China Military Watch

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ChandraS

Re: China Military Watch

Post by ChandraS »

Guddu wrote: However, is it not so that after this incident we have become less "aggressive". I frequently read about Chinese border incursions and also that the Tibetan Border Force has restrictions placed on it (as I recall they are not allowed near the border)...am I misremembering ?.
You are mostly correct. SFF was not allowed to be deployed within 5 kms of the border or something to that effect. It was part of some understanding between India and China. Also the SFF folks were going on some 'unauthorised' diversions during their regular ops leading to some delicate situations :P

Regarding us becoming less aggressive, I think it's a matter of perception in the absence of any confirmed reports other than some news articles talking of our patrols joining hands to form a human roadblock, etc.. The number of reports about the Chinese incursions could well be a ploy.

My inferences from the Sumdorung Chu is that the Chinese learnt their lessons and went to the drawing board to rectify what they figured to be their shortcoming. Their thrust into Tibet in terms of rail and road infrastructure and air bases with extra long runways are mostly a result of this study, IMVHO only. This gives the Chinese a huge advantage to bring in their supplies and reinforcements quickly and in greater numbers than us pretty much upto the border. In contrast, we have yet to develop any road or rail links worth talking about. Our military is still supplied by air and mule trains for a large part of the border. We didn't develop such infrastructure fearing it would help the Chinese if they come knocking again ala '62 :x I don't know if hte military was part of this thinking but the bureaucrats and netas for sure were. Guess the doofuses didn't figure that we could blow the infrastructure if it comes to that, something like 'scorch earth' policy of the Russians. :roll:
abhiti
BRFite

Post by abhiti »

sum wrote:Sadly (for the Chinese), the Indians have come a long way since 62 and the Chinese will be in for a rude shock if they assume that it will be a 62 like walkover again in this age( they should have got the hints from the "Chola incident" etc)
Never underestimate your enemy. No doubt Indian military has come a long way since 62. But Chinese military is evolving fast as well. The Indo-China situation is rapidly evolving. The old calculations of past decades don't hold true. The biggest chance is the demise of USSR. Another being improved logistics (road and rail) network in Tibet. These two changes coupled with rapid modernization will provide China the ability to launch an attack from Tibet. This is exactly what our military chiefs are telling us.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

abhiti wrote: Never underestimate your enemy. No doubt Indian military has come a long way since 62. But Chinese military is evolving fast as well. The Indo-China situation is rapidly evolving. The old calculations of past decades don't hold true. The biggest chance is the demise of USSR. Another being improved logistics (road and rail) network in Tibet. These two changes coupled with rapid modernization will provide China the ability to launch an attack from Tibet. This is exactly what our military chiefs are telling us.
Absolutely no doubt in that but all im saying that we wont be like the bali ka bakras of 62...We have come long way since then( of course, there is still a long way to go) and China will have to pay a heavier price than 62 if it tries some mischief this time around...
abhiti
BRFite

Post by abhiti »

sivabala wrote:Most of the Indian companies in computer technologies are in just database maintenance business. There is no noteworthy Indian company in internet security service. We don't even have good indigenous encryption technology. Our intelligence agencies cannot decrypt 128 bit encrypted communication. Almost for all wireless radio decryption our agencies rely on imported hardware. How can you expect our country to be proactive in this domain.
It is hard for any government to compete in internet security. The reason american govt is able to accomplish so much is because it depends on leading network and software providers to do what it needs done. Infact Cisco has a seperate department (with its own office, independent network, and seperate security from rest of the organization) which works with govt in internet security (read dominating internet for america). The same is true for every large system provider (hardware or software). The reason China is able compete at all is because of the company called Huawei which is supported by massive Chinese infrastructure orders. In India we depend on foreign equipment makers. So I doubt we will be able to compete with Chinese in this area. The only hope I see is if likes of Cisco, Microsoft, McAfee, Symantec etc increase their R&D investment in India. This can create sufficient knowledge base in Bangalore to deal with this threat.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

sum wrote:China will have to pay a heavier price than 62
But will a heavier price bring them victory? :wink:
abhiti
BRFite

