India Nuclear News And Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Theo_Fidel

Re: India Nuclear News And Discussion

Post by Theo_Fidel »

After Bhaba croaked no more thinking allowed. Furious doing allowed onlee...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Theo_Fidel wrote:After Bhaba croaked ...
I know you hate nuclear energy and everything, but a wee bit more respect for the father of our Atomic Energy program would be nice. Or have I erred by asking too much?
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

Yup, if Bhabha hadn't "croaked" he was a shoo-in for a Puruskar-e-Nobel. He brought India fame and progress. This is how we thank him?

The trolling has gotten out of hand.

Is nuke dhagaa intended for discussing nuke stuff or dissing nuke stuff? It seems like this thread spends all its time and energy on countering every newborn anti-nuke activist.

Also, it seems that everyone is tired of typing, so at this point even egregious claims do not get countered. We just heard that we don't need the 3-stage program because breeding Pu is sufficient.

Where does one start with this?
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Apologies if I insulted anyone. But he is just a man and not a god and not beyond questioning. We don't have to follow his quixotic dream if it is not working.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

My two cents on the thorium reactor bit...The 3 stage programme, culminating in the thorium reactor, is our, in Tom Friedman's words, moonshot. All large aspiring countries have their moonshots - the US had the space programme in the '50s as their moonshot.The Chinese have a few moonshots - from splurging on grand scale infra to going for the moon itself...We need to have a few ourselves...By definition, some of these moonshots wont succeed, or wont succeed in 10 years, or wont be commercially viable..But the spinoffs (in economist lingo, positive network externality) will be there for the rest of the economy/country...And some will, eventually succeed...

If we can crack the puzzle, which to my untrained mind, seems more an engineering one rather than science, we would have created something unique...EVeryone else has given it up? Brilliant! Which means our success will have no competitors!

While we work on our nuke moonshot there is also a "here and now" problem of meeting power demand for an economy growing @ 8%...Not sure if someone noticed this news..
http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ts/441313/

This is shortage for existing, running capacity...Now imagine the 175k MW planned to be setup in the next 5 years..Also imagine how Coal India is scouting for coal assets in Indonesia and Australia for supplies, and not in Jharia anymore...

Commercially viable nuke energy is part of the solutions "mix"...Hence, LWRs, foreign tech et al..
Of course, we have gone through this before, as GP says, we seem to discuss "anti nuke" platforms more than nuke developments! :twisted:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

First HB "croaked" and now his ideas are "quixotic"?

Wah wah, sabhaash Theoji. Quixotic enough to establish TIFR and thinking about nuclear energy.
Now I suggest you STFU since you've got both feet in your mouth.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

Anil Kakodkar on the ENR affair..

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/ar ... epage=true

Encapsulates it well at the end..
We however need to exercise caution and due diligence at every specific step as we negotiate the establishment of nuclear power plants with France, Russia, the U.S., and possibly others and as we do so, also press for adherence to the letter and spirit of our understandings.
Pretty much similar to what C Raja Mhoan (and a day before him, your truly :wink: ) said - the matter needed to be dealt with bilaterally with individual countries...
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

The unified field theory was Einstein's dream . Many scientists thought against the possibility of the unification of the 4 forces , believing it to be far -fetched . But a person with decent science education might disagree with fellow scientists and and may have a sound basis for doing so . But never would there be pejorative utterances . Call Einstein quixotic in Israel and see if you can return alive. The odds are equivalent to praising Hitler and returning alive .

One of the reason , why Indian contribution to modern science albeit sizeable is far below potential . We loathe ourselves. We can productively discuss nuclear science from a scientific view point . I request diatribes by the anti-nuclear lobby to be ignored.

PS -1) Adminullahs if you are still lurking around on this thread , some references to the the luminary who quantified electron positron scattering process (on whom the process is eponymous ) are disrespectful and need to be deleted . Please do the honors .

2)Please stick to a scientific line of discussion . Their are several anti-nuclear forums around the web that cater to needs of those who do not like the use of the 2 of the 4 fundamental forces in nature for energy generation . And in those pages you might get away saying bohrs kafir , fermi kafir , openheimer super kaafir etc.

3)The thorium pathway is not worth investing just because Bhabha said so . There are very scientific reasons for doing so . The challenges are related to engineering . And sooner or later they will be overcome. our thorium reactors a generating energy to the grid even today . (look @ page 4 of the iaea document i posted above)
Last edited by gakakkad on 04 Jul 2011 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

^^^ good post gakkakad,

This is getting quite pointless on this dhagaa. I will just say that I know Anil K., Srikumar, etc personally and it was bad enough seeing them disparaged in a forum which is Bharat Rakshak. I would have thought that better sense would prevail in respecting these giants who have given their all to India.

But, now even Bhabha is fair game. What exactly is the point of this forum?

What gives johnnies-come-lately the right to use such language? Sure they can do it on thousands of other forums populated by idiots, but on BRF?

Anyway, there is a move afoot to ban me in another dhagaa, so I will be out soon anyway. Just thought that I will get this one last post in before the soosai event :)

Cheers.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/ar ... epage=true There is also the question of NSG membership in the air. It would be strange if India were to become a member of a group that denies us cooperation on the basis of the NPT.

We live in an interdependent world where the terms of engagement depend upon how strong and capable you are. We have an ongoing mission to expand the share of nuclear energy in our energy mix to meet our rapidly growing energy needs and to reduce carbon intensity in our energy production. With the framework for international civil nuclear cooperation and the key provisions that are already in place, we can accelerate that process keeping our strategic interests intact. We however need to exercise caution and due diligence at every specific step as we negotiate the establishment of nuclear power plants with France, Russia, the U.S., and possibly others and as we do so, also press for adherence to the letter and spirit of our understandings.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

gakakkad wrote:
One of the reason , why Indian contribution to modern science albeit sizeable is far below potential . We loathe ourselves.
:D Well said.

When some other country does something that no one else is doing - it is "pioneering". When India does it, it is stupidity. When we call Indians traitors or surrender monkeys there is a big cheer of approval from someone or the other. But say one word questioning the appropriateness of efficacy of Chinese technology and you will be warned not to take China lightly.

This is Indianness for you. If you want to discuss something seriously - just say it and ignore the others who will never ever stop whining, flailing and complaining. The only reason why anything works in India is because people put their heads down and work despite constant criticism and caterwauls of self loathing and self flagellation . Of course everyone is "well meaning". Everyone is "on your side". But if you listen to well meaning Indians telling you what they think your only choice will be to shoot yourself in the head.

India is hardly a great country. but it survives and it survives in its own way - with its own people constantly complaining that "India was great but it's not great now because of blah blah blah"

I think this thread with 150 odd pages should be locked and a new one started. Even vegetarian surrender monkey Indians will not bother looking through the first 100 pages to see who farted what on what date.

Let me cast the first stone

IB4TL
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Two 700MW nuclear reactors planned at Kaiga:

Kaiga to get two more n-reactors
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

There is another more recent avatar of this thread at:
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=1&t=6005
Can this thread be locked? (and possibly merge the important last few posts from here to the other thread) TIA.