Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Dmurphy »

After long wait, IAF to get first Phalcon AWACS on May 20
The delaying tactics are still on...May 18th has become May 20th! :evil:

Excerpt from the article above
Incidentally, IAF and Navy are also on course to induct nine more Israeli Aerostat radars as a "follow-on'' order to the two such EL/M-2083 radars procured in 2004-2005 for $145 million.
Wow! 9 more radars? and we already have 2 since 2004-05? :)
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Callin AUSTIN

Austin you had posted a pdf file "Basic and Applied Problems of Stealth Technologies....N Lagar'kov and M.A. Pogosyan" in KeyFora about a month ago... it is not available for download as more than 10downloads have happened..

Can you please post it here..

If anyone has a copy please upload it somewhere and post download link.. please
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Dmurphy wrote:After long wait, IAF to get first Phalcon AWACS on May 20
The delaying tactics are still on...May 18th has become May 20th! :evil:

Excerpt from the article above
Incidentally, IAF and Navy are also on course to induct nine more Israeli Aerostat radars as a "follow-on'' order to the two such EL/M-2083 radars procured in 2004-2005 for $145 million.
Wow! 9 more radars? and we already have 2 since 2004-05? :)
I am just happy that at long last we are getting the AWACS...
Rahul M wrote:
Bala Vignesh wrote:....
Thanks Rahul, But i would appreciate if you'd tell me how to do it here... As i might need it some where else too...
just that there's a 24 hour period I think, after which the edit button expires, set so by forum SW.
it looks like this : Image at bottom right corner of your post.
Thanks Rahul.. will keep it in mind...
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

This link is saying that the Russian Il-476 tanker version won the IAF tender for six new aerial tankers.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Vick wrote:This link is saying that the Russian Il-476 tanker version won the IAF tender for six new aerial tankers.
Who is playing psy-ops? :-?
The Russians or the Europeans(A-330 deal was supposed to have been "almost signed")?
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Is that Mig23 or M2K?
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Well, you have to apply the DDM filter for such news items, 'it' should show the photo of a MiG-23 but it is showing the photo of an M2K.
vivtho
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vivtho »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
HariC wrote:err. not me.

:D
But the IAF probably did at some point. there was a demonstration in some firepower display an year or so back when IAF An-32s apparently displayed their bomb dropping for the first time. but never saw any pictures of that
I suppose the legacy of using transports as modified bombers has been there since the Indo-Pak wars with AN-12s etc. But in today's battlefield, is it still valid? Are we that short on bomb trucks that we need to push the transports in too?

Hence my original question: why?
We don't necessarily have to use them out of desperation or shortage of bomb trucks. Sometimes, nothing else is suitable for the job. The best example that comes to mind is the C-130 Hercules and the BLU-82 7500kg bomb. The concept was good enough that the follow on weapon to the BLU-82, the MOAB is still intended to be dropped off C-130s.

On a somewhat bigger scale, we have a test where a C-5 Galaxy performed an air launch of a Minuteman ICBM.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Any updates on LCH front??
last time ajai shukla reported that TD-1 will be flying by march 2009 :?:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

saptarishi,

ONLY as a FYI.

JSF was FIRST offered when George Fernandes was the defense minister.

And. most recently (posted earlier) LM offered ToT (for what it is worth). (Just google and you should find it or go back a few pages.)
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Great news! Hope IJT is cleared for induction at the earliest!!

HAL’s intermediate jet trainer HJT-36 makes maiden flight with Russian engine - Ravi Sharma
BANGALORE: Overcoming numerous integration issues the indigenous intermediate jet trainer (IJT) Hindustan Jet Trainer-36 (HJT-36) presently under development at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has crossed a major milestone making its maiden flight with the Russian AL-551 engine.

Piloted by HAL’s Executive Director Squadron Leader (retd) Baldev Singh and the Indian Air Force’s (IAF’s) Wing Commander K.D. Bhat, the HJT-36’s Prototype One (PT1) undertook a 30 minute flight on May 9 landing without any hitches. However, being the PT1’s maiden flight only general manoeuvres were gone through with, no major checks undertaken.

Though the new engine arrived in February HAL was faced with a number of issues during the integration of the engine with the aircraft’s other systems, not least being issues with the throttle control and the various indicators in the cockpit (which prompt the pilot to take corrective action).