Post by abhiti »

sum wrote:Absolutely no doubt in that but all im saying that we wont be like the bali ka bakras of 62...We have come long way since then( of course, there is still a long way to go) and China will have to pay a heavier price than 62 if it tries some mischief this time around...
No doubt about that. Though the situation for India can be very grim if Pakistan decides to join in when China attacks. We don't have the capacity to hold both Pakistan and China.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

abhiti wrote:No doubt about that. Though the situation for India can be very grim if Pakistan decides to join in when China attacks
Which they will undoubtedly will. Back in 62 the Pakis were caught off guard at the strategic level regarding the Chinese intentions. You can be sure that that particular mistake won't happen again...
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

It seems these Yaogan birds are operated by the PLA. This is the sixth to be launched.

Yaogan 1, 3, and 5 are in SSO and are SAR imaging (5m resolution/40km swath)
Yaogan 2, 4, and 6 are in LEO and are electro-optical imaging (0.6 - 1.0 m resolution)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

written by a Puke who pretends to be Bangladeshi and goes by the name of PLA-MKII on the Keypub forum. don't go too much into his fanboy garbage.
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nsa_tanay »

upps .......... I didn't know they had synthetic aperture radars capability .... that too for almost 4 yrs
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

Is China doing a Mayanmar in Sri Lanka?

China Gains where India Loses
The Hambantota port construction is estimated to cost $1 billion to be lent by the Exim Bank of China. The entire project is expected to be completed in 15 years in four phases. The first phase of construction, which was started in October 2007, is estimated to cost $450 million. The entire project, inter alia, provides for the construction of a gas-fired power plant project, a ship repair unit, a container repair unit, an oil refinery and a bunkering terminal. The bunkering terminal, which is expected to be completed in 39 months, provides for the terminal to handle up to 500,000 metric tonnes of oil products a year.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Guys, there is this thread on key publishing forum, they show picture of varyag being moved to a dry dock,any idea may be a possible refit of the aircraft carrier.Check this out :
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... 227&page=8
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Chinese AVIC Top Head admits the Poor Quality of Jet Engine

Apr.2 (China Defense Mashup Reporting by Johnathan Weng) — Mr. Lin Zuoming (林左鸣), the top head of ACIC (Aviation Industry Corporation of China), has to admit that China’s “Taihang” WS-10 Turbofan Engine is still unsatisfactory in its quality.
In one of his opening letter, he says that the military aircraft engine production has been the “chronic illness” in Chinese aviation industry and he urges that the solving of “Taihang” WS-10 Turbofan engine is the key step to reinforce the Quality Control Procedure in AVIC.

Now PLA Air Force has install some WS-10 engine on its J-11B dual-engine heavy fighters for evaluation. But the result is not positive. Some resources report that the quality of WS-10 engine is terrible and PLA Air Force has begun to lose patiency of purchasing more WS-10 engine.
SuKan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SuKan »

krishna_krishna wrote:Guys, there is this thread on key publishing forum, they show picture of varyag being moved to a dry dock,any idea may be a possible refit of the aircraft carrier.Check this out :
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... 227&page=8

The news is based on this source

http://www.china-defense-mashup.com/?p=3392

More discussions are here

http://www.sinodefenceforum.com/navy/la ... #post98144
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

Varyag's Flight Deck looks similar to Vikramaditya,which kind of Aircraft will they be using?SU-33 or Mig 29Kub
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Chinese and American ships clash again in Yellow Sea
China demonstrated its growing naval confidence again in the latest standoff between American and Chinese ships.

The fifth such incident in two months occurred on Friday in the Yellow Sea when a US Navy surveillance ship turned its fire hoses on two Chinese fishing vessels.

A spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry said that the American ship was operating in China’s exclusive economic zone without permission and had violated Chinese and international laws. “We express our concern about this and demand the US side take effective measures to ensure a similar incident does not happen again,” he said.

The USNS Victorious, an ocean surveillance ship designed for anti-submarine warfare and underwater mapping, was conducting what the Pentagon called routine operations in the waters between China and the Korean peninsula. The Chinese vessels came within 100ft (30 metres) of the vessel.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Just a few days ago I saw a picture of a proposed Chinese AC with what the site claimed to be 6 cats!!!!!!!!!!!! The picture showed 4 and I could not see or figure out where the other two were - so I did not pay much attention to it. I have not been able to find that site again. IIRC it was a Chinese site.

