Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by shyamd »

India's Army chief General Deepak Kapoor looks through a SPIKE-MR/LR weapon system during his visit to the "Aero India 2009" at Yelahanka air force station on the outskirts of the southern Indian city of Bangalore February 12, 2009. The 7th Aero India, organised by the Ministry of Defence, showcases the latest in the field of military and civilian aircrafts. The show runs from February 11 to 15.
REUTERS/Indian Defence Ministry/Handout (INDIA)
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

X-posting from the Armour thread:
Not to take the focus away from the discussion, but here is a chance sighting of IA armour on the move:
Udupi: Is This Army Artillery Heading Towards War Zone?

Pics: Durga Digitals
Daijiworld Media Network – Udupi (RD)

Udupi, Feb 25: The Indian armed force tankers :eek: that were located at Seabird (INS Kadamba), Asia’s largest naval base in Karwar in Uttara Karnataka were transported by railway wagons to Secundarabad, through Mangalore recently.

Complete article with some more pictures and details is here:
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=57195

PS: It would be better to ignore some of the comments posted at the bottom of that news item, IMHO :) !
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Manish
That is some great work. If some commercial site can find this information. What says, Pakis don't have this information. It is time for our CI agencies to make sure this doesn't happen again. What are they doing, sitting on their thumbs up their A$$.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Baljeet wrote:Manish
That is some great work. If some commercial site can find this information. What says, Pakis don't have this information. It is time for our CI agencies to make sure this doesn't happen again. What are they doing, sitting on their thumbs up their A$$.
Well Baljeet, I am not too sure about that. How else will the forces move whole tank regiments and divisions around? I guess the movement of a whole regiment and its support vehicles is going to be hard to conceal, no matter what kind of intelligence agencies/secrecy you employ.

Sitting outside important airbases like Lohegaon in Pune or HAL Airport in BLR one can easily track aircraft movement without raising ANY suspicion since they are located in heavily populated areas. Same with IGI in Delhi - if you live anywhere in South Delhi, it is going to be impossible to avoid catching a glimpse of IL-76 and An-32 sorties generated from the airport. I am sure one can come up with a million more examples in a densely populated country like ours.

So I guess - at least IMHO - that it would be unfair to criticize them on this count. I guess some of the gurus are better qualified to comment on this than me though. Just my 2 cents/paisas/kopeks or whatever.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Manish
You missed my point. This picture shows a remote land, if I was a saboteur this is the kind of information I need to derail the train and hurt my nemesis. Single sniper shot will kills the driver, go through engine block, etc.
VijayV
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VijayV »

Long back (forgot when) I saw a DD news that at Jammu a T72 was burning on Railway transport rack. The news reader was saying that Ammo cought fire. Do we transport with ammo and fuel loaded tanks. :?:
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

INS Chetlat and INS Carnicobar were commissioned into the Indian Navy at Chennai on February 16, 2009.The Water Jets of these ships are coupled with latest generation MTU 16V 4000 M90 engines with a combined propulsion power of 8160KW. The modified Aluminum superstructure of the vessels, reduces their Radar Cross Sections (RCS) and also provides improved habitability. A Reverse Osmosis (RO) Plants allow for fresh water generation increasing vessel endurance while the Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) complies with the latest International Maritime Organization (IMO) regulations on sea pollution.

The armament includes the 30mm CRN-91 Gun along with sensors manufactured by Ordnance Factory, Medak. The ships are equipped with IGLA missiles, SLRs, HMGs and LMG/MMG in their armament fit. These features are an up-dation over ships of the previous class and the current version of design is comparable with similar ships, built across the world
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Indian Border Security Force (BSF) personnel patrol a stretch of the India-Bangladesh border on the outskirts of Agartala, capital of India's northeastern state of Tripura, February 25, 2009. Mutinous members of a Bangladesh paramilitary unit agreed to lay down their arms and accept an amnesty offered by the government, one of their officers said, after fighting over a pay dispute killed at least five people on Wednesday.

2 days ago: India's Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers patrol with a sniffer dog along a fenced boundary with Bangladesh at Fullbari village on the outskirts of the eastern Indian city of Siliguri February 26, 2009. Indian border guards are on a high alert along the Bangladesh border after a mutiny broke out in the paramilitary Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) over pay.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

^^^
Good ones shyamd, nice to see the increasing adaptation of the new BSF camo scheme. Thanks for posting.

Edit:
In the second picture I see what I think is an INSAS LMG(3rd soldier on the column closest to the fence) as well :) . Nice. But also we can note that one of the men is carrying an SLR - looks like the conversion to INSAS is still not complete. Understandable considering the huge number of SLRs BSF must have had. But let us hope it gets done soon, as it would definitely contribute to simplifying BSF's logistics chain by eliminating the 7.62x51 round from the list - well, assuming the Bren/FN MAG etc are also not going to be around!
Last edited by manish on 01 Mar 2009 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

VijayV wrote:Long back (forgot when) I saw a DD news that at Jammu a T72 was burning on Railway transport rack. The news reader was saying that Ammo cought fire. Do we transport with ammo and fuel loaded tanks. :?:
I don't know if it's standard practice to carry ammo during transit, but the tanks do carry fuel. You see the tanks have to get on to the flatcars on their own power. There is no jig or crane to lift and place them there. The tanks have to line up along the military siding and then drive up on to the flatcar guided by a person in front. Tank loading is a laborious process with near zero room for error. The tanks have to be driven up straight to be able to sit on the flatcar. Any deviation and the tank could fall off.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

ChandraS wrote:
VijayV wrote:Long back (forgot when) I saw a DD news that at Jammu a T72 was burning on Railway transport rack. The news reader was saying that Ammo cought fire. Do we transport with ammo and fuel loaded tanks. :?:
I don't know if it's standard practice to carry ammo during transit, but the tanks do carry fuel. You see the tanks have to get on to the flatcars on their own power. There is no jig or crane to lift and place them there. The tanks have to line up along the military siding and then drive up on to the flatcar guided by a person in front. Tank loading is a laborious process with near zero room for error. The tanks have to be driven up straight to be able to sit on the flatcar. Any deviation and the tank could fall off.
Its very unlikely that ammo is carried with Tanks. As ChandraS said the fire could be due to diesel these tanks carry.
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

shyamd wrote:2 days ago: India's Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers patrol with a sniffer dog along a fenced boundary with Bangladesh at Fullbari village on the outskirts of the eastern Indian city of Siliguri February 26, 2009. Indian border guards are on a high alert along the Bangladesh border after a mutiny broke out in the paramilitary Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) over pay.
Shyamd I have a newbie question about your second picture:

In this picture most of the BSF soldiers are looking to their left and not across the wire fence on their right. However, they are obviously within our border. So in general does the international boundary comprise of a set of structure like: wire fence+patrol road+wire fence?

Thanks
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

manish wrote:^^^
Good ones shyamd, nice to see the increasing adaptation of the new BSF camo scheme. Thanks for posting.

Edit:
In the second picture I see what I think is an INSAS LMG(3rd soldier on the column closest to the fence) as well :) . Nice. But also we can note that one of the men is carrying an SLR - looks like the conversion to INSAS is still not complete. Understandable considering the huge number of SLRs BSF must have had. But let us hope it gets done soon, as it would definitely contribute to simplifying BSF's logistics chain by eliminating the 7.62x51 round from the list - well, assuming the Bren/FN MAG etc are also not going to be around!
A possible reason could be its continued use as being adaptable to lob rifle grenades (ref a pic on the previous page), something that is still either under development for the INSAS family, or is being inducted into the army units before being given to other paramilitaries. JMTs
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

U.S., India strengthen partnership
Lt. Col. Casey Eaton explains the capabilities of the C-17 Globemaster III to Indian air force wing commanders Anup Kumar Dutta, KV Surendran Nair and SK Vidhate during their Feb. 25 visit to Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. Members of the 613th Air and Space Operations Center at Hickam AFB hosted the visit Feb. 23 through 27, during which the Indian air force officers learned how the United States commands and controls airpower in the Pacific through the 613th AOC. Five 613th AOC members will visit India March 9 through 13 for a similar orientation, as part of a subject-matter expert exchange with the Indian air force. Colonel Eaton is the 535th Airlift Squadron commander.(U.S. Air Force photo/Oscar Hernandez)
U.S., India strengthen partnership
Indian air force Wg. Cdr. SK Vidhate sits in the cockpit of a C-17 Globemaster III while visiting with the 535th Airlift Squadron Feb. 25 at Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. Members of the 613th Air and Space Operations Center at Hickam AFB hosted the visit Feb. 23 through 27, during which Indian air force officers learned how the United States commands and controls airpower in the Pacific through the 613th AOC. (U.S. Air Force photo/Oscar Hernandez)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

kancha wrote:
manish wrote:^^^

Edit:
A possible reason could be its continued use as being adaptable to lob rifle grenades (ref a pic on the previous page), something that is still either under development for the INSAS family, or is being inducted into the army units before being given to other paramilitaries. JMTs