Acknowledging the delays officials on the HJT-36 programme told The Hindu that the trainer’s Initial Operational Clearance could still be obtained by June 2010 since most of the engine integration issues were over. “Since the trainer’s avionics are already in place and it will carry only practice weapons — gun and rocket pods — we don’t see huge delays.”
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Air Marshal Barbora, new Vice Chief
NEW DELHI: Air Marshal P.K. Barbora, will be the new Vice Chief of Air Staff. Currently serving as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Air Command, he will assume charge as the Vice Chief from June 1.

The other major appointments that would come into effect from June 1, include Air Marshal N.V. Tyagi, who replaces Air Marshal Browne as the new Deputy Chief of Air Staff while Air Marshal D.C. Kumaria, replaces Air Marshal Tyagi as the new Senior Air Staff Officer , South Western Air Command at Gandhinagar. Air Vice Marshal A.K. Gogoi on promotion will take over as the new Director General Air (Operations) at Air Headquarters.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

kidoman
BRFite

Post by kidoman »

MIG-27 fighter aircraft crashes, 7 injured
Jodhpur (PTI): A MIG-27 fighter aircraft on a routine sortie crashed in a village in this district on Friday, injuring seven persons on the ground.
The pilot ejected safely after the crash took place around 8.30 am in Konkani village in Luni, 42 kms from Jodhpur, Defence PRO Lt Col N N Joshi said.
According to SP (Rural) Jodhpur, Sharad Kaviraj, seven persons on the ground were injured in the mishap, one of them seriously
Not good.Not good at all..
Thank God the pilot ejected safely, though.
Hope the guy seriously injured on ground recovers soon..
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

What does they mean he ejected after the crash?
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

Since it happened near Jodhpur, the crashed aircraft must have been the latest upgraded one! Its not good to lose such newly upgraded aircraft so soon!
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

To Shiv sir:

I finally got the LCA book that you had so kindly held on for me from the AI09. A mate of mine was coming to Melb in May and got it then.

Many thanks and apologies for getting you to hang on to it for this long.

Cheers,
Anand.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

MEA shoots down defence ministry's helicopter export (from Broadsword blog)

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... strys.html

WTF?? Even if it the export was for the military, so what? Our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot is unparalleled
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Someone needs to fire that no good for nothing who turned down the Bolivian request for a line of credit. I would tar and feather that fool myself. What an idiot. :evil:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Rakesh wrote:Someone needs to fire that no good for nothing who turned down the Bolivian request for a line of credit. I would tar and feather that fool myself. What an idiot. :evil:
I was thinking "traitor" because it occurred to me that if you were the competitor for the helicopter deal opposite the ALH, especially when the latter is highly competent performance wise speaking, why would you want to compete on technical grounds when you can pay off someone to include some red tape as a stumbling block for the other side to cross?

Especially when everything is available for sale in this country for very little price? If its something important like "National Interests", it may simply cost more.

No biggie.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think that the "Natasha lobby" might have something to do with this....

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20090522/155063590.html

Russia

Bolivia set to order weaponry from Russia - deputy FM

MOSCOW, May 22 (RIA Novosti) - Bolivia may order weaponry worth several million dollars from Russia in the near future, a deputy foreign minister said on Friday.

Sources earlier reported that Bolivia had expressed interest in buying a number of Russian-made Mi-17 multipurpose helicopters to combat terrorism and drug trafficking.

"As to purchases of military equipment, we are interested not only in helicopters, but also in other kinds of weaponry," Hugo Fernandez told a news conference at RIA Novosti.

"Agreements on the list of military equipment which we would like to purchase have not yet been reached, but we will return to this issue in several months. We are talking about several million dollars worth of weaponry," he added.

During the talks in Moscow in February, Russia and Bolivia signed a bilateral agreement on military-technical cooperation.

Moscow said it could offer La Paz a loan for the purchase of Russian-made weaponry, without specifying the amount.

However, Alexander Fomin, first deputy director of Russia's Federal Service for Military Cooperation, said on Thursday that the Russian defense industry had effectively "reached its ceiling" and could not take on any more contracts in the near future.

"The industry does not stretch like a rubber bag. As in other countries, [our industry] has its limits. That's an open secret," he said.

