.. My Muslim friends don't have any issues with people eating in front of them during fast. In fact a couple of them who have lunch with us regularly join us even during Ramzan but do not eat. Of course that's not to say that there aren't any who complain.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Not strictly Indo -UK related but

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... ecial.html

More grievous blows to British H&D could not have been

As the Man from Foundation says, "Read it all!"
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Meanwhile, wow, with SDREs in the same room as Gweneth Paltro, India is one step closer to becoming a "global superpower of the 21st century". Of course, as LeT spokesman and UK foreign minister, terrorist David Miliband told India after 26/11 to give Kashmir to TSP, and Jihadi sethi warned India of the same or else more 26/11s will ensue and India can do didly squat; there is many a slip between the cup & the lip.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Tanaji wrote:Not strictly Indo -UK related but

Very interesting. Brown is good friends with Soros
I work with Americans who state quite clearly that Obama is distant from Brown publicly because of the growing disquiet about Browns unmandated status as British Prime Minister. There is an undercurrent that resents Brown for "usurping" their man Blair.

The BBC seems to shy away from this angle - just like it has taken an American jounalist to finally ask Brown about his health. Sooner or later I hope our BBC can find the courage & the journalistic personality to ask Brown the tough questions not only on his health, but also on his lack of mandate.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Gurulog, some gyan please.
Where does £830 million goes in India?.
And why do britishtanis think that their whole economy and prosperity stand on £830 million?
And also, are british nanha mujahids taught anything about what their forefathers were upto in 18th, 19th and 20th century?
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

And also, are british nanha mujahids taught anything about what their forefathers were upto in 18th, 19th and 20th century?
Dont know about today but in the next 20 years the nanha mujahids of the day will be taught a lot about Bin Qasim and Bin Jinnah and Bin Millibrained to name three of the four fathers
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Acharya wrote:
Tanaji wrote:Not strictly Indo -UK related but

Very interesting. Brown is good friends with Soros
I work with Americans who state quite clearly that Obama is distant from Brown publicly because of the growing disquiet about Browns unmandated status as British Prime Minister. There is an undercurrent that resents Brown for "usurping" their man Blair.

The BBC seems to shy away from this angle - just like it has taken an American jounalist to finally ask Brown about his health. Sooner or later I hope our BBC can find the courage & the journalistic personality to ask Brown the tough questions not only on his health, but also on his lack of mandate.
Acharya-saar, you would like this: They already got their (wo)man in into the G20. Which unfortunately happens to be a diaspora injun :oops:

Link
No member of the government is closer to Gordon Brown than Shriti Vadera.
Her loyalty to him is total and - predictably - her decision to stand down as a minister is at his request, so that she can concentrate on what he regards as the big challenge of the moment: viz, how to make the global economy more stable.

She's becoming in effect the first employee of the G20, the new group of the world's most powerful countries - including the fast growing economies of Asia and South America - that has supplanted the G7.

Her role will be to advise on the design of the new institutions that must be created to make a reality of the G20's deter
This G20 is becoming more and more like a "multi-cultural country club" ("Give me your money and I will ignore you ever got rejected in the original country club"). Ominous organization, if they are talking about "employees" etc. Granted we are also pottering around along with panda in this club, clutching a martini like a torch. But seriously, if this particular grouping is the "high table" we hear about...... I would say pass.

G20 considering ‘peer review’ by IMF
Pittsburgh: Though details of official talks at the ‘sherpa’ level are being kept a closely guarded secret by the 19 countries gathered here for the summit of the G20 (the 20th participant being the European Union), the United States is believed to be advocating a greater role for the International Monetary Fund in overseeing the extent to which the leading world economies stick to the path of “balanced and sustainable growth.” 8)

A U.S.-authored draft communiqué leaked by the Reuters news agency is sketchy on the precise nature of this oversight, presumably because many countries are uncomfortable with the idea of tying their national economic policies down in such a way that they lose the ability to respond flexibly to their own domestic problems.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

x-posting from Indian Space programme thread
Gerard wrote:article in the UK Daily Mail

139 comments. Much takleef.

