Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by MN Kumar »

Hap
Austin wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:Who is the fella with Nachiketa? Is Nachiketa flying transports now?
Sandeep Unnithan Associate Editor India Today with Nachi. I envy Sandeep :cry:
Happened to see him once at a restaurant. Didnt disturb him as he was with his family and having a good time with his kids. Looked quite jovial. Was talking quite loud on the mobile which caught everyones attention. No one knew who he was.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Fella is big boss sized considering Nachiketa is pretty tall himself :mrgreen:
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

He lived to his name,Mythological Nachiketa was a kid who visited YamaDharmaraj and returned
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aus, if you recognise Sandeep , then you must be OLD (Timer)
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Yes, Nachiketa (call name Nachi) was moved to transports after the Kargil episode. Dunno why. Low medical cat??
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

prasenjit ji, I read that he sustained a spinal injury during bailout which forced that move.
SriniY
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SriniY »

nachiket wrote:
SriniY wrote:Who is Commander Nachiketa, could some one elaborate .
I am sorry but I have to ask. Did you follow the kargil war at all??
Not knowing the names of Sdr Ldr Ajay Ahuja, (then) Flt. Lt. Nachiketa and Capt. Saurabh Kalia is unpardonable.

saar, I was 12 when Kargil happened. Saw a little bit on TV and have read about it as I grew up but do not know names as such.
Will read in more detail now though
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

pmund wrote:Yes, Nachiketa (call name Nachi) was moved to transports after the Kargil episode. Dunno why. Low medical cat??
If i remember correctly, after that incident in Kargil he had one more engine flamed out , which as per the news article happened because the pilot did not follow the laid down rules.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

rajsunder wrote:If i remember correctly, after that incident in Kargil he had one more engine flamed out , which as per the news article happened because the pilot did not follow the laid down rules.
Where did you get that? After the Kargil bailout, he underwent treatment for spinal injuries that disqualified him from flying fighters. So he re-trained and was flying An-32's for a while (circa 2006). Now he appears to have moved on to the IL-78.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

Natt wrote:Great to see him again. Just a doubt, wont a rank of Wg Cdr make him the CO of 78 sqd. Not sure. Anybody?
Not in today's IAF. Due to accelerated promotions, Wing Cdrs are more commonplace than ever before (similar conditions in army and navy). Won't comment on the sagacity of the policy.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

ManuJ wrote:
Natt wrote:Great to see him again. Just a doubt, wont a rank of Wg Cdr make him the CO of 78 sqd. Not sure. Anybody?
Not in today's IAF. Due to accelerated promotions, Wing Cdrs are more commonplace than ever before (similar conditions in army and navy). Won't comment on the sagacity of the policy.
Have we reached the stage where we have more than one Lt.Col. in Infantry/Artillery/Armor/ADA and others? I know there are exceptions to this rule in certain establisments but then that is as per clearly defined requirement.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

technically yeah it would ... as its equivalent to Lt colonel who generally commands a battalion... but in modern day IAF its pretty common due to promotions on time scale...

Added later: didn't see that another page's worth had been posted before me...
neilmurali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neilmurali »

Can anyone post pics of various uniforms for different occasions of the Indian Army.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

manjgu wrote:the bandana also doubles as a hanky.... with sweat pouring over the eyes, the bandana is a good thing to have. keeps the hands and eyes dry. very useful...
1 more use of the bandana is it can be wrapped around as a face-mask, as done frequently by RR during encounters. You cannot do that with a cap or hat!
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Found this on Militaryphotos......Unbelievable.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Was this bomb dropped? Which war is this from?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Op Safed Sagar. But of course (look at the words on it)
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

atreya wrote::rotfl: :rotfl:
Was this bomb dropped? Which war is this from?
Kargil war... Delivered by the venerable Bahadur of the IAF...

Added later- Didn't see that Sanku Sir had replied..
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Op Safed Sagar. But of course (look at the words on it)
So obvious! :oops:

This is true filmy style. Like Abhishek Bachchan's dialogue in LOC Kargil. "Madhuri Dixit ke paas time nahi hain, hamare saath kaam chalana padega" :lol:
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

rohitvats wrote:Have we reached the stage where we have more than one Lt.Col. in Infantry/Artillery/Armor/ADA and others? I know there are exceptions to this rule in certain establisments but then that is as per clearly defined requirement.
I know that it's common to find multiple Wg Cdrs in an IAF unit. I also know of at least a few IA units where that is true. Must confess that I don't know about the navy, but assumed that it faced the same situation.
But what's so surprising about this? If there are suddenly many more Lt. Col. ranked officers in the armed forces than just a few years ago, how are they to be accommodated? Maybe in the long run....
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

This is a pictures thread. Please end discussions/chats here. Typically, pictures and a couple of lines commentary on them by the poster is all that is required. Any discussion can be taken to another thread...
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