According to Fomin, Russia's foreign defense orders currently total $35 billion
I suppose some of our theorists here think the so called "Natasha" lobby is active only in the MoD, and no other ministry?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

krishnan wrote:What does they mean he ejected after the crash?
The journalist is saying "I will write crap and you will be able to do bugger all about. My job is secure and my editor is more dumb that I am because I only mis-report. He passes my report AND retains me. Now shoo!"
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

Mi-17 is not in the same class as dhruv. Lets wait and see.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

whilst MEA could have done the Fak-Ap, it is possible that both Unkil and Bhaloo arm twisted us in different ways to keep off the turf. Bolivia has got some pseudo-maoist issues flaring up of late
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Air Force chief sounds alert: China bigger threat

Extract: China has a standing army almost three times the size of Pakistan's, according to official figures and defence industry estimates, but it is the lack of knowledge about China's military that concerned Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major.

"We know very little about the actual capabilities of China, their combat edge or how professional their military is," Major told the Hindustan Times. "They are certainly a greater threat."
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

IAF did not drop Russia, it selected a better product that was from Europe!!!

IF the EADS product is better, why do these yahoo DDMs drag unrelated issues into the picture and make a mess out of a topic? IAF is still going with FGFA, perhaps he forgot that or better still is not aware of it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

NRao wrote:
IAF did not drop Russia, it selected a better product that was from Europe!!!

IF the EADS product is better, why do these yahoo DDMs drag unrelated issues into the picture and make a mess out of a topic? IAF is still going with FGFA, perhaps he forgot that or better still is not aware of it.
This piece is not a mere report but is a political commentary by Rahul Singh on what he thinks is the state of India Russia defence relations.

I have seen debates about whether "news portal" should merely report news, or use a news item to pass judgement or write a commentary showing one side or many sides of a debate. Rahul Singh is a senior enough correspondent to put in his own commentary and have it passed by the editor.

By doing this the Hindustan Times is placing itself on one side of a political debate by saying that India's action is leading to the loss of a billion dollars for Russia. It ignores the fact that the billion dollars is coming from India and India has to choose how to spend its billion before highlighting and lamenting Russia's loss.

I think BRF as a forum is gradually veering towards awareness of nuances of reporting by various sources and individual reporters. Maybe this item could do with a cross post into the tracking the media thread.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Spot on Shiv saar. The irony is these journalists will first put such reports with political views and then these same journalists will put reports like "Indian Air force loosing edge" and so on..

Whilst, reasons for such deals, justification and requirements of armed forces are completely overlooked. Such consequent misleading reports with political gains just adds to poor perception of defence forces in public domain.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

To ze esteemed "oldies" and ze "Bradminullahs" is there any way that the stuff that we have documented in the "errors in defense reporting" thread can be compiled and actually sent to the relevant culprits, so that they actually realise what kind of eff ups these buggers are doing...this is ofcourse just a suggestion and I will put me hands up for collating or putting it in format if ya'll wanna go ahead with it...

I understand that the confusion that this creates has its pros and cons in that if it confuses us so much I can only imagine how much confusion would it create to other "external parties" with vested interests that follow these developments, however it would be good to give DDM a platter of their effed up servings...I know a BRFite some time sent a very good letter off to one of the culprit DDMs some time back...JMT
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Chak De Phatte India !!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Israeli Phalcon AWACS Arrives in India

Why Phalcon AWACS Matter to India

Rediff » India

By the Way, Does Anybody know of Smilies Doing Bhangra , if so please give a link to the site.

Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Juggi G on 26 May 2009 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

Juggi G wrote:Chak De Phatte India !!!!!!!

Rediff » India

By the Way, Does Anybody know of Smilies Doing Bhangra , if so please give a link to the site.
it is really a great news........

what about the security features in AWACS .. i mean if there is a war obviously enemies first mission will be to shoot our AWACS... so how we can protect our bird
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

jimmy_moh wrote:
Juggi G wrote:Chak De Phatte India !!!!!!!

Rediff » India

it is really a great news........

what about the security features in AWACS .. i mean if there is a war obviously enemies first mission will be to shoot our AWACS... so how we can protect our bird
if an awacs cant protect itself by any coordinated means,then how will it protect cities? :)

IAF drops Russia from $1 bn deal
End-user verification pact with U.S. likely
a new thread 'ruski weapons sales to pigs' should be started right now
btw congratulations to IAF/Indian people/all brfites on awacs arrival Image
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Update on LCH
Well, there are some issues regarding the weight that are being sorted out. This has delayed its first flight. The first helicopter may fly this November, and that is not going to be the final variant. Our efforts to reduce the weight further would continue.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Sukhoi fleet resumes flying ; nearly after a month of crash
NEW DELHI: The frontline Sukhoi Su-30 MKI combat jets of the Indian Air Force have resumed flying nearly a month after the entire fleet was grounded following the crash of one of the aircraft that broke a 12-year accident-free record, an official said.