Those comments are full of ignorance and jealousy. But most of them are harping on the point that 'Britain is still giving aid to India which can afford lunar missions bla bla bla".

Most of them are using this report as a proff

UK gives £825 m aid for health, education

Didnt GOI has a policy of not taking aid from anyone ? Or is it just Loan instead of aid and the DDM has misreported it ? If it is true, Why are we even taking aid from that SOB nation ?

Aid in today's world is used for politican influence.Is it possible that the UK govt gave this aid without India even asking it just to gain some influence and friends ? If true, we should cut this crappy aid from british.The British people truly beleive that their 'aid' is what funding the Indian space programme.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

The jealousy started one year back when we launched the Chandrayaan 1.

Link

Another Forum

Many Forums were discussing the same thing during that time.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

shravan wrote:The jealousy started one year back when we launched the Chandrayaan 1.
Sending rockets and Satellites to Moon is the final frontier for any nation. They consider India which was a begger nation just 30 years ago is able to rapidly progress this fast. The publicity given to the lunch was very wide in the western press on Oct 22 2008. Even local news papers in smaller towns had the news report. This came after the Olympic coverage

One american told me that lot of other cultures are jealous and he even said the Mumbai attack was to avenge this high achievement by India in space. The more good publicity India gets there will be more attacks on India by Pak terrorists.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

UK’s Daily Mail on Indo-UK relations of a different kind :wink: :
A spicy menage a trois: The shocking love triangle between Lord Mountbatten, his wife and the founder of modern India

By Glenys Roberts
Last updated at 1:45 AM on 26th September 2009

'At the stroke of the midnight hour when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.'

Those powerful words, memorable to everyone who loves India, were uttered by the father of the modern nation, Jawaharlal Nehru, when the country became independent more than 60 years ago.

Behind this famous 'tryst with destiny' speech lay a deeply personal fight to escape the domination of the British Raj, a struggle all the more meaningful because of Nehru's private life.

For the handsome widower had formed a more than usually deep bond with, of all people, the beautiful wife of the chief representative of the occupying power, Edwina, Lady Mountbatten. ..........................

Daily Mail
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Where does £830 million goes in India?.
My guess is it went to missionaries to brainwash the folks. lol

There is no free money in the world. Most of the money goes towards helping british companies win business deals and provide financing to those companies. Its real name is 'bilateral aid'.

Even the aid that supposedly goes to africa is nothing more than a road show. Far more money is sucked out of Africa than comes in as the continent is kept on a debt trap treadmill. A portion of the interest on debt that is mathematically impossible to repay is 'forgiven' as aid. In the mean time, the country has probably paid out 400 or 500% more than it borrowed in resource ripoffs by multinational companies facilitated by the IMF.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

there is certainly unofficial aid, charities raise lots of money to help disadvantaged people in india, perhaps that is being counted here? anyway, the rational answer to space programme investment critics is that it raises the technological base and creates employment in a massive pyramid beneath it, which raises the GDP of the nation and thereby improves the lot of the 'huddled starving masses' - which surely must be a good thing. the UK Gov't spends almost nothing on space research - there simply isnt the money to spare once the welfare state is paid for - universal healthcare, education, unemployment benefit, disability benefit, low income benefit, single parent benefit, refugee benefit... absolutely huge amounts of money are spent on these things. so the british have a choice - have these things or have a space programme and a more lavishly funded military - the british public (like others) can't have both.
KaranR
BRFite -Trainee

Post by KaranR »

Lalmohan wrote:benefit, disability benefit, low income benefit, single parent benefit, refugee benefit... absolutely huge amounts of money are spent on these things. so the british have a choice - have these things or have a space programme and a more lavishly funded military - the british public (like others) can't have both.
Get rid of Trident!
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

A spicy menage a trois: The shocking love triangle between Lord Mountbatten, his wife and the founder of modern India

Wow, ordinarily I detest reading of peccadilloes and I don't think EM would qualify has a beauty by today's standards, I am in a fashion happy for Nehru.
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

arun wrote:UK’s Daily Mail on Indo-UK relations of a different kind :wink: :
From the above link:

Working alongside him in hospitals and refugee camps, she was fearless. At one Muslim refugee camp, she found a gang of Hindus and Sikhs trying to set it on fire and kill the inmates.

