Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
arun
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by arun »

X Posted.

Indian Army orders communication equipment adapted to withstand extreme environmental conditions from Swedens Aqeri :
Aqeri’s largest export order to date

13 Oct 2010 – Aqeri has received its largest export order to date, worth more than MSEK 8, and the end customer is the Indian Army. For a long time Aqeri has been building up strong confidence in its products and is now beginning to reap the rewards of its work. The order, consisting of communication equipment adapted to withstand the extreme environmental conditions in Asia, will take place during the first and second quarters of 2011.

The order is the third in a row in this project and refers to the final part of a test series prior to the start of volume series. The Indian Navy has also shown interest in the same solution.

Similar products have been successfully tested for some years in another large project, a radar system, at a few places along India’s border.

"After 8 year’s presence in India with a number of small experimental orders where we have proved our competence we are now beginning to approach the larger projects, which is tremendously exciting" says Jan Israelsson, CEO of Aqeri.

Clicky
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Two Admins are taking their Battle to the Next Level and BR is turning out to be the battle ground for numbers :rotfl: :rotfl:
Last edited by Rahul M on 14 Oct 2010 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kindly DO NOT make disparaging comments like these if you want to continue here as a member.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

karan_mc wrote:
Two Admins are taking their Battle to the Next Level and BR is turning out to be the battle ground for numbers :rotfl: :rotfl:
Boss, I will quit posting any of FI links.

Added later...

I have made a mention to the moderators also.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^ Chacko,

What happned that you will stop posting FI links. The links are valuable and informative. I don't think that mods will have any issues with you posting FI links.

So please carry on posting FI links. Just a request.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Thanks, I will do it. :D
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

a comment on this issue, we have no problem with anyone posting anything as long as it is meant in the right spirit and not solely for product placement.
as for chacko, he is here at my personal invitation and out of decency he initially strongly refused to link to any FI report on BR. he relented only after he was assured that it is not only acceptable but desirable (since no one would know better which reports would be 'hot') that he do so for the sake of discussions.
I would prefer not to see any comments on this issue in the future, least of all on open forum.
Rahul.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

@chackojoseph , Rahul M and other Moderators

Since you have already edited your last comment ,but i still like to clarify that i "Karan Merchant " donot have any task nor i am admin of any site specially idrw.com which you mentioned , i donot know any thing remote about website development or hosting .

Secondly i didnot wanted BR to become a pissing contest between two sites , aggressive "DIRECT LINK" posting has been happening by the other site for some days now , i regard your website in very high terms of repect , i do get direct emails from Fi on all matters , and since i am old chap following BR from early days of (1999) i didnot liked what i saw .

i am sorry if it offended any one specally chackojoseph

Regards

KARAN MERCHANT
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

karan_mc,

Thanks. You know , it taxes a lot when it comes to multiple activity. I am a jingo too. forum postings saps my energies as the fatigue on FI is high enough.

Also, as explained, the nature of news is get it fast and get it faster to the readers. Every one does it. Even negative news, as long as eyeballs are assured.

I also regret calling names to you and a site.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Indian army chief's remarks unwise, jingoistic, says Pakistan

Pakistan's foreign office also reacted angrily to what it called "uncalled for" remarks on the country's internal affairs. Rejecting the allegations made by Army chief Gen V K Singh, foreign office spokesman Abdul Basit said in a statement: "The government of Pakistan takes a serious exception to the reported statement of the Indian Army chief about his threat perception from Pakistan, war under a nuclear scenario and uncalled for and gratuitous comments on the internal affairs of Pakistan."

The repetitive mentions by Indian Army's high command "about war under the nuclear scenario is not only irresponsible but also jingoistic and unwise," Basit said. "Such statements and grandstanding by India are evidently unhelpful to the cause of promoting peace, security and stability in South Asia," he added. Pakistan remains committed to a purposeful and result-oriented dialogue with India on all outstanding issues, including the "core issue of Jammu and Kashmir," the spokesman said.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeGFQzf0 ... embedded#!

Video of Indo-Russian Troops at Indra 2010. Russian Troops with all new Equipment and Camo and You can See the Black Insas, LMG INSAS and Lots of Scoped INSAS with Indian Troops.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

THE Tribune Interview
by Raj Chengappa, Editor-in-Chief

“We are prepared to meet any kind of threat from Pakistan and China”
— General V.K. Singh, Chief of the Army Staff
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Opinions

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Guys, tomorrow is 20 Oct 2010, the anniversary of the 1962 battle on the NAMKA CHU.

Frontier India will be running an article on Bhagwan Dutt Dogra, Maha Vir Chakra. He was taken POW by the Chinese. We will give you his account on the war. I won't be online to link it to you. You can check at 12. Am (IST). I might be late. Its very good account.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yeah. Thanks. Would you like interview a veteran doctor of the Battle of Chusul? E-mail me the questions and will forward to him.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ramana,

Definitely. One small point. ramana_56, right? I will be in touch with you.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

right.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

After two decades, Muslim officer to command Srinagar-based 15 Corps
Lt Gen Hasnain, who has served several stints in the Valley including a recent one as the Divisional Commander at Baramulla, is also the senior-most serving Muslim officer of the Indian Army. The officer, who is known for his academic leanings in military circles, is the only serving Lt Gen in Army ranks belonging to the minority community and is a second generation Army officer.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

1,514 FIRs against Army personnel in J&K, 97% cases false
TOI reports..
Over 100 Armymen including 48 officers have faced punitive action in cases related to human right violations in Jammu and Kashmir over the last two decades, Army said on Wednesday. "As many as 1,514 FIRs have been registered against Army personnel for alleged human rights violations in the last 20 years of militancy", Brigadier General Staff (BGS), Northern Command, Sanjay Verma said.

He said that out of these 1,508 cases have been investigated while probe is continuing in the remaining six cases. "As many as 1,473 complaints - nearly 97 per cent of the cases-- were found false and baseless," Verma said. However, 35 cases (2.3 per cent of total cases) were found true, he said, adding that 104 Armymen including 48 officers have been punished for human rights violations in J&K.

"Our accountability is very strong. Our investigation and punishment in cases related to alleged human rights violations is very fast," the brigadier said, underscoring that there "is no room for mistakes. Army has alway maintained zero-tolerance to human rights violations," he said.

All operations are conducted as joint operations with the police, they said adding that recoveries made, detainees and bodies of those killed are immediately handed over to the local police.

"No unilateral arrests or searches are made. All actions are based on hard actionable intelligence," they said, adding that Army has discontinued crowd control measures and has left the task to the state police. "No women are searched until women police personnel are present during the operation," they said.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I just didn't understand one thing in this report.
However, 35 cases (2.3 per cent of total cases) were found true, he said, adding that 104 Armymen including 48 officers have been punished for human rights violations in J&K.

Does that mean that in 35 cases, a total of 104 soldiers were punished? Or is the 104 figure separate from the 35 cases one?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
As per my comprehension of the statement, the "104" figure includes all the personnel that were punished including those against whom no complain was registered by Civilian Authorities. While 35 cases are the cases which were registered by Civilians (either by Civilians or through Civil Authority).
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Very good article. I didn't know BD Dogra was SFF also :shock:
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

42 Terror Camps Active; Terroist Infrastructure Growing in Pakistan says Indian Army Chief
"Currently, 42 terrorist training camps are located in Pakistan/PoK. Inputs reveal that some new camps have also been established in PoK for undertaking terrorist training"
"It is assessed that Pakistan will continue to foster terrorism against India and the terrorist infrastructure is likely to remain intact in the foreseeable future"
"Launch pads are used extensively for infiltration into Jammu & Kashmir and are located all along the Line of Control and parts of International Border ... As on date, approximately 600 terrorists are located in the launch pads, poised for infiltration in the near future."
"It is assessed that Pakistan will continue to foster terrorism against India and the terrorist infrastructure is likely to remain intact in the foreseeable future."
"Inputs also reveal use of terrorist tanzeem (groups) sponsored madrasas for religious indoctrination of new recruits,"
-- Indian Army Chief V.K. Singh
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

My father-in-law used to be the RMO for one of the battalions when the Chinese overran them in NEFA. They were told that the Chinese would be overrunning their position in 10 minutes and all the officers were to evacuate their position ASAP and the Non-Coms to burn everything left behind.

The NCOs and some soldiers were captured but escaped (as my FIL found out later). He and the other officers had an harrowing experience getting back. The Chinese had overtaken them and they had to tread carefully. With no food available, insufficient clothing and footwear.
When they slept at night in the jungle the slugs would get into their noses and get so enlarged that they would be stuck in the nostril.
He mentions having Rs.200. in his pocket but no food to buy. (He never wastes food - when his grand-kids cannot finish their food in a restaurant - he does even though he had already had his meal - it is something he has never forgotten).
He being a Dr. was of high demand among the Chinese. Some of the Medical officers never came back (repatriated). My MIL talks of the fear of not knowing (MIL was serving in Simla), considering that a course mate of theirs (FIL & MIL), a Bengali gentleman who used to play the Harmonica and sang very well, was captured by the Chinese - never to be heard of again.
These officers, i.e, the young ones of the 1962 war, are in their 70's, and we as a Nation should start recording their eyewitness stories and experiences so that the new generation does not forget, the youth that these brave soldiers left back on the Mountains and Valleys of NEFA and Ladakh. India is shining today on the back of their efforts amongst others.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Sanju ji, would it be possible for you to get your FIL pen his experience in an article ?
we would be more than happy to host it on BR mainsite.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sanju, I second that. Please do tlak to your FIL and MIL about the experiences. Also ask FIL about another RMO at Chusul, RM Mathur who retired as Brigadier in medical services.

This is ASAP.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Ramana & Rahul,

I missed the boat with my Father ( and it will be a regret that I will always carry with me). The last time my in-laws were here I recorded their experience for their grand-children. My FIL is not keeping in good health, but I will contact them ASAP. I will start with the Video and then take it from there.

Thank you for your enthusiasm - I hope that I won't let you good folks down.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Flurry of Wargames on Anvil to Boost Military Diplomacy
Flurry of Wargames on Anvil to Boost Military Diplomacy
Rajat Pandit

TNN, Oct 20, 2010, 01.56am IST

NEW DELHI: Indian armed forces have chalked out a stunning round of combat exercises with foreign forces in the coming several months to use "defence diplomacy" as a tool to bolster national security as well as promote strategic cooperation.

Defence ministry officials say the 1.13-million Army alone has planned 14 to 18 exercises with countries ranging from the US, UK and Russia to Bangladesh, Mongolia, Thailand and Tajiskistan, both at home and abroad.

For instance, the armies of Seychelles and Singapore will be in Belgaum and Deolali in January for joint combat exercises with Indian soldiers.

Similar is the case with Navy and IAF. Indian warships will hold combat manoeuvres with French warships, including nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, during the "Varuna" wargames on the high seas in January.

"Indian and French navies and air forces have build a high-level of interoperability through such exercises...We have a strategic partnership," said visiting French chief of defence staff Admiral Edouard Guillaud.

The US, of course, is Leading the Charge in this "Interoperability" Game, with Indian and American armed forces holding a Staggering 60 or so Wargames over the Last Decade.

Many more are in the offing. After the "Malabar" naval wargames on the western coast, the "Habu Nag" amphibious exercise at Okinawa (Japan) and the "Vajra Prahar" counter-terrorism drills at Belgaum earlier in the year, around 200 Indian soldiers are now leaving for Alaska to take part in the "Balance Iroquois" exercise with American special forces.

Despite Defence minister A K Antony always being Eager to Downplay the Expansive Indo-US defence Relationship, the armed forces of the two nations have set a Scorching Pace in their Bilateral Engagement. Of the 64 Exercises conducted by the Army between 2001 and 2009, well over One-Third were with the US.

"The US is the only superpower around...We learn a lot from exercising with them. With the vast counter-insurgency experience of our professional forces, we also teach them a lot," said a senior officer.

"In fact, many countries want to learn counter-terrorism as well as mountain and jungle warfare skills from us. The aim is to learn doctrinal and operational lessons from each other," he added.

The wargames come at a time when two major exercises are underway in India. "Indra" is taking place with Russia at Chaubattia in Uttarakhand, with crack troops from the Indian 99 Mountain Brigade and Russian 34 Independent Mountain Infantry Brigade.

Incidentally, the two countries are scheduled to hold another big exercise next year.

Indra-Dhanush air combat wargames between IAF and British Royal Air Force are on at Kalaikunda airbase in West Bengal. While RAF has deployed its spanking new Eurofighter Typhoon fighters, E-3D AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) and VC-10 mid-air refuellers, IAF is participating with Sukhoi-30MKIs, Mirage-2000s, MiG-27s and the Phalcon AWACS.

"The exercise will prove to be a boon for both nations to finetune their procedures for multi-national operations, which are likely to happen with greater frequency in the future," said Eastern Air Command deputy-chief Air Marshal L K Malhotra.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sanju

BR army admins have been trying in vain to get the veterans sections started.

Any effort you could would be great. Please record whatevr you can , stories, anecdotes images and then contact the BR admins for hosting it if your FIL is Ok with it
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Surya,
I will call him tonight and will get back. There is another person that I have in mind, I will get His number and speak to him too. I will try from my side.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

But please do check on the name I posted. If so, I can let him also know.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

^^Will do.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBjJQA0t ... r_embedded

'Cambrian Patrol 2010. The Pak Army won it. The Indian Army also participated.

A team of soliders beat some of the major armies of the world to win the Gold Award at the 'Cambrian Patrol' Exercise held in Wales.

the event was organised by the British Army Other nations particpating included armies of India, Australia, Canada, United States and France.

Over 700 soldiers from across the world travlled to the Brecon Beacons and were tested on their soldiering skills.

Team had to complete observation and reconnaissance of enemy forces, cold-river crossings in full kit without access to boats, first-aid and defensive shooting under attack.
http://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/world/ ... _toughest/
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ramana,

Got my mail?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

rkhanna wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBjJQA0t ... r_embedded
issance of enemy forces, cold-river crossings in full kit without access to boats, first-aid and defensive shooting under attack.
http://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/world/ ... _toughest/
There were such games for SF in South Africa. Injuns beat pakis.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

From the horse's :mrgreen:

http://www.army.mod.uk/events/events/19821.aspx
The Cambrian Patrol is an exercise and not a competition. It is conducted for the benefit of units and there is no final order of merit. The exercise is designed to be within the capability of any well-led and well-trained patrol from any Arm or Service. The exercise is the same for Regular and Reserve Forces patrols.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Also from the horse's mouth:

STANDARDS
8. The level of award will depend on the patrol completing all aspects of the exercise, in particular the mission phase. Awards are:

a. Gold:
75% or more of the points available.

b. Silver: 65-74% of the points available.

c. Bronze: 55-64% of the points available.

d. Certificate: Completed the exercise in the time allowed and scored less than 55% of the points available.

----

This from New Zealand 2007 is amusing - their battle field evacuation beat a record - which can be taken in a silly way as well, like the Italian army tank's one forward gear and five reverse gears :)
Two teams of engineers from Linton-based 2 Engineer Regiment have won gold and silver awards at the arduous Cambrian Patrol competition in Wales. The awards are the highest ever scored by a New Zealand team entered in the event.
The team led by Lieutenant Rodney Masters received a gold medal, and Lieutenant Nathan Williams’ team won silver.

Cambrian Patrol is held in the rugged mountainous area of Brecon, in mid-Wales, and is seen as one of the toughest military patrolling events in the world. Over two days each eight-person team is tested on its physical fitness, patrol techniques, combat first aid, deep river crossing skills, weapon-handling and battle-field evacuation. The average time for the latter skill is 32 minutes; in past competitions the fastest time a patrol has achieved what is required is 19 minutes. LT Masters’ team achieved its aim in 18 minutes.
Also
(2007) Fifty-six patrols entered the competition, of which 18 were internal United Kingdom teams, and the rest were from various countries, including New Zealand, the United States and Australia. Of the 56 teams, 16, including a British Commando team, did not finish the competition because of injury.