Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
atreya
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by atreya »

:shock: I didn't know that! Thanks for telling. Thats the reason there is such loud echo when they do the 3-Volley salute! How long have they been using this?
:rotfl:[/quote]
:oops: :oops: I SERIOUSLY believed that! Bah! It happens :)
AshokS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshokS »

Raja Bose wrote:
AshokS wrote:I saw an IL-76 ? large transport with a refueling probe land yesterday, somewhere in the east region.... I am guessing it was a air to air refueling tanker.
Which way was the probe pointing, forward or backward? Or perhaps you mean refuelling pod? :-?
It was at the front, facing forward,like normal refueling probes. It wasn't the refueling pod. Which IL-76s does the IAF have with the refueling probe in the front? I know the Phalcon does, what about the normal tankers?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I havent seen any IAF big birds with permanently extended refuelling probes which would allow them to take in fuel themselves...does anybody have any pics of that? paging Jagman....
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Did you happen to notice if there was a dome attached on top of that IL-76? This might have been the A-50I Phalcon.

I don't think any IAF IL-76s have a refuelling probe yet.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Tried to look up if there were any examples of IL76's attached with refueling probes elsewhere but nothing came up in any of the search engines..
Is IAF trying something new here???
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Can someone ID these guys who are providing security at the Hockey world cup?

sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Dmurphy wrote:Can someone ID these guys who are providing security at the Hockey world cup?

Are you sure that they are for Hockey World Cup because they seem to belong to some paramilitary force & based on what we have been reading in newspapers nobody else but Delhi Police is providing security for this world cup...I have seen a pic where Delhi Police QRT is taking part in a mock drill in Dhyanchand Stadium...Can't find it right now....will try to dig it out.....
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

at least they are all wearing the same camo :mrgreen:
pali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pali »

why the preference of black patkas over helmets? I find patkas completely useless, they should really provide bullet proof helmets to soldiers/commandos.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

pali wrote:why the preference of black patkas over helmets? I find patkas completely useless, they should really provide bullet proof helmets to soldiers/commandos.
Pali saab, have you YOURSELF, used a Patka In battle??? If not, then I suggest going through the CT/Coint Thread where adequate discussions were held about effective uses of Patkas vs Helmets!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^ that is a bandana. I know a patka is a similar object but in this context it is better to avoid the confusion with this http://www.securemobileindia.com/patka.htm
funny thing being that the so called bullet-proof helmet is not effective against the bullet that actually matters, AK-47's. the lowly patka however is proof against ak fire.

btw, it's not practical to wear a helmet all the time in our weather. there's a difference between reel life and real life.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Those guys are from the Indian Reserve Battalion, a sort of paramilitary unit under the state government.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Rahul M wrote:^^^ that is a bandana. I know a patka is a similar object but in this context it is better to avoid the confusion with this http://www.securemobileindia.com/patka.htm
funny thing being that the so called bullet-proof helmet is not effective against the bullet that actually matters, AK-47's. the lowly patka however is proof against ak fire.

btw, it's not practical to wear a helmet all the time in our weather. there's a difference between reel life and real life.
Yes. I think this bandana can be considered the equivalent of the hat or cap that Western Forces use. You cannot always move around wearing helmets in hot and humid weather. I remember, during the 2002 Aksharadham attack, the NSG commandos all wore bandanas and no helmets (atleast the pics showed them without helmets). I wonder why!
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

atreya wrote: I remember, during the 2002 Aksharadham attack, the NSG commandos all wore bandanas and no helmets (atleast the pics showed them without helmets). I wonder why!
That may be because of what RahulM said regarding most helmets. Even the PASGT helmets used till recently by US Army were effective only against 9mm. So perhaps the helmets used by NSG at that time were also ineffective against AK-47.
BTW, does someone know the protection level provided by the new MICH helmets and Lightweight Helmets being used by US Army?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

the bandana also doubles as a hanky.... with sweat pouring over the eyes, the bandana is a good thing to have. keeps the hands and eyes dry. very useful...
davidzts
BRFite -Trainee

Post by davidzts »

sunny y wrote:
Dmurphy wrote:Can someone ID these guys who are providing security at the Hockey world cup?

