China Military Watch

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
songfeihong
BRFite -Trainee

Re: China Military Watch

Post by songfeihong »

What a day!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

DavidD wrote:It didn't seem to use afterburner for take off. It's now circling the airfield :D
Well done. In fact when I was critical of that video - it was because I could not see any after burner. But that is only a curiosity. Afterburner is not needed for flight or take off anyway.

Need to se photos and videos or I will say you Chinese are lying! :P :lol:
prithvi

Post by prithvi »

DavidD wrote:It didn't seem to use afterburner for take off. It's now circling the airfield :D

Is there a live streaming ?
songfeihong
BRFite -Trainee

Post by songfeihong »

Landed at 13:08 local time.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

prithvi wrote:

Is there a live streaming ?
Nah, just live updates on some Chinese sites.

According to the updates, it made one pass pretty high over the airfield(and maybe some more afterwards). A J-10 is accompanying it, they're keeping good formation, flying very slowly. The J-10 has a recording pod, so it's probably filming it. The wings look pretty much like some of the drawings on the web, the planform looks to be quite a bit longer than the J-10. Landed after about 20 minutes, they lit some firecrackers to celebrate :lol:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

That is amazing ... the president flies in twice to see the first flight ... they put up firecrackers after first flight ... quite unprecedented I must say :).
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Waiting for photos and videos...
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

Here's a photo - could be fake but Wired magazine carried it.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/01 ... o-the-air/

Addendum: They got it from here http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fligh ... t-lie.html
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

amit wrote: And Chingos and their Paki admirers can have all the wet dreams they ever wanted to have.

Everybody is happy. Jai Hu!
And shankarullah will have to rewrite his 1st military scenario where that Pakistani grandkid of that exiled military ruler would kill a Su-30MKI with J20 instead of F22. And that general dude wouldnt have to sigh!

AoA onlee.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

amit wrote: And Chingos and their Paki admirers can have all the wet dreams they ever wanted to have.

Everybody is happy. Jai Hu!
And shankarullah will have to rewrite his 1st military scenario where that Pakistani grandkid of that exiled military ruler would kill a Su-30MKI with J20 instead of F22. And that general dude wouldnt have to sigh!

AoA onlee.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

shiv wrote:
Well done. In fact when I was critical of that video - it was because I could not see any after burner. But that is only a curiosity. Afterburner is not needed for flight or take off anyway.

Need to se photos and videos or I will say you Chinese are lying! :P :lol:
Thanks, and I think we'll see pics and very clear videos very soon!
indranilroy wrote:That is amazing ... the president flies in twice to see the first flight ... they put up firecrackers after first flight ... quite unprecedented I must say :).
Hah, I don't think it's an actual first flight. I doubt they'd be confident enough to invite the president over if that was the case.
Amitabh wrote:Here's a photo - could be fake but Wired magazine carried it.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/01 ... o-the-air/

Addendum: They got it from here http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fligh ... t-lie.html
It's a CG by Gaoshan, the most famous Chinese military CGer. He does do very good work....
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

First pics :)

Seems like domestic engine:

Last edited by DavidD on 11 Jan 2011 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Second fotu

*too late. already posted*

third fotu. its damn wide as compared to slim trim J10. Its internal weapon payload must be off the roof.

Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Reminds me of Saab Draken with canards.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

one more fotu

Last edited by Sid on 11 Jan 2011 11:01, edited 3 times in total.
heech
BRFite

Post by heech »

Very possible we'll be seeing footage on tonight's CCTV news broadcast (7 PM Beijing time)!
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Edit: sid's faster :p

Last edited by DavidD on 11 Jan 2011 11:04, edited 3 times in total.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

What I'm really impressed about this time around is the paucity of ps'ed pictures to make fun of unlike with the J-10.

Congratulations. Good luck with the Russian engines.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

One thing that I cannot translate form the pics is the engine nozzle shape!!