The four cats were duplicates of the traditional two. Must be a monster of a ship to pile that many cats.

Well google to my rescue. No pictures here, but: May, 2009 :: China Links Military Power To Economic Security
Russian technology may figure heavily in carrier designs. In April, a Chinese television show interviewed experts who speculated that the new carrier would be similar to the Varyag, and employ a ski-jump. But the show also explored a unique configuration with up to six catapults. Carriers may be built at Dalian, the location of the Varyag, and at an expanded shipyard on Changxing Island near Shanghai. An early base for China’s carrier force will likely be a new naval base on Hainan Island.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

NRao, I believe THIS is what you are refering to.

Note that in the begining of the issue, there's a small blurb about the IAF being the first customer for the new Il-476 aerial tanker version.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

DoD Background Briefing
China's military is also enhancing its strategic capabilities in the nuclear, space and cyberspace domains. And in this context it's developing new generations of land- and sea-based nuclear missiles capable of targeting the United States as well as other regional powers. And this includes the road-mobile solid-fueled intercontinental-range ballistic missiles like the DF-31 and the DF-31A, as well as the JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missile for deployment aboard the new Jin-class ballistic missile submarine -- the Chinese call it the Type 094 -- which we expect to IOC this year or perhaps next year.
SR. DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Longer-range capabilities could include conventional ballistic missiles, both the short-range ballistic missiles like the ones that are deployed opposite Taiwan, but also longer-range, like conventional medium-range ballistic missiles, which is something that they're working on, as well as the DF-21D, which is an anti-ship ballistic missile that they're working on. That's based on a CSS-5 medium-range ballistic missile air frame. Those are the types of things that we would consider, you know, disruptive in terms of longer-range capabilities.
pankaj
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pankaj »

The Chinese think big, we don't
Rajesh Kalra Tuesday May 19, 2009

A number of readers were upset with my blogpost 'Slumdog India' because I had compared India with China and portrayed China as a nation that had its infrastructure priorities right. Readers pasted me on the comparison and held forth on China's shocking human rights record.

I am a proud Indian and have no doubt that despite poor infrastructure, we are a better country to live in. We have the freedom to do things that would be the envy of the world, leave alone China. But this post, unfortunately, is again a comparison between the two nations, but in a different context.

Let me get to the point straight away and look at the geopolitical aspirations of the two nations. We all know that while we have aspirations, China has gone far ahead, and is feared and envied the world over. A strong dose of such a feeling was administered to me last week as I cycled around the Ladakh region.

In the Changthang region of Ladakh, at 14,000 feet, there is breathtakingly beautiful Pangong Tso (Lake). Only 40% of this 130-odd-km-long lake is in India and the remainder is in Tibet (China). Since the lake is shared between the two, it is inevitable that the forces of India and China have boat patrols too.

Now, the forces of the two nations have an unwritten understanding (as conveyed to me by a senior army officer) that since it is a peaceful region, they would not fire at each other. So, what the two forces often indulge in is a game of cat and mouse. They enter each other's territory, activate their opponents, and rush back to the safety of their home waters. If you shut your eyes, you can actually imagine the Indian game of 'kabaddi'. Both sides have power boats for the task.

It is even so far, but don't pop the bubbly yet. In any case, we have this irritating habit of popping the bubbly too soon. Sania Mirza wins a point in the first round of a US Open game, and we behave as if she has won the grand slam. OK, that may be an exaggeration, but it surely happens when she wins a set in the first round.

But getting back to the boat patrols. How would you imagine, this 'kabaddi' is played? I would have imagined that our guys are sitting ready, in their hideouts, and as soon as they sense an incursion, they scramble into their power boats and chase the Chinese back. How lovely! And the Chinese would be doing the same. I really would have loved to see a game. Pity, neither side obliged. Apparently, that is not how it happens, though. I went around talking to more of our guys around, and the information was startling.

