MRCA News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Post by Singha »

relax. the ambi was just trying to soothe his hosts. he wont be privy to the IAF assessment reports. afaik rafale, gripen and ef are still to be field tested in india while f16 and f18 are done. I have a feeling the french will pull out, citing monetary lack of resources to fly in a pair to india.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you see, the khans won't pit raptor against rafale/ef2k.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Poor chaps from EF consortium don't know what they are up against :mrgreen: ; the ones who will be patient enough to bare with the MoD's shenanigans will have the last laugh for they are gonna make a lot more money than expected , cost overruns ,drafting goof ups and other abstract areas like ToT and stuff will be used to milk the GOI .
CAG as usual will come out with a report a few years later complaining about crores wasted due to obvious reasons.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^^ is it not this is exactly we want to avoid every time we draft newer requirements and push for RFIs. RTI act must be enacted to know the details of past order, for the current RFI, so that we don't repeat mistakes.

I hope we don't mess up our ToT details, schedule, delivery plan and life cycle cost, in clear texts.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Singha wrote:relax. the ambi was just trying to soothe his hosts. he wont be privy to the IAF assessment reports. afaik rafale, gripen and ef are still to be field tested in india while f16 and f18 are done. I have a feeling the french will pull out, citing monetary lack of resources to fly in a pair to india.
I think the rafales were sighted some time ago in India.. So may not pull out...
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Rafale certainly did its dance in the skies over b'lore, Jaisalmer and Leh circa october, so did the fulcrum.

Btw, credits to Arthuro (who I think posts here and at AFM)
Some analysts still believe that Boeing is in the lead for the MRCA, it better be with EPE engines :evil:

http://iagblog.podomatic.com/player/web ... 2_44-08_00

Could have some merit, considering the somewhat lackadaisical approach taken by the russkis and the baksheesh given via extra 29ks and probly MKIs as well.

I think the final shootout will be between the Rafale/EF2K and the Shornet OR Gripen Vs. Solah.

CM.
Last edited by Cain Marko on 23 Jan 2010 02:14, edited 2 times in total.
johnny_m
BRFite

Post by johnny_m »

you see, the khans won't pit raptor against rafale/ef2k.
Actually they have and Rafale guys were happy they were only beaten once out of six engagements (they never beat raptor however)

EF2K is a bit more murky but we have EF exchange pilots flying the Raptor and saying nothing comes close to it.
MarcH
BRFite

Post by MarcH »

@Kartik; I disagree with some parts of your post.
When the US became aware of Pakistani modifactions of their Vipers they stopped the delivery of already paid for airframes, as well as the supply with spare parts. When Bush Jr. decided Pakistan would be useful for the Afganistan campaign, they where about to retire the complete F-16 fleet.
Without the war in Afganistan the complete Pakistani F-16 fleet would be unserivicable now.
Contrary to your believe, this example shows exactly how important it is to have the support of the supplier for such a modification.
Next is your comment about the a2g capabilities of the EF2K. Especially your comparison to the MiG-29 is lacking. While the MiG-29A was only equipped with iron bombs and rocket pods, and never intended for a2g missions, the German airforce just recently started to equip it's first fighter bomber wing with the type.
It is meant to be multirole, and in my opinion a damn tough target to intercept, with it's tendency for going supersonic even with 3 droptanks and the quite capable ECM suite.
@2 EF winning over 8 F-15-well they said they were in attacking role. So 8 F-15 low at fuel and probably with higher weapon load. I must say I'm really surprised they didn't get all 8 of them. :wink:
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

johnny_m wrote: No its actually a book not an article. Its a Janes Publication by Jon Lake.

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/157405382/How_to_Fly_and_Fight_in_the_Mikoyan_Mig-29_Fulcrum.rar
how do you know what I've read ?!

THIS ARTICLE is the one that I was referring to. I've seen discussions based on this article in other forums as well.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

shukla wrote:EUROFIGHTER likely to win?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6 ... arketsNews
You know you could have atleast read this page completely before posting something. The news has been posted a few posts above yours.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

CM,

Thanks for that podcast. As suspected Typhoon is witnessing cutbacks - and, I bet this will only increase. Rafale is too expensive (nothing new there). And, Gripen may be out for good.

Stated this before. Outside the F-18 (and may be the F-16 too), the others that do not get a nod from India (and in some cases from Brazil) will pretty much die a natural death.

I fully expect the Rafale and Gripen to be on their last versions. So too the Typhoon after their Tranche 3 - IF that too survives full orders.

Let us see what happens.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

hindu wrote:“Future wars are likely to be short, crisp and intense. Hence logistics and inventory management become crucial as well as critical,” the Air Chief Marshal pointed out.

“There are a number of areas wherein we lack industrial base and simply do not possess the requisite capabilities. We have to accept that we cannot develop capabilities in each and every field.”

“We must therefore identify core technologies which have a promise of maximum potential in indigenisation and pursue them vigorously. Some of these areas, in my view, are critical areas like avionics, simulation, electronic warfare, communication and so on. It is imperative that we identify emerging technologies and concentrate on developing them. We should develop niche capabilities in specific spheres,” Air Chief Marshal said.

To DRDO:-
“In this collaborative effort, we believe that the user must be the captain,” Air Chief Marshal made it clear.

HAL is now thinking of extending its footprint in the operations at the Squadron level.
So HAL, going to take bit part in logistics and operations - maintenance of assets.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

supply chain too.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

supply chain could be tricky... unless, it is only inventory management (not transportation). imho, IAF has to handle the logistic transport.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

For building the plane and then spares, etc. Anything associated with the plane (if it involves food for pilots, so be it).
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shukla wrote:EUROFIGHTER likely to win?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6 ... arketsNews
A Europe win in MMRCA is the most likely logical conclusion , as this will not cause much heartburn in Kremlin and Washington for loosing a big deal and put relations in sour.

It is also a safe choice politically and militarily to go for and will keep IAF happy.

While US and Russia would likely win other small and big deal and keep the ball rolling.
Ajay K
BRFite

Post by Ajay K »

Folks, the irony remains that the armed forces will never get the best in class weapon systems. Its the babu's choice which the country has to reconcile with.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Well Arms deal is never about best in class weapons , its always about the best overall deal and what we can afford.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well that I see it as a sad state of affairs that babooze have to take this decision. well, its their choice if it is, then it was our choice to elect them in the first place.

we are driven by human politics rather than requirement and process politics. The faster we are policy driven rather baboo driven, the better would be our defence and security setup.

again our choice. /sorry OT.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Well past its age. Post away in the new incarnation please.