LCA news and discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA news and discussion

Post by enqyoob »

Chirag:

The great thing about Endowed Chairs is that the Endowing Sponsor has zero say (i.e., in any credible institution of Higher Learning) in what the Chair occupant does.
But of course, an endowment buys a red-carpet welcome to the organization, sure.

Nominally good relations are expected, but usually there is not even research funding following the Endowment.

The best reason for the endowment is, seriously, access to the student pool to pick the best. Successful technical organizations understand the old Malloo poem:
Laksham maanushar kootumbol athil lakshanam ullavar onno rando

In a jirga oph sau hajaar, 1 or 2 onlee are not "404". So they know that hiring those 1 or 2, or more to the point, keeping their competitors from getting them, is key to survival.

Funding a gas turbine chair in the hometown of the GE JEWRC is a coup for PW. How IISc uses this is up to IISc.

As for taking the research, hey, all one has to do is look at the PhD theses, which Indian universities still send out to foreigners a YEAR ahead of their publication, in an utterly shameful display of dhimmitude.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Diyar Enqyoob al GTRE-e-Kaatili
I am sure I understand WHY GTRE chose a bypass ratio of 0.18 - it is because the engine that they proposed was a 1970s technology engine. If your core is too inefficient, it has a large volume and weight per unit thrust produced. And the turbine is weak. So to fit the engine in a given fuselage, you are left with not much option but to go with low bypass ratio. And way back in 1986, a 1970s engine was a good first step to take. But this is 2009. Why is there no credible "Godavari" or "Ganga" to present, at least in a mockup with good component numbers behind it?
What Phor Godavari and Ganga, if only they remain mockups. In the absence of ability to remain erect in high garmi, it will be just slide ware onree and academic mast****tion onree no ?. Point is, without the material science , process and manufacturing strengths, the core will be big and bloated with a high mass flow and low specific power out put .

What you need is a tinku sa, chikna sa high performance core with high compression stage and a very high work turbine. That is the bottomline. That is what GTRE tried doing with the Snecma core. Take the tinku sa, chikna sa Snecma core and put it in place of the current Kaveri core,while keeping the LP system as current and walllah! py-pass increases, SFC drops, overall pressure ratio increases, thrust increases , all by magic onree !. Nice no ?.

So again, kicking GTRE will not work. They are not a materials science shop and dont have those skills like RR, UTC , GE, Snecma etc which built those capabilities inhouse and leverage NASA and Defense funded R&D programs in academia.
Blaming DMRE (never heard of them before - what does the R stand for there I wonder..) or some other 4-letter word is no solution. GTRE has to be blamed because it is the outfit that has the letters GT, R and E in its acronym. Providing leadership in engine technology to India is THEIR responsibility, and they should have been the ones adjusting course to make sure the right things were getting developed in time
Not the way it works in Yindia Saar. DMRL/Midhani aka (Mishra-Datu Nigam) (mixed metals corp in Inglees) is the designed "experts" for all kinds of material science ding dongs with defense /high tech apps in India. So if they guys cant come up with competitive materials, all the Injins whether Ganga or Godavari will remain on paper.

It is definitely not an easy thing to do. The key difference between Russian and western engines were the materials for a long long time. Why even the Mig 29 currently in service dont have single crystal blades I think. It is only the RD-33-3 on the Mig 29K that possibly has Fadec, Single Crystal, on condition maintenance and all the ding dongs. The first "modern" Russian aircraft engine possibly with all that is possibly the AL-31s on the Flankers.

On the civilian side, the gap was even more. In fact, in the old HAL airport, when I was waiting to board an Air Deccan flight (whose boarding is near the service area, far far away from the main terminal) and IAF IL-76 had landed and was taxiing and the 4 turbojets on it literally blew my ear drums away, while all the othe A320, B737 and even a 747 was quite okay to stand some 150 ft away. It is only later I looked up and found that that the engines on the Il-76 are derived from the Mig 25 engines (which takes it to Mach 3!). The Russies managed to come up with a modern high by pass turbo fan the PS-90A only in late 80s/early 90s and that too with P&W components for the more civilized export versions. The performance improvement in the IL76 is dramatic. 40% more payload and 25% more range or something than the versions with older engines.

In western planes, those kind of engines went out with the 707 and the JT8D!. Since GTRE has materials only from that era, similar engines is all you will get.

Now the Chinese too would be busting their bottoms trying to come up with the materials. The Japanese too dont have a credible engine. It is all western onree saar , as of now.

I other words neeither the Nihon Jin, Chini Jin or Yindu Jin have an Injin. Only Gai Jin do!.

So
We have Nihon Jin, Chini Jin and Yindu Jin, but no In Jin!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Thanks, vina.

True, true. Without high pressure compressor and high T-i-T, all the PPT and HTML in the IT duniya cannot make an ox-cart injin into a supercruise injin. Kavrei-1 is called "leaky turbojet" because of the tiny bypass on Wikipedia. I c y.

So u say Gai jin phrom Oirope and yoo ess both have this single-crystal? Did Frogistan get it through NATO? I don't c how something like single crystal blade can be so closely guarded all these years, to the point that it can't be duplicated in yindoostan. That calls for War Phooting Ephort to steal the stuff, at least. I mean, is it harder than Tritium Boosted Fission in a New Clear Bum?

Why is AIL31 not being considered for ell cee a? Yes, seems like some fuselage fattening may have to happen, is that it? Otherwise it's a question of expanding production at the existing facility, is it not? Aren't these injins 4 Su-30 made in yindoostan?
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

narayanan

i guess research work going outside for review is one of the problem.
the biggest problem is those fellows will be able to sniff around even on research done by profs and senior scientists
working directly or indirectly on classified projects (which do not go outside for reviews).
they will know whats cooking if not the blue print.

this will lead to arm twisting at high level and if we don't agree with them they will leak out to gora ddm who will make us look like next NoKo.

