Indian Naval Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by Singha »

is the P17A a modified FREMM design ? there were reports of IN being willing
to spend up $700 mil per ship to obtain the latest western designs and equipment for this line to finally close the technology gap in next-gen FFG/DDG.
Drevin
BRFite

Post by Drevin »

How come the VTOL is still in development when it is so inefficient
the difference is the emergence of the "lift-fan" break-thru in aviation.
i think if you google it up ...... the coupled lift fan concept generates more thrust than expected. (An interesting difference is that lift fan directs cold air downwards whereas all previous vtol aircraft would redirect hot gases downwards causing a list of problems)

The Yak and Harrier didn't use this concept thats why they were inefficient.

jmt
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Russia to lease only one nuclear sub to India - official

MOSCOW, June 22 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian government official dismissed on Monday media rumors that Russia planned to lease several nuclear submarines to India, saying a contract envisioned only the transfer of the Nerpa vessel.

"We will lease only one submarine. In my opinion, India needs the sub more for enhancing its prestige rather than for accomplishing specific goals," Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, deputy head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, said in an exclusive interview with RIA Novosti { so its all about H&D :roll: }

India reportedly paid $650 million for a 10-year lease of the 12,000-ton K-152 Nerpa, an Akula II class nuclear-powered attack submarine.

Indian media have reported that the construction of the vessel was partially financed by the government.

On November 8, 2008, while the Nerpa was undergoing sea trials in the Sea of Japan, its on-board fire suppression system went off, releasing a deadly gas into the sleeping quarters. Three submariners and 17 shipyard workers were killed. There were 208 people, 81 of them submariners, on board the vessel at the time.

According to Russian navy officials, the trials will resume in early July and the submarine will be delivered to India by the end of 2009.

Akula II class vessels are considered the quietest and deadliest of all Russian nuclear-powered attack submarines.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

That official is so right...its only a bloody waste of money. Your better off spending that money trying to develop the north-east or some other place.
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

[quote="Austin"]Russia to lease only one nuclear sub to India - official

We have been saying the same thing on BR from a long time that the deal is for onlee one Akula. DDM's converted Akula II to 2 Akulas.

About H&D... :mrgreen:
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

viveks wrote:That official is so right...its only a bloody waste of money. Your better off spending that money trying to develop the north-east or some other place.
Akula can be used as a Training platform till ATV and Next home made SSBN is inducted,and also u can right away use it in war scenario also.akula has more things to do than just "Prestige"
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

regarding training, I am skeptical about the training value Akula will provide. We can assume most of its critical systems (nuclear powerplant and sensitive equipment) will still be operated by Russians as they did in case of INS Chakra.

Also its deployment during war time is not assured, as Russians wont allow nuclear tipped weapons to be deployed abroad this platform.

IMHO IN should invest in developing simulators to train its sailors on such boats. But one cannot rule out invaluable hands on experience to operate nuclear sub.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

http://indiannavy.gov.in/t2t2e/Trans2Tr ... 20arm1.htm
Lease of Russian Nuclear Submarine

In 1988, a nuclear submarine was leased from the Russian Navy. It was commanded and manned by Indian naval personnel and commissioned as CHAKRA. She was returned to Russia in 1991.

During this three year lease period, the Navy was able to better understand:

(a) Nuclear submarine culture and the practical aspects of handling nuclear power plants afloat.

(b) The tactical benefits of underwater launched anti-ship missiles.

(c) Anti submarine operations against nuclear submarines.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

"We will lease only one submarine. In my opinion, India needs the sub more for enhancing its prestige rather than for accomplishing specific goals," Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, deputy head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, said in an exclusive interview with RIA Novosti { so its all about H&D :roll: }
Just means that the boat will not come with any major armaments.

But then India is also getting it to get some practice to drive a nuke-sub. ???
Vinito
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vinito »

Drevin wrote:
How come the VTOL is still in development when it is so inefficient
the difference is the emergence of the "lift-fan" break-thru in aviation.
i think if you google it up ...... the coupled lift fan concept generates more thrust than expected. (An interesting difference is that lift fan directs cold air downwards whereas all previous vtol aircraft would redirect hot gases downwards causing a list of problems)

The Yak and Harrier didn't use this concept thats why they were inefficient.

