Indian Naval Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 05 May 2009 04:49

Yes I noticed that. But lets not go down that road again. That issue has been beaten like a dead horse!

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 05 May 2009 06:05

Just added a new section in the Indian Navy Gallery - Greet & Meet. Enjoy!

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... ews/Greet/

P.S. Take note of the Nepalese Army Chief. He is the reason why Nepal's Prime Minister has just resigned. Check the news.

Gaurav_S
BRFite
Posts: 786
Joined: 16 Mar 2006 15:40
Location: Out on other planet
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Gaurav_S » 05 May 2009 07:46

Rakesh, the collection looks more richer now with new photos. I dont know if you have noticed that camera kind of thing hung on Lt. Com Hemanth Gopal. If its camera then IN must have took photos but didnt bother publishing.

Tanaji
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3241
Joined: 21 Jun 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Tanaji » 05 May 2009 21:51

A marathi newspaper is reporting that the Akula - Nerpa lease deal is in trouble because the Russians are now demanding Rs. 1000 crores for the lease

FWIW!

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 23312
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Austin » 05 May 2009 23:19

Tanaji wrote:A marathi newspaper is reporting that the Akula - Nerpa lease deal is in trouble because the Russians are now demanding Rs. 1000 crores for the lease

FWIW!


Well drop the lease and get the paid money if any from them

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 06 May 2009 06:36

gauravsurati wrote:Rakesh, the collection looks more richer now with new photos. I dont know if you have noticed that camera kind of thing hung on Lt. Com Hemanth Gopal. If its camera then IN must have took photos but didnt bother publishing.


You are right. The album is indeed more richer now. Thanks for posting the pics! I just added one more pic in there, put in two articles and updated the ORBAT for Malabar '09. Check it out at;

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 9/Malabar/

P.S. I did not notice that camera, but you are right.

AmitR
BRFite
Posts: 322
Joined: 25 Jan 2009 17:13

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby AmitR » 06 May 2009 09:47

Austin wrote:
Tanaji wrote:A marathi newspaper is reporting that the Akula - Nerpa lease deal is in trouble because the Russians are now demanding Rs. 1000 crores for the lease

FWIW!


Well drop the lease and get the paid money if any from them


Has it ever occurred to you guys that maybe it's not the Russians but the Indians who may be doing all this. More money in this deal may mean that more money in someone's pocket.

negi
BRF Oldie
Posts: 13098
Joined: 27 Jul 2006 17:51
Location: Ban se dar nahin lagta , chootiyon se lagta hai .

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby negi » 06 May 2009 09:58

^ Wallah... joo are awarded the coveted Zaid Hamid tin foil topi :lol:

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 19935
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Philip » 06 May 2009 19:24

OT post deleted.
Last edited by Rahul M on 07 May 2009 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited OT post.

Vivs
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 22
Joined: 10 Feb 2009 20:44

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Vivs » 07 May 2009 21:51

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... ded--bi-08

This is a report on Pakistan's 'conquest' of the Arabian Sea. Other than the fact that it does affect us, any deep thoughts on the strategic implications? Hope the Indian government is keeping its eyes and ears open while the elections are on.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 19479
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby chetak » 07 May 2009 23:06

Vivs wrote:http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/pakistan/12-pakistans-sea-limits-set-to-be-extended--bi-08

This is a report on Pakistan's 'conquest' of the Arabian Sea. Other than the fact that it does affect us, any deep thoughts on the strategic implications? Hope the Indian government is keeping its eyes and ears open while the elections are on.



Did anyone understand the 'conquest' part?

May be they are hoping to resettle the taliban there

SivaVijay
BRFite
Posts: 136
Joined: 09 Apr 2009 19:23

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby SivaVijay » 07 May 2009 23:48

This is a report on Pakistan's 'conquest' of the Arabian Sea. Other than the fact that it does affect us, any deep thoughts on the strategic implications? Hope the Indian government is keeping its eyes and ears open while the elections are on.
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... ded--bi-08



One risk is that they can now legitimately come closer to our shipping lanes through which our oil transit. This may allow them do sea denial with their Agostas. Agostas are silent enough(though not as much as kilos) to be a menace in sea denial role.

JaiS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2190
Joined: 01 Mar 2003 12:31
Location: JPEG-jingostan
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby JaiS » 08 May 2009 05:01


arun
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10248
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby arun » 09 May 2009 16:07

Goa Shipyard jet boat for Gujarat Marine Police

HERALD REPORTER
PANJIM, MAY 7

The Gujarat Marine Police ………. has finally got a 12-tonne Interceptor Security Vessel, from Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL). The state-of-the-art 13-metre speedboat is on a trailer bound for Mundra Port in Kutch…………..