Our high-speed power boats look great, and they can move really fast on water, but, they take 30 minutes to warm up before they can chase our Chinese brethren. We have two such boats. Of course, we have other small motor boats too belonging to the army and the border police, but they are like the ones tourists use when they go visiting a vacation destination. Thankfully, at that altitude, not many are in the frame of mind to demand such facilities.

And how many such boats do the Chinese have? Though villagers claim the number to be upwards of 40, the army guys acknowledge the number to be around 22. So the ratio is 2:22, if you disregard the locals, who are normally well informed. These locals are diehard patriots, who also proudly showed me the indelible ink mark on their fingers that they voted. Ladakh had elections in the last phase, on May 13. They were also aware that no such rights exist on the other side of the border.

I asked the villagers to compare our boats with the Chinese. The honest assessment was that though our boats are fast, their boats are smaller and faster. But that is not what has caught their imagination. Almost all of them claimed that the Chinese boats emerge out of water suddenly, at high speed, and dive back in too. This means the Chinese are using submersible boats.

When I confronted an armyman with this claim, he pooh-pooed it: Why would they have something so expensive here? This one sentence itself made the comparison futile. We think small, they think big!

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... mment-form
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

^^

they are using submersible boats for patrolling........ :eek:

its the first time am hearing about such kind of boats..........
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

All this talk about thinking big is fine. But using submersibles for regular patrol missions? :shock: Heck, I was not even aware about the existence of submersibles till now. I personally doubt they will be using submersibles. I can get that they would have more patrol boats than us, but submersibles? Sorry, but this seems too far fetched to me. It has nothing to do with "thinking big", its waste of resources. And if one is to take the word of locals over army personnel who actually deal with Chinese patrols, then good luck to them.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Although, I dont believe these hypes of "Submersible boat" unless someone has a videotaped footage of it, however, they are available and used by columbian/mexican drug peddlers. In the past, I also read somewhere about "an Iranian" made vessel of this type.
Last edited by ashish raval on 20 May 2009 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ I am not denying the existence of submersibles. I am simply stating the improbability of them being used for regular patrolling. I also take offense at the author accusing army personnel of lying. Surely, having to deal with them, the said army person would know more about Chinese patrol boats than locals. If the Chinese were using submersibles, he would surely know. This small thing would surely be within the grasp of the author. So why, according to the author, are the army personnel lying?
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

what is this:

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=41922
The warning came in a directive approved by Hu from the Central Military Commission, which ensures the ruling Communist Party's control of the PLA, and told top-ranking officers not to stray politically.
Last edited by Gerard on 23 May 2009 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: copyright
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

China's naval ambitions scares Asia.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 71,00.html

China's Navy Grows, and the World Watches Warily
By Ishaan Tharoor Wednesday, May. 13, 2009
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

While surfing I came across a few pics of Chicom's 5th Gen plane. IF it is a close picture, it does look real good.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

link ? there are a few fakes floating around so we must be careful.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

HQ-19 (S-400) (China), Defensive weapons

It is now believed that the Russian S-400 Triumf (Chinese designator HQ-19) surface-to-air missile system was a joint development programme with China. The system uses the same sensors, battle management and launch vehicles as the Russian S-300 (SA-10/-20 'Grumble') and Chinese HQ-9/-15. The S-400 introduces three new missiles, the 9M96, 9M96/2 and the 40N6, which can be fitted in new canisters replacing all or some of the S-300 missile canisters on the TEL. It is believed that a new TEL vehicle has been developed specifically to carry the S-400 missiles, and that this is a wheeled vehicle carrying six to eight missiles. The 9M96 missile has a length of 4.75 m, a body diameter of 0.24 m, a launch weight of 333 kg, and a 24 kg HE warhead. Guidance is inertial with command updates and an active radar terminal seeker. The missile has a two-stage solid propellant motor system, with a maximum range of 40 km. The second stage has lateral thrust motors to improve manoeuvrability in the terminal phase, similar to the US PAC-3 design. It can intercept targets from 5 m up to 20 km altitude. The 9M96/2 missile has a length of 5.65 m, a body diameter of 0.24 m, and a launch weight of 420 kg. The two missiles share the same separating second stage, but have different boost motors. The 9M96/2 missile has a maximum range of 120 km, and can intercept targets from 5 m up to 30 km altitude. The 40N6 version
http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/j ... s9067.html
S-400 spotted in china

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6638 ... 382252.jpg
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ Well, this has been speculated for some time now. I hope that it remains a speculation and nothing more.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

More on Varyag + news from Brazil
The first thing I noticed was that there are 3 large cranes around Varyag, which means a lot of resources could be devoted to do the intended work. We also see some scaffolding around the island, which should allow workers to access the flight deck and do their work. The entire right side of the flight deck seem to be open. That's where the VLS for shipwreck missiles used to be located. Looks like a lot of work is going to be done there.
I think the important part is that Jobim is going to China this fall to basically finalize a deal that will allow Chinese naval pilots to train from Sao Paulo. You can see a little bit about the Sao Paulo aircraft carrier in its Wikipedia Page. I think it's kind of interesting that they chose Sao Paulo, because it's basically the only aircraft carrier with catapult and not serving for a country that current has military embargo on China.
The other interesting part is that PLAN actually told Brazil that its building multiple carriers for power projection.
Chindit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Chindit »

Troops at glacial heights along Sino-India border to get ATVs
New Delhi (PTI): Troops posted at the icy heights of more than 15,000 feet along the Sino-Indian border will now have light armoured vehicles and advanced all terrain vehicles (ATV) to manouvre themselves in the snow-capped mountains for enhancing security.

The ITBP, which guards the 3,488 km-long India's border with China, is currently testing prototypes of an ATV and armoured machines, which will be deployed for patrolling, rescue missions in case of avalanches and transporting rations to Border Out Posts (BOPs) in higher reaches.

According a senior official of ITBP, the vehicles which will be procured from abroad will be deployed at the frontiers in two to three months' time after completion of the ongoing field trials.

"At least 62 per cent of our posts are not connected by roads while more than 80 per cent are located above 9,000 feet. The all terrain vehicles would be ultra-light and can easily move on snow, land and shallow water.

"The vehicles can also be used to patrol certain small stretches and the seating capacity would be worked out after the finalisation of fitments and accessories in these vehicles," the official said.
Thought of sharing the same on China Watch, as its important as the ITBP plans to acquire ATV .. guess it will be a startegic and tactical asset to the force
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Great news...

Hope the trial stage doesn't take as long as our other deals else it will be another decade before they actually hit the ground...
SivaVijay
BRFite

Post by SivaVijay »

China-pak railways:encirclement?

Here is more worrying news....

I am an avid player of RTT and RTS games and from my experience(Don't know how much relevant , some gurus can advice :?: ) if we are encircling someone then that means a military action is pretty soon in the offing to cut that person to size. The only question that person should think of is where and when :( :( , even if the aggressive parties are diplomatically friendly...(I wish that I be proven wrong)

We shouldn't be caught napping again...
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

SivaVijay wrote:China-pak railways:encirclement?

Here is more worrying news....

I am an avid player of RTT and RTS games and from my experience(Don't know how much relevant , some gurus can advice :?: ) if we are encircling someone then that means a military action is pretty soon in the offing to cut that person to size. The only question that person should think of is where and when :( :( , even if the aggressive parties are diplomatically friendly...(I wish that I be proven wrong)

We shouldn't be caught napping again...
All that Pakistan is doing is converting a makeshift railway station to a permanent one with the assistance of China. Now who else except China will assist Pakis?
When India could not anything after the Parliament attacks, Mumbai attacks and scores of other such acts of open aggression from the Pakis why are so concerned with what they are doing inside their country. We need less paranoia and more concrete action on the ground to make changes. Compare the reaction of non-nuclear Iranis against Pakis and our leadership and stop jumping up and down like a langur on every Paki move.
SivaVijay
BRFite

Post by SivaVijay »

Amit,

My concern was not with regards to Pakistan. I am concerned about chinese intentions. They are already extending their influence in Nepal and with SL, Bangladesh, Myanmar already in the Kitty it just seems the encirclement is being completed. And when the predicted aggression(i.e. before 2017) does come true, i dont think all our joint exercise diplomacy is going to help(China is US's biggest creditor ). And with the west at a economic low we are vulnerable to a political as well as a militaristic aggression.

My concern is that AP should not become another Akshai-Chin .