Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by shyamd »

RIP

Indian army officers carry a coffin containing the body of their colleague Major Akash Singh during his funeral in Jammu September 9, 2009. Major Singh and two militants were killed on Wednesday in a firefight in Mendhar sector near the Line of Control (LoC), a military control line that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan, as soldiers prevented fresh attempts by militants to infiltrate into Kashmir from Pakistan, Indian army said.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

OTA Passing out parade: Pics from Sify.com

Defence Attache Massoud Stanekzai of Afghanistan with some of the cadets from his country.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

[quote="Gagan"]OTA Passing out parade: Pics from Sify.com

Why give a religious aspect to a professional event??
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Bala Vignesh wrote: Why give a religious aspect to a professional event??
Because the moms of the cadets are also there. :lol:
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

They are for oath taking, all the major Indian faiths are represented.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Sanku wrote:They are for oath taking, all the major Indian faiths are represented.
Damn... Forgot all about that possibility... Thanks sir..
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

Why give a religious aspect to a professional event??
Because we live, fight and win as Indians while recognising that it is OK if we all don't think alike.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Pics from an encounter at Kashmir on Sept 22-23. MARCOS were also involved in the fight, perhaps the first time that the govt has acknowledged, and one made the supreme sacrifice. Could the guy with the Tavor be a MARCO?? The rest have INSAS or AKMs
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

pmund wrote:

Pics from an encounter at Kashmir on Sept 22-23. MARCOS were also involved in the fight, perhaps the first time that the govt has acknowledged, and one made the supreme sacrifice. Could the guy with the Tavor be a MARCO?? The rest have INSAS or AKMs
^^^ 2nd pic seems to be most/all MARCOS. After a long time hearing of a MARCOS KIA announced publicly. RIP :(
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Marcos has been acknowledged for quite some time.

Enough articles on "dadi wala fauji".

RIP to all the men who were lost recently

pmund - source??
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Source AP. Sorry for the slip-up. Dadiwala fauj has been written about, yes, but I guess the govt never officially admitted their taking part in encounters.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

pmund

I believe the Navy citations mention it. So I would say it has been acknowledged.

Also articles on ops on the Wular lake - has to be sanctioned
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Surya, I meant acknowledging their casualities - I only know of 1 encounter before this where they acknowledged 2 KIAs from MARCOS.
abhishekm
BRFite

Post by abhishekm »

Nikhil T wrote:The CRPF CoBRA - Commando Battalion for Resolute Action

This is supposedly the best equipped para-military force in India. Rs 1300 crores were granted for weapons and see what the end soldier fights in - no BPJ, not even a helmet, no backpack and most of all - civilian clothes ? And this is the encounter where they are expecting 200 heavily armed Naxals on the prowl.
LINK
Don't worry about the civvies. It merely helps them blend in with the environment. Andhra Pradesh's elite Greyhound force wears civilian clothes as well. No point wearing full military gear when you are visiting villages and remote outposts- you will stick out like a sore thumb! Besides, many naxals don't wear olive green uniforms and would look exactly like the CoBRA folks in the picture. As far as the BPJ is concerned, perhaps it isn't used because it hinders movement/flexibility when operating in the jungle terrain?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

How can you say these are the MARCOS? They look like the RR to me. Dadhi could be because there are sikhs in there.

Isn't it against the sea salt for the MARCOS to travel on a boat and not get the feet wet? If the marcos were deployed, they would mount an assault via the lake not from dry land.

The reason the MARCOS were deployed because kashmir has these big lakes with those houseboats around and the place looks like Venice. An assault from the waters is very feasible and also cuts off escape routes.
abhishekm
BRFite

Post by abhishekm »

Gagan wrote:How can you say these are the MARCOS? They look like the RR to me. Dadhi could be because there are sikhs in there.

Isn't it against the sea salt for the MARCOS to travel on a boat and not get the feet wet? If the marcos were deployed, they would mount an assault via the lake not from dry land.

The reason the MARCOS were deployed because kashmir has these big lakes with those houseboats around and the place looks like Venice. An assault from the waters is very feasible and also cuts off escape routes.
Hi Gagan- it certainly isn't RR though one can't be sure if it's MARCOS or another SF unit. Everything from the weaponry to the kit (and the headgear) indicates that they are not regular IA troops. Why can't MARCOS operate from dry land? They have neutralised scores of terrorist hideouts over several years and all the action took place on land. It's also difficult to assess from the pictures whether they were taken before, during or after an assault.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

1. they could be RR (Cdo), SF or Marcos - Tavors would be doubtful with anyone else

2. Pretty much all units which indulge in covert ops grow beards to give the jihadis a dose of their own medicine
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

An Indian Army soldier adjusts his rifle near the site of a gun battle at Baniyari, a village 28 miles (45 kilometers) northwest of Srinagar, India, Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2009. Army search operations triggered two separate gun battles with suspected Muslim rebels in the Indian-administered portion of Kashmir that killed at least eight combatants, an official said Wednesday. Two soldiers, including an officer, were fatally shot by suspected rebels early Wednesday in Baniyari, according to the army.
(AP Photo/Mukhtar Khan)