Designed in Greece, it can reach a top speed of 39 nautical miles (70 kmph). Its cabin is bullet-proof and the boat has a jet propulsion …………..

The boat has a range of 75 nautical miles, and can cover a further 25 nautical miles with reserve fuel. It will be armed with a fixed light machine gun pod, apart from the weapons of the 20-member crew.

Herald


This seems to be the first 12 tonne interceptor boat out of a March 29, 2008 contract for 110 between GSL, GRSE and the Ministry of Home Affairs:

Boats for coastal patrolling by the coastal police stations are being procured centrally by the Ministry of Home Affairs. ………..

The price negotiations for the boats have been finalized. The procurement of 84 Nos. of 5 Ton boats each costing Rs. 105 lakhs and 110 Nos of 12 Ton boats each costing Rs. 215 lakhs at a total cost of Rs. 324.70 crore from M/s Goa Shipyard Ltd. (GSL), Goa and M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd. (GRSE), Kolkata has been approved on 12.2.2008. The contract has been signed between Ministry of Home Affairs and the two vendors on 29.3.2008. An advance payment of 15% i.e. Rs.48.71 crores has been paid to the two vendors. The supply of boats is expected to commence in early 2009.

Coastal Security


A lot of 3 of the 84 contracted 5 Tonne Interceptor Boats were delivered on April 28, 2009:

GSL delivers first batch of Interceptor Boats to CS police

:?: Can some kind soul confirm or otherwise that the :?: :

A.. 12 Tonne Interceptor Boat is the Motomarine Hurricane 110 RIB …… CLICK

B.. 5 Tonne Interceptor Boat is the Motomarine Invader Magna 960 RIB ……. CLICK

TIA.

Gaurav_S
BRFite
Posts: 786
Joined: 16 Mar 2006 15:40
Location: Out on other planet
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Gaurav_S » 09 May 2009 16:22

Arun, there has been post on this in Mumbai terror attack news stories and timeline thread in Intl Rel forum.

maz
Webmaster BR
Posts: 336
Joined: 03 Dec 2000 12:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby maz » 09 May 2009 20:23

from Zee News: http://www.zeenews.com/news530381.html

Navy chief downplays Chinese presence in Indian waters

"Navies are meant to operate far from coasts. We too have been in the South China sea for the past two months, and by this month end we are sending our Western Fleet to operate in the Mediterranean and the North Sea."

maz
Webmaster BR
Posts: 336
Joined: 03 Dec 2000 12:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby maz » 09 May 2009 20:33

arun wrote:
Goa Shipyard jet boat for Gujarat Marine Police

HERALD REPORTER
PANJIM, MAY 7

The Gujarat Marine Police ………. has finally got a 12-tonne Interceptor Security Vessel, from Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL). The state-of-the-art 13-metre speedboat is on a trailer bound for Mundra Port in Kutch…………..

Designed in Greece, it can reach a top speed of 39 nautical miles (70 kmph). Its cabin is bullet-proof and the boat has a jet propulsion …………..

The boat has a range of 75 nautical miles, and can cover a further 25 nautical miles with reserve fuel. It will be armed with a fixed light machine gun pod, apart from the weapons of the 20-member crew.

Herald


This seems to be the first 12 tonne interceptor boat out of a March 29, 2008 contract for 110 between GSL, GRSE and the Ministry of Home Affairs:

Boats for coastal patrolling by the coastal police stations are being procured centrally by the Ministry of Home Affairs. ………..

The price negotiations for the boats have been finalized. The procurement of 84 Nos. of 5 Ton boats each costing Rs. 105 lakhs and 110 Nos of 12 Ton boats each costing Rs. 215 lakhs at a total cost of Rs. 324.70 crore from M/s Goa Shipyard Ltd. (GSL), Goa and M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd. (GRSE), Kolkata has been approved on 12.2.2008. The contract has been signed between Ministry of Home Affairs and the two vendors on 29.3.2008. An advance payment of 15% i.e. Rs.48.71 crores has been paid to the two vendors. The supply of boats is expected to commence in early 2009.

