BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

BR Forum Feedback

Post by Jagan »

New Thread. Fresh Start.

Current issues only.

Post your suggestions on new threads and their management

FAQ

How to contact the Moderators
If you want to contact the Mod team -- Report your post first - Select "Contact the Moderator Team". And send the message. You will get a response back.

Armen's Archiver Tool
- http://sites.google.com/site/brfdictionary/utilities (When Print View All Pages is not working - Use This)
Warn and Ban Rules-
Official warnings are comparatively rare and issued only when a poster shows marked reluctance to comply with requests. The ban prcedure goes something like this :
3 official warnings in a 6 month period --> 1 month ban
+1 ---do--- --> 3 month ban
+1 ---do--- --> permanent ban.
Warnings expire 6 months from the date they are given.
How to start posting pictures from your computer onto this thread:
1. Go to http://www.imageshack.us
2. Click the "Browse button"
3. Select your image file from your computer
4. Click "Host it"
5. Wait for uploading to finish and the new page loads.
6. Click in the box with label "Hotlink for forums (1)". Select the text. Copy.
7. Paste it into your post.
This will insert the full image into your post. If you want only the thumbnail , copy the text from the box labeled "Thumbnail for forums (1)"

2. If you already have the image on "yourwebsite.com" then use the following format to post the thumbnail here.

The UBB code will be in the format of [img ]http://www.yourwebsite.com/BigPicture_Thumbnail.jpg[b][/ img] [/b]
Last edited by Jagan on 27 Feb 2010 22:15, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: FAQ Updated
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Dileep »

Since it is fresh start, let me post a couple of lingering issues.

1. The date/time does not follow the time zone. Whatever you set, it displays the same time, which itself is off from UTC by a few minutes. This is a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE.

2. The "Print view all posts in this topic" link doesn't work for large page counts. Works OK for small page counts. Looks like there is a check for number of pages/posts or something.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^^
Dileep Saar, if you're using the "Print view all posts in this topic" link to archive threads, I have another solution for you. Matter of fact, I originally wrote it specifically to archive your Spy Story Mark - I :D.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ArmenT wrote:^^^^
Dileep Saar, if you're using the "Print view all posts in this topic" link to archive threads, I have another solution for you. Matter of fact, I originally wrote it specifically to archive your Spy Story Mark - I :D.
Thanks for the reminder Armen and Dileep. Suraj was mentioning this earlier too.

http://sites.google.com/site/brfdictionary/utilities (Armen's Archiver Tool)
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

deleted
Last edited by Jagan on 02 Jan 2010 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

off topic again
Last edited by Jagan on 02 Jan 2010 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic 2
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Dileep wrote: 1. The date/time does not follow the time zone. Whatever you set, it displays the same time, which itself is off from UTC by a few minutes. This is a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE.
I too have reported this multiple times. The same time gets displayed irrespective of which time zone is selected. It is hard to keep track of what time the last post was posted etc.
Last edited by Jagan on 09 Jan 2010 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: RESPONSE: Looking into it, but no fix in sight yet
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Re:Reading lists for country specific threads

Post by Lilo »

I request the Mods to append a reading list to all the country specific threads in the Strategic Issues forum.

This has already been done in case of Pakistan and is now turning into a fine repository to turn the opinions of nava mullahs fresh from an overdose of 'Aman ki Asha' like drivel from the DDM.

Especially a set of opinions on countries like Russia,Iran,Israel whose weight in our past and present relationships is not adequately appreciated either in DDM or in the western media, urgently needs to be compiled.

Other countries like USA,China,UK,Japan,France etc which dominate our Geopolitical sphere can start with a few but significant articles,PDFs etc which then should self aggrandize in content with their continuing relevance to our foreign policy.

regards.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

What is this icon for? :arrow:

Can we have a thumbs up/thumbs own icon instead. Sometimes it may be better to use that sort of icon than write an ill worded post that offends/hurts feelings
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
I too would appreciate a thumbs up/thumbs down icon.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Next we need to clean up non-PC names, locations etc to improve the image.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:

Can we have a thumbs up/thumbs own icon instead. Sometimes it may be better to use that sort of icon than write an ill worded post that offends/hurts feelings
Gaur wrote:^^
I think I have seen this somewhere - Posters collect points or thumbs ups for the quality of posts.