Indian army soldiers walk past a child after a gunbattle between Indian security forces and separatist militants in Bonyari, 46 km (28 miles) north of Srinagar, September 23, 2009. Four Indian soldiers and four Muslim militants were killed as gun battles raged in Kashmir on Wednesday after months of relative calm, police said. They said four soldiers were also wounded in two clashes that broke out in north Kashmir.
REUTERS/Danish Ismail (INDIAN-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR CONFLICT)

An Indian army helicopter carries the body of an army officer after a gunbattle between Indian security forces and separatist militants in Bonyari, 46 km (28 miles) north of Srinagar, September 23, 2009. Four Indian soldiers and four Muslim militants were killed as gun battles raged in Kashmir on Wednesday after months of relative calm, police said. They said four soldiers were also wounded in two clashes that broke out in north Kashmir.
REUTERS/Danish Ismail (INDIAN-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR CONFLICT)
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The final salute.
Grim

RIP brave soldiers of the matrubhoomi.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Surya wrote:1. they could be RR (Cdo), SF or Marcos - Tavors would be doubtful with anyone else

2. Pretty much all units which indulge in covert ops grow beards to give the jihadis a dose of their own medicine
TOI reports one MARCOS was among the many killed yesterday.

RIP

Source 1
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

pmund wrote:Image

Note the Galil Sniper rifle 8) It resembles INSAS-LMG
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Never mind Galil.....Look at the Tavors....
Ricky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ricky »

Just a small signature my friend made for me, hope you like it :)

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

abhishekm wrote:
Everything from the weaponry to the kit (and the headgear) indicates that they are not regular IA troops. Why can't MARCOS operate from dry land?
Sir jee,
RR wears such kind of head gear in J&K.

Ricky
I don't think signatures are allowed here :P
Ricky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ricky »

jamwal wrote:
abhishekm wrote:
Everything from the weaponry to the kit (and the headgear) indicates that they are not regular IA troops. Why can't MARCOS operate from dry land?
Sir jee,

Ricky
I don't think signatures are allowed here :P
i know :( but i just wanted everyone to see it :)
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Post it here.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

jamwal wrote:
abhishekm wrote:
Sir jee,
Correct. Nothing is out of ordinary in the PICS to suggest SF or Marcos including weapons or headgear. Tavor may be present with few RR units. did anyone noticed big backpacks carried by a lot of soldiers. Usually we dont see soldiers carrying them during search or cordon operations.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Tavor was first seen with the SG. could be them. they operate in J&K.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Rahul M wrote:Tavor was first seen with the SG. could be them. they operate in J&K.
Rahul, the SG??? never heard of it... can you please explain about them...
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^Read up BR article on Special Frontier Force . Very Interesting read. You will find your answer there.
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

Tavors are also issued to the RR(Cdo) forces. So they could well be RR. Btw SG!=SFF. SFF is for Tibetans only. SG is the Indian Army detachment that works under the SFF cover. Generally speaking, if an Indian says he/she was with SFF then they were with SG.

I am very glad to see the equipment loadout for our troops being improved. Newer backpacks with load distribution frames, hydration packs, better load bearing vests...hopefully this trend continues and spreads to the remainder of the forces too.

One minor nitpick though, the camo pattern for each person is different!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Rahul the first Tavors seen publicly with was RR (Cdo)

Thats why I mentioned it could be RR.

Darn Chandra - a good post spoiled by the camo whine :D
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

surya, the first shots IIRC were of two guys in fatigues and olive green bandanas in a semi-urban environment. are you talking of them or some other?
I seem to remember that there was consensus here on BRF that those were SG ?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Yes those two

Those were RR (Cdo).
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

Surya - the camo comment was intentional :D Just want to see if we still have posters here who go into a fit over this like the past. I seriously hope we don't get into this debate again. Just a clarification of where I stand in this debate - I don't care if they operate wearing checkered lungis as long the vermins get fertilized and we don't lose any of our boys.

Rahul - I think we figured them to be RR(Cdo). Someone with paanwala info confirmed it. The pic looked more like a bandobast during some local bandh\strike in Shopian than an operation. Also I doubt SG would get deployed so publicly given the nature of their operations!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Btw SG!=SFF. SFF is for Tibetans only. SG is the Indian Army detachment that works under the SFF cover. Generally speaking, if an Indian says he/she was with SFF then they were with SG.
Havent we given up on the policy of Tibetans only in SFF atleast 10-15 years back?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Per new reporting by Hindu journalist Praveen Swamy Special Group 1,2,3 are combined units of Indian Army SF and civilian SPOs and militias like 'Pir Panjal Scouts'. Special Group is also name of operational units within SFF. There is no evidence that SFF, specifically the Tibetan batts are actively involved in COIN ops in J&K
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

Incredibly beautiful pics. What is the source of these?