BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Kanson »

EDIT.
Last edited by Rahul M on 19 Mar 2010 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT post.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

OT
Last edited by Jagan on 20 Mar 2010 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT here
ravar
BRFite
Location: हिमालयम समारभ्य़ यावत हिन्दु सरोवरम, तम देव निर्मितम देशम हिन्दुस्थानम प्रचक्षते

Post by ravar »

“What’s in a name?” said the Bard of Avon once. The Kalidasa of the West himself having said this, I am no one to dispute.

Hence, not nitpicking, please take FWIW

The following usage (interchange) of words is one of the most recurring mistakes in English language and when I found it in BR in numerous posts (most of us do it inadvertently ), thought it might do well to point out.

i.e.- Wrongly using the word 'loose' (adj) where it should have been 'lose' (verb). This includes all the phrases where ‘lose’ is present as in ‘lose out’ (NOT ‘loose out’, SHOULD BE e.g.- “DRDO ‘loses’ out to Army on Arjun saga”) and also in examples like ‘lose money’ (NOT “ I tend to ‘loose’ money”), ‘lose temper’ etc…

‘Loose’ as you all know, is generally used as an adjective as in ‘loose clothes’. (though as a verb it is used as in “The minister ‘loosed ‘an angry tirade against the opposition.”

I understand that language evolves due to widespread usage and later popular acceptance, but this particular mistake is yet to evolve to the level where it has found its way to the Oxford/Cambridge/Webster as an accepted usage.

Also, one can tend to gain if used correctly outside the precincts of BR as well IMVHO.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Mods, please change my username to Chinmayanand ... :) TIA !!!
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

durgesh wrote:Mods, please change my username to Chinmayanand ... :) TIA !!!
you will have to contact AdMs using back channels(digitally of course), yelling here will get you nowhere.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

niran wrote:
durgesh wrote:Mods, please change my username to Chinmayanand ... :) TIA !!!
you will have to contact AdMs using back channels(digitally of course), yelling here will get you nowhere.
Actually this is the right thread to ask for a change of username.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Mods,

My user-id logs out randomly during browsing. I have to log in again and again. I use Google Chrome, and all the passwords save settings are On. It does not happen for any other site. Only for BR, my Id logs out. Sometimes during browsing, and sometimes when I open the site after 1-2 days. Kindly see.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Akshut wrote:Mods,

My user-id logs out randomly during browsing. I have to log in again and again. I use Google Chrome, and all the passwords save settings are On. It does not happen for any other site. Only for BR, my Id logs out. Sometimes during browsing, and sometimes when I open the site after 1-2 days. Kindly see.
See if it happens with some other browser too. I use IE and FF and I haven't seen this issue.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

I have only IE, but it works quite slow compared to Chrome. maybe it's just my PC, but Chrome is much faster after some settings changes, than IE. i'l try FF.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I use chrome. haven't faced any problem and I use the "save username and password" facility too. I actually don't remember the last time I actually entered my name and password to log in.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Akshut wrote:Mods,

Same problem faced by me too. I use Chrome. Will try other browsers
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

You don't have to save password. While logging in, if you select the "keep me signed in", it writes a cookie and you won't have to login for some time (around 30 days or so i think).
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

putnanja wrote:You don't have to save password. While logging in, if you select the "keep me signed in", it writes a cookie and you won't have to login for some time (around 30 days or so i think).
Yes, I have done that. But I have to log in randomly. Sometimes the next day, sometimes after a week. The problem had appeared in January, got rectified by itself, and has popped again now
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Yes me too. It's kinda annoying. When I click "Post Reply", it takes me to the Login page, even when I was previously logged in.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

I have been working on a short story for a long time now. I wish to put it up to the discerning eyes of fellow BRFites. Mods, should I continue in the existing story/scenario thread?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

What's the story about?
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

It is a imaginary military scenario.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

why not put it in the current thread, other scenarios were moved because they were not strictly mil scenarios, (dileep saar's and sanku ji's). scenarios thread is quiet these days, fill the vacuum !
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

I just hope that images being posted from some service officials picasa albums have been posted with their consent and knowledge.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

AnimeshP wrote:I just hope that images being posted from some service officials picasa albums have been posted with their consent and knowledge.
Not our call. The officer posted them as public albums - he probably knows better.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Jagan wrote:
AnimeshP wrote:I just hope that images being posted from some service officials picasa albums have been posted with their consent and knowledge.
Not our call. The officer posted them as public albums - he probably knows better.
The only reason why I brought it up is that I noticed a lot of family photographs within that album as well ... A lot of people are not that internet savvy and I'm guessing that if someone puts his/her photo in a public album, it still is not a licence to post them in web forums which are accessed by hundreds if not thousands of people.

However, if the mods are OK with it I have no issues ... just wanted to know BR policy on this matter ...
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Why is the cricket thread visible only after logging in but Sports & Entertainment thread not so. Could both not be kept visible w/o having to log in?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

One is under the burqa (GD forum), while the other is exposed (TE forum)
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Admin/Moderate can we have thread for IAF News and discussion !?

Ankit
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

How does "Indian Military Aviation" thread not suffice for this purpose?
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Gaur wrote:How does "Indian Military Aviation" thread not suffice for this purpose?
Thanks for pointing the thread.

Ankit
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Admins,
from time to time on the Chinese side, and regularly on POWI side, articles come out about "war/military campaign plans for India". We always appear to think on "reactive" terms. Mostly we discuss, what we will do if POWI or PRC attacks. Why not think otherwise - take initiative even in "unreal projections"? I would like to start a thread on "Liberation of occupied Tibet, Punjab, Sind and Balochistan". Should include discussion on military campaigns, but can include political, covert actions. If acceptable, where to place it in "Mil" or "strat" forum? Gievn length retsrictions for headers could also be titled "Liberation of oppressed peoples under China and Pakistan".
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

POK is part of India. Its peoples are Indians. They are not a "separate" people. Circumstance sees it under military occupation by a foreign power. That is a question of outright war. But you have a point,a nd I was really in a dilemma over this point. Also one of the reasons to suggest the later header.
Kavu
BRFite

Post by Kavu »

Archan wrote: ** Moderator note** See the boldfaced part above? now go figure out a better way to express whatever it is you want to. I have issued a formal warning to you for the above "idiotic, foolish" statement. Take that attitude elsewhere, it won't survive long here ***
Dear Archan,

I am using the main board since for some reason I am not privy to send messages, People over here say the PM of this country is a traitor on a regular basis,or calling Jesus and Mohammed whatever names is all good, but say something about Ram or castism or Russia; you are in for it. and a passing comment on my fellow countrymen being idiotic and over emotional fools is a problem. I cannot say a general statement like most Indian are fools,
Why you dont like a new boy showing similar attitude as dished out by the old gaurds. You have also previously warned me for saying something general, and I am sure this message would be another offense or more likely a ban, and for people who have been here long, will get away with anything. And, moreover you sure can see my IP as well as the origin of my personal email as well as my full name, you would know I am an Indian. I think I have every right, to say what I did. But you are a moderator, therefore in this world of BR, you can do what you can, and I am sure you are not quite fond of me here. Therefore do whatever you want. I stick by my statement, as any normal human being can understand the spirit of the statement I made.

archan wrote:Kavu,
If you have any issues with moderation, please feel free to raise them in the feedback thread or through personal emails to the webmasters but please do not post OT here. I will move the above post to the trash as it does not belong here. You can find it in the trash 4545 thread later if you need to.
I have nothing to put in the feedback forum, if you cant see the blantant irregularities in your Moderations what can I say, which happens, since you are a human, therefore have emotions and ego's. I havent abused anyone in BR ever, I once shouted at the government in general called them the four letter word for the death 75 of our jawans, and now this. If you think they both are worth being issued formal warnings, then by all means. You would just loose me as a Poster, but then again BR would survive. You can delete all of this.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

BRF logo at the top of this forum seems to have been removed accidentally. All I see are the words, "Click here to go to the home page".
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Working fine here
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

jamwal wrote:Working fine here

yeah main site was down and the logo is pulled from www. and not from forums.

but main site is back up now.. so no problems now
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

From TSP thread:
ramana wrote:
jamwal wrote:SSridhar jee,
You should start your own blog. For real .
Can you help start a running blog where he and others can post? Starting a own blog takes lot of time to police it for comments etc. We need to help each other to ensure the thinkers can think and not be dragged into mundane tasks like policing blog comments etc.

What I am thinking is a tag team of two three memebrs who can support the bloggers.
Any pointers ? What's halaal and what's not ?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

jamwal, can you please send me mail at raptor underscore ss AT Hotm. . . ?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Mail sent
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Please clean up the Multimedia thread and reopen it. It is too valuable a thread to be thrown away.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

(moved this from the announcements thread)

Adminullahs,

Why is the login page not SSLed ? Its possible to intercept username/password without SSL. I think its vulnerable to phishing attacks too. Its very serious matter. Blij to kaansider.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Archan ji you have a mail in your yahoo account.
ForumAdmin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ForumAdmin »

Announcement

Board template has been changed for all members across the board pending forum upgrade.

Please get used to this .. this is how it will be for a few days...