Its "W" shaped from bottom view, where as we can all see its rounded (on closeups) from the side view.

and here is the icing on cake
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

the telegraph published in the UK carries an interesting article on the Chinese Armed forces. it is instructive to read in full. i have posted excerpts from the article.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... power.html
China’s submarine fleet now boasts 65 vessels, and by 2030, according to the Kokoda Foundation, an Australian think tank, the total could rise to between 85 and 100, more than the US and enough to establish an edge in the Pacific. China has also integrated the skills of its military and civilian computer hackers, launched several reconnaissance and guidance satellites, and installed arrays of new radars and underwater sensors to ring its territory.

“There are a number of areas where the PLA has adopted approaches that differ significantly from the US’s approach,” said a Pentagon report to Congress last month. “Examples include the heavy reliance on ballistic and cruise missiles, rather than stealth aircraft, to attack ground targets inside heavily defended airspace; an array of systems to attack intelligence, communications and navigation satellites [and] an emphasis on offensive and defensive electronic warfare.”
The PLA does, however, have a long list of fundamental weaknesses that have been pointed out by critics both in China and abroad. Its biggest failing is that it cannot, yet, produce the reliable jet engines it needs for its fighters, having to rely on Russia. That relationship was strained, in 2004, when Moscow discovered that China had copied one of the jets it had advance-ordered and put it into production. “China’s army should not have to rely on others or have to buy its equipment,” said Liang Guanglie, the defence minister, despairingly.

Meanwhile, the PLA’s Jin-class nuclear submarine is said, by the US Office of Naval Intelligence, to be noisier than the submarines built by the Soviets 30 years ago. China’s fighter pilots are no match for US Top Guns. A shortage of foreign naval bases makes it difficult for China to maintain ships on long missions. Sailors who took part in exercises against Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden were reported to have run short of water and fresh food.

And perhaps most reassuringly, the new Dong Feng “carrier killer” missile is impaired by China’s undeveloped missile guidance system. While Beijing can launch the deadly missile, it is not clear it can actually hit a ship. Since US satellites would detect the missile upon launch, an aircraft carrier would have enough warning to move several miles out of the way.

For now, Beijing wields enough power to keep the US in check in the Pacific and to discourage Taiwan from relying too heavily on American support. In the future, the Pentagon believes that the PLA could extend further into the Pacific, using its fleet to control shipping lines and oil concessions. The “pace and scale” of the PLA’s modernisation has been “broad and sweeping”, the Pentagon said. But, for now, China’s modern army “remains untested”.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

RamaY wrote: And shankarullah will have to rewrite his 1st military scenario where that Pakistani grandkid of that exiled military ruler would kill a Su-30MKI with J20 instead of F22. And that general dude wouldnt have to sigh!

AoA onlee.
Get the facts right! I wrote that!!
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

Chinese stealth fighter makes first test flight
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110111/ap_ ... th_fighter
BEIJING – A leading expert on the Chinese military says the country's prototype stealth fighter has made its first-known test flight.

Kanwa Asian Defense magazine editor Andrei Chang said the J-20 flew for about 15 minutes over an airfield in the southwestern city of Chengdu where it was spotted carrying out runway tests last week. Photos of the plane in flight were also posted on unofficial Chinese military websites.

The test flight comes on the second day of a visit to China by U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates. Chang and other analysts say the test's timing is apparently intended to send the message that Beijing is responding to calls from the U.S. and others to be more transparent about its defense modernization and future intentions.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the ungainly undercarriage door is the only sore spot in looks dept...else it looks nice black and menacing like a SR71 blackbirds brother of sorts.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

Two new pics of J20:

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

One must take one's hat off to the PRC and its single-mindedness of purpose.While we have just cleared our LCA of 4th-gen cpability-that too which will only get final clearance in service in 2013,China has tested its 5th-gen stealth fighter for the first time.We are at least a decade behind the PRC in terms of designing and building one's own aircraft,but are trying hard to close the gap/leapfrogging into the rarified atmosphere of stealth with the JV with Russia for the 5th-gen fighter,already being tested.This should enable us to put into service our 5th-gen stealth fighter first,followed in due course by the AMCA,ambitions which now seems to parallel the US's approach which has two stealth fighters for the future,the F-22 Raptor and the JSF.
The main challenge for the IAF will be the rapid induction of new PRC fighters into the PAF,as China can build aircraft far faster than we can-the LCA's production being only "10 a year",as mentioned officially yesterday.