jmt
doesnt the latest Yak design also utilise a similar VSTOL mechanism as the JSF? When I saw the video in the "udarnaja sila" defence series the it shows all the features as the JSF i.e. lift fan, downward moving nozzle etc.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Saw P-17 Shivalik today at Mumbai port standing next to Delhi class ship. I guess she had returned from sea. I have pictures too, Is it ok to post them? Mods kindly advise.
If yes give me 2 days time they are in my friends cam.
Regards,
Khambat Dagha.
Khambat, when will you post the Shivalik pictures? Please contact the navy site webmasters for assistance.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I believe in the backdrop of Obama admin's emphasis on reducing WMD , resuming the START ,cooperation on NP and BMD it is obvious that Amrika bahadur might have taken up the issue of leasing of Akula's with RU and who knows pressurized RU into limiting the number to one.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

negi wrote:I believe in the backdrop of Obama admin's emphasis on reducing WMD , resuming the START ,cooperation on NP and BMD it is obvious that Amrika bahadur might have taken up the issue of leasing of Akula's with RU and who knows pressurized RU into limiting the number to one.

IMHO, the Russians took the funds for more than one Akula and funded just one Akula (the Gorky syndrome). This I think is a funding issue. So, IF India plunks more funds they will lease as may as India wants.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ I don't think so for had it been the case they would have promptly asked for more for they know Indians would oblige. :lol:
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

US firm to provide maintenance for weapons on board Navy ship

http://idrw.org/?p=78#more-78

US Defence firm Raytheon has signed an agreement with India’s Elcom Marine Company to provide spare support for the maintenance of Phalanx close-in weapon system on board Indian Navy’s INS Jalashwa amphibious warship.

“We have signed an agreement with Elcom Marine to provide them the spares and other systems with which they can support the two Phalanx systems on the INS Jalashwa,” Raytheon Vice President Denny Carroll said during the Paris Air show.

India had procured the INS Jalashwa (formerly known as USS Trenton) from the US in 2007 for around $50 million and the ship has two Phalanx systems on it along with six helicopters.

Raytheon is also close to signing another agreement with Elcom which will help the company to do the annual maintenance of the close-in weapon system for the Indian Navy.

Carroll said that Raytheon has also offered to upgrade the two systems of the Navy with the latest configuration.

“We have already offered to upgrade the systems on board the Jalashwa to Phalanx 1B configuration, which is the latest version of the system,” he informed.

He added that Raytheon is ready to offer the system for other ships of Indian Navy also. The weapon system on board the ship protects it against the threat from incoming missiles and other airborne threats.

Raytheon has signed 13 different MoUs with various Indian companies, including Tata Advance Systems Ltd, to expand its presence in the country’s defence market.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 22nd, 2009 at 3:22 PM and is filed under India. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Edit this entry.
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

kit wrote:
Andrew DeCristofaro wrote:spending 45000 crore rupees or 9 billion US for 7 frigates or 1.3 billion US per frigate and this is outrageous and people calling gorshkov costly :D

then how much p15b will cost along with next line of submarine??????

and India can't even produce shafts and propellers for ships just look at p15a.

I think a part of the 9 billion is spent on modernising the shipyards to undertake modular construction and newer ship building technologies to incorporate the Indian stealth features.
Ya,I am agree with you.Crores of money will go to the modernization of MDL and GRSE for new stuff.So it is part of P17A's cost
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Guys, take the Rs 40,000 crore figure with a load of salt, the figure last reported (March 2009 by Ajai shukla was no where near that.
Vinito
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vinito »

karan_mc wrote:US firm to provide maintenance for weapons on board Navy ship

http://idrw.org/?p=78#more-78

US Defence firm Raytheon has signed an agreement with India’s Elcom Marine Company to provide spare support for the maintenance of Phalanx close-in weapon system on board Indian Navy’s INS Jalashwa amphibious warship.

“We have signed an agreement with Elcom Marine to provide them the spares and other systems with which they can support the two Phalanx systems on the INS Jalashwa,” Raytheon Vice President Denny Carroll said during the Paris Air show.

India had procured the INS Jalashwa (formerly known as USS Trenton) from the US in 2007 for around $50 million and the ship has two Phalanx systems on it along with six helicopters.

Raytheon is also close to signing another agreement with Elcom which will help the company to do the annual maintenance of the close-in weapon system for the Indian Navy.

Carroll said that Raytheon has also offered to upgrade the two systems of the Navy with the latest configuration.

“We have already offered to upgrade the systems on board the Jalashwa to Phalanx 1B configuration, which is the latest version of the system,” he informed.

He added that Raytheon is ready to offer the system for other ships of Indian Navy also. The weapon system on board the ship protects it against the threat from incoming missiles and other airborne threats.

Raytheon has signed 13 different MoUs with various Indian companies, including Tata Advance Systems Ltd, to expand its presence in the country’s defence market.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 22nd, 2009 at 3:22 PM and is filed under India. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Edit this entry.
I feel that the Phalanx will be a good retrofit option for existing ships which have the AK-630 CIWS system e.g. Delhi class or even the Kora class ships. Against the KAshtan system it will be evenly matched or the Russian system may even have an upper hand in terms of a missile/gun combination.

Does the US of A continue to use DU bullets for the Phalanx or have they replaced all with tungsten rounds?
soutikghosh
BRFite

Post by soutikghosh »

What is the difference between USN P-8 and IN's P-8I.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

NRao wrote:

IN already has considerable nuke driving and operating practice courtesy the earlier Chakra.

This will help us train crews and gain operational expertise to be fast tracked on the ATVs
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Vinito wrote:
I feel that the Phalanx will be a good retrofit option for existing ships which have the AK-630 CIWS system e.g. Delhi class or even the Kora class ships. Against the KAshtan system it will be evenly matched or the Russian system may even have an upper hand in terms of a missile/gun combination.

Does the US of A continue to use DU bullets for the Phalanx or have they replaced all with tungsten rounds?
Kashtan is better than Phalanx and it does not make sense to replace Ak-630 with Phalanx which in some ways is inferior and lot more expensive (10-20 million). However RAM/Sea-RAM will make good replacement for AK-630 however Barak makes better alternative with its 360 degree coverage. Keep in mind Ak-630 are license manufactured by L&T? now.
to spend up $700 mil per ship to obtain the latest western designs and equipment for this line to finally close the technology gap in next-gen FFG/DDG.
Singha, I would place my bets on modified version of delta class frigate, i do not think IN would invest in new unproven design. One of the reason russians did not win.
Srivastav
BRFite

Post by Srivastav »

^^ delta class is a modified formidable/ la fayette class right, or is it another design ?
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

Maz,
Surely by EOD!

Regards,
Khambat Dagha.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

soutikghosh wrote:What is the difference between USN P-8 and IN's P-8I.
Very relevant question , soutik.Why dont you try to dig up the relevant info, try google and blogs.And actually they are a bit different.American Poseidons are designed to operate along with a sidekick :) .. but why dont you see how much you can find out :)
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

NRao wrote:

also does it prove that most of controls on board ATV will bear extreme resemblance to that on Nerpa . As some gentleman quoted above that Russians will be taking care of critical tasks related that to reactor and if indeed the similarity is no there then i wonder what substantially will the crew actually gain other long endurance training or operational procedures on that Russian hardware that will stnad irrelevant on ATV ??

And IIRC then IN can in fact use Nerpa In case of war
SanjibGhosh
BRFite

Post by SanjibGhosh »

Russian nuclear subs for India - one or two?

http://www.domain-b.com/defence/general ... ear_4.html
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

chetak wrote:IN already has considerable nuke driving and operating practice courtesy the earlier Chakra.
No, Chakra was returned in 91, its 2011 "now" in twenty years the entire "operating a nuke sub" expertise has been lost. (The men have retired etc) The initial learning has gone into the expertise of "making" ATV but the "operations" need to be relearned by a bunch of brand new Sailors.

----------------

To all --

Also no one knows that Russians will be "taking care of critical parts" its just a balloon that's been floated. It certainly was not the case with first Chakra.

Thirdly its a TEN year lease. GoI would not want a training boat for 10 years. (GoI can be foolish yes but not stupid) -- so clearly the Chakra lease has multiple purposes -- including perhaps trial of systems meant for ATV on a test boat.
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Sanku Sir

But what deterrence we are trying to impact with one Akula . seriously i don't see First ATV fully deployed before First half of next decade has whisked off. Frankly Nuke subs are targeted toward PLAN who are having a large and effective force as we don't need them to take care of Pakistani navy

You need to have at least two in order show some teeth . else akula willingly or unwillingly will become only a training platform with Indian Navy
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Parshuram, I will not claim to know all that IN has in mind for the Akula, however there are some very basic and important uses we can put Akula to immediately if there is a mind to -- some of it has been discussed above already. Specifically towards deterrence, w.r.t.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akula_class_submarine
Whereas the Russian Navy's Akula-II submarine is equipped with 28 nuclear-capable cruise missiles with a striking range of 3,000 kilometers, the Indian version was reportedly expected to be armed with the 300 km range 3M-54 Klub nuclear-capable missiles.[7]. Missiles with ranges greater than 300 kilometers cannot be exported due to arms control restrictions, since Russia is a signatory to the MTCR treaty.
Club spec
Weight Varies on variant, from 1,300 kg to 2300 kg
Length Varies on variant, from 8.22 m to 6.2 m
Diameter 0.533 m

Possibly there are missiles under development in India which can use this other than the club?

It also has the following
and four 650 mm torpedo tubes which can use Type 65 torpedoes or the SS-N-16 Stallion missile.
Can these take in Brahmos, hypersonic long range Brahmos?
Last edited by Sanku on 23 Jun 2009 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

soutikghosh wrote:What is the difference between USN P-8 and IN's P-8I.
They can use it too attack PN , we cannt
SanjibGhosh
BRFite

Post by SanjibGhosh »

India's Defense Modernization Highlights Naval Designs

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/article.aspx?id=3965
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Akula II with Nuclear tipped Hypersonic Long Ranged Brahmos.
ATV with Nuclear tipped Hypersonic Shouryas :eek:
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

Give me 1 more day my friends, still trying to fix my PC on which photos are there :(

Regards,
Khambat Dagha.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

p_saggu wrote:Akula II with Nuclear tipped Hypersonic Long Ranged Brahmos.
ATV with Nuclear tipped Hypersonic Shouryas :eek:
Nyet, dont over react mon ami. I am merely pointing to the range of missiles currently available to Akula II and pointing that it can for russia fire a 3000 KM cruise missile --> my speculation is that it may be used for similar missile systems in India (which can not publicly be talked about because of unwanted attention) We are talking of a 10+ year time frame for Akula.

Surely 10 years back folks would have :eek: :shock: about PAD, AAD, Shourya etc.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

To begin with, the Akula II will be the test bed for the sub-launched BRAHMOS, sub-launched Nirbhay etc.
Only the 650mm torpedo tubes can fire the Brahmos, and only the Akula has those.

Brahmos II when it arrives will be deployed in the subs in due course.
vishnu.nv
BRFite

Post by vishnu.nv »

i don't know whether its been posted here previously an old press release from CSL.
http://cochinshipyard.com/press/press41.html

1 February 2009

PRESS BRIEF - Cochin Shipyard lays the keel of the first INDIGENOUS AIRCRAFT CARRIER (IAC)

1. The keel of the First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier for the Indian Navy is scheduled to be laid on Saturday, 28 Feb 2009 at 1100 hrs. The keel will be laid by Shri A K Antony, Hon'ble Raksha Mantri at Cochin Shipyard in the presence of Admiral Sureesh Mehta, Chief of the Naval Staff, Indian Navy. Senior Politicians, Senior Naval Officers and dignitaries were present. Shri M Jitendran, CMD, CSL welcomed the gathering.

2. In partnership with Indian Navy, CSL would be one among the few shipyards of the world to have attempted to construct the Aircraft Carrier. This is indeed a proud moment in the history of Cochin Shipyard. For the yard, which has wide experience in commercial building of all varieties of ships, this is the first project in Warship construction. CSL was selected for this challenging project based on its technical expertise, inherent strength in detailed engineering, capacity to innovate, reputation for ontime delivery and modern infrastructure. The yard commenced the steel cutting for this project in April 2005 and has achieved the keel laying as per schedule.

3. The design and construction of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier was sanctioned by the Govt. of India in Jan 2003. This is the most prestigious project, which the Indian Navy has taken up so far. The design and construction of this ship is a technical complexity whose dimensions far outstrip any such challenge faced hitherto by the Indian Naval Designers. With this project, India joins the select club of 40,000 T plus aircraft carrier designers and builders. Indigenous Aircraft Carrier designed by Navy's Design Organisation and being built at M/s Cochin Shipyard Limited would be capable of operating an aircraft mix of Russian MiG-29K, Ka31 and indigenous LCA.

4.The ship has a length of 260 m and max breadth of 60 m. The ship will be propelled by two shafts, each coupled to two LM2500 Gas Turbines developing a total power of 80 MW, sufficient to attain speeds in excess of 28 knots. The ship has an endurance of around 8,000 NM and complement of 1600. The ship will have two takeoff runways and a landing strip with 3 arrester wires. It can carry a maximum of 30 aircraft with adequate hangarage capacity. The carrier is designed with a very high degree of automation for machinery operation, ship navigation and survivability.

5. Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LR SAM) system with Multi-Function Radar (MFR) and Close In Weapon System (CIWS) is envisaged for the carrier. The ship will be equipped with the most modern C/D band early Air Warning Radar, V/UHF Tactical Air Navigational and Direction Finding systems. The carrier would also be having jamming capabilities over the expected Electro Magnetic (EM) environment, along with Carrier Control Approach Radars to aid air operations. Integration of all weapon systems onboard the carrier would be through an indigenous Combat Management System (CMS).The ship's integration with Navy's Network Centric Operations would provide forced multiplication.

6.Design of this prestigious ship has been undertaken by the Directorate of Naval Design (DND) which has an experience of over 40 years in successfully designing 17 different classes of warships, to which around 90 ships have already been built within the country. It is also pertinent to mention that DND is the only Govt. organisation in the world today undertaking indigenous design of warships. Delhi class destroyers are the biggest warships built so far to indigenous design. These ships are operating successfully over last 10 years and have demonstrated their design superiority when INS Delhi withstood extremely adverse weather conditions and high sea states while encountering typhoons during the ship's passage in the South China sea in 1995.

7.The production of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier commenced in Nov 06 and large number of blocks have already been fabricated, which are under erection. Major equipment to be installed in lower decks of the ship have been ordered. The ship is being constructed using high strength steel developed in-house with the help of DRDO and SAIL.

8.In order to optimize on build period of IAC, Ministry of Defence advanced to CSL approx Rs 200 Crores to augment infrastructure in areas such as large cranes, workshops, heavy duty machinery etc. Separately, the Ministry of Shipping through planning commission gave sanction of Rs. 98.63 crores for creation of a small ship division in CSL so that commercial shipbuilding can be continued during the pendency of the IAC Project. This is 50% complete and balance will be commissioned this year whereby CSL will have parallel product mix.

9.The ship construction is planned in 02 phases. 1st phase covers work upto first launch in end 2010. 2nd phase would cover all balance work till delivery of the ship to the Navy in end 2014.Assistance for propulsion system integration and aviation aspects have been taken from M/s Fincantieri of Italy and M/s NDB of Russia respectively.

10.In its quest to grow into an international shipyard of repute the yard increased its product line to include double hull bulk carriers and later Platform Supply Vessels and Anchor Handlers. Diesel electric propulsion is now being introduced in these hi tech ships. More than 24 Ships have been delivered to foreign owners in the last four years.The yard posted an all time high net profit after tax of Rs 93 crores for the year 2007-08 on a record income of Rs 967 crores. Performance of the company for the year 2007-08 under the MOU signed with GOI was rated as "Excellent". The company was conferred with the category I "Miniratna" status in July 2008. The company is hoping to keep up the performance levels this year too, despite the global melt down.
Vinito
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vinito »

John wrote:
Vinito wrote:

Kashtan is better than Phalanx and it does not make sense to replace Ak-630 with Phalanx which in some ways is inferior and lot more expensive (10-20 million). However RAM/Sea-RAM will make good replacement for AK-630 however Barak makes better alternative with its 360 degree coverage. Keep in mind Ak-630 are license manufactured by L&T? now.

The reason I had mentioned that the AK-630 could be replaced with the Phalanx was due to the fact it has its own guidance system compared to the AK-630 that depends on the ships systems to provide guidance thereby resulting in a higher reaction time.

With regards to the Kashtan to Phalanx comparison I agree with your viewpoint.
Singha, I would place my bets on modified version of delta class frigate, i do not think IN would invest in new unproven design. One of the reason russians did not win.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Shiv Aroor's blog says that Boeing/Bell are going to present V-22 Osprey to the Indian Navy for ship-borne AEW&C platform. :eek: :eek:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KrishG wrote:Shiv Aroor's blog says that Boeing/Bell are going to present V-22 Osprey to the Indian Navy for ship-borne AEW&C platform. :eek: :eek:

Dec, 2006 :: New Delhi to step up contest for new reconnaissance platforms, while interest in V-22 Osprey emerges
Naidu
BRFite

Post by Naidu »

KrishG wrote:Shiv Aroor's blog says that Boeing/Bell are going to present V-22 Osprey to the Indian Navy for ship-borne AEW&C platform. :eek: :eek:
After USMC and USN pretty much killed the Osprey program (it is still on life support due to political reasons), Boeing/Bell are left with schlepping it around the world to see if they can get some barkas interested in it. IN shouldn't touch with even a barge pole.