Priorities on the basic level:
1. Food Security: Whatever can be done to secure the cultivation worthy land, should be done not to mention a big chunk of taxpayers money should be used to make proper storage infra all over the land, it was so heart-breaking to see on TV so much of the wheat rotting on the fields of Punjab due to non availability of storage last month. Also so much fruits & vegetables are going rotten due to lack of packing boxes and transportation. Another aspect of saving the cultivating land is strictly prohibiting any kind of industrial or housing projects taking over the fertile land. Highly fertile lands of Punjab, Bengal should be saved from industrial or any kind of building projects. The industrial growth can be encouraged in the non fertile lands of Rajasthan, Orissa and Gujarat.
2. Energy Security: Lots of investment should be made in the technologies of alternative fuels. In this way funds can be made available for german/norwaygien Hydrogen Fuel Cell tech. Instead of importing expensive nuclear plants. It was fascinating to see on DW german channel how a man converted his skoda engine by adding a chamber in which he would pour all the plastic waste and it gave 30% fuel efficiency, higher speed & improved engine performance. These individuals can be invited to IITs, given all kind of funds, facilities to encourage a culture of techno savvy society.
3. Education: Big effort is needed to increase the number of primary schools, schools and colleges in higher education. But I think students opting to study outside the country should also be encouraged and if they want to stay and work outside this should also be helped, as these kids will help spreading our values cultures overseas. Here also we should remove the influence of Macauley and hidden leftist agendas from the education system.
4. Defence: I agree with Prem, in the coming times with the problems of Maoists and Islamic terrorism growing, not to mention having two bloodthirsty enemies on our borders. We do need lots of manpower in the armed forces. It also needs mention that Paramility Forces should also be brought under Regular Army, it will give the army officers also a deeper insight on how to manage the country in the aftermath of nuke war, not to mention the improvement in the training and equipment of Paramilitary forces.
Since we are not testing anytime soon for TNs as we are fully deterred with the consequences (sanctions etc.). To compensate that the Defence Budget should have totally separate section of budget for Nuclear warfighting machinery(Warheads, missiles, ATVs, Deep bunkers in the mountains protected by ABM). Since by not testing anymore we are saving so much money to grow economically, I think govt. should sanction a budget on the lines of something like 20 Arihants carrying 16 Agni Vs each with 3MIRVs, Huge funds for next generation Hypersonic missiles, 200 Agni Vs + 100 Agni IIIs, Bunkers buried deep under mountains and multilayered ABM defence situated on mountaintops, Dedicated satellites for the three services. A stockpile of 900-1000 warheads.
5. Law and Order: Reforming of the courts, computer systems and media vigilence can play a big part in it.
On the ideological level:
1.) Importance of Politicians should be brought down, ok they have the power to govern, but there is no need to invite them for coconut breaking for every kind of inauguration, naming roads, landmarks and other things after them.
A movement should be there to make people realise the great work done by people like Baba Amte, not to convert people or not for any noble prize. People should realise the work done by these kind of people. Why not name the bridges, schools, colleges after people like these.
I think cinema can work wonders on this front, with movies like Swades. This is the most important thing which can lay the basis for a country ridden with Dynastic Rule, nepotism.
2.) A counter media which only and only deals with questioning the media and showing it the mirror. Right now the trend in media is too much one sided and level of reporting is too much in favour of US, INC camp.
3.) A reformed beaureacracy: While ruling India, British created a bureaucracy which was harsh overbearing and with a mindset of the ruler. Unfortunately this mindset was found useful by the people who ruled the country either on national or state level irrespective of the party they were. Now with the advent of cameras , computers and TV media a more keen eye can be kept on the working output and behavior with public by bureaucrats.
4.) Thread: Every country has some kind of thread running common amongs the masses of the country. Whether its the christianity in Europe, Islam amongs Arabs & Persians, The slogan of American Dream (a melting pot culture) + christianity in US. Or a very basic Idea of Han Chinese with their Chinese New Year Celebration and Chinese literature, martial arts etc.
The most unfortunate thing in India is the Denial of this very thread which keeps the country together: Hinduism as a way of Life. Whatever we do we can never follow the French or American melting pot model. It would always be a salad bowl subcontinent with North Indians celebrating Deepawali & Holi, Gujaratis celebrating navratris, Bengalis celebrating Durga Puja, Marathis Ganeshutsav, South Indians Pongal, Sankranti. But still commonly tied with the Hindu way of life whether being athiests, yogis, Kali worshippers whatever.
Criminally it is being replaced with the hollow word: Secularism or Dharm Nirpekshta, which is a negative terms. How can a negative term be the common thread running amongst a culture or country.