Former BSF jawan in need of help

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Re: Former BSF jawan in need of help

Postby Jagan » 26 Aug 2009 12:04

Good Points Raja, GJ and Rajiv M

The post should be archived somewhere as an FAQ for such causes that keep coming up again and again.

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby nikhil_p » 27 Aug 2009 00:59

Hi Guys,

I am ready to volunteer for this...now and in the future as well. Here is what I propose to do...

Set up a Trust in the name of BR. The address could be my house as well. The senior members as trustees. (Please help with the legalities)
Open an account in the name of the trust.
I will look after the accounts with help from some other volunteers on the forum
All donations to the trust will be listed on a webpage within BRF for this.
When we identify a person (ex-services) who BRF could help, we pitch in with a corpus from the trust fund.
The interest that we earn as a trust from banks could then be used to award scholarships or something like that to the children of the servicemen.

The advantage of the trust is that
we can approach corporates to contribute to us.
we can organise shows/ etc.
Most importantly this will ensure continuity of effort rather than a knee jerk reaction.
e.g: Once this video is relegated to the back of our mind...we forget that we promised to help someone. instead of a one time fund for a person it is better if we could give him a bit of sustenance every month/quarter.

my e male
nikhilzmail at g mail dhot com

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Postby RamaY » 27 Aug 2009 02:05

^^^

God bless you my friend!

I will drop an email. I will also forward the two mail follow-ups I have received.

We will take it from there.

Katare
BRF Oldie

Postby Katare » 27 Aug 2009 04:50

I willing to help in anyway possible! Good karma!

It's an opportunity to do little more than typing words on BRF for armed forces.

Nikhil T
BRFite

Postby Nikhil T » 27 Aug 2009 11:21

nikhil_p you have a mail.

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby nikhil_p » 27 Aug 2009 18:24

Mods: Can this thread be made into a sticky to give it more visibility?

shanker
BRFite -Trainee

Helping the BSF Jawan & his Family

Postby shanker » 27 Aug 2009 21:06

This is regarding the BSF Jawan who lost both his hands. News about him was flashed on NDTV on 23rd & 24th August. After several attempts I spoke to him and his daughter over telephone and got his bank details which are given below:

Name: Sukanta Ghosal
Bank: State Bank of India, Amritsar Branch (Branch Code 3352)
Account No. 10061333706

His telephone number is 9888854914.

So anyone wishing to contribute can do so now by direct bank transfer into his bank account. I made my humble contribution today.

I also sent an email yesterday to the comandant of BSF enquiring why they are silent and why not help the family? Not surprisingly, there is no response from the BSF. I also contacted NDTV and requested them to set up an account, collect contributions and hand it over to the family. The NDTV guy who talked to me said they will do so but I don't see any action from them. So, I think direct action is the best. That is why I contriuted directly. The bank account details are given above to facilitate others wishing to contribute.

Regards,

Shanker

sunilUpa
BRFite

Re: Helping the BSF Jawan & his Family

Postby sunilUpa » 27 Aug 2009 21:41

Shankar Thanks for the details.

Mods could you merge this with the existing thread.

I want to wire funds from my account in US. Do I need any other details other than what SHankar has provided?

Other option is to take help of my Dad and have him transfer funds in India.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 27 Aug 2009 22:11

shanker ji, excellent work, you did what just I thought of doing but had to postpone.

sunil saab, try the second option, otherwise there may be problems with transfer of foreign fund at his end.

atma
BRFite

Postby atma » 27 Aug 2009 23:08

Thank You Shanker Jee. I am going to have somebody in desh to help me make the contribution, over the weekend.

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 28 Aug 2009 01:51

shanker wrote:This is regarding the BSF Jawan who lost both his hands. News about him was flashed on NDTV on 23rd & 24th August. After several attempts I spoke to him and his daughter over telephone and got his bank details which are given below:

Name: Sukanta Ghosal
Bank: State Bank of India, Amritsar Branch (Branch Code 3352)
Account No. 10061333706

His telephone number is 9888854914.

So anyone wishing to contribute can do so now by direct bank transfer into his bank account. I made my humble contribution today.

Guys, remember he is a private citizen. In your enthu to donate please don't bombard his account with foreign currency fund transfers - you will do more harm than good in that case. There is no dearth of anti-national elements in our government apparatus who would rather see a poor man suffer than take a humanitarian outlook on the whole episode. In this situation it is better NOT to send any funds at all as opposed to taking the easy way out and sending USD/etc. funds. Best is to get someone in India to send him INR funds - it is faster and Shri Ghosal is not in trouble either.

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Postby RamaY » 28 Aug 2009 01:51

sunilUpa wrote:Shankar Thanks for the details.

I want to wire funds from my account in US. Do I need any other details other than what SHankar has provided?

SunilUpa-ji

International wire xfer costs ~$25 AFAIK. We would be wasting a good amount on the transaction costs. Best idea is to do it from India.

Rgds,

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 28 Aug 2009 01:52

Please don't merge this with the QuikClot thread - it will muddle up both efforts.

sunilUpa wrote:I want to wire funds from my account in US. Do I need any other details other than what SHankar has provided?

Sunil, If feasible please take the 2nd option - it is safer for the recipient (though it will mean some work for your Dad).
Last edited by Raja Bose on 28 Aug 2009 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

sunnyP
BRFite

Postby sunnyP » 28 Aug 2009 01:54

Would anyone here be willing to accept a paypal payment from me and then (after deducting whatever paypal charges you) forward the funds into this Jawan's bank account?

Otherwise it's rather difficult for me to be transferring directly into an Indian bank account.

Cheers,

Sunny.

sunilUpa
BRFite

Postby sunilUpa » 28 Aug 2009 03:13

Thanks for the tip guys, I will have the funds transferred from India itself. I am sure my Dad will make his contribution too.

shanker
BRFite -Trainee

Postby shanker » 28 Aug 2009 11:12

For those wishing to contribute by bank transfers from abroad, please convert the foreign currency into Indian Rupees at your end and make the transfer in Indian rupees.

If you have an account with a branch of State Bank of India in the country where you currently live, it is vey easy - you can make the transfer by debit to your account, this is how I did it, it was quick and easy with minimal bank charges. They converted US Dollars into Indian rupees and arranged to transfer the amount in Indian rupees. However if you wish to do it from India it is equally easy. You can arrange with relatives/friends to do the transfer on your behalf. Regards, Shanker

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby nikhil_p » 28 Aug 2009 17:53

I could co-ordinate the effort if we plan to use Western Union...let me know.
Also regarding the trust, I have asked a friend to get some details about how we could set-up a trust.

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby jamwal » 29 Aug 2009 01:26

Dhanyawad Shanker jee

Gog
BRFite -Trainee

Postby Gog » 29 Aug 2009 02:56

Hi,
I joined the forum to alert you folk. There seems to be some discrepancy.

Why does the below link show the BSF Jawan as "Sukant Ghosh" and the Bank account name as recieved by forum member is shown as 'Sukanta Ghosal".

http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/bsf_forg ... espair.php

To avoid any mixup.

You need to confirm if the bank account's reciever address is the same as the actual person.

Considering his handicap, You also could confirm if the bank account is jointly owned by Geeta Gho.....(persumably his wife).

Other details that could help you are as to what is the age of their kids so that you can assess their needs more accurately.

Once all of you concur, I am willing to donate some money. But right now all the details dont seem to match.

Thanks

shanker
BRFite -Trainee

Postby shanker » 29 Aug 2009 11:43

Gog wrote:Hi,

Why does the below link show the BSF Jawan as "Sukant Ghosh" and the Bank account name as recieved by forum member is shown as 'Sukanta Ghosal".

To avoid any mixup.

You need to confirm if the bank account's reciever address is the same as the actual person.

Considering his handicap, You also could confirm if the bank account is jointly owned by Geeta Gho.....(persumably his wife).

Other details that could help you are as to what is the age of their kids so that you can assess their needs more accurately.

Once all of you concur, I am willing to donate some money. But right now all the details dont seem to match.

Thanks

Dear Friends,

When I spoke to the BSF Jawan and his daughter Sangeetha (Tel. No. 9888854914) and requested their bank account details, Sangeetha gave the details to me over phone and specifically stated that the correct name is "Sukanta Ghosal" and not Sukant Ghosh. She spelt out the name letter by letter at my request. She is a schoolgoing kid and the way she spoke she appeared to be smart although she is more comfortable speaking in Hindi than in English.

The family seems to be in urgent need of financial help to sustain themselves and to finance the school educaton of their two kids. They also need help to procure artificial limbs for Mr. Ghosal and in finding emloyment for him. His wife is also willing to take up any suitable employment.

Friends, may I humbly request that those who wish to help, please speak to the family over
the phone, satisfy yourselves on all aspects and decide what you wish to do. More than money, your kind words will go a long way in offering encouragement and solace to this family in distress and in restoring their self esteem.Kindly do not sow seeds of doubt in the minds of other would be contributors.
Regards,
Shanker

Gog
BRFite -Trainee

Postby Gog » 29 Aug 2009 22:44

shanker wrote:
Gog wrote:Hi,

To avoid any mixup.

Thanks

Dear Friends,

When I spoke to the BSF Jawan and his daughter Sangeetha (Tel. No. 9888854914) and requested their bank account details, Sangeetha gave the details to me over phone and specifically stated that the correct name is "Sukanta Ghosal" and not Sukant Ghosh. She spelt out the name letter by letter at my request. She is a schoolgoing kid and the way she spoke she appeared to be smart although she is more comfortable speaking in Hindi than in English.

The family seems to be in urgent need of financial help to sustain themselves and to finance the school educaton of their two kids. They also need help to procure artificial limbs for Mr. Ghosal and in finding emloyment for him. His wife is also willing to take up any suitable employment.

Friends, may I humbly request that those who wish to help, please speak to the family over
the phone, satisfy yourselves on all aspects and decide what you wish to do. More than money, your kind words will go a long way in offering encouragement and solace to this family in distress and in restoring their self esteem.Kindly do not sow seeds of doubt in the minds of other would be contributors.
Regards,
Shanker

Shanker Ji cool down. nothing personal. I am sure you mean well. Just that I had some doubts. if you are comfortable I think I am ok. that is the reason I did not quote your name. Regardless of the issue that I raised I would like to thank you. At least we got a A/C no to transfer. One favor to ask though. if any of you could post the address as registered in SBI, it will help people like me contribute to "Sukanta Ghosal" . ICICI M2I needs this. I cant make contact with the family.

Dont worry too much about me. This is probably my last post.

khan
BRFite

Postby khan » 30 Aug 2009 21:58

It would be nice if BR could set up some kind of clearing house for aid to specific cases that tug at the heart-strings and/or are relevant to the interests of this forum.

The clearing house should consist of a pay-pal account and volunteers in different countries willing to accept money orders from members who are paranoid about on-line financial transactions.

khan.

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby nikhil_p » 31 Aug 2009 18:20

nukavarapu wrote:Is there any chance we can set up a BRF trust which can in future aid such cases. The trust can have humble contributions from BRFites and the same money can be used to do lot of good work. Some areas:

1.) Helping needy Ex-military, Civilian etc. like this BSF hero.

- I personally think that aiding him money is important, but after aiding and not opposing this exploitation is simply crime. If we have a trust, it can be used to gather money and file Public Litigation.

2.) Using the money to create general Awareness about Importance of National Security and Indian Interests.

3.) The money can also be used for non-profit strategic research and analysis of India - The same things what Jingos are doing on the forum. The thoughts, arguments, counter arguments, facts based on events etc. can be put to literature works and published and made accessible to common man.

4.) Apart from Forums, where access is restricted to the sane and reasonable, there shud be some more methods to get aam janta aligned with BRF. We can't expect everyone to stand up and meet the stringent requirements to be a brfite. Only the highly aware and who can cautiously think for the strategic interests of Bharat, on behalf of 1 billion ignorant population, with only patriotism as motivation and national pride as reward, can call themselves BRFites.

"There is no liberty without Awareness, better be blind than ignorant" :twisted:

This is not gonna be a single person job. Many have to take part voluntarily. Or maybe some BRF Adminuallahs and Moulanas have already started this, and an unpure kafir like me is ill informed as I am not touched by the Grace of Allah :rotfl:

Let me hear your views. I wud be more than happy to do my part in it.

I have proposed this already. I have also spoken to a lawyer friend over the weekend to check the procedure of setting upa trust.
drop me an email
nikhilzmail at gmail dhoti com

Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Postby Shreeman » 01 Sep 2009 10:02

nikhil_p wrote:
I have proposed this already. I have also spoken to a lawyer friend over the weekend to check the procedure of setting upa trust.
drop me an email
nikhilzmail at gmail dhoti com

2 naiye paise: consider creating a new "project" with one of the larger organizations e.g. Asha or AID, or one of the many indian orgs. Don't know the overhead costs, but they should have the channels to accept and deliver in pretty much any corner transparently. Pick carefully one that will allow monitoring of expenses, and selection of grantees.

I am looking into something similar for (another) school type thing for under-privileged kids. The model being, the kids go to a regular <govt> school, stay at home (if available, or are provided appropriate accommodation). After school tutoring, meals, and regular monitoring is arranged.

The model might even make sense for something re. the kids in question. Education delivery seems to have become quite weak, so money alone does not appear to solve the problem.

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Postby svinayak » 01 Sep 2009 10:53

Shreeman wrote:
2 naiye paise: consider creating a new "project" with one of the larger organizations

Don't know the overhead costs, but they should have the channels to accept and deliver in pretty much any corner transparently. Pick carefully one that will allow monitoring of expenses, and selection of grantees.

I am looking into something similar for (another) school type thing for under-privileged kids.

The model might even make sense for something re. the kids in question. Education delivery seems to have become quite weak, so money alone does not appear to solve the problem.

Try the IDRF. Zero overhead cost

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby nikhil_p » 01 Sep 2009 22:24

Acharya wrote:
Shreeman wrote:
2 naiye paise: consider creating a new "project" with one of the larger organizations

Don't know the overhead costs, but they should have the channels to accept and deliver in pretty much any corner transparently. Pick carefully one that will allow monitoring of expenses, and selection of grantees.

I am looking into something similar for (another) school type thing for under-privileged kids.

Try the IDRF. Zero overhead cost

We are looking at setting up a trust/organization for the sole purpose of helping the Armed Forces, the paramilitary and Police...wouldnt this dilute the aim.
I know it is a BIG task...however I am sure we should be able to get enough volunteers for this...or...Ekla chalo re...

samuel
BRFite

Postby samuel » 05 Sep 2009 07:35

Bosslog,

what's prefered method.

1. go to XYZ bank in Amrikhan, wire to a/c cited using SWIFT in INR, routed through SBI in US?
2. Send check direct to address?
3. Ask someone in IN to wire and refund them.
4. Pobox here at BRF for clearing this?

What are you guys preferring to do. I'll try 1 if nothing comes through by way of response.

Tx
S

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby nikhil_p » 08 Sep 2009 20:30

okay guys some updates:
1) We can set up a charitable trust...however we need to fulfil a few legalities.
a) What will be the sources of income.
b) Who will be auditing (compulsorily we need to appoint a CA).
2) What will be the areas of work that we will involve ourselves.
3) Are we also setting up an NGO in which case we will get some subsidies from the govt.

wig
BRFite

Postby wig » 08 Sep 2009 21:57

in india you will need to do the following:
1. draft a trust deed and register it with the local (jurisdictional) sub-judge ( the purpose must be charitable and for the general good - "releif of the poor, education, medical relief, preservation of environment, monuments etc and advancement of any other object of general public utility") and appoint the orignal trustees
1 (a) also demarcate the responsiblities amongst trustees
1 (b) you also may using this registered deed open a bank account
2. then you will need to register the trust deed with the local registrar of charities, public trust. the nomeclature differs and the specific judge wil differ from state to state.
3. now that you have been granted a certificate of registration you will apply to the jurisdictional commissioner of Income tax, (form 10 A f the Income Tax Rules) for registration of your trust (there is a specific period for this - twelve months from the date of registration)

4. there after you apply under the FCRA (an act that governs societies) that recieves or expects to recieve remittances from outside India for furtherance of the objectives of the trust.
5. books of account need to be maintained and audited in Form 10 B (income tax rules) and audit report with final statements of account submitted by 30 september for the preceeding financial year. ie. for the financial year 01.04.08 to 31.3.09 the report is to be submitted by 30/9/9. annual audit by a Chartered Accountant in practise( one who is in possession of a certificate of practise) ( i think audit is to be conducted if the income exceeds Rs 50000/ pa)
6. the income tax returns need to be filed annually in form ITR 7.
7. the sources of income :
7(a) donations from members/ non members. you will also need a registration under the Income Tax Act so that the donor is eligible to claim a percentage of the donation from his income when he/she files IT return under section 80G
7(b) you could also market studies/ books and data that are relevant to achieving the objectives of the founding of the trust as enunciated in the trust deed
7(c) corpus funds recieved can be invested in funds (Post oFfice , govt savings cert, scheduled bank Fixed Deposits) notified under the Indian Trusts Act - the interest earned by the funds will also add to the kitty.
7(d) grants in aid by the Government of India ( though i do not know exactly how to get anything, let alone grants; from the Govt.)

8. i think that FCRA - Foreign Contribution ( Regulation) Act, 1976 will apply in case funds are going to flow in from abroad as assistance. you will need to apply -seek prior permission before recievin any funds in form FC-1A
9. and, apply under the FCRA in form FC-8to seek registration in you want to recieve contribution from abroad by the trust / society registered in India for a definite cultural/ economic etc program

sumeet_s
BRFite -Trainee

Postby sumeet_s » 09 Sep 2009 01:06

Setting up something like a trust or NGO is a great idea...i am also ready to volunteer for any such effort...

vera_k
BRF Oldie

Postby vera_k » 09 Sep 2009 12:55

http://www.GiveIndia.org allows you to donate from India, US and UK and deduct against your taxes. They have a facility called iGive, where you can create a donation page for a specific purpose that would then be routed to a local NGO of your choice. I have successfully sent money to one of the RSS organisations handling medical treatment this year. The only downside is that they charge a 10% fee as the transaction cost.

Guddu
BRFite

Postby Guddu » 13 Sep 2009 20:00

vera_k wrote:http://www.GiveIndia.org allows you to donate from India, US and UK and deduct against your taxes. They have a facility called iGive, where you can create a donation page for a specific purpose that would then be routed to a local NGO of your choice. I have successfully sent money to one of the RSS organisations handling medical treatment this year. The only downside is that they charge a 10% fee as the transaction cost.

Can the GiveIndia.org be used to target specific individuals for donation, eg the jawan in question. If so, 10% is a small price to pay for the convenience. Managing a trust also has costs. Also, any BRF approved payment method must have a US$ payment option...

vera_k
BRF Oldie

Postby vera_k » 14 Sep 2009 09:11

Guddu wrote:Can the GiveIndia.org be used to target specific individuals for donation, eg the jawan in question. If so, 10% is a small price to pay for the convenience. Managing a trust also has costs. Also, any BRF approved payment method must have a US$ payment option...

Yes, they can be used to target specific persons. Steps to do this are -

1. Approach a local NGO in India and ask them a) if they're FCRA approved and b) if they'd be willing to route money to the person in need.

2. Check if they are registered with GiveIndia.org. If not, have them register themselves.

3. Now the NGO can create a page for a specific purpose like providing help to a single person.

Adrija
BRFite

Postby Adrija » 16 Sep 2009 10:37

Nikhil_p, you have mail.

Like the idea of a BRF Trust. Admins, would it be possible to understand fully if you are comfortable with it and how this should operate? Would necessarily need to have admins/ long standing elders on the Trust administration to ensure the Trust is operated in line with BRF wishes/ giudelines, and which reports back to the Forum on its operations on a regular basis (sticky?)

However, operating a trust is quite a lot of work, including adhering to legal guidelines on an ongoing basis. Let's go into it after making sure we are up to it. Have just R21 (Gurgaon), so happy to volunteer on managing the local end if it is located in NCR region

shanker
BRFite -Trainee

Postby shanker » 02 Oct 2009 12:45

Dear Friends,

It would be nice if any BR member who lives near Amritsar could visit Sukanta Ghosal's family and find out whether they received satisfactory help and what the current status of the matter is.

This will help us to assess what further help can be provided. Would any member be kind enough to volunteer to visit the family and post his findings on this forum?

Regards,

Shanker

Return to “Trash Can Archive”