Coastal Security


A lot of 3 of the 84 contracted 5 Tonne Interceptor Boats were delivered on April 28, 2009:

GSL delivers first batch of Interceptor Boats to CS police

:?: Can some kind soul confirm or otherwise that the :?: :

A.. 12 Tonne Interceptor Boat is the Motomarine Hurricane 110 RIB …… CLICK

B.. 5 Tonne Interceptor Boat is the Motomarine Invader Magna 960 RIB ……. CLICK

TIA.


The MHA boats are indeed designed by MOTOMARINE but they are not the ones you have listed. Rather, they are:
http://www.grse.nic.in/MHA-BOAT5T.htm
and
http://www.grse.nic.in/MHA-BOAT12T.htm

JaiS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2190
Joined: 01 Mar 2003 12:31
Location: JPEG-jingostan
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby JaiS » 09 May 2009 21:09

Goa's Naval Academy Says Final Good Bye

Fleeing LTTE cadre could enter India: Navy chief

Sailor missing still remains a mystery: Vice Admiral Damle

and from,

IMDEX Set To Begin in Singapore

Changi Naval Base will host 19 ships from around the world, including Australia, Bangladesh, Brazil, France, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Conference organizers are expecting 400-500 participants. Military speakers include Adm. Gary Roughead, U.S. chief of naval operations; Adm. Sir Jonathon Band, U.K. First Sea Lord and chief of Naval Staff; and Vice Adm. Nirmal Verma, commander in chief, Eastern Naval Command, Indian Navy.

arun
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10248
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby arun » 10 May 2009 07:27

Maz, thanks for your post on the MHA Interceptor Boats suggesting that they have been purpose designed for GSL/GRSE by Motomarine.

Gaurav, thanks for the effort.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 10 May 2009 07:50

Arun: I never heard back from you on this...please see below....

arun wrote:Rakesh,

The Type-16 Godavari Class frigates will be retrofitted with a BEL license built Thales Nederland LW-08 radar.

Please see this July 02, 2008 press release put out by Thales:

Bharat Electronics Ltd. awards LW08 contract to Thales

02 July 2008

In April 2008 Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) awarded another contract for the Thales LW08 long range volume search radar to Thales Nederland.

This contract arranges the delivery of components of three LW08 systems that will be installed on the Godavari class frigates. The radars will be built by the Indian company Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) under a licence agreement with Thales, using Thales-supplied components. The first system will be delivered by the end of 2009. ……………

Thales


My reply to your post above:

arun wrote:The Type-16 Godavari Class frigates will be retrofitted with a BEL license built Thales Nederland LW-08 radar.


Which radar aboard the Godavari Class is the LW-08 replacing?

arun
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10248
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby arun » 10 May 2009 09:53

Sorry about that Rakesh.

I have no clue as to what radar is being replaced by the LW-08 on the Godavari Class.

Perhaps one of the clued on BRFites can look at the list of present radars on board and figure out the radar likely being replaced :?: .

Kersi D
BRFite
Posts: 1383
Joined: 20 Sep 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Kersi D » 10 May 2009 14:21

arun wrote:Sorry about that Rakesh.

I have no clue as to what radar is being replaced by the LW-08 on the Godavari Class.

Perhaps one of the clued on BRFites can look at the list of present radars on board and figure out the radar likely being replaced :?: .


Could be the RALW 02

K

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 23312
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Austin » 10 May 2009 15:01

The Godavari class has the BEL built RAWL-08 , may be Thales is providing a latest mod of LW 08 and BEL would be assembling the components and integrating it on Godavari.

Just as a thought why is that we dont opt for a metric band radar as Volume Search LR radar , they may be huge , but against a low RCS target they would present the best bet for early detection , track and warning.

With centimetric radar like Elta 2248 warned in advanced of low RCS target , they can get the power management of AESA do the trick.

maz
Webmaster BR
Posts: 336
Joined: 03 Dec 2000 12:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby maz » 10 May 2009 22:58

Further updates on the MHA boats:
The 5T boats are based on the Invader model while the 12T model is based on the Hellraiser model http://www.motomarine.gr/military/products34.html


Gaur
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2009
Joined: 01 Feb 2009 23:19

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Gaur » 11 May 2009 00:37

Can anyone confirm whether the soldiers in the Malabar 2009 album in black overalls album are MARCOS or not?

ADDED LATER: I got the answer from pictures thread. Apparently they are regular sailors on VBSS duty.

tsarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2722
Joined: 08 May 2006 13:44
Location: mumbai

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tsarkar » 11 May 2009 11:41

Godavari earlier used RAWL (only RAWL, no suffix) that was based on Signaal LW-04.