DAADSAR, KASHMIR, INDIA - MARCH 04: (INDIA AND Indian Army soldiers rest near the area of a gun battle between Pakistani-trained Kashmiri militants and Indian troops on March 04, 2010 in Daadsar, 37 km (23 miles) south of Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian administered Kashmir, India. Indian military reports state that one Indian army Captain and four Pakistani-trained Kashmiri militants of Hizbul Mujahideen, the largest militant outfit operating in Indian Administered Kashmir have been killed during an ongoing gun fight in the village of Daadsar which started on Wednesday morning.
Residents look at destroyed residential houses after a gunbattle in Dadsar village, some 37 kilometers (23 miles) south of Srinagar, India, Friday, March 5, 2010. Thousands of villagers shouting freedom slogans participated in the funeral procession of four guerrillas of the Hezb-ul Mujahideen outfit killed by government security forces Thursday in a 30 hour gunbattle that also killed an Indian army captain and destroyed four residential houses.

----------------------------
RIP
India Army personnel pay their last respect near the coffins of those who died in the suicide attack in central Kabul on Friday, at an airport in New Delhi February 27, 2010. Taliban fighters opened fire, hurled grenades and staged suicide bombings in central Kabul on Friday, killing at least 16 people including 9 Indians in defiance of the Western-backed government and a NATO offensive.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Madhya Pradesh Special Task Force and Anti Terrorist Squad teams during special commando training in the jungles of Kerva in Bhopal.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

The balidan badge stands out in the pic( due to its extremenly bright colour!!)

Must be a ex-SF who is in charge of training the MP "boys"...
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

sum wrote:The balidan badge stands out in the pic( due to its extremenly bright colour!!)

Yes. But the gun held by him is having me in split minds. The butt looks like that of a folding stock AK-47, but the muzzle looks like that of an MP-5.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Just came across a few recently shot High-Res Images of the IAF Beriev A-50EI at Tel-Aviv, though i'd share it with you folks.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

sum wrote:The balidan badge stands out in the pic( due to its extremenly bright colour!!)

I doubt if its a balidan badge. The Balidan badge is worn on the right chest. And my experience with Army veterans is they are real sticklers or rules - even after retirement.
Natt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Natt »

I checked the source picture, zoomed in, it is the Balidan badge,actually looks like a 'patch' sewn into the shirt. Another thing, if this the only badge/patch he is wearing, it makes sense to wear it on the left side.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Wheres the source picture?
Natt wrote:Another thing, if this the only badge/patch he is wearing, it makes sense to wear it on the left side.
patches are one thing. but a badge is part of an official attire and is governed by rules on how they should be worn.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Just came across a few recently shot High-Res Images of the IAF Beriev A-50EI at Tel-Aviv, though i'd share it with you folks.
Thanks. Nice pics.
shanksinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shanksinha »

Talking of A-50, found a couple of sweet air to air pics taken during test flying in Russia.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt58 ... a/A50b.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt58 ... ha/A50.jpg

Thanks.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Jagan wrote:Aus, if you recognise Sandeep , then you must be OLD (Timer)
Yes Sir , if memory serves me right I have been associated with BR/BRF for nearly 9 years now , had couple of opportunities to meet Sandeep during BRF Mumbai meet held those days , back then he was a Defence Jurno for IE , a jolly person and a great human being is how I would describe Sandeep.

BTW Sandeep mentioned that Nachi was having good time flying new big planes and eating Rasmalai in that picture :wink:
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Rahul M wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:Who is the fella with Nachiketa? Is Nachiketa flying transports now?
yes he sustained a spinal injury during the bail-out and had to shift from fighters to transport.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kambampati_Nachiketa

There is more than what meets the eye !!! Anybody who knows the story will probably keep mum, now that it is almost 10 years.

K
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SRay »

Jagan wrote:I doubt if its a balidan badge. The Balidan badge is worn on the right chest. And my experience with Army veterans is they are real sticklers or rules - even after retirement.
Remember that the picture could always have been L-R flipped to go better with the webpage it was published on. Any high res versions of this pic would be great.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The injury was due to the ejection

He was roughed up a bit by some army wallahs
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

SRay wrote: Remember that the picture could always have been L-R flipped to go better with the webpage it was published on. .
That would require all the soldiers in the picture to be left handed - wouldnt it? they are holding guns right handed and would have to be left handed if the pic is flipped. what are the chances of that?
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

Doesn't he just make you feel safe :roll:

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

tejas wrote:Doesn't he just make you feel safe :roll:
Safe in what way?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Marten wrote:
tejas wrote:Doesn't he just make you feel safe :roll:
Safely curled up in the foetal position.
India's defence minister makes you feel safely curled up in the foetal position?
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

May be we should make Rambo our defence minister. :-?