Well even if 20,000 INSAS rifles are manufactured in a month it would be 50 months (over 4 years) before 1 million are manufactured. I doubt if even that number is being made in a month. But I am playing a guessing game here.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

The IAF seems to be very interested in the C-17 going by recent noises.
soutikghosh
BRFite

Post by soutikghosh »

sum wrote:The IAF seems to be very interested in the C-17 going by recent noises.
It really would be a strategic addition to Indian force projection.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sum wrote:The IAF seems to be very interested in the C-17 going by recent noises.
What noises? Any links?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

shiv wrote:What noises? Any links?
Noise:

Link 1

Link 2

If thats what Sum meant...
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Yes...more or less media reports onlee...Nothing from any IAF guy which i have personally heard though (atleast till now).

I did remember reading a article about the P8I signing which had also mentioned about the IAF being interested in the C-17 and that could be the next big ticket item from Amrika. Dunno if it was a lifafa article, though.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

sum wrote:Yes...more or less media reports onlee...Nothing from any IAF guy which i have personally heard though (atleast till now).

I did remember reading a article about the P8I signing which had also mentioned about the IAF being interested in the C-17 and that could be the next big ticket item from Amrika. Dunno if it was a lifafa article, though.
Force magazine carried an interview with the ACM, where he said that the IAF was looking to induct Very Heavy Lift transports and as per AW&ST, Boeing is expecting meetings with officials in France, Libya and India. BTW, the price for an export C-17 is about $220 million, but Boeing is looking to cut the price by reducing overhead, design, structure and parts costs with suppliers, using a process similar to that applied to the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet cost-reduction effort.
What force-multipliers and its numbers would the Indian Air Force have by the end of the 11th and 12th Defence Plans?

In my view, we must now consider force-multipliers to be more as a mandatory part of a holistic capability. Like the blurring distinction between tactical and strategic platforms, a force-multiplier has moved out of the confines of being considered a separate entity. Whilst AWACS, Flight Refuelling Aircraft, Very Heavy Lift and Wide Bodied Transport Aircraft are considered the traditional force-multipliers, in future an asset in space, a robust command and control network, intelligence, specific weapon capability and my air warriors , all have the potential to be Force-multipliers, if synergistically employed. However, to answer your question, we have procured three AWACS with an option for three more and we are in the process of acquiring six more FRAs and Very Heavy Transport Aircraft within the 11 th and 12 th plan periods.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

The "very heavy" lift category would cover something like the An-124 rather than the C-17 which is comparable to the Il-76 already in service.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Victor wrote:The "very heavy" lift category would cover something like the An-124 rather than the C-17 which is comparable to the Il-76 already in service.

but the IAF has already issued an RFI to Boeing for the C-17..are you aware of anything of that sort for the An-124 ? And which category would the RFI for C-17 fit into ? the IAF is only looking for AWACS and a new batch of refuellers (A-330 MRTT or Il-78) that could also double for a transport. the C-17 doesn't fit into that requirement, so the only one it could would be the Very Heavy Lift transport.
AERO INDIA: Boeing pitches C-17 to India, following request for information
By Siva Govindasamy

Boeing is offering the C-17 Globemaster to India, following the country's request for information for strategic lift transport aircraft.

The C-17, which is on flying and static display at the Aero India 2009 show in Bangalore this week, has been in India's radar for some time. Boeing briefed the country's air force in October 2007. However, New Delhi had not been expected to move ahead with the requirement, as it had concluded a deal for six Lockheed Martin C-130Js in early 2008.

"We received the RFI in 2008 and have now responded," says Boeing Military Aircraft president Chris Chadwick. "We expect to engage in further discussions with India and believe that a request for proposals would come out soon."

The C-17 has been ordered by Australia, Canada, the UK, Qatar and a consortium of NATO members, as well as the USAF.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Victor wrote:The "very heavy" lift category would cover something like the An-124 rather than the C-17 which is comparable to the Il-76 already in service.

:) Interesting picture.

But we must really look at other parameters like take-off/landing distance, Operational ceiling, fuel economy and serviceability as well.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

I have seen that monster land on a relatively short 7,000 ft runway while loaded with two Sukhoi stunt planes. I can't imagine what we would use it for, so the "Very Heavy Transport" requirement is intriguing. The Russkies use it to transport hardware like their space rockets. The closest transport in size is the C-5 Galaxy which is 20% smaller.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Victor wrote:I have seen that monster land on a relatively short 7,000 ft runway while loaded with two Sukhoi stunt planes. I can't imagine what we would use it for, so the "Very Heavy Transport" requirement is intriguing. The Russkies use it to transport hardware like their space rockets. The closest transport in size is the C-5 Galaxy which is 20% smaller.
I was just wondering if our CAS was referring to the Il 76/ C 17 class as very heavy transport.