From http://www.thalesgroup.com/netherlands/ ... ALES&dis=1

“In the past, BEL has built under a licence contract the Thales systems … LW04 … naval radars”

DA-08 and LW-08 were selected for Brahmaputra and LW-08 was repeated on Delhi (B build started before D though launched later).

Reasonably accurate history of LW-08 at http://www.forecastinternational.com/Ar ... rs5924.doc though it confuses between RAWL and RAWL-02. Note its combat performance in British service during the Gulf War

Recently LW-08 is re-equipping the Godavari and last three R’s. From Maz’s post, http://www.c7f.navy.mil/imagery/high-re ... 1W-142.jpg shows Ranvir with LW-08 replacing MR-500 Kliver, also L-Band. Roel had earlier posted Ranjit’s pictures with LW-08.

Full history of Godavari at http://indiannavy.nic.in/t2t2e/trans2em ... ect_16.htm

vavinash
BRFite
Posts: 556
Joined: 27 Sep 2008 22:06

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby vavinash » 11 May 2009 18:45

I notice that ranvir's rear SA-3 launchers are gone. It should have 8 brahmos in their place but why are the inclined SS-N-2b's still in place?

SNaik
BRFite
Posts: 507
Joined: 26 Jul 2006 10:51
Location: Riga

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby SNaik » 11 May 2009 22:34

General manager of Amur shipyard has acknowledged today to the Interfax news agency that Nerpa has been repaired and will be handed over to India by the end of 2009.

Putin is currently visiting Komsomolsk-na-Amure, BTW. Nice coincidence ;)
FAIW

tripathi
BRFite
Posts: 168
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 12:35

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby tripathi » 11 May 2009 22:52

Last edited by tripathi on 11 May 2009 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

vipins
BRFite
Posts: 444
Joined: 12 Jun 2008 17:46

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby vipins » 11 May 2009 23:08


NRao
BRF Oldie
Posts: 16284
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Illini Nation

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby NRao » 12 May 2009 05:22

Former Naval Chief Admiral S M Nanda passes away

New Delhi, May 11 (PTI) Former naval chief Admiral S M Nanda, a veteran of the 1971 Indo-Pak war, died this evening in the national capital.
93-year-old Nanda, a Padma Vibhushan award winner, was admitted to a city-based hospital this morning and breathed his last around 11 pm. He is survived by his two sons and wife besides grandchildren, family sources told PTI.

Nanda was admitted to Fortis, Vasant Kunj with complaints of fever and breathlessness, Navneet Singh, a physician of the hospital who treated the former navy chief, said.

Nanda, who was awarded the Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM) and the Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM) for his distinguished service, was appointed the Chief of Naval Staff on March 1, 1970. He retired in 1973.

His legendary command of the navy during the 1971 Indo-Pak war and his success in steering it to a resounding victory is the high-water mark of the modern Indian Navy.

The funeral will take place tomorrow with full military honours at Brar Square Crematorium here at 1600 hrs. PTI

Vick
BRFite
Posts: 753
Joined: 14 Oct 1999 11:31

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Vick » 12 May 2009 05:43

From DN
May 11, 2009
Navantia Vies for Indian Shipbuilding Work

By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI

NEW DELHI — Navantia is pulling hard to persuade India to allow the Spanish shipbuilder to help meet the Indian Navy’s $4 billion order for seven Project 17 stealth frigates, expected this year, said an Indian Navy official.

India’s state-owned Mumbaibased Mazagon Dock Ltd. (MDL) and Kolkatta-based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) are the front-runners.

The program calls for the Indian winner to work with an overseas shipyard: The first two frigates will be built overseas, and the remaining five in India, the Navy official said.

Navantia and MDL officials are talking about building stealth warships and submarines, and the Spanish yard has offered to upgrade MDL’s shipbuilding facilities, said Navantia President Juan Pe dro Gomez.

Gomez said that Navantia is offering to help build:

■ Spanish S-80 submarines, which can target ships, subs and shore targets; land special forces or evacuate civilians; gather intelligence; lay mines; and more.

■ F-100 air defense frigates, which use U.S. Aegis weapons technology to track hundreds of airborne targets, protect ships and support expeditionary forces.

■ MDL F-310 class frigates, which also carry Aegis gear.

India’s new frigates will carry the Barak-2 air defense system, the Indo-Russian BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, advanced light helicopters, anti-submarine helicopters, rotary-wing UAVs, three-dimensional multi-mode surveillance radar, and new-generation weapon and navigational control systems.