The aircraft are again being flown even as a 20-member team of Russian experts have been conducting checkups on them.

"The aircraft conducted a sortie last weekend," a senior Indian Air Force official said, but did not elaborate.

He, however, confirmed that the Russian team summoned to inspect the fleet is carrying on with the checks, inspecting the aircrafts' airframe and systems.

The IAF grounded its fleet of approximately 55 Russian-origin Su-30s after one of the aircraft crashed last week. Generally, an entire fleet is not grounded if an aircraft of a particular type crashes. In the case of the Su-30, however, there have been "recurring complaints" by pilots about problems with the jet.

The grounding of the Su-30 fleet has given rise to the alarming possibility of "structural faults" with the aircraft.

In a blot on its otherwise unblemished record, a Su-30 MKI crashed in Jaisalmer April 30, killing the co-pilot. The pilot, Wing Commander S.V. Munje, and the co-pilot, Wing Commander P.S. Narah, managed to bail out in time but Narah was killed after he was apparently hit by the falling debris of the aircraft.

Ironically, Narah belonged to the IAF's Directorate General of Inspections and Safety and was putting the aircraft through its annual safety checks.

The aircraft had taken off from the Lohegaon air base in Pune on a routine sortie and crashed at 10.30 a.m. while returning to its base.

The IAF operates three squadrons of the jet, some of which were bought in a fly-away condition from its Russian manufacturer while the others were manufactured under licence by state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

It was not immediately clear to which of these categories the crashed jet belonged.

The Su-30 has won universal acclaim from the air forces of the US, Britain and France whenever it has been fielded against them in war games. Eight Su-30s had participated in the prestigious Red Flag exercise with the US Air Force at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, last year and had more than held their own against the US' F/A-18 and F-16 combat jets.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

India Invites Bids For Combat, Heavy-Lift Helicopters-Official

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/art ... RTUNE5.htm
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

REFILE-India invites bids for $2 bln in helicopter deals
NEW DELHI, May 26 (Reuters) - India has invited bids for two separate defence projects worth more than $2 billion to arm its air force, a defence official and the country head of Boeing Co (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Tuesday.

The Indian Air Force is seeking 22 attack helicopters and at least 15 heavy-lift helicopters as it plans to replace its aging Soviet-era fleet with modern weapon systems.

"Boeing has received the Request for Proposals (RFPs) for the attack and heavylift helicopters and will review the requirements," Vivek Lall, India country head of Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems (IDS), told Reuters on Tuesday.

The two RFPs were issued on Monday and Tuesday, days after a new Congress-led coalition government was sworn in.

The government said it would prioritise defence and push forward pending projects to modernise its armed forces.

India is looking to spend more than $30 billion over the next five years to modernise its defence systems.

"We hope to hear from bidders soon on the two projects and speed up the procurement process," a defence ministry spokesman said.

Last June, India asked seven international companies to submit bids for supplying 22 attack helicopters, but the government cancelled the tender this March, saying the bidders did not meet requirements.

Boeing, which did not respond to that RFP for attack helicopters due to technical reasons, said it was keen to offer its Apache AH-64 helicopters this time around.

Separately, Boeing said it was also reviewing the other RFP to supply at least 15 heavy-lift helicopters to the air force.

Lall says the U.S. plane maker was interested in offering its Chinook CH-47 to India.

"We believe that Boeing's Apache and Chinook can provide the Indian Air Force with the most capable, proven and versatile platforms in their respective class," Lall said in New Delhi on Tuesday.

India will also soon hold field trials for the purchase of 126 fighter planes in a $10.4 billion contract that is one of the world's biggest current arms deals.

Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet, France's Dassault Rafale, Lockheed Martin Corp's (LMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) F-16, Russia's MiG-35, Sweden's Saab (SAABb.ST: Quote, Profile, Research) JAS-39 Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon, produced by a consortium of British, German, Italian and Spanish companies, are in the race for the lucrative fighter contract
Things surely appears to be moving faster past elections :twisted:
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

Airbus MRTT Tanker Tipped to Favorites for Indian Air Force USD 1 Billion Deal
The Indian Air Force has decided to buy the Airbus A330 multi-role tanker transport (MRTT) instead of the Russian built Ilyushin-78 air-to-air tanker, the Hindustan Times reported yesterday.
Gradual Drift from Russian dependency