Hmm i guess this is going off topic.
going back to lurker mode :D
Last edited by chiragAS on 04 Aug 2009 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Narayanan, you have definitely come up with excellent points, but methinks that thou art viewing this issue from a corporate rather than an R&D perspective...

LCA has come back now to what it was meant to be - originally planned to be powered by a foreign engine. When, in the late 80s, that failed, they dumped it on GTRE without even a warning. GTRE failed (Its hard to see how they couldn't, given their level). But should all the blame go to GTRE?? I hardly think so.

Give out blame, but give it out fairly.

And I hardly think one can be fair without the full facts, such as knowing what DMRL is doing, or even what it is. Otherwise, it is just a lot of hot air.

Let us forget the actual blame for Kaveri.... start discussing the route forward. That is a more profitable line of enquiry.
Ajay K
BRFite

Post by Ajay K »

Vikram_S Post subject: Re: LCA news and discussionPosted: 02 Aug 2009 09:01 pm
BRFite
Sir
The paper is not available on the web but should be available via scientific publishing houses. Normally what happens is these papers are collated and published as meeting/conference proceedings..........
I would also request that you please look into what designing an entire gas turbine consists of, before we get into discussion of "beating ones chest" or not. As things do stand, there are only 5-6 countries in the world who have reached this stage, software or no software. Bespoke ie customized software was definitely developed for analysis for certain parts of project, but they also made use of commercial packages which are used industry wise. Important part is not what they used but that they learnt how to use it and have developed an engine. This understanding and the capability to actually see what and how an engine development program is done is what is invaluable and will be lost unless momentum is maintained.
Vikramji, I am sure not any of the 5-6 countries which you listed have come to a stage where we are, an antique engine and critical indigenous aircraft development program in limbo.
The invaluable insight that the country gained at the cost of Kaveri on "how an engine development program is done" will not be complete if the hard lessons and glaring inadequacies are made public either through yet another paper - direct from the horse's mouth or full fledged audit - CAG style.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

k prasad wrote: Let us forget the actual blame for Kaveri.... start discussing the route forward. That is a more profitable line of enquiry.
LCA was our first aircraft in decades, Kaveri was THE first engine. It was a blunder to couple them in the first place. The risk was always too great.

If you look at development of weapons, weapon platforms and their power plants, all these three DO NOT get developed simultaneously (and certainly not by a country which had no previous experience). The country generally goes for a proven aircraft to test a new missile, a proven engine to be mated with a new air frame etc. Hope we don't repeat the same mistake for the MCA.

Meanwhile, we should spend serious time and effort in buying SC technology (or the technicians, whichever is cheaper). If the government cannot do so, private players like Tata, Godrej, Kirlos should be encouraged to hire a few experts with the know-how. Obviously they should be promised with some minimum buys of a successful engine they develop, within set timelines
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

which Indian universities still send out to foreigners a YEAR ahead of their publication, in an utterly shameful display of dhimmitude.
a significant number have dropped the practice.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Chirag:
on classified projects (which do not go outside for reviews).
they will know whats cooking if not the blue print.
The kind and gentle system on Classified projects is that they don't exist. Period. If anything gets "leaked", someone goes to jail. I do hope that ppl working on these things in universities are well briefed on that aspect. Your concern there is well taken, though I doubt if giving $$ to universities OVER the counter buys any advantage in that. In the Age of Dinosaurs, of course, we just "happened to know" that certain ppls were working on gel-type things a la napalm - which if we knew, I guess the whole duniya knew. All it takes to find out about those things is to befriend some of the custodial staff to befriend those who sweep the labs and lock the doors at the labs, and chat them up about the sheer unconcern of Some Ppl about XXXXXXXXXX (fill in) - and wait with ears spread out for the response.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

prasadji:
originally planned to be powered by a foreign engine. When, in the late 80s, that failed, they dumped it on GTRE without even a warning. GTRE failed (Its hard to see how they couldn't, given their level). But should all the blame go to GTRE?? I hardly think so.
GTRE, again, takes the blame because it is the entity whose name suggests that this is where Gas Turbine Research in India is supposed to take place.

If we found out a month before the Chandrayaan mission that there is actually no Launch Vehicle, that actually the PSLV and GSLV are sounding rockets with Isp of 180 seconds, then who would get the blame? ISRO or some obscure outfit? So here GTRE is most definitely the entity to ask, "why were people left with the impression that the Kaveri engine is a viable modern option for the LCA when you guys are barely at 1971 in capabilities?"

Read the claims on the Kaveri from GTRE: Its supposed to have supercruise, flat-rated thrust, first engine to be designed for the diverse, harsh Indian Conditions, and well-suited for Hot Humid Climate of India, yada yada... when the reality is the "specs" were for a leaky turbojet of overall pressure ratio 21 and turbine inlet temperature of 1400+ C.

If GTRE were having trouble beating their heads against a target of 2000 C and a pressure ratio of 30 and bypass of 1, I would, as I have in the past, gone out on a limb to sing their praises for bravely going where no one has dared to go. Real-world maintenance issues of Indian Conditions, yes, sand ingestion issues, yes... High Density Altitude, yes... FOD robustness, yes...

But I find that they are not failing against anything of the sort. They are failing at a 1971 levelof ambition. It is time that people know that there is no serious leadership in jet engine techology, and it is time the protective covers were removed.