They will be India’s first frigates to be directly connected with a dedicated military satellite.

“We are meeting with many Indian shipyards for future programs. MDL is perfect for the destroyer program and for future submarine programs. A Navantia team is arriving to India in a couple of days with this goal in mind,” said Miguel A. Martínez Guerrero, Navantia communication director.

Navantia is also in discussion with Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited to build a 13,000-ton Landing Platform Dock. This ship will have a flight deck for three helicopters and hangars for six helicopters, and be able to carry 600 troops along with 21 heavy vehicles or 14 tanks, plus 40 light vehicles. This vessel can remain at sea for 30 days.

Currently, batch designers from Navantia are building design blocks for Indian Scorpene subs at its facilities in Spain. After two years, a batch of Spanish engineers will be deployed at MDL facilities to oversee the Scorpene production. Navantia is a 50 percent partner along with DCNS of France in the Scorpene project.

Anil Kapoor, country manager of Navantia, said the company will be carrying out detailed surveys of major shipyards in India, for possible collaboration on a variety of shipbuilding programs.


Indian Navy To Bolster Air Fleet Recon Ability

By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI NEW DELHI — The Indian Navy has relaunched its search for medium-range maritime reconnaissance [MRMR] aircraft, a $400 million effort that follows a canceled tender begun in 2007.

India has floated a request for information (RFI) for six aircraft with defense companies in Europe, including Russia, and the United States. A request for proposals (RFP) will be issued based on responses to the RFI, a senior Indian Defence Ministry official said.

The RFI is being issued first to ensure the tender will be in consonance with what the companies are selling, the official added.

The Indian Navy needs the MRMR aircraft to sharpen its surveillance capabilities along its long coastline. Terrorists breached the surveillance cover last year, resulting in the Nov. 26 terror attacks at Mumbai. In January, the Navy ordered eight P8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft from Boeing for $2.1 billion.

In 2007, the Navy had issued RFPs to Embraer, Brazil; Bombardier Aerospace, Canada; Dassault, France; Dornier, Germany; Alenia Aeronautica, Italy; CASA, Spain; Antonov, Ukraine; and Gulfstream Aerospace, United States. That competition was canceled because none of the compa nies filed their technical bids.

The MRMR would primarily be used by the Indian Navy for maritime patrol, anti-surface warfare, electronic signals intelligence, electronic surveillance measures and communications intelligence, said a Navy official. The aircraft would be used in all weather conditions, day and night, the official said. The Navy is considering procuring an MRMR aircraft able to serve for at least 25 years. The aircraft should be armed with at least two anti-ship missiles, and be capable of patrolling at a height of 3,0005,000 feet and at a range of 400 nautical miles from the base in multimission configuration.

The six MRMR aircraft will replace the Navy’s Islanders, built by Britten Norman, which have been used for coastal surveillance for decades. At present, the Navy operates about 12 Islanders but they are on the verge of being phased out. Once inducted, the MRMR aircraft will be mainly used to strengthen the Navy’s intelligence and surveillance capabilities, the Navy official said.

For its long-range maritime reconnaissance needs, the Indian Navy uses the Russian IL-38 and TU-142, the Dornier 228, and UAVs from Israel. All eight P8I aircraft delivered by 2015.

sum
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9923
Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby sum » 12 May 2009 09:32

In 2007, the Navy had issued RFPs to Embraer, Brazil; Bombardier Aerospace, Canada; Dassault, France; Dornier, Germany; Alenia Aeronautica, Italy; CASA, Spain; Antonov, Ukraine; and Gulfstream Aerospace, United States. That competition was canceled because none of the compa nies filed their technical bids.

Why did this happen and how is the the IN sure it wont repeat again?

AnimeshP
BRFite
Posts: 514
Joined: 01 Dec 2008 07:39

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby AnimeshP » 12 May 2009 22:07

NRao wrote:Former Naval Chief Admiral S M Nanda passes away

New Delhi, May 11 (PTI) Former naval chief Admiral S M Nanda, a veteran of the 1971 Indo-Pak war, died this evening in the national capital.
93-year-old Nanda, a Padma Vibhushan award winner, was admitted to a city-based hospital this morning and breathed his last around 11 pm. He is survived by his two sons and wife besides grandchildren, family sources told PTI.

Nanda was admitted to Fortis, Vasant Kunj with complaints of fever and breathlessness, Navneet Singh, a physician of the hospital who treated the former navy chief, said.

