Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Riza Zaman »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^ When did IN ever have scooter helmets? Is this going to start the annual B-R scooter helmet debate? :mrgreen:
Some of the photos in the media that I've seen have featured our sailors in scooter helms and sterlings ... this was a few of years back though
Last edited by Riza Zaman on 08 Dec 2009 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

DMurphy, note that the NSG guy in the pic does have chubby cheeks :P

hoping to start a chubby cheeks debate on B-R
Sandipan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sandipan »

The "Chubby Cheek" might be a Our dear Pandu from aamchi Mumbai disguised as NSG
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

^ Nope. The chubby cheeks guy is NSG. None of the Mumbai Police personnel used MP5, only SLRs and AKs
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

while right now various Indian forces are scrambling for "decent" helmets,

I think a time has come when some Indian maker designs a new "decent" helmet that can be standardized across the indian military.

These helmets will become the signature of Indian forces worldwide rather than the "milieu" we are seeing right now.

something akin to the german stahlhelme series from yesteryears.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Saw something new while crossing Taj President on Sunday. A Mumbai Police pandu with an HK MP5 (don't know which variant) in a quick-draw holster worn on the right thigh. Should have stopped and requested him to pose for a pic. Damn!
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

it is more likely to have been the MP7 which can fit in a holster. They are part of the weapons ordered after 26/11. MP5 is too big to fit a thigh holster.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Marut wrote: MP5 is too big to fit a thigh holster.
Pravin Swami questioned the logic behind procuring MP7. Guess that counts as one of the reasons for it.
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Dmurphy wrote:
Marut wrote: MP5 is too big to fit a thigh holster.
Pravin Swami questioned the logic behind procuring MP7. Guess that counts as one of the reasons for it.
OT alert
Main Reason for MP7:
MP5 fires the 9x19 ammo which is considered to be inadequate for confirmed penetration of current body armour. MP7 fires the newer 4.6x30 ammo which was designed to penetrate current body armour. MP7 was developed to be a personal defence weapon (PDW), hence you will some reference to it as MP7 PDW. It is the next version of the MP5K - the compact version of MP5 - which was their first attempt for the PDW. Clicky for an article on MP7 and a picture of the gun in the holster.
/OT

Further discussion and replies can be in the Small Arms Thread. TIA.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

From ebay

Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Kakarat wrote:From ebay

is that an authenthic image??? somehow seems photoshop-ed to me... But still a good image...
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Its actually a collector's item!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ what exactly is being sold here ? a midas and a mainstay ? :mrgreen:
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Rahul M wrote:^^ what exactly is being sold here ? a midas and a mainstay ? :mrgreen:

An A4 size print of that photograph
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

I personally feel that the watermark is destroying the heart of the image so no point buying it if the watermark comes in the actual image..
Rahul M wrote:^^ what exactly is being sold here ? a midas and a mainstay ? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Am looking for a picture of Mumbai Mobile Coastal Battery photo that is in the BR Navy site somewhere .... it shows the 4k51 system firing the missile
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

slingshots as non leathal weapons! good one.
EDITED
Last edited by Rahul M on 12 Dec 2009 20:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted meaningless comment
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aditya G wrote:Am looking for a picture of Mumbai Mobile Coastal Battery photo that is in the BR Navy site somewhere .... it shows the 4k51 system firing the missile
Google Styx Bharat Rakshak
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

SaiK wrote:.........
Sling shots are NOT non leathal. They can and do cause serious amounts of injury if the person firing the shot is good enough.
Last edited by Rahul M on 14 Dec 2009 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: do not post large images inline.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Beautiful sight of Rambha over Kolkata Skies for the first time. Must have taken off from Tezpur airbase

Shots Courtesy: Livefist.blogspot.com
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

Pravin's strengths lie elsewhere, not with respect to arms and use of force. That article of his is spectacularly wrong, sadly putting him in the DDM class.
dandpatta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dandpatta »

To all the Vets (and non vets of BR),

HI this is Dandpatta - a few seconds old new member of BR.

I have read some comments about the new 'ill fitting' helmets issued to the Force 1 commandoes.

I would safely assume that all - or - most of BR members have some military background and are aware, that tactical helmets come in one size only. What makes the difference in fitting it over a head is the inner liner which can be tightened or loosened to fit over the head. Add to that, off course you have the chin straps that keeps it over the head.

To the chagrin of some members of BR, I do not think the new (PASGT type) helmets are ill-fitting on the Force-1 heads. In fact, a little bit of discipline on adjusting and fitting the inner liner correctly ON THE HEAD (instead of some of the commandos having it almost tilted it backwards) is what gives them a bit of a shabby, un-organised and "ill-fitting headwear" look.

Personally I would have preferred the helmets to have had a tactile fabric cover that matches the color of the uniforms.

Feedback is welcome

Cheers
Dandpatta
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

dandpatta wrote:...........I would safely assume that all - or - most of BR members have some military background and are aware, that tactical helmets come in one size only........To the chagrin of some members of BR, I do not think the new (PASGT type) helmets are ill-fitting on the Force-1 heads. In fact, a little bit of discipline on adjusting and fitting the inner liner correctly ON THE HEAD (instead of some of the commandos having it almost tilted it backwards) is what gives them a bit of a shabby, un-organised and "ill-fitting headwear" look............
Standard issue PASGT helmets comes in five sizes \
The Kevlar helmet is made in five sizes, including an XS (intended primarily for women) and an XL (rare, suitable only for men with a very large head). The unit weighs between 3.1 pounds (size XS) to 4.2 pounds (size XL).
All you need to do is google for "PASGT + Sizes".
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ I was told by one fella that they come in 1 size onlee - "Doesn't Fit" :mrgreen: Regardless of sizes, I doubt there is any helmet which fits perfectly.
dandpatta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dandpatta »

Raja-ji - Thanks for your reply. The M-1 (US Mil issue) came in 1 size. They have an inner liner with adjustable suspension system that fits all heads. But I do not think the Indians use M-1 but a hodge-podge of different variants based on the M-1.

George J - thanks to you too and yes, I did study the PASGT googling it. Didn't know THAT came in different sizes. However, the various helmets used in our unit are of the same size (regardless of head sizes) . How we do get around, is by adjusting the suspension system inside the liner.

Cheers
Dandpatta
Raja Bose wrote:^^^ I
was told by one fella that they come in 1 size onlee - "Doesn't Fit" :mrgreen: Regardless of sizes, I doubt there is any helmet which fits perfectly.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Ajeet taking off...

Pencil Sketch, 12" W x 6" H
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

dandpatta-ji, most of us are definitely non-military types. closest we have come to combat is XBox3. Do not assume we know anything (except for a few who do, e.g. RayC :))
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Welcome dandapatta ji. I suspect the maximum firepower that has been experienced by a majority BRFites is while in the toilet on a day when things are particularly hard to evacuate. So any knowledge and insight from someone who really knows is welcome. Thanks for taking the trouble to tell us and converting asatya to satya, and tamas to jyoti.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Hi Dandpatta

welcome

what unit are you in. (if possible)

Do not have to be specific.

CPMF, army etc
Mayuresh
BRFite

Post by Mayuresh »

Surya wrote:Hi Dandpatta

welcome

CPMF, army etc
From the name (or the inspiration thereof), I am guessing - Maratha Light Infantry
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Aditya G wrote:Image
Wow.. Didn't know India had purchased the buddy refueling kits for the flankers..
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Wow.. Didn't know India had purchased the buddy refueling kits for the flankers..
As matter of fact IAF was already practicing IFR before IL-78 thanks to these UPAZ pods, at least within the Su-30 squadrons. I have myself seen Mirage-2000TH with IFR probe much before IL-78 was inducted.
dandpatta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dandpatta »

Dear Mayuresh, Shiv, Surya, Lalmohan

Thanks for the warm welcome and I appreciate the tone of friendliness.

I am a 3rd Generation Singapore Indian and my grandfathers service in the Maratha Infantry in 1937-46 was what got me to Bharat-Rakshak (thanks to google for navigating me to BR as u call it).

Currently I serve the 12th Inf. Brigade, Singapore Army. My ID for Bharat Rakshak is coined after my grandfather's frequent mention of the Maratha tactical sword called Dandpatta, of which he was an expert handler.

Mayuresh - your guess about my ID is nearly right. But I am miles away from India, the land of my ancestors. I will try to post from time to time whenever time permits.

Regards
Dandpatta

Mayuresh wrote:
Surya wrote:Hi Dandpatta

welcome

CPMF, army etc
From the name (or the inspiration thereof), I am guessing - Maratha Light Infantry
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i was at the kolkatta tatoo on the 13th and 14th dec... there was display by a solitary SU 30 at the Turf Club close to Fort William... tent pegging display, chopper display, slithering etc, band etc.. interesting. no pics ..sorry.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

At the golf course next to the club or on the grounds next to victoria memorial?
sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sam_kamath »

dandpatta wrote:Dear Mayuresh, Shiv, Surya, Lalmohan

Thanks for the warm welcome and I appreciate the tone of friendliness.

I am a 3rd Generation Singapore Indian and my grandfathers service in the Maratha Infantry in 1937-46 was what got me to Bharat-Rakshak (thanks to google for navigating me to BR as u call it).

Currently I serve the 12th Inf. Brigade, Singapore Army. My ID for Bharat Rakshak is coined after my grandfather's frequent mention of the Maratha tactical sword called Dandpatta, of which he was an expert handler.

Mayuresh - your guess about my ID is nearly right. But I am miles away from India, the land of my ancestors. I will try to post from time to time whenever time permits.

Regards
Dandpatta

Dear Sir... I have a few friends in the singapore army myself... is it not the rule that every able bodied male required to serve at least 2 years in the defense forces in singapore? .. as far as I know most of these guys are considered draftees and given basic PT and basic weapons handling skills..
In any case please tell me how you being a part of the singapore army is in any way shape or form related to your flaunting of the ID rules ... Please remember give respect to get respect...

regards...
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

manjgu wrote:i was at the kolkatta tatoo on the 13th and 14th dec... there was display by a solitary SU 30 at the Turf Club close to Fort William... tent pegging display, chopper display, slithering etc, band etc.. interesting. no pics ..sorry.
Pics are here

Army band, clad in LED suits, performing on the eve of Vijay Diwas (Victory Day) celebrations in Kolkata.
Pics by Kamalendu Bhadra and Deshakalyan Chowdhury. Source : ToI

manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

Gagan . it was within the turf club.. within the green enclosed by the race track... close to victoria. in fact on the way to venue i was offered a booklet on horse racing :-))

i was talking to the solo horseman shown in the pic.. guy with the ( wooden) sword in the hand ... nice chap, a rajasthani . there were 2 officers as well ..all of them were from ASC. .. a horse at full gallop is quite a sight !!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aditya G wrote:Image
Wow, almost unbelievable - whats the source of this pic? Anything in better resolution?