Edwina stood in front of the crowd as calmly as though she were at a garden party, threatening to have her guards shoot the agitators. Improbably they backed off in the face of her natural authority.

It is funny, all British accounts of life in India includes one such brave moment: The said Britisher braving all odds, stands up for controlling the uncivilized urges of the debased nation. In the end, the said hero prevails & the natives seeing his bravery blink. The undeniable psychological message of the prophetic savior nature of Great Britan justaposed on the base un-christian dark native 3rd world country.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

surinder wrote: It is funny, all British accounts of life in India includes one such brave moment: The said Britisher braving all odds, stands up for controlling the uncivilized urges of the debased nation. In the end, the said hero prevails & the natives seeing his bravery blink. The undeniable psychological message of the prophetic savior nature of Great Britan justaposed on the base un-christian dark native 3rd world country.
Surinder .. there probably was a good reason for this "bravery" on part of the British. I'm sure that if any Indian brought bodily harm on to a Britisher, the power of the Raj would be brought down on those who did it.
So you see, its easy to be brave when you have a million or so guns backing you up ....
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

g.kacha wrote:Surinder .. there probably was a good reason for this "bravery" on part of the British. I'm sure that if any Indian brought bodily harm on to a Britisher, the power of the Raj would be brought down on those who did it.
So you see, its easy to be brave when you have a million or so guns backing you up ....
But the incidents curiously always have the hero/heroine usually alone, often unarmed ... maximum with a pistol, against hordes of native men. Frankly, all the stories sound mythical to me. They contain the typical English version of bravery (lone person standing against all odds, with noble honor). Have you seen that film Gunga Din? (I think that was the name). In this movie Cary Grant bravely walks into the gang of Goddess loving thugs in their temple singing "he is a jolly good fellow, for he is a jolly good fellow". He could have been killed in no time with literally thousands of turbaned "savages". But he braves it with a cheer and alone, with no chance of victory or even a hope that he will survive. Has anyone seen this movie I am referring to?

This scene is replayied in these often replayed in the narratives. Mind you, there is never even a hint of an alternative story: the British man meets the Muasslalim rioters and encourages them to stock up on weapons and go and liquidate Hindus/Sikhs. Nor is there any mention that a dark-skinned native stood up to a party of armed Britishers and told them bravely about getting out of this land. It is a very selective, and I suspect, basically a lie.

More specifially, firstly, let me ask a simple question, how is it possible for the Lady Viceroinee to be alone in a dark pathetic place with Hindu + Sikh mob about to kill musalim refugees. This lady mountbatten has probably never even goes to potty without 23 native servants. Is the event even likely to occur?

PS: And G.Karcha you are right also. it is quite easy to be brave when you have the whole army, police, government backing you ... making sure that numerous skulls would be smashed & limbs would be broken for even thinking of hurting a hair on the British body.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

surinder wrote: It is funny, all British accounts of life in India includes one such brave moment: The said Britisher braving all odds, stands up for controlling the uncivilized urges of the debased nation. In the end, the said hero prevails & the natives seeing his bravery blink. The undeniable psychological message of the prophetic savior nature of Great Britan justaposed on the base un-christian dark native 3rd world country.
It may have been originated in a remark of Clive that I read long time ago. After the battle of Plassey, where a small group of East India Co soldiers and officers defeated the Nawab's army by bribery and treachery, they (that is Clive and his army) met a great number of Indians who came to watch the battle but did not take part. Clive remarked that they were so many in number that if they had just picked up a stone each and hurled at the British, the British would be defeated. He did not of course mention that the Nawab was not popular with the local Hindu population and they may not have any reason to interfere.
Gautam
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ the most fierce fighting at plassey took place between the english and the french, then engaged in war across three continents
like all aspects of history, things are not as straight forward as one might think
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Fraud office seeks BAE's prosecution over bribery

The head of the Serious Fraud Office signalled his intention todayto prosecute the arms company BAE on corruption charges, an unprecedented move immediately supported by the former attorney general, Lord Goldsmith.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oc ... ud-office1
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ Costly move. They are shooting themselves in the foot.