Using my crystal ball, I can see the future - someone makes an incredibly stupid post - which is thumbsupped by a bunch of supporting looneys who outnumber the saner elements, and the start of another piskology thread :mrgreen:

But seriously, the feature is available if needed. but its an add on that requires some downtime and work - only seetal can do it
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

please don't.

added later : the mere idea horrifies me. we will have all kinds of ungli wars ! :shock:
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Can we please have a middle finger salami smiley?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Mods, check this out. If one thinks 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down' is a bit too 'on the face' we could have 'thanks' and 'groans' instead...as shown in the pic below.

If one finds a particular post really cool, he can post it directly to facebook/twitter/any bookmarking site.

It also has 'quick reply' button, where in one can reply directly to a particular post on the same page, without having to enter the reply mode.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Quick Reply is coming soon. Its an inbuilt feature in phpbb. Rest - ah well.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Jagan wrote:
shiv wrote:

Gaur wrote:^^
I think I have seen this somewhere - Posters collect points or thumbs ups for the quality of posts.

Using my crystal ball, I can see the future - someone makes an incredibly stupid post - which is thumbsupped by a bunch of supporting looneys who outnumber the saner elements, and the start of another piskology thread :mrgreen:

But seriously, the feature is available if needed. but its an add on that requires some downtime and work - only seetal can do it
Jagan,
Perhaps shiv and gaur are asking for just an icon/smiley and not something necesarily related to points per se?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I am still requesting an ability to ignore selected moderators posts. Moderators, as I pointed out are human and are sometimes upset by perfectly innocent posts that they feel are somehow targeting them personally. It happens to the best of us. I have about 8 people on my ignore list and I would like to add at least one mod to my ignore list so I do not have to read his posts and be tempted to respond.

Warnings on PM of course will be read and can always be posted within the text of an offender's post in case he has a mod on his ignore list.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

shiv wrote:Can we have a thumbs up/thumbs own icon instead. Sometimes it may be better to use that sort of icon than write an ill worded post that offends/hurts feelings
Use one of these

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Hey how about these?

For GTRE geeks working on Kaveri
Image Image
For celebrations
For piskologists
For mods
and
For the ones with soosai vests

Boy, forum feedback thread is fun! :D
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

Oh great now we are promoting more immaturity. First people want to use color and finger paint all over posts....now they want more emoticons to make their inane points.

DMurphy.....what emoticon do you suggest we use the next time you make a profound observation like "the IN Mig-29Ks look old to me". :evil:

Enough nonsense...stick to substance.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Question to the mods ... why are we allowing conspiracy theories based on spam e-mails (regarding the death of Hemant karkare) to be discussed on the Mumbai attack thread? I thought this was the hallmark of the deaf-and-dumb forum ....
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Can we have Kushboo and led ripps majjaj barlor smileys and bakistan and cheeni flags waving smileys for the Benis dhaga?
How about a Quaid-e-duh smiley?

Dmurphy,
Where did you get all those smileys? can you please post a link.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Right click on the smiley and check "properties". It is from some papalguy site.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

archan wrote:Right click on the smiley and check "properties". It is from some papalguy site.
:shock: Archangaru - it is paGalguy
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

shiv wrote:
archan wrote:Right click on the smiley and check "properties". It is from some papalguy site.
:shock: Archangaru - it is paGalguy
:mrgreen: oops
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

^^^ Trust me fellas, Pagalguy is to Post Graduation (especially MBA) studies what BRF is to Military Topics. Its run by ex-IIM Pagals and the members are called Puys :D
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Mods, can we also have the image auto resizing facility like on Militaryphotos.net?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

George J wrote:DMurphy.....what emoticon do you suggest we use the next time you make a profound observation like "the IN Mig-29Ks look old to me". :evil:

Enough nonsense...stick to substance.
GJ, where on earth (not just BRF) did you see me making such a comment? You are perhaps referring to this: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 97#p794997

Please check my subsequent posts and tell me where I've made a comment even remotely like the one you've attributed to me.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^^ Don't hold your breath for a response, he has been banned.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

^^^
:shock: :-?

Are you serious?

Added later: This is not aimed anybody in particular. But Feedback thread is where one puts forward his suggestions to the Mods/Webmasters. What business does anybody else who is not a Mod/WM have in telling me what I should be posting or suggesting in the Feedback thread? So what If i indulge myself in some light hearted banter? There are Mods around to tell me if I'm acting too smart. I can understand if I'm running amok in some other threads which are limited a certain topic, one is free to tell me I'm going wrong. It will be well received. But this is just stamping one's seniority on others.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

FAO mods

I cross post a few posts from the Newbie thread
abhishekm wrote:
atreya wrote:Moderators, can I start a thread to track and discuss errors shown in police and army movies? I find that movies are the primary mode of information for the general public on the workings of our defence forces. Bollywood war movies are fraught with all kind of inconsistencies and errors.
Excellent idea! Why not start with the Amitabh Bachchan disaster "Major Saab" which showed the Big B sporting a beard and wearing inappropriate uniforms? Also, who can forget the pathetic manner in which the NDA was depicted in that movie (I think they showed dormitory accommodation for cadets and reduced discipline to a joke by portraying Ajay Devgan as a rule breaking casanova!). And to think that the NDA actually gave permission to shoot the film there... :shock:
Jagan wrote:
shiv wrote:Military booboos of Bollywood would be a great thread. But I think that if anyone decides to start such a thread, please write a short article with a list of 4-5 movies and the errors in those movies rather than just staring a topic and say "Let's talk about errors in movies"
that would be a fun thread :D . if we can have tracking errors in defence reporting, why not in movies? besides, bollywood might bring a more larger audience. :)
A thread was started and trashed.
Trash can link:
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... =16&t=5376

Could we resurrect the thread please? I think it is a good and original idea.

For example the entire movie "Border" was a trashing of history - where the facts of the battle were massacred beyond sanity. Bollywood is widely seen and has the opportunity to make or break myths and I think it is wrong to dismiss an original topic such as this outright.
Last edited by Jagan on 10 Jan 2010 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unlocked the Movie thread. It will now sustain itself or die a natural death
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Mods, regarding the new thread 'Bollywood Errors: Military and Police'; if something good in the movies can be appreciated, is not the 'Errors' misleading? How about something like, 'Bollywood Critiques: Military and Police'?

Thanks.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yahoo emoticons and their hidden icons are cool too.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/features/emoticons/
http://messenger.yahoo.com/features/hiddenemoticons/

For example : for an intruder who just crossed yellow sea.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Q: What is a "quick reply"? How is it different from the regular reply?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gagan wrote:Q: What is a "quick reply"? How is it different from the regular reply?
Quick reply="I don't have time now, but BRF is holding me until I type this"
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Gagan wrote:Q: What is a "quick reply"? How is it different from the regular reply?
I am not familiar with phpBB quick reply; but usually, a member clicks some button and types a reply on the same page the messages are displayed. The user is not directed to a new page; user types then and there. The software could provide various display formats (frills).
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

^^^ you're right. The dialogue box is right there at the bottom of the the same page you read the posts on. Will save us a lot of time for sneaking those IB4TLs through :D .

Posting a PG screenshot again, here's what a quick reply looks like:

It includes the most basic things like word formatting. The only drawback is, one might have to switch to "post reply" mode to post emoticons and some other geeky stuff like youtube videos.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Dear Admins,I want to start a new thread in Technology forum called the "Mass Rapid Transit in India" where we can post an discuss on the diff metro, monorails, BRTs etc etc.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Jai Ho!
KrishG, please go ahead and start it.