BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
sivabala
BRFite -Trainee

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by sivabala »

Has RayC's ban order expired? Will he come back? I miss his views on many issues, especially after the masacre at Dantewada.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

sivabala wrote:Has RayC's ban order expired? Will he come back? I miss his views on many issues, especially after the masacre at Dantewada.
I don't think he'll be back, even after the ban expires. Pity really, he was a valuable poster.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

^^ What was he banned for?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Hi there,

i've been on a few forums as i'm sure most of you have been too.

BR Forums require something which is Easier on the Eyes,

Please go with something which has a DARK/DARKER BACKGROUND.

As an earlier Gentleman has quoted previously about Fred Miranda Forum, i am a very frequent visitor on that site.

Its what BR should be like - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/892150 << P E R F E C T
Yeah! That one's so much easier on the eyes. But, OTOH this is good as I'll be forced to spend less time on the forum.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Viv S wrote:
sivabala wrote:Has RayC's ban order expired? Will he come back? I miss his views on many issues, especially after the masacre at Dantewada.
I don't think he'll be back, even after the ban expires. Pity really, he was a valuable poster.
yeah,we lost an expert's opinion
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Is it taboo to tell a member, why a fellow member was banned, whose opinion mattered quite much.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Akshut wrote:Is it taboo to tell a member, why a fellow member was banned, whose opinion mattered quite much.
It is seldom a single thing or event. Members get warnings over a period of time and run out of chances.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

rahulm wrote:........black text on a white background offers the best contrast and hence readability.
I know its old fashioned but there is a reason we still print black text on white paper.
Agree with you on both parts but printing black fonts on white paper is fine as Paper does not have luminescence - PC Monitors DO, And they have a lot of it !!

Continued exposure does take its toll, i have a difficult time reading on BRIGHT White background for more than 5-10 mins.

For short paragraphs like a brief news report etc its IDEAL but not for a forum like this as you'd be spending considerable amount of time reading a LLLOTT of stuff.
JTull wrote:Yeah! That one's so much easier on the eyes. But, OTOH this is good as I'll be forced to spend less time on the forum.
:D LOL....
I'll quote another great forum - http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... in/354216/

Now look at the Top-Right:
It says Color: Blue, White, Purple or Classic.
Click on either one of the colours & see what happens.

What prompted them to do that was a year or 2 ago when A.net was acquired by an American Co, they gave the entire site a typical makeover.

Just like here on BR, the folks there didnt like it, SO ?
So, the management came-up with that option on top, WHEREIN - BY DEFAULT the appearance will go to Classic & IF you want all that Jazz then click it, keep it the way you want to.

The dark blue is also very easy on the eyes.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Dear Bredators, the email account I used to sign up on BR is no longer active. I tried changing the email Id in my profile, but since I do not have an ISP provided email account any more, I was unable to do so. Do I need to have a working email Id in my profile (in case the mods need to send me any emails about Warnings, etc..)? Does this make me an illegal immigrant on BR? :(( :((
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Since we "know" you, we can allow you to exist with a free email address. Email us at gentleman.cadet gmale account and change your email. It might come in handy if you forget your password or it gets reset due to any unexpected glitch, etc.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Akshut wrote:Is it taboo to tell a member, why a fellow member was banned, whose opinion mattered quite much.
There are no such taboos; at least I don't believe in any. Sometimes we keep quiet only to not aggravate issues. I did not see when he got banned but later when I found out I could see that he repeatedly attacked RahulM and Jagan had told him to lay off. Rahul did not respond but RayC continued it and Jagan was forced to take away his posting rights.
Guys, we know and appreciate the knowledge and best intentions of the senior members. However, we try not to give anyone extra favors which a non-guru member would not enjoy.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

archan wrote:Since we "know" you, we can allow you to exist with a free email address. Email us at gentleman.cadet gmale account and change your email. It might come in handy if you forget your password or it gets reset due to any unexpected glitch, etc.
Thanks, will do so.
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

please keep the signature column to left.
its not wise to start lines from extreme left.
please keep readability in mind.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