The Russians certainly did excel in planes with rough field capability - so i can't grudge them that. But the An 124 is a rare beast - I can't imagine what we would use it for that could not be done by a smaller a/c - except perhaps move tanks to funny places.
rahuldevnath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuldevnath »

Very Heavy Lift certainly comprises of An-124 class. But as far as I know, IAF right now is more interested in replacing / supplementing the Il-76MD, the C-17 is most probably like join IAF in near future. Very Heavy Lift Category transports, will also be eventually inducted but may be in limited numbers, something like what we did we did with Mi-26.

It's very important to note that the An-124 is used for delivering any of the fighters in Semi K Down, conditions, such as Su-30MKI. About 6 An-124's will give IAF that edge.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

With this background of the IAF wanting to augument its airlifting capabilities, does anyone know what ever happened to the yindoo-roosi MTA project.
rahuldevnath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuldevnath »

With this background of the IAF wanting to augument its airlifting capabilities, does anyone know what ever happened to the yindoo-roosi MTA project.
MTA or not, An-32s have to be replaced.
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

AERO INDIA: Boeing pitches C-17 to India, following request for information

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... by-us.html

has received instructions to stop operationalising (making ready for operations) the two new LM 2500 gas turbines that it supplied for the Shivalik. GE has told MDL that there could be up to three months delay, while the new US administration reviews its military relations with several countries. India is not alone in facing this ban; GE has been told to stop work even with close US allies like the UK and Australia.

I hope this will end the request. It is better we go for Russian / European

- Nitin
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Why cant we stick to IL-76 equipped with PS-90s?

rahuldevnath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuldevnath »

Why cant we stick to IL-76 equipped with PS-90s?
Even during the evaluation of An-32s back in 1980's C-130's were considered better. Il-76's as well were brought off because of various strategic importance, including the barter system prevailing in that time.

Considering, now, C-17's are much better than IL-76's.. (my oppinion), has STOL capabilities, and gives better interoperability with the NATO, especially US forces. The case is similar to IAF looking out for Airbus refuellers when we already have IL-78s
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Paramilitary soldiers stand guard near the site of an explosion in Srinagar, India, Wednesday March 11, 2009. A soldier was injured after suspected militants hurled a grenade on a paramilitary post in Srinagar, police said.
Indian paramilitary soldiers patrol deserted streets in Srinagar, India, Saturday, March 7, 2009. Government forces in Indian Kashmir's main city fired tear gas and used bamboo batons Saturday to disperse hundreds of angry demonstrators protesting the killing of a man by troops.
An Indian paramilitary officer aims to shoot rubber bullets at Kashmiri Muslim protesters, unseen, during a protest in Srinagar, India, Friday, March 6, 2009. Indian forces opened fire Friday on hundreds of Muslims demonstrating against Indian rule in the disputed region of Kashmir, killing one person and wounding 17 others, police and doctors said.
An Indian Border Security Force (BSF) soldier looks at the body of a suspected intruder shot dead at the site of an alleged encounter on the India-Pakistan border at Mahwa, Atari some 50 kilometers (27 miles) west of Amritsar, India, Wednesday, March 4, 2009. The BSF claimed to have killed a Pakistani intruder, arrested another and seized heroin worth several million rupees in the international market after an exchange of fire early Wednesday.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I am thinking of buying one of these

found this online shop
http://www.cafepress.com/EmbeddedClicks
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

OTA POP

pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Newly commissioned lady officers :D

(reuters & AP)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Notice how the lady officers also have very short hair. Dont tell me IA is taklu'ing incoming lady officer trainees too!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Nah - just some very practical women :)
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

Notice how the lady officers also have very short hair. Dont tell me IA is taklu'ing incoming lady officer trainees too!
It's a v.tough course and the LCs too like GCs go thru hell for those 12 months. Years ago one morning at Madras Central as I was getting off the Blr-Mds Mail one morning I walked passed wagon loads of OTA cadets. I first walked the GCs assembling on the platform, and then after that I came across another bunch of cadets, these looked a little different, and I was startled to hear a v.different but more authoritative voice (nani, my mom, my school teacher) before I realised it was the LCs falling in line, with a v. tough looking squad leader.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Exercise Bold Kurukshetra - Singapore / India - Ministry of Defence, Singapore Releases