At least, GTRE needs to be pitted against a competing design bureau, if they don't want to do leading edge research, and just want to run glorified versions of undergraduate-level cycle analysis and stage analysis and call themselves an "RE". The Soviets, for all their Central Planning and abhorrence of capitalist greed, regularly pitted Mikoyan-Gurevich against Sukhoi and Tupolev and even Yakovlev(?) to ensure that there was enough "fire in the belly" to keep technology moving. For engines they seem to have had at least two (Tumansky and whoever builds the current ones?)

The Amir Khan keeps GE and P&W clawing at each other, and Williams, Garrett and others clawing around the small-engine world, to drive innovation - and allow Rolls Royce to have design bureaus right inside AmirKhana to keep these guys on their toes. In Oirope, its the same - enough cutthroat competition to drive innovation.

In India, GTRE has ruled the roost since the 1960s, and now whines that this is the FIRST engine that they are testing... and its a 1970 engine. Helloooo? Am I being unfair here?

As I stated, the problem is that GTRE was used to doing nothing. They did this extremely well from the 1960s when they failed to deliver anything useful on the HF-24 or Gnat, to the 1970s when they did (what DID they do in the 1970s? They had an Advanced Axial Compressor Engine mockup sitting in a dimly lit passage inside a glass cage, like the python cage at the Zoo in Malloostan. So it was very richly deserved that in the 1980s someone woke them up and asked them to come up with an engine design to justify their existence.

In 1986, the F100 type engines were out, and the glossy PR sheets gave just enough info that a 1-D cycle analysis and 2D stage analysis could be used to guess the temperature and most efficiencies.

NO WAY would anyone have specified anything so low for an engine to be started then. Nor would anyone at the ai ai teas done it - they were using the same textbooks in India then as in Amirkhana. So what was GTRE's justification for selling such an engine design as the one to power the LCA even if the LCA came out in 1994? The only possible one is that they were sure the LCA would NEVER come out.

OK, so the LCA got delayed. Where was the scramble to come up with the Upgraded Kaveri engine, with more respectable specs? Why is it suddenly possible to quote this for 2 year project completion today, when the IAFfinally said :P ? The answer is very simple: someone seems to have sat down with Hill and Peterson, Chapter 13 and spent the 2 hours that they should have spent in 1976.
And I hardly think one can be fair without the full facts, such as knowing what DMRL is doing, or even what it is. Otherwise, it is just a lot of hot air.
This is the standard alibi - that we on the outside 'don't know the realities, the full facts', about "GTRE's real constraints" etc. etc. They get away with this because no journalist has asked the right questions, and GTRE is only too ready and willing to pose as The National Experts on Gas Turbine Propulsion in India when it comes to acting expert - until someone calls the bluff and asks about RESULTS. Then it is everyone else's fault.

OK, fair is fair: Do GTRE people have any clue at all what people on the outside have to do to keep themselves fed in a competitive world? Where are those GTRE peer-reviewed research publications showing their "R"? Where are their innovations? Patents? Top Secret Projects that are now flying? What comes across is "This is our FIRST ENGINE! Please don't criticize us! It's all Someone Else's Fault because we have never done any work, so it can't be OUR work that's failing!"

They should keep their Director from opening his mouth and :(( :(( , for starters.
Let us forget the actual blame for Kaveri.... start discussing the route forward. That is a more profitable line of enquiry.
Sorry, but failure to expose the reasons why India is in this state today, with solid technical facts, will guarantee that there is no profit in the "route forward" except for those who want to continue the idyllic bliss of GTRE's standard mode of existence all these years.

Last I checked, the Indian lady who went off with a PhD over a decade ago, was on a team running tests on a new engine for one of the 2 Amirkhanic companies, at some remote place on the Texas or Arizona / Mexico border where the temperature is above 120F. She told me that's because the explosions won't be in the newspapers. Wonder why GTRE's experts can't also be in Rajasthan in June and Cherrapunji in December, testing engines under those un-equalled Harsh Indian Conditions which require the T-i-T to be less than 1500 C to keep it from overheating :roll: .
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

a significant number have dropped the practice.
Good 2 hear that, but eye eye tea kaygeepee is not one of them. And I had to agree that this was a good idea. :oops:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... ?p=4090253

japan is developing a fighter engine in same category as M88.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

How to make a jet engine

Honda has successfully completed initial flight tests of its latest compact, the HondaJet business jet. In a break with typical industry practices, Honda is powering its 4-passenger, 2-crew aircraft with its own engine, designated the Honda HF118 turbofan.

"The engines are optimally positioned on the upper surface of the main wing in a unique configuration that reduces drag at high speeds and increases cruising efficiency," says a company spokesman. "This layout also eliminates the need for structural engine mounts in the fuselage, creating over 30 percent more cabin space than in a conventional aircraft."

from popular mechanics
Below from Honda Jet site

The next advancement in business jet power: the HF120.
Born from the combined experience and technological excellence of GE and Honda, the new HF120 turbofan from GE Honda Aero Engines sets the stage for advanced business jet power. From concept to reality, the HF120 was engineered with a determined and well-defined goal: anticipate and fulfill the future needs of business jets. Welcome to the new dawn of flight.
ideal for a subsonic cruise missile or UAV armed
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

impression that the Kaveri engine is a viable modern option for the LCA when you guys are barely at 1971 in capabilities?"

... But I find that they are not failing against anything of the sort. They are failing at a 1971 levelof ambition.
.. The answer is very simple: someone seems to have sat down with Hill and Peterson, Chapter 13 and spent the 2 hours that they should have spent in 1976.
Diyar Enqyoob-al-GTRE-Kaatili . While it is true that we have materials that go back to the mid 70s and hence the engine as it is today is of the mid 70s, thermodynamic cycle, what you have written above doesn't follow automatically.

Now , why is that ?. Because the specs that were put out in Wiki like pressure ratio of 21, bye pass of 0.16 or whatever, thrust flat rated at 80KN etc are really INTERIM specs. The version we have of the Kaveri today is NOT the final version envisaged when the development was kicked off. No lack of ambition either. Whatever it is, the GTRE guys are not fools and they too are literate enough to read the same text books that you do.

I remember the first AI , I attended (was there one in 2004 ?) , when I was exploring the R2I bit (the 6 lane road to Devanhalli wasn't built and it was literally hell to get there in some seriously mad traffic), I did speak with the GTRE guy who was standing with the Kaveri display. I asked him exact same question. Why such low ambition in pressure ratios and other parameters.

His answer was, we are basically using directionally solidified blades as of now and kaam chalao materials to prove the engine layout and basic dynamics to make sure everything works. Once we get single crystal blades and better materials , our final product will have more contemporary values and be competitive.

That is the way Snecma d'El-Frogistan too went about with the M88 business.. Look hiyar to see in tattered old Flight Global articles on when Snecma actually built the single crystal blade and when they got it onto M88 and now you know why the M88 had such a long timeline to come on board. And even as we speak, the gap between Kaveri as of today and M88 is not mind bogglingly huge as far as basics go.

The difference is El'Frogistan managed to put money behind mouth and had the perseverance and industrial capability to go out and develop and productionize the single crystal materials in the period 1983 to 1988 and then put it on the M88. That my dear Katil-e-GTRE is the difference. A very minute one , even a kerfluffle maybe , but a giant chasm in the end. So now sir. We are where El'Frogs were in 1988, all dressed , but nowhere to go, because we dont have the vehicle (materials) , to go to the next level ,but getting our own materials into the engine, now that the basics are in place and get the performance from early 1984 (remember, that is when the M2000 entered in service, and that didnt have single crystal) to 2000 or so (when the Rafale entered service).

So that is why I keep telling you. Dont bash GTRE. They have done their job. Train your guns on Midhani/DMRL and the babu pinheads who didn't realize how critical the material base is and go all out and move hell and earth to make sure we got those materials (single crystal, powder metallurgy discs , testing facilities and all the rest of it). That part is the structural failing of India's defense org. With the way the system is organized, the super Eye Yea Ass Babu at MoD is the "overall integrator" as usual GTRE simply couldnt not have got either the funding, manpower or even mandate to go develop the materials even if it could. It called for a national effort leveraging multiple sources of expertise (academia, research and private industry), but babu monkeys can never orchestrate that sort of thing and simply dont have the imagination , background and capability to run such programs.

In the end , put it down to a colossal program management failure .

About Frogistan , in next post.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

For engines they seem to have had at least two (Tumansky and whoever builds the current ones?)
nitpick :

klimov, tumansky, saturn, the guys who make the ps-90 (aviadivia something) and kuznetsov.

of course they had many more in the 50's, but those didn't survive the competition.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

>>>Sorry, but failure to expose the reasons why India is in this state today, with solid technical facts, will guarantee that there is no profit in the "route forward" except for those who want to continue the idyllic bliss of GTRE's standard mode of existence all these years.

In that case be kind enough to expose other 'failures' as well viz.,

1. Why the LCA radar is not functional even when multiple labs have been toiling on it for decades?
2. Our scientists had been working on composite materials since late 70's atleast..why we needed Italian help (as our dear Admiral vouches)?
3. Sagem supplied RLGs, displays etc etc...why on earth?
4. The Oleolegs, as I understand was literally plucked from the Jaguars and put on LCA? why? Why??
5. We couldn't design even a decent ejection seat...why?
6. If you look deeper, some of the nuts& bolts may also have been imported..why?

Is it that only GTRE fellas have the responsibility to produce the results without any external help?

Coming to DMRL/MIDHANI, that 'tall lean' fellow called Arunachalam was in-charge of the whole DRDO. Instead of doing something useful, or take those material scientists to task, he cooly pushed off Khanistan and is passing sermons on how India lacks in super-computing and why it is a waste of money to design gigaflop machines when Khan is already into teraflop yada-yada. He did everything possible to get that Saankhya vaahiny A.K.A CIA project going. When people like that were at the helm, what do you expect?

For all you know India's case for developing a jet engine may have already been compromised by installing the 'right' people at the 'right' place, so that this issue goes round and round in circles with no result. In such cases, why GTRE, even God almighty can't help us.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

Should we not take the GTRE bashing to the Kaveri engine thread :?:
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

and dear John Snow, making a fire belching contraption out of an unserviceable automotive turbocharger is nothing more than a basic illustration of turbojet technology at work. Maybe a demo piece of aviation gas turbine. Doesnt make the cut as a jet injun. More of a fancyboy American weekend garage project than any thing else.

And before you suggest, you cant mount these even on a CM.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

LCA was our first aircraft in decades, Kaveri was THE first engine. It was a blunder to couple them in the first place. The risk was always too great.
AND YET these very people who started these effort/s, who were brought from abroad, were in great enough demand for the western companies to welcome them back!!! :)

There is a lot more to these stories than plain simple risk, etc. We rarely talk of the political risk and Indian crabbing risk.

However, I think I can subscribe to: forget the past and start afresh. Rehashing the past seems to have no value - no one outside the techies want to learn from it. Besides that I feel right now there is enough critical mass (in ALL respects - funds, political support, internal brain power, etc) to make it happen.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

>> In the end , put it down to a colossal program management failure

failure or not its still a lot better than itvity where people cant program manage a project
consisting of 4 people. would have been fun if a project like kaveri or tejas been given
to itvity sector as many people demand :mrgreen:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

In the end , put it down to a colossal program management failure .
The issue, then is, have they managed to overcome the deficiencies.

Also, whatever is the face of the entire program will normally get the beating - in this case GTRE.
Last edited by NRao on 04 Aug 2009 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

narayanan wrote: Did Frogistan get it through NATO?
Apart from being serious about research, the French are serious about espionage
Some of the specific cases are shocking. According to a recent New York Times article by Peter Schweizer, `between 1987 and 1989, French intelligence planted moles in several U.S. companies, including IBM. In the fall of 1991, a French intelligence team attempted to steal `stealth' technology from Lockheed.' Other accounts report that French intelligence units conduct 10 to 15 break-ins every day at large hotels in Paris to copy documents that belong to businessmen, journalists, and diplomats. According to other accounts, the French have been hiding listening devices on Air France flights in order to pick up useful economic information from business travelers.
Pierre Marion, retired Director of the French DGSE, publicly noted that:
"This espionage activity is an essential way for France to keep abreast of international commerce and technology. Of course, it was directed against the United States as well as others. You must remember that while we are allies in defense matters, we are also economic competitors in the world."
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

I'm not a great fan of discussing the past to death, since it brings no benefits whatsoever, and thus, this will be my last post on the topic.
Kailash wrote:If you look at development of weapons, weapon platforms and their power plants, all these three DO NOT get developed simultaneously (and certainly not by a country which had no previous experience). The country generally goes for a proven aircraft to test a new missile, a proven engine to be mated with a new air frame etc. Hope we don't repeat the same mistake for the MCA.
Read my post Kailash sir... this was the route we also wanted to take, till the foreign engine mfr backed out, and GTRE was brought in in a big hurry and dumped with the task. I know we are yindoo SDREs, but our scientists are anything but stupid.

@Narayanan sir,
narayanan wrote:prasadji:
originally planned to be powered by a foreign engine. When, in the late 80s, that failed, they dumped it on GTRE without even a warning. GTRE failed (Its hard to see how they couldn't, given their level). But should all the blame go to GTRE?? I hardly think so.
GTRE, again, takes the blame because it is the entity whose name suggests that this is where Gas Turbine Research in India is supposed to take place.

If we found out a month before the Chandrayaan mission that there is actually no Launch Vehicle, that actually the PSLV and GSLV are sounding rockets with Isp of 180 seconds, then who would get the blame? ISRO or some obscure outfit? So here GTRE is most definitely the entity to ask, "why were people left with the impression that the Kaveri engine is a viable modern option for the LCA when you guys are barely at 1971 in capabilities?"
Yes... now, imagine if suddenly, before the SLV-3 had flown, GoI had dumped a C1 project on ISRO saying do it in 15 years....

But yes, GTRE is definitely to be questioned how they could hope to get a Kaveri on the LCA. But lets remember that no one even knew what would be required out of the engine at that time - NO ONE. It was only once we gained expertise that the whole task before us became clearer, which is when the realization came. One may say that it was too late, but that expertise needed to come some time. At least next time, we'll be in a better position to say "we can't do it in the time frame"

It is like when one hears about Everest - without seeing it, one can say, "Sure, I can climb it". As one approaches, only then does the task hit us. You can say, "Oh, but they should have known that before". Sure, but they were in the process of doing exactly that when the Govt picked them up and dropped them right at Base camp...
narayanan wrote:But I find that they are not failing against anything of the sort. They are failing at a 1971 levelof ambition. It is time that people know that there is no serious leadership in jet engine techology, and it is time the protective covers were removed.
How?? One can easily put Kaveri on a 1971 jet and get excellent performance. But it isn't ready for a 2010 jet like the Tejas... thats the simple difference. Again, I repeat, Glass half-full vs half-empty. Stop looking at it from a IT-vity project deadline viewpoint, but look at it from a more R&D tilted view.
narayanan wrote:At least, GTRE needs to be pitted against a competing design bureau, if they don't want to do leading edge research, and just want to run glorified versions of undergraduate-level cycle analysis and stage analysis and call themselves an "RE". The Soviets, for all their Central Planning and abhorrence of capitalist greed, regularly pitted Mikoyan-Gurevich against Sukhoi and Tupolev and even Yakovlev(?) to ensure that there was enough "fire in the belly" to keep technology moving. For engines they seem to have had at least two (Tumansky and whoever builds the current ones?)

The Amir Khan keeps GE and P&W clawing at each other, and Williams, Garrett and others clawing around the small-engine world, to drive innovation - and allow Rolls Royce to have design bureaus right inside AmirKhana to keep these guys on their toes. In Oirope, its the same - enough cutthroat competition to drive innovation.
By all means sir... if you can find another organization to compete with GTRE, bring it on. In fact, why stop at GTRE... find another organization to compete with ADA, and design an LCA competitor. Then, you can double the money spent, get the same performance and then of course, watch them competing with '71 tech.

This is true blue TSP logic that you're using... Can we afford right now (forget the 20 years ago) to spend money on two organizations, when we are short of everything (esp manpower) for one.
narayanan wrote:
This is the standard alibi - that we on the outside 'don't know the realities, the full facts', about "GTRE's real constraints" etc. etc. They get away with this because no journalist has asked the right questions, and GTRE is only too ready and willing to pose as The National Experts on Gas Turbine Propulsion in India when it comes to acting expert - until someone calls the bluff and asks about RESULTS. Then it is everyone else's fault.
No... if you hadnt even heard of DMRL, I wondered how you could make an objective analysis.

The constraints that GTRE has faced are already out in the open. If we bother to take them into account. You can't give a 3rd std kid an IIT paper and later blast him for not doing well... the kid being ignorant of the paper, and also being forced into it, may say ok, i'll do it; that is, until he reads the questions. So who is to blame for the failure?? some of the fault must lie with the guy who forced the kid as well.

Even after that, nowhere have I said that GTRE isn't at fault - only that the blame isn't solely with them and 2) Its no use blaming now, and we should concentrate
narayanan wrote:OK, fair is fair: Do GTRE people have any clue at all what people on the outside have to do to keep themselves fed in a competitive world? Where are those GTRE peer-reviewed research publications showing their "R"? Where are their innovations? Patents? Top Secret Projects that are now flying? What comes across is "This is our FIRST ENGINE! Please don't criticize us! It's all Someone Else's Fault because we have never done any work, so it can't be OUR work that's failing!"

They should keep their Director from opening his mouth and :(( :(( , for starters.
Peer reviewed papers?? Are you reading the proceedings of Indian conferences?? I have seen a full 5 volume book set from IISc ECE dept with only their papers that relate to work they've done for DRDO (this is, of course, not open)... believe me, there are enough published
papers from GTRE.

What I have against your rants are simply the lack of understanding about what has been achieved and under what circumstances. I was looking for even a bit of an indication that you've considered the timeline and their technology at the time. Instead, you seem to have confused GTRE for GE and the Indian MoD for the US DoD.
narayanan wrote:
Sorry, but failure to expose the reasons why India is in this state today, with solid technical facts, will guarantee that there is no profit in the "route forward" except for those who want to continue the idyllic bliss of GTRE's standard mode of existence all these years.

Last I checked, the Indian lady who went off with a PhD over a decade ago, was on a team running tests on a new engine for one of the 2 Amirkhanic companies, at some remote place on the Texas or Arizona / Mexico border where the temperature is above 120F. She told me that's because the explosions won't be in the newspapers. Wonder why GTRE's experts can't also be in Rajasthan in June and Cherrapunji in December, testing engines under those un-equalled Harsh Indian Conditions which require the T-i-T to be less than 1500 C to keep it from overheating :roll: .
Simply because the GTRE ppl have already been analyzed, blasted and cut to pieces by the concerned authorities... no use flogging a dead horse. Time to move on.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

this was the route we also wanted to take, till the foreign engine mfr backed out, and GTRE was brought in in a big hurry and dumped with the task
A hurry which lasted how many years?
Reluctance to take up a project should not compromise quality of the deliverable. Agreed GTRE is not the only body to be blamed. But they certainly should have raised more noise (called for attention, funds, consultancy, as and WHEN necessary) and tried to finish the product. Effort duly appreciated, result matters.

Having said that, lot of good happened. We have a working aero engine, which can be used for other applications like LIFT, UAVs, trainer variants and possibly initial prototypes of MCA. The spin offs like marine, MBT and miniaturized version would help get some return on investment. The data and experience gained is simply priceless.
However, I think I can subscribe to: forget the past and start afresh. Rehashing the past seems to have no value - no one outside the techies want to learn from it. Besides that I feel right now there is enough critical mass (in ALL respects - funds, political support, internal brain power, etc) to make it happen.
Cant agree more..
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

The HF-24 fiasco had taught us that the engine was usually the choke point, the critical technology that nobody would give us and that could take an aircraft project down. Hence when the LCA was initiated, it was decided from the beginning that we would develop our engine. The claim that initially it was supposed to be powered by a foreign engine and that later on, GTRE was dumped with the project is contrary to everything I have read and heard, including from the person who initiated the project in the first place.

The problems in GTRE were identified very early on. In fact, the first head of the ADA and the chief designer of the LCA both fell foul of the leadership of DRDO and resigned, partly because they had expressed concerns about GTRE, its leadership style, its unwillingness to adopt modern project management practices and its propensity to falsify facts even on project progress. This was back in the mid-1980s. It seems like we did not learn even after repeated signals and we are paying the price for that now.

Politics and an archaic organization structure, coupled with the complete lack of public scrutiny and accountability has been the bane of defence research in India. The LCA, perhaps managed under an ISRO-style administrative structure and with ISRO-style autonomy coupled with accountability, could have been a spectacular success. Instead, we are still talking about the potential of the aircraft, with no certainty about which engine will power it.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

I would be better off discussing the shabby paint-work on Tejas rather than the same old-GTRE bashing that's going on from what feels like eternity ! :P :P
Last edited by KrishG on 04 Aug 2009 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
SanjibGhosh
BRFite

Post by SanjibGhosh »

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... attle.html
Eurojet boss confident of success in Tejas engine battle
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

The HF-24 fiasco had taught us that the engine was usually the choke point, the critical technology that nobody would give us and that could take an aircraft project down. Hence when the LCA was initiated, it was decided from the beginning that we would develop our engine. The claim that initially it was supposed to be powered by a foreign engine and that later on, GTRE was dumped with the project is contrary to everything I have read and heard, including from the person who initiated the project in the first place.
why did it take the LCA to be initiated for us to start an engine development program ? if we had learnt the lessons of marut powerplant fiasco, they would started a program in the 70's itself ! in most cases, AFAIK engine development usually takes a bit longer than the rest of an aircraft development, that with a solid MIC base. which is why most aircrafts are usually designed around engines rather than the other way around. (n^3 ji please correct me if I'm wrong)

did we expect to develop an engine in time without *any* basic capability worth its name ? did we actually learn anything from the marut ? sorry, I don't buy that we did.

sure, some people certainly did. but the people actually responsible for guiding the broad contours of national programs, people at the ranks of SA to RM/PM etc didn't do anything of the sort.
undoubtedly, GTRE takes much of the blame but its the higher ups who should be blasted.
if one knew all along that GTRE wasn't up to it, exactly what steps were taken based on this foreknowledge ??
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

RANT WARNING

We are quick to point out that the Kaveri failed. We generally compare the Kaveri to the Ge-404/414 etc or the EJ200. All these engines are made by companies/countries which have a lot of experience in making these.
Moreover most projects (in the US/Russia etc) are not Single airframe/single engine projects but rather competitive evaluations of engines and airframes.
E.g: The Mig-29 was a winner in the light fighter program in the USSR.
The F22 had a competitor in the YF-23. The F/A 18 hornet was also a winner in a competition.

For every engine that is successful there are two which are not. However the lessons learnt in making these failures help to make the other engine more successful.

In India....we have one airframe design mated to one engine program...how will this be successful?

But we still blame the GTRE...i would say hats-off to the guys for trying. Why didnt the government initiate a parallel program maybe called bhima/krishna (these are rivers)...this would have given choice...we went from a kabini to kaveri...why was this...the chai-biskoot company is to be blamed for this...

P.S: Why dont we have a Kamini engine program starting already, we could have something ready by the time the MCA comes online. And we should not have one MCA design but two programs...
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

did we expect to develop an engine in time without *any* basic capability worth its name ? did we actually learn anything from the marut ? sorry, I don't buy that we did.
Understandable
sure, some people certainly did. but the people actually responsible for guiding the broad contours of national programs, people at the ranks of SA to RM/PM etc didn't do anything of the sort.
The source was offered SA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said.

With all due respect to other posts too, there are a few things that have not come out here. BUT, the status of the Kaveri was very predictable - and it was predicted long back.

Time to move on, with a focus on management.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

This is precisely why some of us believe this should be discussed - and in the LCA thread.

"Past is past, water under bridge, let's not depress hard-working ppl, move on.. "

These are all excuses for "We will continue to do what we have been doing for the past 40 years, which is to not listen to anyone, and not make needed changes, not be clear about project progress, etc. etc., because we seriously don't believe that any Indian plane is going to fly. When asked tough questions, we will pass the buck and stonewall citing our own extreme smartness and awareness, contrasted with the ignorance of outsiders. This is easy since we don't really tell anyone what's going on, otherwise they would realize early and shut us down.".

There is absolutely no reason to believe that there is willingness to change. At MINIMUM, responsibility for engine DEVELOPMENT should no longer be in GTRE. The state of engine technology will not catch up with that in other countries until this step is taken.

I have to get a chuckle out of ppl telling me not to look at projects from an "IT" pov. :rotfl:
It's also interesting to see the notion that if there is competition for such projects, it will be just a waste of money since no better results would be produced. This is precisely the attitude that says there won't be progress.

The point of Spinster's examples was two-fold. First, that a turbojet engine can be built in a garage, especially for things like UAVs. Second, that commercial automobile vendors like Honda are able to build turbofan engines, smalller than the LCA engine but very efficient and with the latest technologies.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

The source was offered SA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said.
sorry, didn't get it.
BUT, the status of the Kaveri was very predictable - and it was predicted long back.
yes, even AM Rajkumar says so in his book. but what exactly did we do about it ? (other than waiting for kaveri to fail and romp around the town saying "I told you so" when it did ?)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

self deleted.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Actually, after the Marut failed, there was a concerted effort to try and get the Government to fund an engine development program through the 70s. It was not forthcoming. The leadership failed to grasp that there were basic capabilities that could be developed and that would pay off in the admittedly distant future.

But the fact remains that when the LCA project was envisioned, there was full clarity that an engine had to be developed. That the capabilities had to be built, almost from scratch. That the project required tight management. Note that I am not blaming GTRE for the failure of this endeavor. The blame lies in political games and in poor project management, and an inability of the leadership of the time (both at the level of the DRDO and the political leadership) to recognize the nature of the problems and to do anything to fix them.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

In early 90s at GTRE it was well know (first hand info) that the main and pretty much the only problem was metallurgy. It was known well enough for people having even semi-casual interactions with GTRE (such as me) could find out. It was hardly a secret to anyone on the LCA program at ADA either.

As it is clear from most informed posts on Kaveri here, that continues to be the killer.

So with the ENTIRE ADA/HAL engine division etc knowing about it, the fact that we could do not do enough for it tells me the blame or lets find out what went wrong goes far beyond either GTRE or DMRL or ADA etc.

Could we solve it the way we solved ATV issues with Russian help etc? Maybe, we just don't know.

But yes, the blame has to be spread liberally going all the way up to the top. No need to make GTRE the scapegoat here. Because if GTRE made outrageous and basically flawed claims, what were the others doing. Its not that IIT teaches only Flight mechanics to those who then go to NAL/ADA and only engine to those who go to GTRE.

Obviously ADA as the nodal agency needed to know (which I know it did) what were they thinking of? I first hand very very well know engineers and pilots and IAF who know enough about Turbofans and turboprops etc to know what bypass ratio and inlet temps are and who regularly instrument and test engines in HAL etc.

What were they doing? Why so patient?

What was MoD doing when told (although I personally dont have first hand info whether it was told or not, but I am guessing it must have)

So the most critical piece of the whole project is the engine and its most critical piece is metallurgy and MoD just "trusts" GTRE to do it and falls asleep and is mity surprise 20 years hence when they find out "hey no engine" what exactly has been happening here?

One would think Engines are black magic part of aerospace industry which only GTRE knows and every one takes their word on it. Didn't every one KNOW in 2004 when IAF changed its specs what its implications would be? No one had any clue as to how engines mated with LCA?

The reason why GTRE gets away with murder and will keep doing so(so to say) is that the entire establishment is itself sitting around watching the entertainment, a major reality show even before the Sat TV.

Bah.....
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

We are not doing that bad with LCA and Kaveri but we can do better ... who are still not convenience ... some facts ... lets compare….

Eurofighter Typhoon development history
The UK had identified a requirement for a new fighter as early as 1971 …. As a result the Panavia partners (BAe, MBB and Aeritalia) launched the Agile Combat Aircraft (ACA) programme in April 1982 ……. In 1983 the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain launched the Future European Fighter Aircraft (FEFA) programme…. The EAP first flew on 6 August 1986 ….The aircraft was known as Eurofighter EFA from the late 1980s until it was renamed EF 2000 in 1992….. And entered service in 2003 (Tranche 1 basic version)
21 years even after they have previous knowledge, no Technology transfer issues.

F/A-18 Hornet
Northrop YF-17, main design elements date to early 1965, from the internal Northrop project N-300. The N-300 was itself derived from the F-5E an existing plane … The first prototype (tail number 72-1569) was rolled out at Hawthorne on 4 April 1974 and was cancelled on 9 June, 1974. Reborn under F/A-18 Hornet on with first flight 18 November 1978……. Please note there were many redesigns and the first production F/A-18A flew on 12 April 1980 ….. entered operational service on 7 January 1983.
15 years of development when they have already engines and design improved from working plane F-5E.

Dassault Rafale
In the mid-1970s, both the French Air Force (Armée de l'Air) and Navy (Aéronavale) had a requirement (the Navy's being rather more pressing) to find a new generation of fighter (principally to replace AdlA SEPECAT Jaguars and Aéronavale F-8 Crusaders), In 1983, France awarded Dassault a contract for two Avion de Combat eXpérimental (ACX) demonstrators……first flight on 4 July 1986 and Introduced on 4 December 2000.
17 years of development when they have already engines and design improved from working planes Jaguars.

HAL Tejas
The LCA programme was launched in 1983…. ADA established in 1984 …. Project definition (PD) commenced in October 1987 and was completed in September 1988 … Phase 1 started (in 1990, but full-scale funding was not authorized until April 1993) would focus on "proof of concept".. only after successful testing of the TD aircraft would the Indian government give its full support to the LCA design. …. TD-1 First flight 4 January 2001 and induction in 2012
Should I start from 1983 or 1993 without labs, funds???? That I leave to individual interpretation… I will project both
1) 29 yrs*
2) 19 yrs*
* with problems… u name it and we have
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Yeah, we are talking about MCA since mid 1990s but haven't started it, most like it'll gain sanctions in 2015 and IAF will revise GSQR in 2025. In year 2040 new lot of DDMs would report that MCA was conceived in mid 1990 and it is still not operational. :((
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The issue is that at the very, very early stages there was enough info to state that the engine was not going anywhere. Whether if a corrective solution could have been found to build a viable solution in X years ........... we really do not know. But, given the brain power that was assembled there is enough reason to believe that there would have been a solution.

Efforts were made. Then, in the 80s that is.

Katare,

"revise GSQR" is to be expected. The beauty is that these people found solutions for such things even then.

High slung technical people had to learn management skills on the fly, give up their own R&D - which was their strength (fully recognizing that they NEED to be better managers) - and make things happen, with all the constraints of the Indian environment.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Before the Kaveri GTRE had a turbojet engine which was very fuel consuming. A turbofan had to be developed for LCA application. And the specs were based on GE F404 and the airframe was qualified with that. However along the way the airframe put on more weight due to design conservatism and realism (you can do only so much with available materials). So engine specs were revised. All this hides the fact that the Kaveri dod not meet the original specs. And that has added to the weight problem. Kavier issues should be discussed in LCA as the two are conjoint programs. One needs the other.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Simply because the GTRE ppl have already been analyzed, blasted and cut to pieces by the concerned authorities... no use flogging a dead horse. Time to move on
This part I strongly disagree with. Dissecting the past and analyzing stuff with an open mind based on facts has it's usues and more so, discussing it in forums such as this, because the mass media is a bunch of dorky cretins, the CAG and other babudom can't find their own asses with their two hands if someone hit them on the head with a hammer.

Basically , the entire system has the intelligence and smarts of a bag of stones. Look at another way of getting the single crystal blades. In the much ballyhooed SU-30 program and "building from basic materials" part, we were led to believe that we are getting the single crystal process and manufacturing tech along with the Al-31 engines right?. Publicly available materials says no. HAL /babu monkeys decided it was too "expensive", though it was part of contract . Now with 240 flankers or so on order, and the entire AL-55 engine program for IJT and UCAVs and all of it (AL-55 is just a scaled down AL-31, same gas flow path and everything), you have close to 1000 to 1200 engines being built. If such volumes dont justify it, I dont know what will. Think of it. If you labs dont have it in them to come up with the material, this was one sure fire way of getting it that came your way and you turn your nose up at it!.

And now we are stuck with stuff like putting a French core (with no TOT on hard basics mind you) at exorbitant prices or a do or die situation in getting the materials from basic research !.

Basically it is a lack of seriousness. I always maintained that only someone with a healthy contempt for babudom pin headed ness and some ability to look beyond nose can make these big strategic decisions.

Enqyoob had it wrong. It was not that no one expected the LCA to fly (though many did), but absolutely no one expected GTRE to succeed. Unfortunately they have (albeit late), and now because the babu monkeys couldn't take their thumbs out of their asses, and either acquire the material base via the Flanker program or get basic R&D and productionizing done on a war footing, there is no where to go from here!.