Nanda, who was awarded the Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM) and the Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM) for his distinguished service, was appointed the Chief of Naval Staff on March 1, 1970. He retired in 1973.

His legendary command of the navy during the 1971 Indo-Pak war and his success in steering it to a resounding victory is the high-water mark of the modern Indian Navy.

The funeral will take place tomorrow with full military honours at Brar Square Crematorium here at 1600 hrs. PTI


Bhagwaan unki aatma ko shanti de ...

pkudva
BRFite
Posts: 159
Joined: 23 Jul 2008 13:57

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby pkudva » 12 May 2009 22:16

In between the naval discussion, i see no one is talking about the ATV programme. Any news as it was supposed to be commissioned in Apr/May-09.

KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew
Posts: 1290
Joined: 25 Nov 2008 20:43
Location: Land of Trala-la

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby KrishG » 13 May 2009 01:47

Lockheed Martin says open to Indian parts in Aegis

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ijdU2ot91RHDt4To2hX84zkchQWQ

"Because of the way the Aegis combat system is constructed, there is the ability to put specific indigenous capabilities in portions of it," Ric Rushton, director for sea-based missile defence at the firm, told AFP late Monday.

He said the system is built on the principle of "open architecture", allowing countries buying it to use parts made at home, in the same way Japan and South Korea did.

Those countries, the two top US allies in Asia, have naval destroyers equipped with Lockheed's high-tech Aegis system, which is designed to track incoming missiles and shoot them down.


"A similar model could work in India if that's what they are interested in," said Rushton, who was in Singapore for the IMDEX Asia 2009 maritime defence show, which opened Tuesday.

Rushton said no decision had been made by India.

"It's their timeline. I think they are looking to make a decision sometime this year," he said.

"I'm very optimistic about it. I think there is a solid operational requirement on the part of the Indian navy, they need this kind of capability."


I think LM is trying desperately to woo the Indian Navy into buying the AEGIS and to stop DRDO in it's tracks from developing a similar if not more capable system using our own network of equipments and Missile Defence.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 13 May 2009 09:01

The following galleries have been updated with new images;

Malabar 2009 (just one image added in here)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 9/Malabar/

Pacific Partnership 2008 (five images added)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 8/Pacific/

Malabar 2008 (three images added)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 8/Malabar/

Pacific Partnership 2007 (I will be adding a lot more images in this gallery tomorrow...but just one in there for now)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 7/Pacific/

Malabar 2006 (just one image added in here)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 6/Malabar/

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3145
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby kit » 13 May 2009 10:20

KrishG wrote:Lockheed Martin says open to Indian parts in Aegis

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ijdU2ot91RHDt4To2hX84zkchQWQ

"Because of the way the Aegis combat system is constructed, there is the ability to put specific indigenous capabilities in portions of it," Ric Rushton, director for sea-based missile defence at the firm, told AFP late Monday.

He said the system is built on the principle of "open architecture", allowing countries buying it to use parts made at home, in the same way Japan and South Korea did.

Those countries, the two top US allies in Asia, have naval destroyers equipped with Lockheed's high-tech Aegis system, which is designed to track incoming missiles and shoot them down.


"A similar model could work in India if that's what they are interested in," said Rushton, who was in Singapore for the IMDEX Asia 2009 maritime defence show, which opened Tuesday.

Rushton said no decision had been made by India.

"It's their timeline. I think they are looking to make a decision sometime this year," he said.

"I'm very optimistic about it. I think there is a solid operational requirement on the part of the Indian navy, they need this kind of capability."


I think LM is trying desperately to woo the Indian Navy into buying the AEGIS and to stop DRDO in it's tracks from developing a similar if not more capable system using our own network of equipments and Missile Defence.


The reason is USN has a more capable system [ x posting ]

Dual-band radar

The AN/SPY-3 radar will send and receive S-band (high altitude large airspace) and X-band (high altitude near airspace) signals with a common-phase conformal array on the deckhouse. Each band will have its own signal processors, with the returns combined by the display sensor manager.This system is thought to provide high detection and excellent anti-jamming capabilities. But at least one report by Congress' investigative arm, the GAO, raises concerns that it is too much of a technology leap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt_class_destroyer

and of course it will stop IN from fielding its own missile defence system since costwise it wont be able to go for both systems.

vavinash
BRFite
Posts: 556
Joined: 27 Sep 2008 22:06

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Postby vavinash » 13 May 2009 11:29

Can't see IN going for it. How will they integrate Barak-8/brahmos with AEGIS without source codes.


Return to “Trash Can Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests