BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
atreya
BRFite

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by atreya »

Ramesh wrote:Dear Mods,
Please make aircraft recognition thread as sticky. Shiv sir, want aircrafts from across, is it possible to include helis & UAVs likely to visit us.
Yes, please. It would be very helpful for noobs
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Alright alright... done. Nice thread.
Rodrigo Rojas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rodrigo Rojas »

I support open source software and phpBB but Vbulletin looks much better. Why not move? I'm sure you have plenty of readers willing to donate (if that is the reason)
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

I doubt spending $300 is an issue. The PHPBB version BRF uses is heavily modified and secure. Hence it has been around for a very long time.

I am not against continuous improvement. However I doubt vBulletin is worth the effort. In fact, for me it is pretty poor platform choice from a long term perspective.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

While I think VBulletin definitely has more features that will make it more attractive etc.. It will require us to invest more time in setting up , administration etc.. PhpBB is in auto pilot mode for us and doesnt really take too much of our time..
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Mods, is it possible for you to "shift" posts up n down? In the Aircraft Recognition thread, please club the attack helicopters together and transport aircraft together for ease of use. Me and shiv were working at the same time, so the last 4 posts are alternating between transport AC and attack helis.

PS: Not THAT big a problem, but would be better if it can be done [:)]
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^^ sorry, not possbile for mods to do. Posts appear based on timestamp.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Any chance you guys can increase the max. # of mysql connections in my.cnf so we don't run out of SQL connections so quickly.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Links presented in forum posts always open in the same window/tab. This spoils the continuity when reading a thread. It will be a better idea to open the links in a new window/tab. This is the general practice on other fora.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

SandeepA wrote:Links presented in forum posts always open in the same window/tab. This spoils the continuity when reading a thread. It will be a better idea to open the links in a new window/tab. This is the general practice on other fora.
SandeepA, while opening the link just hold down the Ctrl button when you click on the link OR right click on it and select "open in a new tab". :)
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

It would be nice to have youtube like thumbs up/down feature.
jambudvipa
BRFite

Post by jambudvipa »

Mods,my post count has plunged from 102 to 97.Im back to being a trainee now :shock:
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

We need to fix the MYSQL Connections issue. Saw the error for an hour last night.

These should not occur if we have a dedicated server with a good configuration available.

Three options:
-- BRFites contribute and purchase a new dedicated server
-- I already have one that I use; BRF can hop on and split costs
-- I already have one that I use; BRF can hop on and bradmins owe me a favor .. :P (j/k) (mafia laughter)
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

jambudvipa wrote:Mods,my post count has plunged from 102 to 97.Im back to being a trainee now :shock:
This happens on and off whenever we delete threads from the trash can. Often the trash can has posts like:
IB4TL!
or
:mrgreen:
or
increasing post count onlee
So, all your hard work in all those IB4TLing posts is all lost in one click of the evil moderator.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

SriSri wrote:We need to fix the MYSQL Connections issue. Saw the error for an hour last night.

These should not occur if we have a dedicated server with a good configuration available.

Three options:
-- BRFites contribute and purchase a new dedicated server
-- I already have one that I use; BRF can hop on and split costs
-- I already have one that I use; BRF can hop on and bradmins owe me a favor .. :P (j/k) (mafia laughter)
It could have been due to me moving, manipulating, copying the RJB thread here and there.
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

archan wrote:It could have been due to me moving, manipulating, copying the RJB thread here and there.
:evil: :evil:
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Folks,
Would appreciate some help - The Ramjanmabhomi case judgement pdf's makes use of "KrutiDev010" font for Sanskrit/Hindi characters. Can someone tell me how I can copy-paste that here on BR. After installing the font, I'm able to view it in Word. But no luck with posting on BR. Would be useful to quote the Sanskrit portions too.
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

Upload the PDF on Scribd.com and share the link..
GeorgeM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by GeorgeM »

Can we have an 'Area of Expertise' selection for each member as they sign up. The idea is - each member gets to chose from 3 to 4 areas of their expertise (E.g. Project Management, Manufacturing, Embedded Systems, Control System, Avionics etc etc). Every time the member posts, right below his/her user name, the area of expertise also shows up. This would add value and legitimacy to the posts.
Not complaining, but it would seem to me that a few too many users with very little understanding of topics tend to talk like experts. But yes one can always pretend to be an expert, but for how long before they are exposed. Just my 2 paise comment
JVKrishnan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by JVKrishnan »

admins,

Can we have a "Indian semi conductor industry" thread?
Last edited by SSridhar on 09 Oct 2010 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OK, open it in the Technology Forum
Pratik_S
BRFite

Post by Pratik_S »

Can you change my handle name from smpratik to ########## and if space is not allowed Pratik_S###### ?
Last edited by archan on 13 Oct 2010 00:02, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: done. Though my opinion is using your full real name on internet forums is generally not a good idea.
Pratik_S
BRFite

Post by Pratik_S »

Thanks archan, do you suggest Pratik_S is better ?
Last edited by archan on 13 Oct 2010 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: it is.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

If not, 'Sherman Johnson' is available
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443453/fullcredits
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Some weird stuff. Is it me or have there been some new changes?

The top of each forum page has a menu that looks like this

Board index » Discussion Forums » Military Issues & History Forum

The board index shows a list of all forums and archives.

IIRC the forum index used to show only the discussion forums previously. Now it shows a list of "active topics" that fills the whole page with the forum index at the bottom. Kinda confusing - it wasn't always like this was it?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^^ Good morning! :mrgreen:
That happened a few months ago. I used to use the "Discussion Forums" link a lot before then, not any more. :cry:
I have made links to each forum on my firefox shortcut bar so going from Mil to Strat or GDF is a matter of 1 click.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Too many sticky threads!
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Mods/Admins, does the board software log all the IP addresses that might have been used by my log in over the past few days? If it does, i'd like to get in touch with you :)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Sriman, yes it does. PhpBB keeps a list of all IP addresses used by members. But forum privacy rules ensure that no IP addresses are passed on to any one else. ONly time these are used are for banning purposes.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

There is no direct link for Bharat Rakshak main site from the forums.
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

jamwal wrote:There is no direct link for Bharat Rakshak main site from the forums.
+1
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

Sir...the e-mail address I have provided...I don't want any message to be sent on that!!Can I give any new e-mail Id for anyone to send a message!

P.S.-Its a free e-mail!!The one I have provided is my brother's with his full consent!!
Last edited by archan on 04 Nov 2010 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't worry, we normally don't send emails to users anyway. We send PMs.
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

gurus im not able to login from firefox :( im using crappy IE 7 now. in firefox the password is accepted but instantaneously it returns back to the login page. what can i do ?
Rodrigo Rojas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rodrigo Rojas »

^ chiru garu, has happened to me before. Remove all the *.bharat-rakshak.com cookies (on firefox, right click on this page -> Page info -> Security -> View cookies) from firefox and login again
Last edited by Gerard on 28 Nov 2010 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: username changed to conform with forum guidelines
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

@ Rodrigo Rojas thank you dude it worked :)
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Jagangaru,
You have a mail.
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

MODS i want to advocate for a membership of a loooong time lurker ( 10 years :shock: ) who i met at the last bangalore meet what am i supposed to do ?? here is his e-khat astalavistaravi at hottmale daat com . others who attended the meet can vouch for him :)
manoba
BRFite

Post by manoba »

chiru wrote:gurus im not able to login from firefox :( im using crappy IE 7 now. in firefox the password is accepted but instantaneously it returns back to the login page. what can i do ?
I always have this problem with Safari. I couldn't login to the forum no matter what I do.
chiru wrote:MODS i want to advocate for a membership of a loooong time lurker ( 10 years :shock: ) who i met at the last bangalore meet what am i supposed to do ?? here is his e-khat astalavistaravi at hottmale daat com . others who attended the meet can vouch for him :)
Yes, I vouch for hasta la vista amigo.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Should UAV thread be renamed to Indian UAV thread? Last few posts has absolutely nothing to do with Nishant, Rustom or UCAV. It opens the gates for everything ,no?
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

Cant a button or two be included in the forum section whereupon jingos can "klik" either "Like" or "Dislike" on the postings by members? Ala Facebook?
AS