archan wrote:
There are no such taboos; at least I don't believe in any. Sometimes we keep quiet only to not aggravate issues. I did not see when he got banned but later when I found out I could see that he repeatedly attacked RahulM and Jagan had told him to lay off. Rahul did not respond but RayC continued it and Jagan was forced to take away his posting rights.
Guys, we know and appreciate the knowledge and best intentions of the senior members. However, we try not to give anyone extra favors which a non-guru member would not enjoy.
Thanks for clearing it out.
arya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arya »

sameer_shelavale wrote:please keep the signature column to left.
its not wise to start lines from extreme left.
please keep readability in mind.
i am total agree with u.
n also want to Change ground to grey
Santosh
BRFite

Post by Santosh »

I agree with some of the opinions below. The new color scheme is making the forum hard to read. I would suggest going back to the old format if possible, or atleast moving the signature section to the left and changing the background color to white/light shade of gray.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

archan wrote:Since we "know" you, we can allow you to exist with a free email address. Email us at gentleman.cadet gmale account and change your email. It might come in handy if you forget your password or it gets reset due to any unexpected glitch, etc.
Can I also change my e-mail in the profile? my old e-mail is no longer active. :((
Ashwini
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ashwini »

Akshut wrote:
Vishal Jolapara wrote: Please go with something which has a DARK/DARKER BACKGROUND.

Its what BR should be like - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/892150 << P E R F E C T
Totally agree. That is a nice one, Mods can we have this one after upgrade?
+2
Vishal Jolapara wrote: :D LOL....
I'll quote another great forum - http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... in/354216/

Now look at the Top-Right:
It says Color: Blue, White, Purple or Classic.
Click on either one of the colours & see what happens.
This one is nice too but i like the earlier one you suggested a bit more.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

pgbhat, yes, you may change it.
For those who are commenting on the forum's visual theme, please go back and read the discussion here and in the GD forum. This look is expected to be temporary because the old theme was not letting them upgrade the forum software. Let us hope that the upgrade goes smoothly and we can have our old look back. Though it would be nice if some talented among us can do a compatible theme which is easy on the eyes and is unique to BRF, with an Indianness to it.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

archan wrote:Though it would be nice if some talented among us can do a compatible theme which is easy on the eyes and is unique to BRF, with an Indianness to it.
Archan there are several themes at the website www.phpBB3styles.net which I mentioned earlier in this thread which are simple and suitable for BRF.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

nachiket wrote: Archan there are several themes at the website http://www.phpBB3styles.net which I mentioned earlier in this thread which are simple and suitable for BRF.
i think this x_Silver will suit BRF most.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

niran wrote:
nachiket wrote: Archan there are several themes at the website http://www.phpBB3styles.net which I mentioned earlier in this thread which are simple and suitable for BRF.
i think this x_Silver will suit BRF most.
Nah, people here want the simple Black on White theme. So I had suggested this.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

adminullahs,

The new design is good. Me likey. The only thing I find hard is to read bolded text. It kinda blends in and doesnt really tell that it is bolded. :((
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

As per Archan's post the Old Look will be back so these are simply add-on Options worth considering.

I went through them all,

Things i looked for is how much max available viewing & posting space do these offer & aesthetics.

Please Click on Test Forum & then Sticky or any Thread to see the posting area.

1. These two for instance have a nice small Avatar & User Handle area to the Left & wide open real-estate to the right
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/Hermes+Gray
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/WoW%3A+Alliance

Compare those ^ to this - http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/DVGFX and you will like the above ones better.

2. Here's another nice one where there's slightly more space on both left & right - http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/CA+Black

3. BR Old Look Fans here's your forum - http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/subsilver2

4. This one is a bit more radical but its really stylish, It needs a bit of tweaking but will look fabulous once done right - http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/sacred2light
+ For starters, the logo at the back can be replaced with The BR Logo - with less Opacity,
+ the Font Colours also need work,
- the damn Avatar & user handle area is to the right which means if someone quoted a large image half of it may be cut like it is being done in this current/interim theme.
+ if only it can be moved to the left & reduce the gaps on left & right.

5. The Avatar & User Handle area in this one is akin to that of A.net but slightly taller,
though it allows for a wider & unrestricted posting area - http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/proDVGFX
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Something wrong with the View active topics link? It is only listing the Attention non-members and lurkers ! thread. Please check

As for the themes, it would be nice if you keep the default theme in light colours - 1st timers and infrequent surfers might be turned off by dark bg - known to be associated with Warez Underground community in general. Registered users could be given the choice of selecting a more visually pleasing dark theme if needed.
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

hiten click on view new posts - which actually does the same thing as active topics in the old format
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

archan wrote:pgbhat, yes, you may change it.
Archan-ji Thank you, sent you an e-mail at gentleman.cadet at gmale.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Webmaster sahib,
Do you have a statistic counter for this forum which tells the number of users & average time spent on a page/site
If yes, then how do the numbers post forum upgrade compare with the counters for a week ago when we had the old look.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

AdityaM wrote:Webmaster sahib,
Do you have a statistic counter for this forum which tells the number of users & average time spent on a page/site
If yes, then how do the numbers post forum upgrade compare with the counters for a week ago when we had the old look.
I would say that the serious postors/visitors/lurkers will still come to the site based on the content and not on the looks. If BRF was a portal selling stuff, maybe I would agree with you. Given the nature of BRF, I wouldn't say people will be put off by the looks!
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

BR is visited for the contents, but this new neon blue "chamak look" has me searching for the topic I am looking for. Layout by itself is not a problem and one can adjust in a few days.

However even after about a week, I am finding it difficult to locate the exact topic I am looking for in a sea of neon blue forum-headers, header-fonts and medium-grey body font.

I would request to see if the header-fonts and body fonts (presently blue and med-grey) can be made darker like black or something. At least they would stand oout more than they presently do.

Elsewise I think the software has more capabilities than previous version. Good job.

added later:

As a example I see my posts are in black when I am logged in. Here is a screengrab of this page - I feel the black font makes for better readability than the grey+blue font immediately proceeding my post. I hope the admins also feel some readability enhancements may be needed?

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:As per Archan's post the Old Look will be back so these are simply add-on Options worth considering.

3. BR Old Look Fans here's your forum - http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/subsilver2
Ah, I see they have finally changed the "NewPost" button which has given endless headaches to Bradmins in the past to a more suitable "New Topic" Button.

On the other hand, this means less IB4TL opportunities for us. :((
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

oh God I am so happy to see the old form back ! I hated the new look..was hard to read the posts and the colours totally contributed to the confused look..mods, please don't play around with this look..this clean simple look works best.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Kartik wrote:oh God I am so happy to see the old form back ! I hated the new look..was hard to read the posts and the colours totally contributed to the confused look..mods, please don't play around with this look..this clean simple look works best.
What?? It still shows the new one for me. :(( :((
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Nice to get the old style back.

The BR forum logo at the top is replaced with the "phpbb" logo. Can the webmaster please replace it?

BTW, was the upgrade successful?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Hallelujah!! The time is being displayed correctly!! May the almighty bless the webmaster with 72 ... er lactating goats!! :mrgreen:
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

putnanja wrote:Hallelujah!! The time is being displayed correctly!! May the almighty bless the webmaster with 72 ... er lactating goats!! :mrgreen:
oops, spoke a little too soon. The time is running behind by half an hour, but still close.

may the almighty give you just 24 goats :D
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

The Quick Reply Window will be missed :)

Image works only on the dazzling blue template.. not the current 'old' one.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

**ALERT** **ALERT**

the "view active topics" still shows only the announcement thread only and nothing else. it is the primary navigation option for most of us, so please correct it if possible.
and thanks for reverting to the old theme. :)

p.s. just noticed some of the smileys are looking a bit paki. can't have everything I guess. :-?

e.g :lol: :| :twisted: :cry: :roll:
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Thank you for this format, much better.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Why does it keep reverting to the (not so) "Dazzling Blue" template every time I log in? As long as I'm logged out, it shows me the old plain theme. It's happening in both Firefox and Chrome and it's driving me nuts. Image
Last edited by nachiket on 04 May 2010 07:59, edited 1 time in total.