Are you sure that they are for Hockey World Cup because they seem to belong to some paramilitary force & based on what we have been reading in newspapers nobody else but Delhi Police is providing security for this world cup...I have seen a pic where Delhi Police QRT is taking part in a mock drill in Dhyanchand Stadium...Can't find it right now....will try to dig it out.....
I think these guys are SSB.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

It's not that hot yet in New Delhi. If heat is such a big issue that helmets can be discarded, then why use BPJs either ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

because the BPJ can actually protect you from AR fire, helmets can't. it's advantages aren't worth the disadvantages.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

sunny y wrote:
Sunny sir,
its a multi layer system for the security for the hockey world cup comprising of delhi police, "commandos", and "paramilitary forces" ( the forces are as quoted by STOI)... And based on the force levels quoted i guess the Delhi Police forms the outer perimeter....
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Rahul M wrote:because the BPJ can actually protect you from AR fire, helmets can't. it's advantages aren't worth the disadvantages.
patkas can protect from AK fire as you stated yourself. So why not use them?
pali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pali »

patkas can stop AK fire!! that's news to me :lol:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

pali wrote:patkas can stop AK fire!! that's news to me :lol:
:roll: did you even read the link ?

gaur, does everyone need to have a helmet all the time at all ? it depends on the situation, role etc.
Natt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Natt »

pali wrote:patkas can stop AK fire!! that's news to me :lol:
Pali go a couple a posts back and Rahul and posted a link for you..obviously you have not read it.. I ll do it again. Please, this time, make an effort, click on it and read it.
http://www.securemobileindia.com/patka.htm
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Image Image Image Image Image
now this is what I truly call, BEHIND ENEMY LINES :twisted: :twisted:
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Drill Purpose Rifles. (White band).. i guess dont want a stray bullet knocking some VIP's hat off..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:Drill Purpose Rifles. (White band).. i guess don't want a stray bullet knocking some VIP's hat off..
Jagan recall the comment (perhaps on BR) that one of the problems in a massive R day military parade is to ensure that every firearm carrying man in the marching columns goes through security to ensure that live munitions are not being somehow smuggled in.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:massive R day military parade is to ensure that every firearm carrying man in the marching columns goes through security to ensure that live munitions are not being somehow smuggled in.
I can understand that. infact I am sure the rifles carried during RD are real ones and not DP. perhpas Ray can confirm that?

These DP rifles are of no use even if someone gets hold of live ammo!

Meanwhile somewhere on the western front

manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

bala .. security at hockey world cup is very funny... there are all kinds of uniforms just standing laizily all over.. if there are 5 spectators then there are at least 500 police chaps... even NSG is there with their vehicles... i think the total security folks can easily fill the stadium.. !!!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Who is the fella with Nachiketa? Is Nachiketa flying transports now?
bodhi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bodhi »

Jagan wrote:
Meanwhile somewhere on the western front

Looks like the wing commander has put on a bit of weight since his Kargil days :). Good to see him though!

Added Later: Raja Sir, he's flying the Midas now
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Nice to see him,he was flying the An-32 few months back,saw a report in NDTV,good to see him flying the Midas. :)
SriniY
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SriniY »

Who is Commander Nachiketa, could some one elaborate .
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

SriniY wrote:Who is Commander Nachiketa, could some one elaborate .

http://tinyurl.com/yzmxbw9 :mrgreen:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Raja Bose wrote:Who is the fella with Nachiketa? Is Nachiketa flying transports now?
yes he sustained a spinal injury during the bail-out and had to shift from fighters to transport. last I read of him in press, he was flying An-32's in the eastern sector. they said he would convert to the IL-76 and seems he has, to the '78. and it's Wg Cmdr Nachiketa now ! :)
good to see all's well with him.

srini, his mig-27 flamed out during a firing run in kargil campaign and on bailing out he was captured by the TSPians. after a couple of weeks (IIRC) of a nation waiting anxiously given the fates of other POW's with TSP like Capt Kalia he was returned by the pakis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kambampati_Nachiketa
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

bodhi wrote: he's flying the Midas now
Sorry, didn't notice the patch! :oops:
Natt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Natt »

Great to see him again. Just a doubt, wont a rank of Wg Cdr make him the CO of 78 sqd. Not sure. Anybody?
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

shiv wrote:
massive R day military parade is to ensure that every firearm carrying man in the marching columns goes through security to ensure that live munitions are not being somehow smuggled in.
As a precautionary measure firing pin is removed from the rifles.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

SriniY wrote:Who is Commander Nachiketa, could some one elaborate .
I am sorry but I have to ask. Did you follow the kargil war at all??
Not knowing the names of Sdr Ldr Ajay Ahuja, (then) Flt. Lt. Nachiketa and Capt. Saurabh Kalia is unpardonable.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Raja Bose wrote:Who is the fella with Nachiketa? Is Nachiketa flying transports now?
Sandeep Unnithan Associate Editor India Today with Nachi. I envy Sandeep :cry: